Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014 edited

Beta download Look at this post

Hello there,
    I started this project a while ago and because I want to integrate it in my Break Dance Kit, I decided to go further with this project and make the scripts flexible enough.

Teaser preview video

The kit containts scenery objects for light effects and also a bunch of scripts / classes for easily handling the objects.
    Currently it contains a rgb led par can, a moving head and a effect laser.
    In comparison to my break dance construction kit, it will be necessary to touch some lines of code to customize it, but my aim is, that even users that don't know something about scripting can learn how to code such light programs in maybe one hour.

Here is how the light programming looks like at the moment:

The project is ready for integration into my break dance kit now, so I can parallel go further with this and I think the standalone light kit could make it to a beta release this week or so, depends on how much time and passion I can find for it.

Greetings,
    Daniel
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014

Can you use the lights in the round concrete tunnels?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Of course you can ;-)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

You would need to change the inside texture of the concrete tunnel to pitch black to make the lights show up better. Or make a inner pitch black layer.
    Nice work, thanks for sharing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014

Impressive! The lighting geeks out there could have some real fun with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014

Looking at you, Spike.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014

A small Flashlight lamp made it into the set, here is another short demonstration clip.
    Awesome, nice work. I would love to do some epic lighting stuff, but I really don't have the time/energy left at the end of the day to dedicate to it. Perhaps you could even do some fireworks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014

Ok, I think it's almost ready for a beta release: final teaser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGiftaddict
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014 edited

Incredible! Is this possible to set a different color light for each train or this is random colors?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014 edited

Yes,
    that is possible, take a look at the advanced example to learn how this can be done easily.

You can download the set here or in the steam workshop:
    nl2 light set beta download

Release notes!
    This is a BETA release!
    Please report any bugs, suggestions or feature requests. Don't hestitate to report if something in the manual is not understandable or if you find language mistakes.

INSTALLATION:
    - Open this package in the editor.
    - Extract the package to a directory of your choice.
    - Extract the contained zip archive.
    - Follow the readme.txt instructions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014

Here is also a video tutorial for the beginner: Watch it on YouTube
    •  
      CommentAuthorGiftaddict
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014 edited

Wow your work on those lights is absolutely amazing!! I'm wondering why no one comment your project. You just created a whole new program inside NL2 and this is very easy to use. Thank you very much!

I have a little question: how do you do for making a slow strobe light? I tried many values and the strobe is always to fast!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited

Thanks, I think it's still the requirement that you have to use program code, that makes it currently not very attractive - I thought about programming a simple GUI, but I think that this would not simplify anything very much and programming lights using a real dmx light programming GUI is sometimes a more time consuming task than writing down simple code commands anyway. (I also thought about using dmxcontrol for instance somewhow to program light patterns, I think that could be possible, but I guess it would be harder to learn dmxcontrol itself instead of using the commands within the framework).

I planned also to make standalone light effects in the future, but I'm busy with other things currently and this set was for personal use firstly, but as I started to simplify it and make it more flexible, I thought maybe someone would love to use it for own projects, too.

By the way, it would be no problem to use the framework itself to create standalone light effects scripts if someone knows a little about scripting - the standalone light effect would be only of course as attractive as real light effects with inbuilt programs - and who worked with real lights maybe knows inbuilt programs are not as attractive as programmed shows :P.

Normally the strobe effect should get very slow if you use values like (2.0f) - the time interval between a flash will be 2 seconds then (the flash time itself is currently fixed to two frames, but I can add a function do enlarge the flash active time itself if you want that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited

Wait - are you turning NL2 into WYSIWYG?! Incredible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014

No, sorry, I did not wrote anything like that (or wanted to write something that sounds like this).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014

I mean, putting aside the real-life aspect of WYSIWYG of course.
    • CommentAuthorLyle
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2014

I watched video tutorial above. I can't read those language neeed to ENGLISH......??

