Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited

As we all become accustomed to building in NL2, it seems like would be helpful to have a thread devoted to asking questions and sharing the tips & tricks we've discovered along the way. As questions get asked and answered, the NLE staff will go through them and consolidate these into an easy to read FAQ right here in the main post.

FAQ

Q. What are the shortcut keys for the editor?

A. See the list below (thanks to NLE user AIex for consolidating these!)

Spacebar = Select/Modify
    R = Rotate
    Q = Add Flange
    E = Add Freenode
    Y = Add Rail Connector
    O = Add Roll
    F = Add Footer
    . = Start Vertex
    L = Add Vertex
    V = Insert Vertex
    B = Add Beam
    X = Add Beam Node
    M = Set Terrain Markers
    T = Modify Terrain Markers
    F1 = Help Panel
    F2 = Vertex Panel
    F3 = Roll Point Panel
    F4 = Supports Panel
    F5 = Prefab Panel
    F6 = 4D Parameter
    F7 = Trigger Settings

Tips & Tricks

• Want to know how fast your coaster is going or how many Gs it's pulling at any point in the track? Hold your mouse over the speed or G-Force comb and the speed or Gs at that point will be displayed at the bottom of the editor:
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014

Something small that I found is when you press space bar in the editor, it changes so you can select/modify. It's not hard to press the "select/modify" button but the space bar is more convienent in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthornjr140

Is there any way to fix the banking? I'll just be making a flat curve and it will have a very slight banking.
    • CommentAuthorDojynn

How or where do you find the various comb filters to aid in building the track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

@njr140: Just add more banking nodes that tell NL2 how to roll properly. In NL1, each vertex contained roll information, in NL2 they luckily don't and need to be set up on their own.
    @Dohynn: It's the drop-down menu just after the Display button, to be found at the top of every viewport.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Here is a good tip.

There is a quicker way to ride your coasters from the editor. Load you park into the editor and then close just the editor and hit play. It will load the park much faster.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

Since I think my question got lost in the Post-Release Discussion thread and it seems this is the appropriate place to start asking questions,

Is there a way to call out dependent instances of elements inside an object in a script? I see that they are recognized by NL2 (a step above NL1), but you can't use the element name to call it out in a script.

For example, I make a box (named "Awesome") and then make an instance of the box (named "Imitation") and put it next to "Awesome". Both boxes appear in NL2. I now want to animate both boxes. I then run a script with the following section of code:

AwesomeBox = getElementForName("Awesome");
    ImitationBox = getElementForName("Imitation");

If I check to make sure it has found the elements, it has found "Awesome" just fine, but can't locate "Imitation". Not sure if one of the devs know how to properly call this out (or if it's possible). I'm using 3ds Max 2013 to create the object.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters

two questions : how can i make a good looking connector because it always looks not nice if i connect a free node with a connector
    and are the prefabs all in the style of b&m ? because it looks very strange on a mack coaster
    How exactly would I make a script so that a coaster comes to a stop on a brake for a few seconds and then is launched backwards?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688

Finally was able to get my hands on the demo, very impressed so far.

Edit - nevermind, found what I was looking for :-)
    There's one thing I noticed about the G-force comb: the forces seem to differ between the simulator & the editor. I'm not sure if it's calculated from the center car of the train or the front, but my forces are .5gs more/less when riding in the simulator as opposed to what the G-force comb tell me.
    • CommentAuthorKaiju

I think the G-force comb is based on the center of the train.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

If I might make a request: if you have a question and figure it out before someone answers you, instead of editing your post to delete the question, just edit your post to add an answer to your own question. Chances are if you had an issue with it, someone else might too, and they'll appreciate knowing the solution that you found.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Is there any way to "Save as..." a park?
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

^Been asked two times already, it's not possible on purpose in NL2 itself due to the file structure of parks. Feel free to copy the whole park directory to another place /name to make a copy.
    • CommentAuthortplowman91

I have a question for anyone who might know... I am really hoping we can change the lift hill sound for wooden coasters. I know I've been able to change the lift hill sound in NL1 for all coasters except wooden ones. Can anyone describe how you do it for the wooden coasters in NL2 if they know how?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you hide the wooden ties on the Vekoma Minetrain? My jetcoasters that use that style would look much better.
    • CommentAuthorBlackMamba

I had black shadows on scenery so I tried the Anim8or trick. But now all the textures are gone, only material. Does somebody know what to do? Thanks.
    Try putting the textures in the folder for your park.
    Is there any way to test within the editor? I don't believe it'd been answered in the other topic.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

No, but you can jump from the editor to "play" mode without freezing your track and it runs a wireframe version for quick testing without having to render everything out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

After saving you can go into that directory and copy/paste/rename the copy. The back up save file you see is the previous save version.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Is it possible to get into "ride view" with the wireframe model for quick pacing checks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014

How do you get two parallel stations to merge into one building?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

^^ No, but keep using the speed combs to get a feel for how fast you are going. You have to freeze the coaster to ride it.

^ Place the stations close enough and the engine will auto combine them into one building.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited

It should do it automatically if they're close enough together. I tried it and it worked fine. Are you making duel loading stations?

