Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014 edited

July 12th, 2014 // 4:00 PM GMT to 9:00 PM GMT
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Five Hours of Power // Official NoLimits-Exchange Contest

Above is an image showing the working hours in GMT and EST. Please convert to your timezone and be ready to participate at the very start of the first hour. The template file will be uploaded prior and made ready to download at the precise moment. Good luck and have fun!

The Five Hours of Power Contest will provide a challenge to a degree the community has never seen. Other contests have you work within time constraints, but now the limits have been constricted further - you will only have 5 hours to compete for completion in this contest.

How It Works
    • The template will be ready to download on July 12th, 2014 at 4:00 PM GMT
    • You must create a coaster in NoLimits 2 using an official provided template
    • You will have until 9:00 PM GMT (5 hours total) to build on this template from the moment it is posted
    • Creations must be uploaded to NLE before the 5 hour deadline. Allow yourself spare time for the uploading process
    • Please familiarize yourself with the rules prior to starting the contest

Rules
    • Any submission not using the template and/or submissions built prior to the contest will be disqualified
    • You can only use NoLimits 2 and entities packaged with it - no custom 3D scenery, environments, or cartextures. FVD++ is not allowed, but in-house formula design is allowed as it is inside the base program
    • No wooden coasters, including RMC/hybrids that use Auto Wooden Supports
    • No shuttle coasters - only complete circuit rides. Size of circuit does not matter
    • When your coaster is not frozen, coaster track and supports must be fully inside the drafted template. However, trees and pre-packaged NL2 scenery can be outside
    • Terrain & trees cannot be altered. Supports cannot be placed on the water, but your coaster's track and structure can go over
    • Only one tunnel is allowed for your track
    • No custom or pre-packaged scripts can be used on your coaster. Just keep it simple

The secret to win this contest is efficiency. Get your ideas on screen and start working them in. Perfection may not always be the answer when limited by time! Afterward the 5 hour period is up and all rides are uploaded, the staff will rate and review all tracks, and a winner is declared.
    im back from work at 6pm... might give it a go with 3 hours :P
    Scripts will be allowed correct?
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014 edited

^I've given it some thought and it can really go either way. However, I think that since scripts can be worked on prior to the contest, or can be "proprietary" to who made them before or who has downloaded them. It's not an even playing field (which is the other theme of the contest), so I'm unfortunately going to say no on that one.

I would've considered allowing pre-packaged scripts to be used, but I'd rather just make it simple and block them outright. These coasters don't need to be complex enough for scripts - dual stations scripted switch tracks will just have to be sacrificed I think. It's just going to be a lot easier to monitor the contest that way.

I'll go ahead and update the rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014

Dual stations ought to be okay since no scripting or special features are necessary (see the included coaster Flying Dragon, no scripts involved). Switches work automatically for the purposes of a dual loading station with no additional scripting required. Scripting only comes up when you try to make Expedition Everest style shuttle coasters. Of course 2 stations means that many more things to configure so you're eating into your build time. Up to you guys on allowing them.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthornesdude

I'm in. I have a bad habit over trying to get everything perfect (including dumb things like "oh that one turn isn't completely perfect even though it's smooth and it has a consistent radius") and never releasing anything. It'll be nice just to say screw it and finish a coaster, even if it's bad/not the best.

Since it's part of the default install, are the prefab supports fair game?
    • CommentAuthorVooDoo

Well it looks like I won't be able to participate, as I'll be away from home on Saturday. Oh well.
    • CommentAuthorDeftoneish

I'm in, I've got further time constraints though since my dinner gets served around then :P
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Good luck to all of you who enter. You should consider making a similar contest for FVD/Newton in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

I think I give it a chance, count me in, looks fun.
    So CET will be from 5 pm - 10 pm?
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014 edited

I know that feeling dapalm... I'm far more comfortable with FVD/Newton than handbuilding. Your suggestion may be a neat contest in the future. However, if you're still uncomfortable with handbuilding, now is your chance to learn! You can still get some practice in before the contest starts.

The nice thing about this contest is that due to the time constraint, nobody's looking to make a perfect track. If yours is horrible, just release it anyway! Nobody will judge you... except for us, of course ;)

If I wasn't judging, I'd be giving it a go myself even if it's 1/10 horrible. lol

EDIT: Yes, prefabs are allowed, as are custom supports.

Are regular switches allowed for storage tracks?

