Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to the NoLimits 2 Resource Thread!

Guides and Tutorials:

Tools:

Pre-made Scripts:

Scripted Rides & Objects:

Object Packs & Resources:

If I've missed anything, comment below.

•  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2014

Thanks for writing it up!
    Like for the NL1 tools & downloads, I'm happy to host NL2 stuff as well. Just send me files and I'll upload them or provide FTP access, the domain will likely be lucasbosch.de/nolimits2-files/, but it isn't live yet.
    • CommentAuthorsalomo
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014

Thank you!;)
    And you've missed Script2Limits
    Here is the Link:

http://bobfans.be/S2L/
    Thanks, added. I was aware of it, but didn't know it was released yet, might try it out later!
    • CommentAuthor0108daniel
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014

Thanks!
    Only 2 object packs? :(
    I've made more then 35 objects and i can make it in a pack if there are some intressing :)
    Dave's sky-box tutorials are now added thanks to a high-praise recommendation by a community member.

Great vids Dave, sorry for not adding them before, don't know where my head was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHZGarfield
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015

Add this please

Attaching Objects to Track
    http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3793
    Added under pre-made scripts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015

For anybody who can't make skyboxes well or want to make a skybox from a real image, check this out!

http://gonchar.me/blog/goncharposts/2150

I'm glad that I found this, now I can make REAL cityscapes instead of fake stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

So once you've used that tool, how would you implement it within NL2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

You just convert the image files into JPEG's, and then that's all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Do you need to put them into specific folders, then how do you make the skybox complete in NL2? Thats what I meant.

I have no idea how to do any of this.
    Same way you would any other skybox. I tried it...looks like you have to pick the right image (duh) because it worked...but that's about all I can say. Maybe the width has to be 4x the height? Not sure. I think the image I used was too wide in relation to its height. Went quick though and was very easy to do (apparently been updated since someone posted that it took them forever) so it's worth a few more shots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: DC High HeatSame way you would any other skybox. I tried it...looks like you have to pick the right image (duh) because it worked...but that's about all I can say. Maybe the width has to be 4x the height? Not sure. I think the image I used was too wide in relation to its height. Went quick though and was very easy to do (apparently been updated since someone posted that it took them forever) so it's worth a few more shots.

Yeah, in order to make a good custom skybox, you obviously have to get a good image, possibly re-size it, and then convert it to JPEG to be used later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015

I've created a thread for all my smaller and bigger object and script packs, maybe you want to add this to the list, too.
    • CommentAuthorFLUXtrance
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015 edited

I've just released a Rock Pack for NL2. I haven't made a post on NLE yet, but I've heard news of a new NLC coming? Should I just wait for that? Anyway, here's the link to the video, screenshots, and a direct DL, if you'd like to add it to the custom content list :)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvSvJznuVHM

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j3vqwd3ex767b57/Flux's_NL2_Rock_Pack.rar

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/jovaE
    We'll take anything new you've put out! And we'll also likely move a lot of these links over to the new site when we get it running.

Thanks for your contribution, it looks fantastic as I've mentioned before. :)
    Blank Cartexture Pack

Download: CLCIK ME
    I'd just like to report that Dave's skybox tutorial is private and I can't access it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016

What tool did Dave use to cut up his skyboxes? Just when I needed to use his tutorial too! haha.
    • CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016

^Pano2VR
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

Mods, could you add this to the pre-made scripts please? It's Phyter's script for attaching objects to a train.
    I d'loaded it waaaay back as it used to be on here somewhere, but i can't seem to find it now. And i've seen people ask about it every so often, so i'm guessing not everyone has it yet.