Lyle
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014

Iv'e been testing the par cans illuminating the Big One at night and close up they work great:

screenshot-2014-11-29-14-07-59

But when you move even slightly far away from the track the lights fade:

screenshot-2014-11-28-23-53-57

Or disappear completely:

screenshot-2014-11-29-14-04-23

Is there any way to customize the clipping on the lights?
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

That has troubled us when we have been making Studio 13 too. We haven't found a way yet. :(
    • CommentAuthorole

There is no way to customize the clipping, but the light's range has influence on the clipping distance. Be carefull, the longer the range, the more lights are visible, the slower everything will be. So this should be used for special situations only.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

Thanks Ole, I increased the throw of the lights but used far fewer of them and got exactly the results I needed :)

screenshot-2014-11-29-18-25-07
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart

Jesus that looks real!
    • CommentAuthorole

Looks awesome, except for the reflection. But that is my fault. I need to increase the reflection map's resolution at some point or make it customizable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjustinwzig
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2015

Dude! This is amazing!
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2015

Posted By: bestdaniWhich bugs have you found exactly? What happened and where?

Thanks!

Here's the situation :

- i'm using 5 trains
    - I wrote more than 10 programs ( 1k lines of code)

The problem is: When a train launchs a timing program and an other train launch an other program, the timing program stopped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015

^^ Ok I see, this is actually not a bug, it's how the programs are intended to be used.

I'm a bit surprised and kind of sorry because I thought I stated it somewhere at the beginning of the manual. I'm still pretty sure I wrote it somewhere, but at least after a short glimpse it seems as if it's nowhere written in the package, that only one program at a time can be active.

Two good news for you:

1. I'm aware that this is maybe not the best behavior, a bad news is that I'm currently cannot improve it because I can't hardly find time for NL2 and I've also another small WIP project that I'd like to finish.

2. But therefore probably even better: You can simply setup multiple light patterns as it is shown in the advanced example and you'll have to use one light pattern file per block to make them run parallel, you can of course just copy the already written programs in that light pattern files and it should work as intended.

• CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015

I can't attach multiple lights pattern on my coaster
    Thanks, it's an amazing work :p
    • CommentAuthorRiiickerttt
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016 edited

I get this error message when starting up the file.
    Why? :p

Thanks in advance

[EDIT]
    Is it okay if I post this here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016 edited

I have no idea so far and will have a look at it probably tomorrow, I haven't touched the code for months, but I used the package myself without any error around Halloween, the fact that the first error (that causes the following erros) is detected at line 1 is strange (and also this warning around line 10 looks odd). Without any further investigation I can just guess that the files are corrupted, so if you did not tried it already, just try to redownload it first.
    • CommentAuthorRiiickerttt
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited

I'll try it when I'm home
    I redownloaded the file and it works now!
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

Any update on this ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016 edited

Work is in (slow) progress. Since new features to the NL2 Scripting API were added I'm thinking about reworking the entire system. I've several ideas in my mind how it could be improved but I'm not sure in which direction I will go and I have to find time for it.

But if there's some interest shown I could write down some of my ideas here and we can discuss which direction you think would be the best.

A first preview of the new Effect Set.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2016

No track triggers ...
    Sorry im late to post but your lighting of big one is very accurate im looking through my pictures of it lit up and im impressed how good it is keep it up!

-Diamond
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgXtZnJQSQ

made this with your lightset
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

That's very cool!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

You should upload this coaster to the exchange and steam workshop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2016

I know iHack is still working on the ride, so it's not yet ready for a public release ;)
    Thats why the paris version is better than the us in my opinion
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2016

I've done both and can completely agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The Paris version never fully works, tho. Often it's the sound, and sometimes the lights... riding that big steel monster in a complete silence is no fun.

(fun fact: when there's no audio, the "official soundtrack" is then Seven Nation Army.... Yay french youth. .-.)
    • CommentAuthoriHack97

yes, it's going from bad to worse. There's no a lot of audio/light maintenance team actually
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

Is it possbile to use triggers (with in the lightset) to switch movinghead on and off ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

Even if paris has a fantastic lightshow of a ride, I still feel that orlandos is better. Why? I love the idea of having actual scenery that flies by, and even if they're all cardboard cutouts, it's still really awesome to see fitting scenery with the ride, especially at the part with the "loop de loop" sign right before the corkscrew!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

^^ Yes, you can do with the lights whatever you want when triggered. When you use this set, this is even the default behavior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2017

What is the difference between the "normal" light set and the advanced version?