Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

Well, I know theres a lot of photographers here and we have photos of crap around the boards but heres a central topic devoted to showing off your stuff.

Heres some recent ones from the ice storm we just went through:

IMG_9688

IMG_9625

IMG_9539

If you click on the photo, you go to my photostream for more pictures.
    I love the second picture! The colors work amazingly together. What kind of camera do use?
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

Great macro shots! I love the first one.

Here are some of my pictures, and yes, they are post-processed.

I don't really do photography, but I film, edit, and direct... if that counts.
    I really need to get my hands on a new lens though. :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorliddy97
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011

I don't do much photography (though I enjoy it), I more do graphic design. I like making desktop wallpapers mostly of athletes but sometimes other stuff.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011

Posted By: Coasterfreak128I love the second picture! The colors work amazingly together. What kind of camera do use?

Canon 40D
    Two Lenses:

The kit lens:Canon 28-135mm f3.5/4.5 IS Macro (macro isnt that great though)
    Macro lens: Canon 100mm f2.8

Top 2 taken with the 100mm and the kit lens used on the wider shot. Heavy colour editing on the top 2 but I REALLY wanted to stress the "icey" feel. I think I nailed it. Some of my favourite pictures, ever. And Ive got over 10k to my name now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011

I have a canon t2i with the kit 18-55 lens, Im not so great with colour editing right now, ( doesn't help I'm colour blind, ) But I don't really have any great shots to upload right now, just starting to get into photography, I think I want a 50mm f 1.8 lens for portrait shots and maybe some macro, but mainly for the f1.8
    I take landscape shots whenever I go on a ski trip. Here are some of my favorites from my last trip to Val D'Isere, France:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val7.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val2.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val3.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val4.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/Zephyr89/Val6.jpg

The snow quality sucked, but at least I got some great pictures.

BTW, how do I embed pictures? I can't remember.
    ^on photobucket there should be a HTML code, all you need to do is copy and paste it

Heres a few pictures that I have taken. There not amazing, but I like them.

Flowers

^ Photoshop was used only to shrink this picture. ^

Panorama

^panorama of the river in my back yard^

R&R Hall Of Fame

^Rock & Roll Hall of Fame^

Lead Singer

^Lead Singer of Black Berry Smoke^

Standing

^Family^

M-Force

^one of my many roller coaster pictures^
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011 edited

and check the html box under your comment box

Dude! Cam?! And lenses?! I really need to learn how to take good panoramas because there sooo cool!
    If your going to take it right, then you should set everything yourself. IE Focus, Exposer, and color balance are the main things. If your camera has the option to take the picture as a .raw do it because the quality will be substatialy better. I have photoshop, and it has a great thing in it that will put all the pictures together. You can also do it by hand, but that takes a lot of time and can be very hard to get just right. Oh just a little tip: Take the pictures in "tall" orientaion. But before uploading you may want to save a small copy. Ihave a ponorama thats 9265 x 2829 pixels... and its a small one :)
    Posted By: GaleRazorwindI take landscape shots whenever I go on a ski trip. Here are some of my favorites from my last trip to Val D'Isere, France:

How high up are those mountains?
    >13,000ft? Or less?
    • CommentAuthorReal

To add to Coasterfreak about panorama's, you dont want to take the pictures fully wide open on the zoom. IE: Zoomed BACK. You dont want to create distortion around the edges. When you go to stitch its going to be a biatch for sure. You want to have it at around 50mm (which is comparable to the FOV our eyes have). It just makes it look a lot nicer and easier on whatever program you use to stitch the stuff but if you create distortion from a "wider angle" FOV (anything >50) sometimes stuff wont line up right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

I rather enjoy concert photography...

The Flaming Lips
    IMG_5596
    IMG_5380
    IMG_5391

Muse
    IMG_6561
    IMG_6571
    IMG_6519
    IMG_6489
    IMG_6473

Dave Matthews Band
    IMG_5143
    Woah! You saw them?
    • CommentAuthorReal

Muse = thread win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4

Holy crap! Those are insane pictures for low light! You must have some hella good lenses! wish I could take this good of pics, but I'm color blind soo editing is harder, but read a article on how color blind people can color correct to lol =D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

@AS - Yep. Wait... which "them"?

@Rando

Lenses: I don't own any.