Attaching Objects to Train

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

Done, thank your for the input!
    G-Force Limits

So after a lot of searching, I've gotten a copy of the "Blue Ribbon Panel Review of the Correlation Between Brain Injury and Roller Coaster Rides", which happens to contain the acceptable G-Force limits (in terms of G-force value and duration) for real-life roller coasters (from Section-7 of ASTM Z9591Z - “Standard Practice/Guide for the Design of Amusement Rides and Devices”)! These should be helpful when making "realistic" coasters in NL2. Keep in mind that these are absolute limits for real-life coasters, so you probably don't want to be constantly hitting these limits all the time lest you run the risk of your ride being really uncomfortable.

The news article on NLE that once contained this information (courtesy of BBSpeed26) no longer displays this info, so I tried to search for the source. If anyone wants a copy of the actual paper, here it is!

A few terms used and what they mean (thanks BBSpeed!):

Restraints

Base Case (Class 4 or 5 Restraint) – Some kind of restraint device that provides support to the lower body in all directions and maintains rider contact with the seat at all times.

Over-the-Shoulder (Class 5 Restraint) – Included in the base case, but with the added specification of being able to support the upper body.

Prone Restraint – The most common application of this is your standard flying coaster. A prone restraint is one where the rider is oriented “face down” at a point or at several points during the ride cycle. A prone restraint is designed to allow the patron to accept higher acceleration in the -Gx (eyes front) as compared to the Base Case and Over-the-Shoulder restraints.

Orientation

+Gx (Eyes Back) – For practical purposes, these are the Gs felt during a period of forward acceleration, such as a launch. Alternately, these are the Gs felt while on your back during a flying coaster’s loop.

-Gx (Eyes Front) – These are the Gs felt during a period of deceleration on a standard coaster, such as a brake run. Alternately, these are the Gs felt on your chest while in the flying position of a flying coaster.

+/-Gy (Eyes Left or Eyes Right) – Simply put, lateral Gs.

-Gz (Eyes Up) – Airtime, or in the case of a flying coaster, braking deceleration.

+Gz (Eyes Down) - Positive vertical Gs, or in the case of a flying coaster, the Gs felt on a launch track.

Wait, so if im reading that correctly, 3 lateral gs for 1 second is considered ok?
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

^...well, technically. 3 lateral gs for less than a second Shouldnt hurt anyone given proper support of the rider, but it's probably going to be quite uncomfortable. Remember, these aren't design targets but legal maximums. You can look at rides like drachen fire or I305 which were within this envelope but still had problems with rider comfort that warranted action (dismantling of drachen fire and reprofiling of I305).

It should also be noted that these are limits on the actual forces of the constructed ride and not the design. If your design pushes the boundaries of these limits and inconsistencies in the rides erection causes forces to exceed these, then the ride is not ok (there's been a lot of debate, but I believe this is what happened with that high speed roll on Maverick. The design was just inside this envelope, but it couldn't be fabricated/erected with enough precision to make it work in real life).
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

I think that a lot with lateral forces has to do with the rate of the onset, not just the force.

It's a shame that jerk doesn't get talked about more in the context of coasters. It's seemed very important when I've worked in FVD++, but I know very little about in compared to acceleration (the forces we talk about with coasters are just accelerations...G force is a measure of acceleration, not force).
    G stands for gravity. And can also be used in acceleration from different directions.

:D I like my school.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016

Posted By: BigbadIt's a shame that jerk doesn't get talked about more in the context of coasters.

Jerk is about the principal matter when it comes to coasters. It's not being discussed here (alas) because we might keep things simple, but I believe that in the industry it's the basic of all designs.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016 edited

Well, the plots aren't the whole standard. In fact, if you look at that blue ribbon report, it also lists jerk requirements for each of the three directions (and most will probably be surprised to see that you can undergo any jerk such that you keep the transition longer than 0.2 s in the lateral and acceleration directions or below 15 g/s in the vertical direction). Even still, that's not the whole standard. There's also limitations on how you can combine forces that isn't shown in the blue ribbon report.

I'm gonna state again that these are not requirements that make a comfortable ride (or a good ride at that), but requirements to prevent injury of rider. This is what coasters in the US have to legally meet to allow any riders on. If a coaster were designed at these limits, it would probably hurt like hell to ride and wouldn't be terribly popular.

