Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014 edited

If you own 3D Studio Max, or other modeling software with a utility capable of optimizing a mesh while maintaining the UV's, then you can take advantage of the high resolution 3D scans available on the interwebs to create photo realistic terrain with almost no effort at all!

How this result was generated was very simple. First you will need a high resolution mesh. The 3D scans available at 123D Catch are beautiful and the system allows you to create your own. Here is the model we used for this demonstration.

The flashing was trimmed and the object cleaned up to make it blend better with itself. Then the object was copied, ten times in this case. Each copy was sized and rotated to avoid any obvious repetition in the pattern. Also in this case I was using the terrain from an old project file as a template that is not visible in the screen shot above.

Max allows instancing of modifiers. Simply select all of the objects and apply the ProOptimizer modifier to all of them at the same time. Changing the ProOpt parameters on any one object changes the parameters for all of the objects. This makes for quick and easy LODs.

The A level LOD has about 56K faces per object, very close to the 65K max.

The B and C level LODs were adjusted to minimize popping. NoLimits supports discrete LODs only for the custom settings, but more levels can always be added if popping appears too obvious.

The D level was set to the absolute minimum while maintaining the shape of the terrain. ProOptimizer does a great job and gets us down to less than 600 faces per object.

The LOD settings in NL2 were set aggressively close so that the A level isn't loaded until the camera is practically on top of the object. Some popping can be observed but it's not that bad.

That's all there is to it! I hope you guys get inspired to try this yourself. It's a stupidly easy way to add a ton of realism with minimal effort. Custom LODs are the best way to give your complex project the overhead you need to keep adding detail. The frame rate in this scene hovers between 90 and 120 on my GTX 760.

See a video of the result here.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014

That looks worth to drool a few buckets to the max! I wish i had the ability to work with 3dmax. Unfortunatly it´s over my buget. At least there is the chance to make a Community Set for all the non max user =) So hope is still alive... It looks superb! Thank you for sharing this awesome tip!
    • CommentAuthorLiroquai

That looks phenomenal. Also can't wait for the NL2 remake of my favourite coaster to be released!
    • CommentAuthorReal

Boom. Ill be doing this. Thanks Phyter!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014 edited

Very useful. Detailed looking and being able to keep high frame rate. Thanks. BTW, is that a revamped version of Thunderhead Falls? It was one of my favorite coasters in NL1, but now it looks a hundred times better!
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

That looks terrific. Instant bookmark in the hope to use these "new" techniques someday :D...
    • CommentAuthor0108daniel
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

Photo's not working :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

^ Yeah. Phyter, any chance you can reupload/relink those pictures?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

He's changing hosts right now. The links should be restored as soon as the transfer is complete and the domain updates.

-Ride_Op
    ^ will we see a height-map import for the terrain (SFMM's terrain is killing me slowly XD)
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Couldn't see pictures, opened the video, had a heart attack. 10/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015

Looks outstanding, now I am having an urge to do a Mountain coaster!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016

Any clue why the photos got lost again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016

...Did you really bump a post from the beginning of last year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016

:( It is in the resources section..