Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited

After 2 months or so of constant work, I am now in the process of making a full replica of S:ROS at Six Flags New England. What does that mean? Well, I am basically taking everything that I did poorly on last time around and hopefully turning those bad things into good things. I am completely finished with the track, supports, terrain, can cartextures, but the 3DS remain unfinished. This will probably be my biggest and hopefully best roller coaster I have ever made in NoLimits. I am trying to get nearly every major detail down, while some minor details can be added later on as the ride progresses forward. I have inserted a few pictures showing all of the major parts of the ride. Just keep in mind that I CANNOT go back and change the track - I have deleted the Newton file. Also, the station isn't fully done yet, as the roof and the rest of the queue needs to be added. Pictures are below.

Enjoy!
    Thats amazing, it looks really accurate
    The station and transfer look pretty good so far, but the overbank is pretty badly misshapen. It's not easy to do in NL, but you'd have to get a lot closer to get good scores on trackwork from me.
    ^It may be NL's slight fisheye that occurs to the edges of the screen. Could you post a better pic of the turnaround?
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

Well Dan, you gotta give him points for actually releasing a recreation of this ride...ya know, hes one or two upped you there :P
    Nah AJ, I know about the fisheye and I'm sure it's not right, or close enough to being right.

And yes, I can't disagree Real.
    • CommentAuthorReal

Someday we will see your name next to that ride..someday...I hope.

Anyways, maybe looking like one of the better ones ever released. That being said, it still does look like theres some work in some of the elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Okay, for those of you who want to see the overbanked turn, here you go - I have inserted a few pictures below. As for the rest of the ride goes, you can comment about it if you want. I am always looking for feedback, whether it is good or bad. Here are the pictures.

I think your overbank turn should be a bit more narrow around the top and more overbanked. Other than that OMG!
    I agree with coaster4airtime, the top of the over bank needs to be a bit more pointy.

Photobucket

Oh yeah, and you transfer track wouldn't work.

Other than that I am completely blown away by how accurate this is.
    I think it looks great!

...but I have to be wrong or something...I suck at judging this stuff. XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

I personally don't like the footers. If you look carefully at the pictures you can see the differences between yours and the original intamin ones.
    In addition to that I would darken the support color a bit.
    • CommentAuthorD47Xc8

I think that the support that goes around the other supports in about a 180 angle should be thinner. otherwise I think it looks very nice! (:
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.S.Coasters

Posted By: gigacoasterfanOh yeah, and you transfer track wouldn't work.

It's impossible to make a working NL transfer track (unless it's made of supports). With the way CK exports you can't make a transfer track that's shapen so it wouldn't catch, or have a wird space instead.
    Yeah, I would say the over-bank could still use some work, Looks like it needs a slightly steeper incline and more of a settle point to its shape, rather than a continuous curve low flowing curve, yours also appears to be leaning a tad to the right. Considering you have began supporting and everything there's not much you can do to the trackwork without having to redo the supports and 3d placement, especially if the newton file was deleted for whatever be the reason. You could export the supports and all into one 3d file, and if you can find the file, do it that way, though I always find it a bit strenuous lining it up perfectly.

Overall it looks good though, nice work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat

A.S. Coasters, I'm not sure what you mean by that last statement, but I know you can easily make a transfer track that would work if it could be animated. You're correct though that his wouldn't work because of the way the track is cut. It should be cut perpendicular to the direction of travel of the brakes, not perpendicular to the track at the spot where it's sliced.
    I mean that if you look at his transfer track, it's set up so the track peices won't hit each other. But it would leave a gap inbetween that the train obviously can't jump.
    OK well then we're on the same page and you're correct.
    • CommentAuthorReal

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Visual representation.
    ^Not entirely. If it was like that, the train would fall to the side of the transfer track as it backed out on to it. But good demo.
    • CommentAuthorReal

Thats only to show the angle of the curved track and where it needs to be cut. Not a perfect, to the inch and also to scale representation. Obviously. Nice job trolling... :\
    Looks amazing! The spaghetti bowl isnt perfect, the first helix looks like it exits under the wrong spot (may just be angle of picture) but other then that it looks great! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011

I got a quick question for anybody who absolutely really knows this ride. Inside the station there are two signs, right? Well, I'm trying to make textures for them, but I want to include all of the words. The only problem is that I cannot manage to read the right sign. I have managed to get a few words out from watching a YouTube video of this ride, but other than that, I cannot seem to pick out all of the words.

Shall I actually make the sign say what it really reads, or shall I just use wavy lines to simulate the text?
    The left sign in all of the stats. The right sign, I believe, is all of the safety rules. "Please keep your hands firmly on the lap bar and secure all loose articles such as hats, keys, glasses, and wallets." that sort of thing. They took it down since it became Bizarro and have been on it well over 100 times, but this is one thing about the ride I'm not entirely sure about. I'll keep looking though.
    I think your right, i've also been on it well over 100 times. It dosnt need to be exact about what it says. But im 90% sure that coast4airtime is correct
    Looks awesome dude. I could see this one in the Top 10! Keep up the nice work!
    I was just reviewing your spaghetti bowl pictures and noticed that the hill with the trim brake on it is too rampy. The real hill has a wider vertical radium then sharpens slightly before the trim. Yours is just one radius and a ramp down.