Also, the standard this is from is officially "ASTM F2291-15". I believe "ASTM 9591Z" was a working designation while the standard was being updated several years ago, but is no longer relevant (though not sure if this is correct). You can buy a copy from ASTM for $71.00 if you simply Google ASTM F2291 (the 15 at the end of the designation means it is the 2015 revision). Also, most technical university libraries have a copy of the entire ASTM standards that can be checked out.

Also in support of the statement that these requirements don't make a good ride, this is from the scope of ASTM F2291:

ASTM F2291-15 Section 1.5This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.

So, although these are absolute maximums, safety is judged and agreed upon on an individual basis by all parties (the park, the coaster design company, local building officials, etc...) and thus even if you are within these standards, it doesn't mean you can't be held responsible if the ride causes injury. Welcome to the world of engineering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016 edited

^ Because you seem to know a bit about it: Isn't it even possible to exceed maximums (or minimums) of a standard if you can show it does not harm anyone or damage anything?

I was once told that those standards are actually made to make the engineering process easier (in theory) because you have some guidelines and when you follow them you can trust that you're within a save limit but this does not mean that you can't deviate from that standard.

And last but not least another country can have different (although they can be similar) standards and limitations.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016

Yes, you can exceed these so long as you prove it is safe (both to people and property).

Basically, you could have a scenario like the following:
    You want to design a launched ride that exerts 6.5 acceleration g's (+Gx) on riders. Obviously, that is outside of what is allowed by the standard. So you go to some company (or within your own company) and search for medical studies of what happens to people when exposed to similar accelerations as you want to apply. You then build a prototype of your system and attach dummies with instrumentation to verify that your constructed product works as planned in terms of forces. You could then go to the AHJ to get permission put people in your prototype to run further testing. Once you complete that testing and find that there isn't too much risk to life or property, you return to the AHJ and they give you the "ok" to go build it for the public.

This general process is called a code equivalency study. You are ultimately determining that even though you may be outside the bounds of the code, your design still embodies the "spirit" of the code and provides comparable levels of risk. In general, code equivalencies aren't typically used to exceed a specified standard, but instead to address a situation that isn't addressed in the standard. For forces on riders, it's pretty unlikely that you would have to this kind of a process because I suspect if you looked at what would happen if you exert forces outside of those permitted in the code that you would an "unacceptable" amount of risk of life or property. However, code equivalency is big part of specialty engineering (including rollercoasters). For example, the types of supports typical on a steel coaster (the structural steel tubing attached at all sorts of odd angles) isn't addressed in the structural codes (at least for US and Europe). It's a non-conventional use Hollow Structural Steel shapes. So, when a company like B&M or Intamin go to build a coaster, they run calculations to "prove" their designs have sufficient structural strength. They then submit those calculations to the AHJ for where ever the ride is being built and that person will give them an "ok".

I know ASTM standards are applicable in the US and several other countries have adopted them (which is why it's now called ASTM International). Still other countries have their own similar standards and some countries have no standard at all.
    Im sorry to bump such an old thread but i was wondering if anyone has a link to a download for more realistic coaster sounds (i think theres one by code but im not sure).
    Yes, need new chain lift hill sounds to replace the old rollback sound used since NL1 as well as the chain run sound that sounds like it is from a B&M invert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016

^&^^New sounds is one of my biggest wishes for NL2, more than any coaster style that is not featured in the game.
    ^^^^My biggest wishes for NL2 is Realistic watersprays, Splashes for diffrent type tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016

Make your wishes in the NL2 Wish List thread, this is the "resources thread" xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016

^^ Feel free to modify the parameters or exchange textures of my custom water splash effect to get the result that you want. It would be cool if you share your modifications then.
    When using the scripted flat rides. Besides just adding the rides in do I need to do anything else to get the ride to run correctly. I downloaded the Screamin Swing and it only moves a little bit and not the full swing when in the simulator.

