Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited

FVD++ v0.77:

- fixed export of individual sections
    - fixed force based sections not saving constant speed
    - changed to Qt 5.2.1, qcustomplot 1.2.1 and glm 0.9.5.1-1

Not much has changed if you are a normal user of the program, so don't update if you are currently working on a big coaster project. This version will be the last that I solely worked on due to me starting to work in the industry. Therefore I've opened up the sources a few days ago. If you are a developer and interested in contributing to FVD++ please visit the project's github.

Download:

FVD++ v0.77 and Documentation

Greetings,
    Lenny
    Do you have to install that stupid ilivid thing to download?
    As for a better file sharing site I'd try mediafire or maybe trying to contact one of the mods to see if they can host it on the main site.
    The download is the little tiny box to the right of the ilivid thing.

Just use mediafire.

Edit: I'm having a problem with glew32.dll

I believe that you forgot to include it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012

^done
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

It's still missing...
    He was replying to me saying use mediafire.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: gigacoasterfanEdit: I'm having a problem with glew32.dll

I'm sorry, included the file now too, check download link in the first post.
    • CommentAuthorfrutiemax

I installed glew-1.8.0 a while ago so I just copy paste the missing dll into the directory, but I'm sad to see that all I see is a white line because it uses OpenGL 3.1... I hope you somehow make it to be at least compatible with OpenGL 2x with missing visualizations... I can see the timewarp zones though.
    I'm assuming that the speed is in Meters per second. Correct?

stupid question.

EDIT: Also, there is already a framerate increase from Newton.

EDIT2: I am having trouble adjusting the duration of a force based segment.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: gigacoasterfan
    EDIT2: I am having trouble adjusting the duration of a force based segment.

It sets itself automatically by the length of the shortest function. Just make your lateral normal and roll function longer and the section gets longer.

I'm gonna sign out now, it's 4:15 am in Germany, gotta sleep ;)

Greetings, Lenny
    Your tool is awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Do you guys have any idea what the friction values on this program are in relation to the ones given for Newton? Are they even comparable, or do you just have to play around with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

1. When I ride your example track in the NL Editor, the second zero G roll wobbles quite abnormally...
    2. Is it possible to scale the graph panel so it isn't stretched out that much?
    3. It would be nice to have explanations/graphs that show the different transition types and the options of them (scroll-down-menu)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Scroll on your mousewheel/trackpad to zoom in and out of the graph panel :)
    Edit: Spelling fail
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

^Thanks, I've just found that out by accident...

4.Why isn't the "Roll Function" simply called "Roll Change"?
    5. The ability to manipulate the roll values directly would be useful (at least to me).
    6. The right axis always says its about the forces, but in geometric sections it shows the pitch/yaw changes in degrees/second.
    7. It would be quite useful to have a locking feature for graphs so they adapt the length of the other graphs.
    8. Another proposal for future versions: Changing the orientations from roll per second to roll per meter and so on...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: rcrider4Do you guys have any idea what the friction values on this program are in relation to the ones given for Newton? Are they even comparable, or do you just have to play around with it?

The standard value of 0.24 should do the trick on your first go. From then on you can adjust accordingly. Increase the value to have more friction, decrease to have less (a value of 0.0 is friction-less). Values between 0.20 and 0.36 should be common.

Posted By: L Bosch1. When I ride your example track in the NL Editor, the second zero G roll wobbles quite abnormally...

Can someone confirm this? Is your heartline on the top view of NL not straight? Try smoothing the zero-g roll inside NL and see if anything noteworthy happens, if not, the export was fine. The problem with the second Zero-G roll is, that the roll speed is quite fast in a rather slow element (see roll-speed visualisation), such that the track has to bend quite heavily to sustain a straight heartline.

Posted By: L Bosch
    3. It would be nice to have explanations/graphs that show the different transition types and the options of them (scroll-down-menu)

7. It would be quite useful to have a locking feature for graphs so they adapt the length of the other graphs.

Yeah, but bear with me putting in such comfort features.

Posted By: L Bosch4.Why isn't the "RollFunction" simply called "Roll Change"?

6. The right axis always says its about the forces, but in geometric sections it shows the pitch/yaw changes in degrees/second.

