Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This is a ride I've been working on since early this morning/late last night. It's an Iron Horse Coaster from Rocky Mountain Construction. ("Iron Horse" is what I choose to call the RMC Hybrid coasters. Please don't start the wood/steel debate.) So far I have about 30% of the trackwork done. Elements so far include a 171 foot tall, 80* drop into a double up 90 degree floater curve thingy a la Texas Giant, a 106 foot tall ejector hill, 23 foot tall speed hill, and then you are thrown into the beginnings of what I hope will be a nasty twister section before the MCBR. The supports shown in the pictures are just Auto Supports to give a visual of what it should look like. The final supports are going to be custom, and will include the appropriate steel ledgers, I'm also thinking about trying to do the RMC I-Box track in the object creator and using the construction kit to make a set of fake rails to cover the Intamin ones. (I'll need a little help here though.)

On to pictures!

Photobucket
    Double up floaty turn thing.

Photobucket
    While there is 0g airtime at the very top of the turn, once you start to come out of it, it gets much more intense!

Photobucket
    Entering the (nowhere near finished) twister section!

Photobucket
    An Overview of everything thus far.
    I like the look a lot. Very sleek.
    very nice...
    •  
      CommentAuthorOinzCEO17
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

Looks neato torpedo
    <blockquote><cite>Posted By: OinzCEO17</cite>Looks neato torpedo</blockquote>

never heard that one before lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOinzCEO17
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

Exactly. ;)
    That looks, whats the word? Amazing?! Yeah, thats it
    •  
      CommentAuthorJHawk
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

Knew the Iron Horse would catch on.
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys! They're nice. But if you see anything you feel is "wrong" with the ride, please do tell me!

And I have an update! I've finished the layout, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. Unfortunately the ride lost speed after the twister section much faster than I anticipated, and I had to bring the ride back to the station quite quickly after that, thus, there is no MCBR, and the ride is much shorter than I anticipated. There is no guarantee this will be the final layout, so feel free to make suggestions, I'm pretty open at this point.

Now for pictures!

Here is the overview of the entire ride; I really love the twister section, because it is really fun and the train hauls simply insane amounts of ass through it, but I'm not so sure if I like it in juxtaposition with the giant turn and airtime hill that precede it.
    Photobucket

Here is the twister section in a little more detail. It seems to me like a mini Voyage twister section!
    Photobucket

The train just absolutely flies over this hill!
    Photobucket

The reverse banked turn is really fun too!
    Photobucket

Here is the train coming over the last couple airtime hills and into the station. I'm really not sure if I like this section, it seems too S:ROS-ish and very bland. Ideas appreciated!
    Photobucket
    you've really captured the Iron Horse style! Good job!
    • CommentAuthorYoshiking
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

I feel that the ride would look better if you were to create the red track effect by modifying the environment. You can change the rail texture of wooden coasters to something red and even try to add the bolts and connectors in there too. If you made the crossties show up with the same color as supports it'd probably look pretty good.

Note: This isn't my coaster or environment, but it shows the idea.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited

^That's what I was thinking too. I kept thinking that the Intamin hyper train was the wrong choice. Besides, the topper track looks MUCH closer too wooden track (considering it's modeled after it) and it doesn't have all those Intamin crossties/trains.

The problem is that it might be too late. The friction values for this would be off by changing the type, and the heartline would be off by 0.1m (not much, but still)...
    ^That will definitely be the the option I try next time. I just tried setting the ride to a 7 car PTC train, and it absolutely ripped through the ride pulling -2.5 g on the last hill. Obviously I'm going to have to stick with the Intamin train this time around, but next time I'm definitely going to give a nod to the woodie and its significantly lower coefficient of friction.