EDIT: Nevermind. It started working. The flat ride wasn't operating correctly earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFüchschen
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016

Found an online-converter to convert
    AltpAc - LWO's to a much more usefull format:

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

Supported input file formats include 3DS, FBX, Blender, OBJ,
    DXF, LWO, STL, PLY and more than 25 others.

Output formats include Collada, 3DS, X,
    OBJ, PLY, STL (Text and Binary), JSON (Assimp2Json) and more.
    (Its free and they also work on a C4D converter)

very usefull, if you dont want to download/buy Milkshape just to convert that retarded format :>
    ^I use it all the time :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorFüchschen
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016

^
    Not sure how new this page is, but 10 month ago i reached google page 10 and didnt find a descent online converter :D
    This page is just awesome and makes life much more easy :)
    Added to list!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2017 edited

Added to the list is a wonderful pack of test dummies, provided by TheCreativeStudio. Thanks mate!

Download link
    ^AWESOME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFüchschen
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017 edited

found another neat website.

http://www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/

In case someone dont want to use plugins for normal maps / Bumpmaps
    >Load a texture and save the generated normal map.
    >Add normalmap to SCO
    >finish.

It is not as complex as crazybump, but it does the job.

Core functions:
    Bias: (slider) -> intensity of the bump
    Invert R: (checkbox) -> invert red | left/right
    Invert G: (checkbox) -> invert green | up/down

Blur: (checkbox)
    Amount: (slider)

-----

Its a very clean page / no ads / userfriendly interface / big preview window (full browser size)

im starting to think, that every tool could be found as a online solution.
    ^This I will use for sure, thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017

CARTEXTURE RELEASES

After a lot of debate with our members as to what Peak Amusements will release first our decision has been to release our brand new texture packs to the public! Now as there are a lot of them and we want to do them right we will be releasing them in phases coming out on certain weekends.

Each pack we release will come with multiple train styles in the form of a blank template for you to create your own cartextures as well as instructions on how to set up the included textures for a nice looking debadged train and (IN PHASE 1 ONLY) a set of recreation textures as an example of what can be done. Please find the details below as to what you can expect from each phase as well as when to expect them:

this is an example of what one of the templates will look like:

TO DOWNLOAD CLICK ONE OF THE LINK BELOW TO GO TO THE PACK PAGE

PHASE 1 (Release on Sunday February 12, 2017)
    Arrow Dynamics: Corkscrew and Suspended
    Bolliger & Mabillard: Dive Coaster, Floorless Coaster, Flying Coaster, Inverted Coaster, Mega Coaster (4 across and staggered), Sit Down Coaster, Stand-up Coaster, Wing Coaster
    Premier: LIM Coaster>
    PHASE 2 (Release on Sunday February 26, 2017)
    Gerstlauer: Bobsled Coaster, Eurofighter Coasters (x2), Infinity Coasters (x2), Spinning Coaster
    Intamin AG: Hyper Coaster, Inverted Impulse Coaster, Rocket Coaster
    Mack: Mega Coaster>
    PHASE 3 (Release TBA)
    Maurer: Spinning Coaster, X-Car
    Schwarzkopf: Lap Bar Looping Coaster, OTSR Looping Coaster
    Vekoma: Flying Dutchman, Inverted Coaster, Inverted Face To Face Coaster, Minetrain Coasters (x2), Motocoaster
    Zamperla: Spinning Coaster>
    PHASE 4 (Release TBA)
    Gravity Group: Timberliners
    Great Coasters International: Millennium Flyers
    Philadelphia Toboggan Company: Classic 2x2, Classic 2x3, Trailered Classic 2x2
    S&S: 4D Coaster

Today we will be releasing Phase 1 of our packs!
    You can see them on the CC exchange now!

As always we appreciate any feedback and constructive criticism! Let us know what you think below!

Click here to go to the released packs for Phase 1.