You're right and I must admit that I was too lazy changing some names after I changed their implementation. I have to correct you though because only the pitch change is displayed using the right y-Axis. Yaw and roll change use the left one.

8. Another proposal for future versions: Changing the orientations from roll per second to roll per meter and so on...

This is actually something I have thought about in a while now. Would be especially useful to get perfectly round helixes using geometric sections based on yaw change measured in degrees per meter rather than degrees per second :O

5. The ability to manipulate the roll values directly would be useful (at least to me).

This will be done for sure with Euler orientation. About quaternion I'm not sure because in quaternion things get weird when using the function plotter (the function will show roll of 0 while the track has some arbitrary roll -> unintuitive).

Greetings, Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

Thanks for the answers ;)

9. Having a POV mode with a constant velocity would be nice!
    10. The anchor point has to start with 1g normal, could this become a customizable value?
    • CommentAuthorROLLER97

11. Can you add a possibility to change values with sliders? That would be really useful.
    12. The ability to press delete to remove a selected section
    13. I can't change the values on a geometric section? --> The whole section doesn't seem to work --> I think I made it work
    14. Maybe add buttons below the section part to add a certain section in stead of right-clicking?
    15. Could you add the letters X, Y, and Z to the coordinates?
    16. It seems that you can only edit the values when you have the graph selected, that is, when I have roll function selected, and I want to edit the normal force, I have to select the graph of the normal force. Could you make it to be able to change the part you're changing just by clicking on the tab in the sections menu?
    17. Could you add a slider down at the graph?
    would it be possible to have visual reference with the part of the track your editing. (track lights up on the selected part your editing. not one whole section as in newton, but one force/roll zone.) should make it much easier to see what you're doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

18. Just like in newton, the anchor point could have a starting yaw (already there), pitch and roll values, where the last two ones are missing in the current version of FVD++
    • CommentAuthorROLLER97

19. UNDO AND REDO!!!!
    no seriously, you really need to do that
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

20. Maybe add a clickbox to disable the graph filling (colored areas between the curve and the zero line)
    21. Different background colors
    22. Visible real values and second derivatives in the graphs (or just the one you are currently working with)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Keeping the cosmetics aside, I found a bug while exporting near vertical parts of track. Currently sitting on it, expect a minor update in a few days. (currently I export nearly vertical parts with rel-roll option on which apparently wasn't the best of ideas). The update will ONLY patch the exporter and every work done by you now can be used in the new version!
    Hmm, I exported an immelman, and it was fine. What was the bug?
    • CommentAuthorROLLER97

23. The ability to click a section in the visual part to select that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

@altlenny:

Which SL and GL version is needed?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

GLSL version 1.3 -> OpenGL 3.0 (alternatively read the readme :O)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: gigacoasterfanHmm, I exported an immelman, and it was fine. What was the bug?

Try to build a coaster like TTD or kingda ka and you'll see probably.

EDIT: shit didn't mean to double post
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

24. Having smaller increments on number fields when pressing Ctrl (0.1 normally and 0.01 with Ctrl) and lager increments when pressing Shift (1 with Shift).

After some hours of experiments on FVD++ I'm reallly impressed how much more control it gives you in your designs. I have some elements here which were quite hard to build even in newton and now, they are much better and feel very realistic. Your idea of roll changes is the main improvement over newton here...

25. The numbers in the bar above the graphs should be paired: (start value) (end value) of the segment and (start value) (end value) of the selected transition including the changing speeds. I know this will easily double the amount of data displayed there but I love having these numbers to work with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan

Posted By: altlennyGLSL version 1.3 -> OpenGL 3.0 (alternatively read the readme :O)

Sorry ^^ next time I will read that at first :)

Btw: OpenGL 3.0 wont work
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why can't I download the tool? Mediafire says "The resource you are trying access belongs to an account that has not yet been validated." O_o

Could you upload it to another site (e. g. sendspace.com), please? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

should work now
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

A couple comments: when right-clicking on the track window and walking/flying around using the arrow keys and/or shift to increase speed, I'm finding it possible to have it get stuck walking forward. Basically start walking around and using shift and eventually this you will get stuck moving forward, undo-able only by right clicking again to exit the walk/fly view.

