Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011 edited

Hopefully, this is what will become the first coaster I finish (never been happy enough with an outcome to finish :p ). Anyways, I don't really have any details yet, but I have three pictures for you:

Comments are appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
    Little hard to judge from those angles. But I think it looks nice. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011

Lift hill seems a bit steep - maybe it's just me. Otherwise not much to say >.<
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Lift hill is 35 degrees. Due to my lack of coaster expertise I don't really know what the lift hill angle of B&M Inverts was, so I just went with my gut feeling. If anyone knows, I'd be happy to know.
    35 is a tad steep, but I'm not complaining! Besides, B&M does range their lift steepness every now and then...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeFLO

I think they are angled between 25 and 30 degrees.
    ^Yeah, that's what I've heard. But then again, they could be steeper if they had to shoehorn a ride in, or if it's a flyer or dive coaster.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011

http://rcdb.com/3117.htm?p=13494
    That might be pushing over 30...

http://rcdb.com/2504.htm?p=8665
    Thats definitely steep...40ish. And a floorless, basically the inverts cousin.
    Posted By: LeFLOI think they are angled between 25 and 30 degrees.

25 degrees is pretty flat, I think 30-35 is more like it.
    ^^See, Daemonen was a shoehorned ride. I do think that B&M goes from 27-30 degrees if they have the space, although recent rides have strayed from that.

Basically, it's fine. Nobody's really should dock points on lift angle anyway unless it's outrageous...
    • CommentAuthorReal

Yup. Just proof the range is pretty wide. Id say you can go from 25-40 depending on your intent. Theyve proven their lift system can handle it.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Pre-lift section is changed as well as the lift, which is now 30 degrees instead. An immelman and a 0G roll has been added. I can't quite make my mind up whether this ride should host an MCBR or not, if so, it should probably be up next. But help me out, do you think the ride should have an MCBR?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeFLO
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011 edited

Could we have a closer look to the immelmann ? It seems to me that the radius at the top of it is too small. Also don't make the roll out begin too early, look at Montu's immelmann.

http://cache.rcdb.com/7u5e000inljohrck18bk05.jpg

The top of the immelmann should be almost round, and the roll out should start just before the very top of the element. Look at this pic too: http://cache.rcdb.com/fkc0k3c02ng00pbqps8tmb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edit: http://cache.rcdb.com/av901bo00cm5cu4er5g2fo.jpg

Also, try to get a flatter 0G roll. Play with your vertical force zones to make it look flatter, while keeping it with 0 gravity. It maybe should be lower.

I'd advice you to look at as many pictures as possible, to success in building the same shapes than real B&M inverts.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

You're right, it does look super sharp on that picture, here's another one showing you the actual shaping of the element. I've been thinking of redesigning it since I'm not fully satisfied with it (turned out to be quite a tricky element to get right). Btw, since I've had a lack of reference photos for Inverted Immelmans, are there any Inverted coasters with Immelmans apart from Alpengeist and Montu?

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I'm actually pretty happy with the 0G, the steepness of 0G rolls range a lot, for instance, have a look at Katun's 0G-roll (http://rcdb.com/764.htm?p=1434).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat

I really like your Rebel recreation. Looks spot on. ;)

I think his 0G roll looks fine. There are so many different ones on B&Ms; Katun's has long vertical transitions to a tight roll, Flight Deck's is low and overrotates, Black Mamba's is floaty and the transitions start before the positives reach 0. His looks like it would fit in well to me.

Fire Dragon has two immelmans with different shapes. Afterburn, Great Bear, Black Mamba, Patriot, and Talon round out the list of B&M Inverts with immelmans. However, you can also use the various cobra rolls and variations therein as reference.

BTW, I like how you elongated the pullout between the vertical loop and immelman a lot. That's an example of a detail that really adds realism for me.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Going all "beginner-ish" righ here, but I've never heard of "Rebel". :p

And thanks for the list as well as the nice words. I found that the immelman on "Afterburn" was quite similiar to mine (http://rcdb.com/527.htm?p=672). :)
    http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/detail/5108

The beginning is almost exactly the same, down to the shaping of the first drop lol. I think the roll twists the other way, but that's the only difference other than the elongation between the loop and immelman. Check it out though...it's real good quality, and should give you some ideas both of what looks good, and what you should avoid to make sure your ride is unique.
    Posted By: DC High Heathttp://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/detail/5108

...it's "REAL" good quality...

ha...haha...ha.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011

^ *really
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011 edited

^You mean you don't like your jokes old and overused?
    • CommentAuthorGavG
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011

Old and overused jokes are just plain old overused jokes...
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited

Layout is finished, time for 3ds. Btw, since I'm using Cinema 4D and it exports 3ds to NoLimits with that shading problem where the unlit surfaces show up as all black in NoLimits... Does reexporting the scenery with 3DSMax solve the problem, or would I have to retexture everything in 3DSMax in order for it to work?

