Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015 edited

Hey everyone! I have a beta version for people to start testing
    DOWNLOAD V0.1.2

Installation:
    1. Navigate in blender to: "File->User Preferences"
    2. Click "Add-ons"
    3. Click "Install from file"
    4. Select downloaded zip file
    5. Check the box on the right of the Add-on labeled "Object: Export to Nl2 Element"

Instructions:

-Properties: Set initial speed, friction, and number of track points desired
    -Add Transitions:
    -slide mouse left and right to position custom banking section, use scroll wheel to change size/width, left click to place
    -slide mouse left and right to position custom roll point within banking section, left click to place
    -press escape when finished
    -set roll values
    -Export:
    -Pretty straightforward: pick the directory and follow prompts

Voila!
    https://gyazo.com/d5eaf761f212545c0edf17b421ab9e60
    https://gyazo.com/d774769e5ae67a16661a8f292cc3021a
    https://gyazo.com/4611c6b6ea18b220a1b95516926712c0
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015

This tool is great, and from what I can tell it's easy enough to use (this, coming from a complete beginner to Blender). Thank you for sharing this with the community, I'm excited to see everyone's new Blender-building techniques come to fruition!
    •  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac

Can't wait to get my hands dirty with this when i get back on my computer tomorrow! Awesome work bud! :)
    How can I see the speed and Gs?

^You can't. Speed and gs are shown in nl. I will be adding a button that shows a geforce comb eventually.
    Oh thanks! I will test it soon. When computer is ready with updating :(

Quick note, this program is all about the building techniques. It is only as powerful as its user, and how much time you put into refining your track. The great thing about blender is that you can start off with something really ugly, and make it very smooth. The best way to build your coaster is actually in a mesh, which you then convert to a curve. Then you can use the tools like "Space", "Relax", and modifiers like "Subdivision". With this you can end up with gorgeously flawless radius combs:

https://gyazo.com/b0b690a25d86c5e8d9404e8fe5130fb8
    Yes! Very excited to try this out tomorrow.
    I went ahead and made some quick bug-fixes:

V0.1.1
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015

is someone going to make a YouTube tutorial on this cause i cant figure it out, lol.
    ^Just select a curve and press export! Transitions are optional. :P I don't have time this week to make a tutorial, but will eventually.
    There seems to be a few bugs, at least for me. It says there is some form of error when I attempt to export it and another error when I attempt to add a transition.
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited

^Please whisper to me any error messages you recieve. It's a very complex plugin in a very beta state so I would love if people could help me make it more stable.

To avoid errors:

Always make sure your curve is selected and active (yellow instead of orange) before trying to add transitions and export

Make sure your initial speed is high enough, currently if it runs out of speed it has an error that says something like "division by zero"
    Nevermind, it seems as if it was just human error rather than the script. My apologies.
    Oh, phew! :D
    Added to the NL2 Resource thread. Nice work Kyle!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015

I've not used Blender before, so lets have a whirl haha
    Small bug fix update posted. (Version 0.1.2)
    Next update expect some very large changes!
    https://gyazo.com/fe0c7678886d25bda3d1800fc0f0958f
    LOVE...
    I like using this addon... But still large peaces of track are not going to be exported... Hope that will be fixed! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016

That looks even better than before. I've not used the old version a lot, as the transitions didn't work (not sure if it's a bug or it has to do with my laptop). Hopefully you'll keep working on this. I could see this becoming widely used once you figure a way to show the G-forces on Blender.
    ^ did you use the undo option....... Dont do that ;)
    Use clear rolls. I think its called that.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

What? You mean using the undo option when making the path?
    Yes... Whatever you do when making a track, you should never use the undo fuktion in blender. At least thats the problem I got.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

That may be the problem! Thanks man:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016 edited

Is there a chance that this could be reversed? Instead of importing into NL2, exporting from NL2 into Blender using the "export spline" option?
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016 edited

At first: Thank you for your effort and fantastic work =) The tracks which are coming out are .. well .. more than just smooth. I´ve played a bit with with your add on and there are three things i´ve noticed.

- As mentioned before, it would be awesome to import a NL2 track spline and smooth it out, calculate the roll nodes. For recreations very usefull, you could build it in NL2 per hand and smooth it out per blender. I think that is also, for what the most user are looking for, which aren´t so skilled in hand-building. I did a workaround with GeForce NL2 SPline importer script. So i think this could work very well.

- Second,.. i really don´t know how to use the transitions. Unfortunatly. The placing is a bit difficult and i can´t see what i´m doing until i hit the final button.

- Third, as mentioned.. the graphs. I had the feeling, that without graphs it would be a cool track maker.. but only visual. If you don´t see what you get in the end.. =)

Keep up the good work!