On a side note-you said I could texture the rails on a wooden roller coaster. Is it possible to texture the ties differently than the rails? If so I would definitely texture the rails a solid color and just assign the texture for the crossties as a blank Alpha Map with 0% opacity. (Since the Iron Horse coasters don't really have crossties, just the steel ledgers that only come once every bent.
    Well the thing is the real rides are steel, meaning you do want that higher coefficient of friction. You might be able to use something like 6-7 cars without improved friction turned on to achieve pacing that's close to correct. It works the best for me when making Intamin woodies, since their friction is higher than a normal woodie because of the wheels.
    Just a quick update before I go to bed:

I spent about an hour and fifteen minutes working up a new ending for the ride because I found the original too bland, I must say that I prefer the new one much more and I feel that it fits the ride much better. Thoughts?
    Photobucket
    Next step would probably be to decide on a name and finalize the colors.

Also, thanks for the food for thought, DC! I'll have to start doing a few tests with that to try and get a good coefficient of friction for Newton2 for the next time I try.
    Hmmm, on the colors part, you could try and go "out there" and color the rails different. Surely not ALL topper track will be colored Texas Giant red in the future.
    ^My thoughts exactly. I was thinking of theming it to a runaway locomotive (just to play on the phrase "Iron Horse") and coloring the rails silver and the wood a darker brown.
    That would be cool! Slap on a nice train texture too.
    Name it Trojen
    I'm getting ready to start the custom support work on the ride. I'm sitting in Physics right now doing some research, and I can't find anything useful. Does anyone happen to know the spacings used for bents on a wooden roller coaster? In order to start the work I need to know how wide single-width bents are, how far apart the bents are spaced along the track, and how far apart the bents' horizontal crossbeams are placed. I'll keep searching in the meantime, but if anyone knows the information would be quite useful.
    Okay, I'm feeling like a total idiot right now.

How do you export tracks to .3ds using the construction kit? (Which I have registered using the free code on the front page.) I've done it once before but I can not for the life of me find the option in CK.

EDIT: Nevermind. The option didn't show up because I neglected to actually restart the program after registering it... heh.
    A rough draft of the ride is available on the Exchange! Download it!

The draft is not much different from what is pictured above, save the color scheme. I'm in the process of rebuilding the ride from the ground up to use a 7 car PTC train so the ride will look better and hopefully get slightly better pacing so the end doesn't need to be so low to the ground. Expect pictures of the new layout in the next few days!

EDIT: LOL. Someone already called it an Intamin hyper coaster and questioned my use of wooden supports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011

You mean this isn't an Intamin!?! lol jk - it looks nice so far! I love the twister section.
    •  
      CommentAuthorknexrule11
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

I think you should make the end of the layout follow the old track back to the lift. But it's still good this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011

I meant that its style reflected what I expect to see in any Intamin hypercoaster - I've never heard of any "hybrid" other than Gemini at Cedar Point (which is nothing like this, obviously), and it seemed odd that you would take a very Intamin design, slap some wooden supports on it, and call it another kind of coaster. I had not seen this thread at that time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.S.Coasters
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

OMG WELCOME TO THE EXCHANGE!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^
    I lay claim to being the first to welcome you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

??? I've been here for almost two years lol. Just never knew people actually went on the forums. With the recent lack of ratings on... well... anything, I figured I'd check here to see if anyone had mentioned it, and saw all the other threads/projects. I seem to be one of maybe two or three people still downloading and rating the new stuff each week.
    • CommentAuthorGavG
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

Ling

Email - n/a
    Account Created - 5 days ago
    Last Active - 14 hours ago
    Visit Count - 17
    Discussions Started - 0
    Comments Added - 24

Your profile suggests that you now have multiple accounts here? Your username should be the same on the forums and the exchage. Your profile is saying 5 days and not 2 years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited

No, the coasters I submit under are all under this name... but when I came to the forums, and tried to log in, it said I didn't have an account... so I registered using the same information, then it automatically logged me in. It confused me, but I figured I wasn't going to deal with it. If you search for my username on the Exchange, I'm the same guy.

EDIT: I checked my profile. Guess I've been here for a year-and-a-half. Early December '09.