EDIT: Can we see some photos of the side of the out and back section. (views that guests woud get while walking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011

Okay for any of you who want to investigate the spaghetti bowl, here are three pictures of the elements up close. The shaping may be off in some places, but that doesn't stop me from continuing on with this project! Well, if there is something really bad, then I guess it is too late to change it now...

Whether or not the shaping is up to par, I will be enjoying this when you release it! It's so pretty, and honestly, I suck at pointing out shaping flaws and such so I'll probably think it's golden. :)
    I know it's too late for you to change it, but the shaping on the hill between the second helix and the tunnel looks really uneven. Regardless, this is still an awesome project! It makes me sad that I chickened out on riding it a few years ago when I was last at SFNE.
    Judging by your username, I'm guessing you didn't chicken out on Mind Eraser. ;)
    ^Nope! Or Flashback for that matter! :P
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

3D objects nitpick: Be sure to adjust the grass texture mapping as it is fairly obvious right now. After that, you can cover-up the seam (from NL terrain to .3ds terrain) with the sidewalks/fences or whatever the actual ride has around the tunnel.

Everything looks pretty nice so far, though I'm unsure of the small details of imperfections that are always present in any recreation. Youtube POV's, Google/Bing maps, and good ol' RCDB are powerful comparison tools and are virtually a must-use for every top-notch recreation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

A quick mini-announcement! Due to A LOT of schoolwork, such as finals, papers, projects, etc., I have been just WAY too busy for the last couple of weeks. That being said, I cannot remember the last time that I actually sat down and worked on this Superman replica of mine. It may seem like bad news to some of you, but I guess I have to do what I have to do, and I must do what is more important. Anyway, for those of you who are wondering more about this project, I will re-continue it starting Memorial Day Weekend. No, the project isn't totally dead, but fortunately I will be done with the ride by August at the latest. Stay tuned for more updates, and I am absolutely fond of all of your comments - they REALLY make me want to finish the ride as soon as possible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited

I have got some very good news for you all that are interested! This project is at the point where it is almost done now, and I've decided not to add many custom 3DS to this recreation. Why? Because when I added both the station and queue line in the past, it looked very messy in the simulator, and I want this project as a whole to be neat and clean looking. I am striding for not only accuracy, but I am also striding for neatness and building quality. That being said, I may add some more 3DS in the future, but only if it looks good with the ride's surroundings and doesn't get cluttered. If all goes well, then this ride may be uploaded to the exchange by mid-June, just in time for the first day of summer! Three pictures are embedded below showing the recent changes that I made.

Wow, I really can't wait!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011

That looks really impressive. Very close to its real-life counterpart, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011

Guess what guys? I think this recreation is pretty much done! I have recently added Mind Eraser, Catwoman's Whip, and a few more trees. The only question is, do any of you think that I am completely done, or shall I go back and fix/add something? Please tell me what to do in order to make this look good and complete. Anyway, here are the pictures.

The track is misshaped in some spots, but I know this ride like the back of my hand. It is the best recreation I've seen!
    you are now a god
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011

Make sure to reduce the poly detail on the other tracks.

You can always detail out the closer surroundings on SRoS. For example:

This

where you have:

You should fix the grass textures around the tunnels to make the transition less obvious. It looks very odd right now.
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

Also, isnt the pathway right next to that tunnel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

^Yes, there is a pathway next to the second tunnel. On a side note, I have finally decided not to add all of the pathways, buildings, etc. because it will look kind of messy, considering that my 3DS skills aren't even that great yet. I actually tried doing that task, but it became so over-complicated that I just decided to stick with the trees. In my opinion, it looks WAY cleaner and simpler, and neatness is my goal, along with accuracy. BTW, I am in the process of making the station for Catwoman's Whip and Mind Eraser:).
    So when are you gonna release it?
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99

I'd get the surroundings of SRoS down before caring at all about the station of another ride lol. At least clean up the smooth shading and the difference from NL terrain grass to .3ds grass, and using pathways would be a good way to cover that up. They don't have to be super-accurate, but should be there.
    lol next thing you know people will be saying that buildings cover up the seams between pathways and grass, then you'll eventually end up doing the entire scene worth of 3ds. Have fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

Posted By: eXoguti093So when are you gonna release it?
    I hope to finish this ride by next week at the latest! That is assuming that I add the two ride stations, add mist in the tunnels, check all of the supports, and add other small details. I will NOT add the buildings, pathways, etc. because it will take too long, and I am NOT that great at complex 3DS objects. I hope that you're ready for the initial release, as it won't be too long from now!
    Cant wait.
    wow! next week? You are the first person ever to be actually ahead of your predicted release date.