Also as a nitpick - I might recommend some interface (buttons? menu?) to add new sections rather than having right-clicking be the only way to access the menu. It's fine once you get used to it, but that first impression of "ok, how does this work" took some random clicking about until things started to make sense.

Running W7 x64, additional specs available upon request.

•  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

26. Have you thought about basic smoothing options during export?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

27. Is it possible to implement the feature to move forward by right-clicking and then left-clicking (similar to Newton)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

I prefer the WASD approach available now over the left/right click method
    This program is confusing the balls out of me with the degree per second thing. All of my steps in newton that I learned for "making an Intamin snap turn" are totally different now. Ughhh relearning. :(

That said, this program looks like the next step in graphical FVD and I'm kinda excited! Great work on your end... now to just do the work on my end and figure the damn thing out! lol
    Photobucket
    would it be possible to add euler and quaternion orientation? otherwise we wont be able to make things like a tophat. (as shown in the pic)

Posted By: BBSpeed26

Also as a nitpick - I might recommend some interface (buttons? menu?) to add new sections rather than having right-clicking be the only way to access the menu. It's fine once you get used to it, but that first impression of "ok, how does this work" took some random clicking about until things started to make sense.

I second this. took quite some time before everything started to make sense.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

I've had a play, and I found this a lot easier than Newton, which I really struggled with. Currently trying to make a banana roll for my launched eurofighter, I've made it halfway through, which is about 75% further than I ever did with Newton!

As such, I don't really have much to add - The only issue I've had so far is getting the "Roll" pane to open so I can play with the values, it seems I just have to click wildly on the graph in the bottom window to get it to open - Is there a knack to this?

Edit: Figured it out now!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: rctthebestwould it be possible to add euler and quaternion orientation? otherwise we wont be able to make things like a tophat. (as shown in the pic)

It is possible, just change the yaw.
    I would love how to use this but I have no idea how to lol
    • CommentAuthorPePpO

I think this is more difficult to use than Newton.
    I tested it 1 hour today. Some video tutorials would be nice!
    How do you get the roll to 0 AND GET IT TO STAY? Getting it to 0 is no problem (well, getting it close, but there aren't enough decimal places to get it exact), but then the next segment keeps it going at that rate. Is there a lock function somewhere? If not, that'd be great. Get it to be able to lock any roll for a time section.
    The roll is based on degrees per second.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012

It would be nice to be able to add more significant figures to the values.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012 edited

Posted By: mightbeawannabeHow do you get the roll to 0 AND GET IT TO STAY? Getting it to 0 is no problem (well, getting it close, but there aren't enough decimal places to get it exact), but then the next segment keeps it going at that rate. Is there a lock function somewhere? If not, that'd be great. Get it to be able to lock any roll for a time section.

Since it's degrees per second you have to make the function return to 0 on the graph to stop rolling. This does not mean it's banking is zero, just it's roll change. The way you shape your roll functions in this program is very different from Newton. Think as if you are creating the 1st derivative graph in Newton, not the actual roll graph. Because, well, you are.

The great thing about the roll carrying over is that you can sorta sidechain it to other segments and it still be smooth. In Newton, when you start a new multi-zone force section it's kinda noticeable, but with FVD++ the roll continues on and it sidechains seamlessly. Takes getting used to, but powerful.

Also to note: the vertical/lateral graphs are NOT derivatives, but actuals. So keep that in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

I just wanted to check in to say that this is flipping incredible. The UI is a bit... unpolished, but as for what the program can actually do... I am just floored. This is amazing. Coolest thing to happen to NL in literally years.

I get that I'm creating the 1st derivative, but are you confirming that I cannot stop the roll and get it 0 at the same time? I mean, like a drop and then a vertical loop. I can't do that in one force section? Or is there some other way I have to do it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Well you can. It's just really, really fiddly to do it. Sort of like lining up a brake run with a station in Newton, except you have to do it every time you want flat track.

In related news: how tough would it be to code a "seek zero banking" roll transition? Getting back to pure zero for brakeruns, top-hats, normal air hills, etc. can be... a bit of a chore?

• CommentAuthorPePpO

I would like to see an option for degrees per second and the easyer newton way!