Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015 edited

Hello,

This thread is created with the purpose of being linked into the NL2 Resource thread, please don't comment unless you have a change or revision to suggest. Let it sink :)

These are the methods that work for me, if I am incorrect, let's get this straight so we can together make this valid common knowledge that can be found easily. (NL2 Resource Thread) This will hopefully prevent the frequent repeated questions that have been answered and can be found via searching comments, not topics. I think many people don't search through comments and rather search topics, so this thread helps counter that problem by allowing those who do search to find a specific topic. I am sure many people will still look right past the resource thread and ask for this, but at least linking it is much easier now.

Creating an Island/Seaside Environment with Dynamic Sky:

To get the color change at horizon to be minimal while using dynamic sky:

1. Using the "Environment Editor", (within the NL2 Editor - Under the Advanced tab) Make a new env, save it as "Seaside Env".

2. Open that env you just saved and click over to the "Background" tab. (Second from the right in the Env Editor window)

3. In the tab, change the generated background to a negative number, below sea level. Then using the minus sign, highlight and delete any layers besides Layer1 in the right pane. (the second half of step 3 is a preventative measure to avoid unnecessary rendering of background layers that you will not see - since they will be below sea level)

4. Then, leave the editor and return to the main menu. Open the setup dialog by clicking the "Setup" button and click over to the "Others" tab. Check the "Use custom location" check box and change the respective location to 0 lat 0 long.

5. Return to the editor and open the "Environment" dialog. (Under the Park tab, within the NL2 Editor - it's the first tab from the left) Check the "Override Default Date/Time" check box. Then change "Current Time" to anything between 9-11 AM in the respective text box. Any time outside of that and the color change at the horizon becomes more prominent. (Step 7 addresses this)

6. In the same dialog, at the top of the window there is a text field for the file path to the environment your park will use. Use the browser to search for the env you initially saved and open it. The file path should fill in and your park is set to use that env and will appear upon reloading the park.

7. To help minimize the appearance of the color change at the horizon in most cases - click over to the "Weather" tab within the "Enviromnent" dialog. Use the slider to nudge the fog up about 1 cm from the bottom. Or click the vertical line above the slider about 2 times. (Moves the slider a set amount each click - also works with segment trigger position slider in both the brake/transport settings dialogs.)

8. Finalize changes to the weather and Save the park. Close the park, then reload it, and your background should disappear. Now just terraform your park accordingdly. (I.e. the land at the edges of your park must be below sea level.)

There you have it! A seaside environment with Dynamic Sky.

To sharpen up the Horizon do this:

Open the Terrain Settings menu by clicking over to the Terrain tab within the editor. Once this is open click over to the Water tab and turn the water reflectivity all the way up. (Slide "Reflection" all the way to the right in water dialog) Doing this not only sharpens the horizon and reflects the clouds more, but allows the user to not use fog at all as prescribed in the previous method. I have found that doing this expands the range one can change the time of day before the horizon color change becomes apparent. NOTE: This could be useful for taking clear day shots while switching the reflectivity back down and fog back up for more cloudy, dreary days.
    Here's the difference, the picture above shows the first method, and this one shows the sharper horizon:

P.S.
    Using a skybox is also another way to achieve this effect, but comes with the trade off of having to jump through hoops to make small adjustments. (E.g. Adjusting sun position to change time of day and reloading the park each time a change is made to observe it is a big pain for big parks! - even though one could theoretically test env's in an empty park to speed up loading between observation and adjustment)