Cameras: Canon G10

That's it. Best 400 bucks I've ever spent.

@Real - Here's the full Muse photo set if you're interested.

Glad you guys liked the pics.

Muse
    Okay, here are those pics again, embedded for those who didn't bother C&Ping the links I had.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

@AJ: See the trail map for yourself. Val D'Isere is an amazingly gigantic ski area. Pictures 1, 3, and 4 were taken from the top of the Vallion De L'iseran gondolla, which is at the top left of the map. I believe Picture 2 was taken on Double M, just below the Grande Motte tram (middle top of the map). The second to last one was taken just below the top of the Rogoney chair (in between the Solaise Express and the Solaise tram), and the last one was taken near the top of the Solaise tram, near where Piste S begins.

I took around 100 pictures, but these are some of my favorites. I'm sure there are some other cool ones, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011 edited

@AS - Oh, yes. Three times now. Mindblowing every single time. If you haven't yet, you owe it to yourself to see them live.

@Gale - Awesome. Val D'Isere looks incredible. My only ski experience in the Alps was at a place called Engelberg and it was incredible. Some of my shots from the weekend:
    IMG_0130
    IMG_0136
    IMG_0147
    IMG_0128
    IMG_0104
    IMG_0116
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011

In all fairness, you DO have a lens as the G10 has lenses you can buy for it. Granted, they are not SLR lenses but adapters but the G10 is basically a compact SLR. If I ever bought a "compact" camera, I would buy that without even considering ANYTHING else. I tested it out at Best Buy when it first came out while I worked there and its an amazing camera for the size. Sure, for a few hundred more you can go full SLR but not one that fits in your pocket.

Im not surprised by any of the photos knowing they were taken with the G10. Good, wise choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011

Truth, though I haven't purchased a lens for the G10 just yet as I've not really found the need to. The huge attraction of the camera (/what led me to purchase it in the first place & why I'm extremely pleased with the purchase) is that in a still-pocket-sized package, you get SLR-level manual controls and a larger-than-average lens/sensor than your typical point and shoot. That's what makes the concert photos possible, and why I very rarely have to resort to using the flash, even in low-light settings.

I love it and highly, highly recommend it to anyone wanting near-SLR performance without having to lug a camera/lens bag around with you whenever you think you might want to take a few photos.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011

IMG_0052_53_60_61_62_tonemapped

Starting to experiment and learn HDR with Macro. Got too many tools to start tinkering with too...
    Did you take that? Thats looks like somthing out of national geographic! (thats a good thing btw haha)
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011

Yea. 5 photos processed through Photomatrix and Lightroom. Coloring and sharpness isnt what I wanted (I thought I took more at F8...apparently I didnt) but still looked cool.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011

Frog

Havin a lot of fun with these...combine my 2 fave types of pictures, macro and HDR and you get some interesting results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011

Why arent you working for a magazine?! seriously lol
    I have to agree with Randomman on that one.

I ordered the Sony NEX-VG10, its basicly a video camera built with Sonys NEX-5 insides (just a little different for video). It takes 14megapixel stills, I was wondering if anyone as the NEX-5 or VG10 and knows how good the still quality is?
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011

Dont go by the MP for picture clarity, sharpness, etc. My pictures are only 10.1mp. But the lens and sensor quality makes up for it. Ive heard that the newer 15s are maxing out the quality they can get from the current sensor sizes. Meaning, any more mp crammed into it and you start to lose quality. But I also did tons of research and I chose my camera because its sharpness and clarity are still better than the newer cameras in its class.

What are you using a 2000 dollar video camera for? Thats pretty hefty. I never trust stills from a video camera, just not the same thing. But that things gonna take hella good video.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011

A fun crash course in camera tech that elaborates on the "Don't go by MP for picture, clarity, sharpness, etc." On a small sensor, more MP is actually bad because it will limit the light the sensor can readily absorb.

Awesome froggy is awesome. :p
    I know not to go by MP, I just said that because I was suprised that a video camera could take stills that big. The sensor in this camera is big for this type of video camera. This camera was built with a DSLR sensor and the lenses are interchangable so it makes it more creative. In video camera talk $2,000 is not really that expensive. The ones I really want are $20,000+

Sample

I took a few 100 pictures with it this weekend in Atlanta and this is one of them. I may upload more later.