Anything you can do in the base game alone is allowed. So yes, switch storage tracks are allowed so long as they aren't running a custom script.
    • CommentAuthorrct800

Oh, how much I'd like to participate but I don't have any time on saturday because I will be away... :/
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

im in

5 hours should be plenty to drop a whole ride in

does the one tunnel count like Hades has, where we merge two tunnels into one to go under the water :)
    ^I'm guessing not, as you can't use 3DS to model a single large tunnel.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014

Posted By: AJClarke0912I know that feeling dapalm... I'm far more comfortable with FVD/Newton than handbuilding. Your suggestion may be a neat contest in the future. However, if you're still uncomfortable with handbuilding, now is your chance to learn! You can still get some practice in before the contest starts.

The nice thing about this contest is that due to the time constraint, nobody's looking to make a perfect track. If yours is horrible, just release it anyway! Nobody will judge you...except for us, of course ;)

If I wasn't judging, I'd be giving it a go myself even if it's 1/10 horrible. lol

EDIT: Yes, prefabs are allowed, as are custom supports.

Yeah, I'm learning to hand build, mostly for doing rough sketches for the coasters I'm going to redo later in FVD, but I don't think I'm on the level to do a decent coaster... Let alone making it in 5 hours. Maybe if there is another similar coaster in the future I will enter. But will be nice to see what people make in just 5 hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I've been hand building since the day nl2 was released, I feel pretty confident in my skills. Tips for everyone, Insert vertex is your best friend.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

Thinking ahead...what's the verdict on support structures (especially stations)? Technically built-in, but definitely easy to make something in advance...

What about terra-painting? Are we allowed to use it to make paths around the ride area?

• CommentAuthorSpike
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014

Is there any restriction on using another (non-functional) coaster track in the park for in game scenery, etc.?

Kind of goes hand in hand with JetPulse's question about support structure scenery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

I'll throw this in...winning coaster will grace our Facebook page!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

I really wish I could join... But I still have yet to make a track natively in NL2. And I'm also working. Good luck everyone!
    • CommentAuthornesdude

Oh dear am I nervous. Turns out I have no idea how to actually support. WHOOPS. I got a few basics down but it looks terrible. Figured out scenery/trees, at least. And I'm pretty okay with trackwork too.

10 hours to go.
    I can do supports, it just takes me 2 months for any ride
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Wish I could part, but I'm at work during the contest so good luck to everyone. I am excited to see what everyone comes up with!
    I'm actually properly pumped for this!
    @JetPulse: I think I'm going to go ahead and allow it, as there is no way to objectively quantify what constitutes as a "too complex support", or whether or not they made it prior. We'll likely be going with the honesty system on that one, but if we see somethin fishy we'll be on watch for that.

@CoasterGuy2000: I've given it some thought, and I'd rather just keep it simple and sayno. Sorry! The terrain isn't too flat though, so it may be hard to build a queue on it anyway. Just focus on the ride.

@ride_op: There may be another small prize as well. :)

Good luck everyone! I'll try to get the link ready for you ASAP in this thread when the time starts.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014 edited

• CommentAuthorAlbo85

I'm In and I'm so excited!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

Just realized the computer I was planning to use is brand new and doesn't have NL2 put on it yet. My serial and installer are on an external drive which is being serviced at a computer repair store 1 hour away...
    • CommentAuthorAlbo85

Just found out that in Italy should be GMT+1 but due to legal time is actually +2 so from 6pm to 11pm! Any other Italian contestant here?
    It's passed 4pm, GMT, and there's no template.
    • CommentAuthorSkye

It's still 11am here, so the timezone is messed up.
    Its because GMT is currently in summer time, which is off by an hour, the program got it wrong, it should be 5PM
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

That makes sesce ^ it doesn't take into account that we put our clocks back during the summer
    AH ok silly me =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDarkStar

I was all hyped. And then... ugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Oh wow I haven't realized this contest will be TODAY! I though it was some days later and I would have been on vacations... I might try to do something so! :D
    • CommentAuthorAlbo85

How we submit our ride? Should we just uploaded with a tag or something?
    •  

Sorry for the confusion... I'm just gonna go ahead and post this now.

GO NOW!!

You'll get an extra 15 minutes! Woohoo! Entries need to be uploaded by 5pm EST. Tag your ride with "5HP" when you complete the upload.
    • CommentAuthornesdude

Oh god.

Welp. This'll be fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

that template is horrible, and you cant even see the ride from the side view........ what :l
    • CommentAuthorMilBee

^Hide scenery.
    • CommentAuthorJozParks

Wait, has this started already? By my reckoning it's 3.50 GMT now?

EDIT Never mind, sorted my crap out :)

2nd EDIT: Wow, that's a challenging plot of land!
    link I'm livestreaming it
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

Darn, this terrain is strange...not sure how to start...
    How do you hide scenery?
    • CommentAuthorSkye

It took me a bit to figure out what I fully wanted to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

^^With the Display button on the top toolbar, you can uncheck what you need to.
    ^lol I'm still figuring, I've been staring at my screen for 20 minutes now.