Ps.: I work a loooad with blender and i´m looking forward to the next updates. It´s nothing simplier as to import the nl2 spline, modelling a 3D Track, a clearance envelope (which is sliding along the track path) to build whatever scenery around a coaster.
    I´m pleased with my hand-building skills but also open for new ideas. This is such an idea :D
    ^The transitions were very beta in the previous version. Expect something much more full featured in the next update. (Ability to change transition position and delete individual transitions after placement)

Plus, updating makes it much easier to deal with transitions :
    https://gyazo.com/15aa21e1b4455325208aaea11528d94a
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016

This is ... fantastic! Really! I used Newton and FVD++ but it was too boring for me (i know a lot of people having fun with this ;)) but this .. will be used a lot! :D Awesome.
    I have no clue how to use the transitions haha. I always end up with a twisted mess.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

I just think it's really cool that you're giving us this tool for free, I think that it will seriously change the landscape of the accuracy and smoothness of rides to be released.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016 edited

^I hadn't thought about that, but yes, first Newton2, then FVD++, and now this, it really is awesome that the community can create these applications to be so easily accessible to everyone. I feel like it'd be easy to out these "extra" programs behind a paywall, but it's great to see that continually not be the case.
    Gravimetric studios tried it and it didn't work. Plus, coaster nerds for the most part want to share what they know with other coaster nerds.
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016 edited

^^^^Transitions are far easier to use in this update, in fact they were not fully implemented yet before :p (and the angles were in radians still)

Something like this takes literally less than a minute now:
    https://gyazo.com/29ec77ba0e1c0d629aa5473c533cea2d
    https://gyazo.com/bc19f644260b3688094fe662d49bd9a6

^^^I was going to explain that the next update will be be a part of a "Blender Ultimate tools for NL2" set. Which as of now will include both this and the blender material and object exporter. It will continue to get support and added functionality, including features that are requested/needed from the community. This tool set will be about a 4$ deal, and will include documentation, and of course instant access to all future versions/updates.

Call me the devil but.. What can I say, I'm a college student, I have put lots of time and love into creating this, and these tools are becoming VERY convenient and powerful! Plus, you can expect a much more consistent update basis with the developer support rather than without :)

Anyways, stay tuned for more updates. I have quite a few features coming for the first alpha release!
    This is looking better and better. And I would say 4$ is nothing for a tool with this power.
    I really appreciate your work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

I'd definitely be willing to support you by buying this tool!
    God damn that looks awesome, nice work man. Also, I agree with KingRCT3.
    I will pay that... When my parents cant stop me.
    Will turn 18 in April

Looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016

For a documented, supported product, $4 sounds super fair. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

4 dollars? That's it? Are you insane man?

So both the NL2cso exporter and blender based shaping tool is 4 bucks? Dude, it's worth more than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

I'd easly pay double or more for this.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016 edited

Well I really really appreciate all the support! :) That price is definitely just an estimate, probably too early to announce. With the sheer amount of functionality I have planned the price may give or take a few dollars, but still looking to keep it very low. I do really want the tools to be accessible to everyone, even to people who don't plan on building religiously with them..

Anyways, I cant wait to share some more upcoming features with everyone! I'm already getting really distracted playing around with what I have implemented so far... XD
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016 edited

Here is an example of the kind of building tools you can expect to see more of:

https://gyazo.com/7252967cafdf0cd8b95a8a3aac50c81b

This tool in particular creates points along a tangent circle. The scroll wheel adjusts point count, 'M' toggles between the points being inscribed within the circle vs. circumscribed around it (makes it flat vs continuous), 'U' toggles between the circle being straight from above (good for hills and valleys) vs. flat to the view plane, and 'Z' toggles between the circle ending at the mouse cursor vs. when the slope is zero. In the picture above you can see the 'M' and scroll wheel being used!

Here are some others that are currently in the works:

-Corkscrew segment (similar to the curve segment tool above)
    -Zero G segment (parabola) tool
    -Straight segment
    -Make selected points circular/ even spaced
    -Extend (continue curve of track)
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2016

I'd say go with a free no cost version and then a paid version that includes beta builds.. So basically the paid version gets the updates sooner.. That way people can still use the tool of they can't afford the $ to pay ya.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^^ Wow, that just looks great. Such a powerfull tool at out disposal would be great to work on coasters of all kinds. Probably going to use this to re-do the trackwork on The Flying Dutchman.

^ While I know that for some people $4 is hard to miss I think that it is more than fair to ask it for a tool this powerfull. The amount of time spent to make this real justifies it imo. Not everything the community makes had to be free. In NL1 we also had the construction kit which also wasn't free for most functions.
    Looks absolutely amazing Kyle/Dustin. Can't wait to see what can be created with this.
    • CommentAuthorJaynen

Awesome work. So far this looks like the best way to build coasters. 4 bucks is pretty fair. And i like the idea of a free and paid version. But make a donate button or something so people can leave a tip. I would tip 10 bucks. I know its not much but it may add up to something.
    Then make a paid version with some of the powerfull options... And the other "free" is more like an small version :D

But i wont download the free one;) I am willing to pay
    • CommentAuthornSeven

It's worth the money - those unwilling to pay wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

It's time to divorce people of this notion that anything that originates around the internet is automatically free - there are people on the other end of those things that have poured a lot of work, time and effort into that thing to make it available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^Yeah I agree. A lot of people don't understand that just because some people pour time into programs for them to be free doesn't mean everyone should abide by the same principle. People need to make money, and although it may not be a lot of money that they are making, it's still at least SOME income for all the hard work they put into the said program. The least you could do is give the creator something in return for all the hardwork they dedicated to the software.

EDIT: As part of this, it would be more understandable to be upset over a price (not pointing out anyone in particular) if the said software was not worth it, or lacking of any detail. I was feeling this way at the start when I first heard about the price, at the time the software seemed less than worth the price. Yet considering all the awesome tools and content that kyle is putting into the program to meet that standard, plus the other side programs that are included, I would without doubt be paying for this product. Hell, I'd pay more than 4 dollars at this point.