Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited

This is an elegant and simple solution to creating animations more complex than rotation scale and transformation.

Video Example 1
    Video Example 2

This opens the possibility for animations of liquids, cloths, animatronics, and all of it using a simple script. Literally any type of animation that could be looped or triggered and used as a prop!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

Brilliant! Huge advantage over keyframeing. But how was the file created?
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

This looks grear, but could you explain the technique a bit more please? Thanks.
    Any animated parts must be exported as .obj files that represent each frame, I found C4d has a batch import function for that so i can import them into one file, then save the file as .fbx. Loading that .fbx in lightwave automatically puts it in the right layers. The script cycles through each frame setting the next one visible and the previous one invisible, and it works like a charm with no lag!
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2014

Kyle,
    This is pretty slick. Could also be done in 3ds max by creating whatever animation you want and using the "Snapshot" tool to make all the objects. Definitely going to have to use this in future rides...now to figure out where...
    • CommentAuthorReal

Whats the load on the CPU going to be?
    ^^yep! Never used 3ds max but any way you can export the frames you can get it going.

^hardly any! It's the memory that takes a beating. The CPU only does two operations on each frame which is setting one element visible and another invisible.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Thanks for the explanation Kyle. This will be very useful for my project. And thanks to JetPulse for explaining what you have to do in 3dsMax. Animation is my weak point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

I'm certain Max can be scripted to make a copy of the object at each keyframe and produce the file in one step. I might just work on that this weekend.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

It definitely could be done with a single script in Max, although just doing it using the GUI only takes a couple steps as well:
    -Animate the object however you want.
    -Use "Snapshot" to make a copy of the object for each keyframe of the animation (which only takes a couple clicks). It will be named "[Object Name] [Frame Number]"
    -Export file to 3ds.
    -Create NL script to read an do the visibility triggering

This is actually surprisingly simple to do in Max. Well, we now know how to animate that cable for a hydraulic launch :)
    ^yep!

Also people will be much easier to script this way, with any animation being a preset animation that can be triggered. The script could load different groups of frames as array lists and run them.

The only question to the Devs is whether or not there is a way to have only one frame set visible in the editor when the object is placed, because it gets very Laggy otherwise..
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2014

Whats the CPU/FPS cost on these?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Will this technique help with making your double Habiolouis Flower Ferris Wheel easier to script and animate?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000

This is awesome, seriously major props Kyle, you have just changed the game!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2014 edited

Posted By: RealWhats the CPU/FPS cost on these?

Since only one object is being displayed and transformed at a time the performance hit should be incredibly low. The cost is mainly in memory. Many dozens of objects to load versus just one. I unfortunately didn't get around to playing with this technique yet but I will tonight. Goign to take a crack at animating a character model and getting it to walk on a path. :)
    • CommentAuthorReal

Let us know Phyter. Interested to see how this could open things up.
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane

^^Good luck lining the animation up with the transformation so its feet dont slide along XD

Should be really cool what people figure out how to do if they pick up on this
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

I wanted to generate a static walk cycle but I need a little more time to work with and understand that process in Max. So instead I downloaded a free mesh that was already rigged and simply assigned a standard .BIP mocap file. The walk cycle is not static, the character moves forward as part of the animation loop. But at least I did get the frame animation trick to work. Here is that result. Below is the shot of the actual scene object in the editor with all frames showing. The file is approximately 24MB.

Tomorrow if I have more time I will try to figure out Max animation tools and create a static walk cycle for a dynamic path walking character. A static walk cycle will be shorter with fewer frames and much smaller memory hit.
    • CommentAuthorReal

I already have visions of people creating crashing roller coasters ala RCT...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^ So NL2 "Ride for your Life!" is a thing again?! She walks like a zombie. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014 edited

Done and done.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVpSyrWf6oA&feature=youtu.be

You'll have to forgive the very goofy mocap animation. This was one of the few static (walk on spot) .BIPs that I could find.

In the future we'll have the ability to mocap on our own using PrioVR. For now this works as a good test of Kyle's frame animation technique. Truly I never thought of animating like this. Sure, there are some drawbacks, but it's a good retrofit for missing features. That's the advantage of having a scripting API over a set interface. :)

Park package: FrameAnimationPark.nl2pkg(5.2MB)

The object was free from Turbosquid so feel free to redistribute and use the script. The script is setup such that you should be able to plug in any .3DS model containing 3D frames into the NL2SCO file and it will work. But if you have any problems let me know.
    I wonder if this will lead to people creating functioning guest AI, that walk to coasters and ride them, then going to another place!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014

^It appears F├╝chschen has begun work on a similar idea...I doubt he knows about this specific method, though. This+what he's working on could lead to ultimately something VERY big for the future of NL2 parks and coasters.