EDIT: You beat me to that answer by a few seconds, ride_op haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

^Yeah, I have them right next to each other but far enough part like the flyer station in one of the premade tracks, yet it doesn't combine.
    EDIT: nvm got them to combine one was a tiny bit raised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAussieMine

I have a question, that maintenance vehicle that you guys talked about, is that in the editor somewhere to place?
    That was an april fools joke.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

Hey guys, I've got a question.

Do any of you know how to "smooth" the track to remove pumps or if there is a tool that can be used. I made a vertical loop on an angle and it keeps getting funky in a few spots, no matter what I try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Select the vertices of the place you want to smooth, then go to the elements tab and select the depumper.

Posted By: rcrider4Select the vertices of the place you want to smooth, then go to the elements tab and select the depumper.

Thanks friend! I knew there was a way.

BTW How do you put a set of lift stairs on a lift? For whatever reason it doesn't seem like a corkscrew coaster does it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Select the track (not the vertices, but the track itself) that you want to put catwalks on, then go to the track tab and click on the Style Settings button. You'll see the option there.

^ Wow... I'm an idiot. I was clicking the wrong thing. thanks.

As for my previous question about the pumps. I did what you said, and apparently it's just my coaster going too fast through there that it causes a camera to shake violently. Well adds some realism to an arrow/ vekoma coaster creation right.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

You can turn that off too - under the Setup menu, just uncheck the Vibration Effects box and it'll stop doing that.

How can I make the transfer track have 3 rows with two tracks, so I can have one parked right where it is yet continue normal operation?

Any tips for controlling your lateral forces? I've tried the obvious things: adding/subtracting roll nodes and adjusting shaping, all while maintaining the "no lateral" constraint. I also gave manually entering my roll values while adjusting shaping until the G-Force comb shows minimal lateral acceleration. All this, to no avail. My forces are still running wild in the simulator, and appear to be much greater than what the comb in the editor leads on..

•  
      CommentAuthorLing

I think the forces are calculated based on a single car, from the dead center heartline. So seats on either side of that will be affected differently, and having an actual 5+ car train will alter the forces further.

That said, I haven't found a good way to control lateral forces either except to make huge sweeping turns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

^^ You don't use the transfer track itself to store the train. You add a storage track and connect it to the transfer track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Double transfer tracks (like those found on many Arrow and GCI coasters) are on our list of future updates to consider.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorAnubisLive

I've been stupid enough to build my coaster backwards.... Is there anyway i could just reverse the direction of the rollercoaster?
    • CommentAuthorROARschach

^ Try that:
    open your coaster properties, trains tab, and select "run backwards"
    • CommentAuthorgronji2004

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how to raise / lower terrain in perspective view at the click of a mouse button on the area you want raised / lowered? Also how to paint different ground textures at the push of the mouse?

Cheers,
    Alex
    • CommentAuthorMilBee

Posted By: gronji2004Hey Guys,

Does anyone know how to raise / lower terrain in perspective view at the click of a mouse button on the area you want raised / lowered? Also how to paint different ground textures at the push of the mouse?

Cheers,
    Alex

To raise and lower the land you need to have "Modify Marker" clicked.

All the default textures are autopaint so the only way I found that you can paint your own textures is to make your own. When you're making your own, make sure you DONT click auto paint. Then you can select the texture you just made and click the "Paint Layer" button.
    • CommentAuthorAnubisLive

Posted By: ROARschach^ Try that:
    open your coaster properties, trains tab, and select "run backwards"

Nope, that just turns around the coastercar, not the track. the track was edited backwards...
    Posted By: ride_opDouble transfer tracks (like those found on many Arrow and GCI coasters) are on our list of future updates to consider.

-Ride_Op

Thanks for the response! I am having so much fun building tracks, and even though I'm still learning my coasters are already a lot better by handbuilding!
    I couldn't find this anywhere else so I apologize if it's been asked before, but how do you activate the splashdown on the B&M Hyper with scoops? I've looked and I can't figure it out.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Scenery -> Choose -> Library -> Splash -> Splash Effect.

Place it on the track over a section of water where you want the splash to occur. Job done :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

String triggerName = "TriggerLift1";
    TrackTrigger tTrainEntersLift1Trigger = coaster.getTrackTrigger(triggerName);

if (tTrainEntersLift1Trigger == null) {
    System.err.println("Trigger not found");
    return false;
    }

Waiting for scripts to finish...

Exception: NullPointerException
    at public bool Blocks.onInit() in line 43
    at public final void com.nolimitscoaster.Script.run()

(Line 43 is TrackTrigger tTrainEntersLift1Trigger = coaster.getTrackTrigger(triggerName);)

Anyone knows how to solve it?
    • CommentAuthordjcraze90

Posted By: rcth
    String triggerName = "TriggerLift1";
    TrackTrigger tTrainEntersLift1Trigger = coaster.getTrackTrigger(triggerName);

if (tTrainEntersLift1Trigger == null) {
    System.err.println("Trigger not found");
    return false;
    }

Waiting for scripts to finish...

Exception: NullPointerException
    at public bool Blocks.onInit() in line 43
    at public final void com.nolimitscoaster.Script.run()

(Line 43 is TrackTrigger tTrainEntersLift1Trigger = coaster.getTrackTrigger(triggerName);)

Anyone knows how to solve it?

Your coaster variable is null. Where do you set it? Make sure that you're setting it properly.