Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited

I haven't really seen this around, so why not make one? This is basically where you can ask any sort of question you want about roller coasters, keeping it reasonable. When you have a question, why spend forever searching the internet for the answer, when someone right here at the forums might just know the answer you're looking for. So go right ahead, ask away...

I'll start us off, does anyone know the lift angle of Intamin hypers, such as Bizarro, at Six Flags New England? (I'm not asking for Bizarro's lift angle, but just giving an example of the type of coaster.) Thanks in advance!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012

^I think its about 45 or 50*. Not sure though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012

To me, it appears to be around 25 to 30 degrees. The number 28 comes to mind, but I'm not positive.
    25 degrees is extremely low. I don't think any lifts are that low.
    25 degree angle

Bizarro
    looking at that picture 28-30 looks about perfect.
    Posted By: JAKool^I think its about 45 or 50*. Not sure though.

I would say 35 at most, 50 isn't even close.

I have no questions, carry on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012

I actually have a question. Does anybody know if GCI heartlines their rides?
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

yeah i would say 35 is good. skyrush is 50 though so if you were building a newer style it would be 45 to 50
    Posted By: IntaLSMI actually have a question. Does anybody know if GCI heartlines their rides?

They somewhat heartline certain segments and transitions of their rides. Their drops, I doubt are heartlined.

•  
      CommentAuthorp0wn4g3

What do they do in the event a vertical coaster gets stuck on the lift?
    Also I'm back after a year break from No Limits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

^^^^that!!!!i have wanted to know that for a while
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012 edited

Yes I am serious, Ling! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

... You serious JAKool?
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

what is a good radius for the start of a B&M hyper lift? and also for the pullout at the top, before it goes parabolic?
    ^ Maybe around 7 to 6.75, I think.

Also for the largest hills around 60 degrees.
    • CommentAuthorI305

O. K., does anyone know how to make an overbanked turn in Newton 2? (Like the one in Bizarro.) Which segments should I use? What should the orientation be? I need to know things like this. Thanks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress

Posted By: IntaLSMI actually have a question. Does anybody know if GCI heartlines their rides?

Yes, they do, though some sections are less obvious than others. GCI has really found a unique way to manipulate their tracks to give amazing sensations, but they are indeed heartlined.
    What happened to the Timberliner trains for Voyage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorIbanez

Would you guys like a No Limits Coaster Movie?! With lots of small sequences of the best NL-Coasters.
    I got the Idea from here: The Apple Tree imagine this just not with films but with NL coasters^^
    • CommentAuthorOnjin

An AHG Question:

Since I'm apparently mentally handicap, how do I color code a track properly and # of segments, filter #, etc., in AHG. I'm not understanding the basic instructions in the read me file. Derrr. I know loops and rolls are colored all black, I'm just not sure how to get transitions and how to smoothly connect the ahg track back to the brake run or can I use the entire track from station to brake and last piece?

Feel like a noob, lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ Throw AHG out by your window.

^^ Could be cool. On a beside note, did you know a RCT movie was/is in preparation? :p

^^^ I don't know.. The first year, they wanted to see how Timberliners react on Twister, Wooden Warrior and co...I heard they had to rework the trains to get ready for a strongest layout, but then I didn't hear any news. :|
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

^^ The over 90ยบ section must be all black, the rest all green. You just have to put the track from the end of the drop to the beginning of the brake. If it doesn't work, just use ye good ol' handbuilding.

Or newton :X ...
    s4mumu, the information in your first sentence *may* work for you, but it doesn't really make sense to me. What's your logic for using that technique with the black and green segments?
    My x-car track does not show up in Construction kit. Does the Construction kit not support this kind of coaster?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^No. I would change it to B&M.
    • CommentAuthorNoLimitzki

No because the Construction Kit is much older than than NL 1.7.
    Posted By: IbanezWould you guys like a No Limits Coaster Movie?! With lots of small sequences of the best NL-Coasters.
    I got the Idea from here:The Apple Treeimagine this just not with films but with NL coasters^^

I had always thought of doing something like that for NL1 once NL2 is about to come out. Like a farewell video thing just for kicks showing the best rides over the years and the progression through building styles and tools.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Coaster

^That might be cool, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, wont we be able to import tracks from NL1 into NL2? So nothing would really be lost of leaving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

No, you can import from NL1 to NL2, just not the other way around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIbanez

I cant wait to see all my coasters in NL2 !
    Posted By: Mr. CoasterSo nothing would really be lost of leaving.