EDIT: Oh, and worth mentioning is that that long, after the 180-turn right after the station will be an indoor section.
    • CommentAuthorGavG
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

How long is your stacking with a 3 train setup on a mcbrless track?

Apart from that it is loking nice and I am liking the Blue on the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOinzCEO17

Inverted coaster camelback ftw!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeFLO

Well this looks a bit short. I'm sure the train is still at full speed when arriving on the final brakes. I'd say make MCBRs where the top of the camel back is, then make some corkscrews and maybe a powerful helix, and some other things if you can. I'd be curious to know the length of this! :P

Otherwise I'd say: Good shaping!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

What LeFLO said.
    Looks nice, but Inverts never usually use 8 car trains, I'd go for 7. Keep it up
    • CommentAuthorYoshiking

^Actually 90% of Inverts use 8 car trains. In fact I can only think of a very select few that use 7 car operation.
    ^^lol Yeah, you've been counting wrong for quite some time! :) I know Flight Deck @ CGA uses 7, but I can't remember any other inverts off the top of my head that use 7. I think Patriot does for some reason.
    ^Nemesis Inferno uses 7 cars. And i also think a few of the Batman clones do to.
    That quite the long lead up to the lift you got there. :P
    ^He said that it would be indoors.
    Okay, now I'm lost...
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011

Posted By: AJClarke0912^You mean you don't like your jokes old and overused?

no i was correcting your english
    ^I think he meant the ride was good quality like Real's coasters (Top Thrill Dragster etc.).
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

Except dont mind the fact that the heartline is way off. That ride was made before we had the ability to even see the heartline in NoLimits. But it was my attempt at a "realistic only" type of design. All standard elements, etc, even the setting. But yea...after we got the update to include the heartline path, I was like wow, I was off. LOL That WHOLE ride is 100% HAND BUILT. That Zero g was a BITCH to handbuild, just an FYI. Consider yourselves VERY lucky you have tools to do all this. :D
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

Posted By: coast4airtime^I think he meant the ride was good quality like Real's coasters (Top Thrill Dragster etc.).

I know it was a pun, it just could have been "real"ly :P
    • CommentAuthorGavG
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

Posted By: A.S.Coasters
    Posted By: LeFLOI think they are angled between 25 and 30 degrees.

25 degrees is pretty flat, I think 30-35 is more like it.

A bit a late info, but Montu is set at 26'
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

^ Montu also had a ton of space to be built in; I think the general consensus is it can be anything (within reason), depending on the space.
    • CommentAuthorGavG

What you are saying has been covered Ling, I was just adding an actual fact into the mix. You have done well with paraphrasing though well done.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

Finally finished the layout. Took a lot of time to get the wingover somewhat right.

•  
      CommentAuthorLing

Very interesting... Quite short, but I guess it works. How much speed does the train have when it hits that ending brake run?
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Not that much, 35-40 km/h I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.M.D.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011

I like the layout a bit. I would have to agree with Ling however that the layout is a little short. Not with regards to the length though. However element wise the ending is doesn't really flow with the first half of the ride. The first half has elements one after another and the second half is really drawn out and simple. I think you could do more with the ending. Looking forward to how this turns out!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

But... Great bear?

Oh right, I might redo it. :(
    • CommentAuthorReal

Great Bear had serious space constraints to work within. If you set restraints, then I might empathize. But if you gave yourself a full plate to work on, Id agree, second half seems uninspired compared to first half.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011

It does indeed, I've already started to redo it. We'll see when I'll once again finish the second half though. Slow sections with Newton requires a lot of work (specifically wingovers :P).
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011 edited

Final layout, won't be redoing this once again :p Tell me if you think it looks shitty anyways and maybe I can take it into consideration by next project. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and immelman does look super messed up in this picture, it does not really have that shape.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011

What I'm worried about is the hill after the dive loop. It appears to have a really bad kink in it. The rest looks really nice. Almost Raptor-ish (one of my favorite rides ever :P ).
    If the shadow wasnt behind it, you it wouldnt look like it had a bad kink. Its kind of like those straight line optical illusions.