EDIT: Ok I feel like uploading a few.

Coke

Olivia

Water

These were all taken on auto everything. I didnt really feel like dealing with manuel without a tripod
    • CommentAuthorReal

Great little crash course BB. Im not sure I like the example of under, over and correctly exposed. I found the under a bit better than the "correct' but that had a lot to do with color tones anyways.

^Those are nice pics. And still, 2000 might not be "alot" in video terms (heck, I can get crazy with still cameras too) but its still a huge chunk of cash. Im looking to buy a lens for 1500 and it makes me choke each time I think about pulling the trigger on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Ditto about the over/correct/under examples, but I thought it was otherwise pretty decent and easily digestible.

Nice pics coasterfreak, I'm impressed that those came out of a video camera.

@Real: Haha i know what you mean, it was freaking out about dropping the camera or getting dust on the censor
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

I have to show these because I am so pleased with them - and that doesnt happen often that I actually am well pleased with photos. But these, I am. Instantly some of my favourites.

_MG_0410

_MG_0405

_MG_0390

_MG_0387

Eastern Green Mamba
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

Those are seriously fantastic. Where do you live that your reptile population is so varied and conveniently photographable?

• CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

haha.

The Toledo Zoo. Quite a good zoo, i think top 25 in the country. Constantly evolving and weve got some awesome exhibits. I just prefer things with a lot of color and since the aquarium is SO dark, the reptile house makes for great photos. Ive been there 3 times and each time both these animals refused to pose. Yesterday, they were much more cooperative.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

Bought one of these this morning. Comes Thursday. I am JACKED!

The thought of all the insane coaster photos I can now get....DROOOOOL

Canon 100-400 IS L Telephoto.

Or is it a Super Telephoto on my 40D? Well, you would take the 100 and 400 and times by 1.6 for true magnification because of sensor size.

So basically its a 160-640!!!!! And on top of that, at 100(160) it can go to a 4.5 (modest) but at 400(640) it only goes up one stop to a 5.6.

you find a lens that can be at a f5.6 at 400mm(640) that doesnt cost under 1400 (What I paid). In fact, if you want anything over 400 you gotta get a prime, unzoomable lens. The 500mm and 600mm are 7000 and 9000 respectively and both are f4. Yes, thats 1.5 stops more of light, but really...for the money, you CANNOT do better than this lens.

I just hope its a sharp copy. That or ill be sending into canon to have it tuned for my camera. But I did buy one thats made in the last 3-4 years (3 to be exact) and apparently all of those are individually tested and should be pretty sharp.

Can ya tell Im excited?!
    Wow, how much does that cost?
    • CommentAuthortired

Wow that is an amazing lens!
    • CommentAuthorReal

It costs a lot...lol

1400. Its used. Brand new, something like 1800 give or take. I lost computers in a fire and the insurance check went to this instead. Kinda of a nice trade considering I didnt use the computers at all. It was mostly spare parts.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

I'd love to get a digital camera that works with all the Minolta lenses my dad had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRyder
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

My camera cost the soaring sum of £80, and whilst that definitely does show, I try to get around that wherever possible

It does have an awesome super-macro setting though
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011

So far ,Ive been able to take some test shots at some really detailed objects and the lens looks sharp...not sure HOW sharp but sharp enough for me. Time to take it outside, maybe get some moon shots, etc.

And I noticed I missed the longest lunar eclipse almost ever the other night...PISSED. But I didnt have the lens, so, wouldnt have gotten any super pictures.
    • CommentAuthorReal

Posted By: MaverickI'd love to get a digital camera that works with all the Minolta lenses my dad had.

The Sony DSLR Cameras are supposed to be backwards compatible with the Minolta A Mount Lenses. Long as the lens was an A Mount, a Sony DSLR will work.

Btw

Man, that's like a freaking telescope. lol
    • CommentAuthorReal

lol I think Telescopes start around.....1200mm?? Maybe 800 but you can actually buy a Canon 600 and i think 800mm lens but both are prime lenses and last I looked, the 600mm is 9,999. And the 400 is 6,000. So, Id expect the 800 to be over 12k

But speaking of lenses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRq18WpQZC0&feature=fvwrel

lololololol
    •  
      CommentAuthorliddy97

^Dude! That is one heck of a lens! That zoom in was crazy!