Nothing would be "lost", but it would just be an interesting way to see visually how NL has grown over the past decade.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012

Posted By: IbanezI cant wait to see all my coasters in NL2 !

Yeah, I know! (I'll bet Europe will be even more schemxy with the blitz trains)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiMiT
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited

Dear Arrow,
    Why does the Tennessee Tornado have such strange shaping? I know it was your last custom looping roller coaster, but why are the loops so round, and why does the sidewinder look like a B&M Immelmann? And why such the short layout? Not that I don't like it, my question is just why is this one so much different than the rest?
    Thanks - Lucas
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Posted By: DC High Heats4mumu, the information in your first sentence *may* work for you, but it doesn't really make sense to me. What's your logic for using that technique with the black and green segments?

Sorry, I explained myself wrong (too tired). I meant that every inverting and airtime providing part must be black, otherwise it will screw them. For the rest, I you don't want to change the banking, keep it black. If you want to change the banking untile there are no lats, make it green. And if you want something between black and green, make it red. Hop it helped :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: LiMiTDear Arrow,
    Why does the Tennessee Tornado have such strange shaping? I know it was your last custom looping roller coaster, but why are the loops so round, and why does the sidewinder look like a B&M Immelmann? And why such the short layout? Not that I don't like it, my question is just why is this one so much different than the rest?
    Thanks - Lucas

Tennessee Tornado is one of the three last Arrow, along with Road Runner Express and Roller Coaster.

I think they are FVD'ed, that's why the shaping looks different.

Yeah, I just noticed that they're actually heartlined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

I don't know if I would call it heartlined, they just didn't coat hanger the track...
    Posted By: IntaLSMthey just didn't coat hanger the track...

Ron used COAT HANGERS for track designing!? How's that even possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Coat hanger means then shaped the ride by eye, there were no machines involved in the track shaping. This made for a very rough ride (any Arrow coaster) and the reason the transitions were strait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Hum, I think coat hangers were used for visualising a layout, but then some calculus and geometrical designs were implied.. ;)

Edit :

Why, Gerstlauer, why?

O_O
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

I don't know what to think about that... 0.o Looks painful...very painful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912

Actually I saw that barrel roll on the POV and it looked fantastic. Interesting use of lats, definitely not painful (TPR said the ride was very smooth).

An even more interesting thing about Tennessee Tornado is that the big loop uses lateral G's to create the Z shape. Look up a POV and see what I mean, you can see the track move sideways with two different transitions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I don't think there's any lats (the Eurofighter), at least not more than in an usual heartline roll, but it seems that the negative Gs start earlier. It's certainly smooth, only weird looking at a first glance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

So an ejector heartline roll. They have thought of everything, haven't they :P
    Yeah, I actually think it's innovative of Gerstlauer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012

I actually have never felt 0g in a heartline roll (floater at least). It has always been like rolling while you are hanging upside down.
    Does the Zero g in Cheetah hunt count as actually 0?
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012

Zero g rolls are different than heart line rolls. A zero g roll is a parabola, but the track rotates 360 degrees around the heartline of the parabola. If you don't know what a parabol is, basically it is the path a ball throughs when you through it at an angle through the air. This provides 0g. A heart line roll is simply a straight piece of track with a 360 roll, so it makes sense that in a heart line roll, one would experience more than 0g in a heartline roll.
    I have a question:

I know that the shape of the B&M track creates a "roaring" sound. But how does sand help in reducing the noise caused by the track?
    • CommentAuthorNoLimitzki
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012 edited

It's a damper. It absorbs the vibrations in a way similar to smothering someone with a pillow.

But in a less morbid context, it's similar to palm muting on guitar or putting a pillow in a bass drum. The sand (or palm or pillow) doesn't resonate like the track spine (or guitar string or drum head), so the vibrations are absorbed.