Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited

Hello,
    This is a thread for me to update on whatever scenery objects I might be working on.
    If there's anything I feel this community needs more of, it's ready-made objects,
    so that making something really cool becomes available to everyone, and doesn't take ages for those that are able to.
    Also it's great to see what people come up with using my objects.

-----

Good old BT Rock Pack (NL1)
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

So here's a little of what I've been working on lately in terms of .3ds objects:

Seen in this picture are .3ds objects from the "BT Ground Pieces" and the "BT Concrete Building Pack". Nothing other than these object packs were used to create the trench.
    <3

This will be so useful. Like really. Amazing work! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

Wow, great job so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

...Want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeFLO

These may not be complicated objects to make, but you give time to do them so that people who can't use 3D programs can benefit from them. That is why I respect you. :)
    Thank you. Amazing.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Thanks everyone! Great to hear such nice words from you :)
    • CommentAuthorROLLER97
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

I...want...that!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015

I always wanted to see people build parks with NL2.
    And so I've started building a path pack, with the goal being that you'd be able to lay down huge layouts of paths quickly within the editor.
    This is the start. Next up is adding some curved edges. I'm thinking I'll make 22,5, 45 and 90 degree curves.

Anyone with ideas - how to make it as useful as possible, easier to use or just a feature request - let me know.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Great idea, this is going to be super useful. Perhaps some extra textures like brick, cobblestone, or smooth pavement?
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited

Yeah totally. Once one pack is finished I'll change some of the textures.
    However, I haven't really figured out if there's a better way of doing it,
    If there's a good way to mimic the more patched look you get in real parks.
    • CommentAuthornannerdw

Looking good. I had only worked on a spline-based path in Blender, and was planning on making a pack like this. Now I don't have to; I'll just point people toward yours instead ;)
    Are the 45 degree pieces going to be exact arc segments, or grid-aligned lead-in/out pieces like the 45-deg track pieces in RCT?
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Great to see things like this. Looks like the community is starting to go RCT3 style, so awesome news! I would suggest you to make a template, so if any other CSO creator wants to make a different set they all conform. Great job, keep it up!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

^^ The more I think of it, it makes sense to not make evertything grid-aligned. It'd be easier for the end user to use a fully grid-based pack, but with 0, 22,5 and 45 degree angles that would mean an awful lot of building blocks.
    So I'm thinking I'll try to work out a nice assortment of transition pieces.
    I realize as I'm typing this that I'm having a hard time conveying it in words.
    But no, it won't work as in fully grid-based solutions, where every block is confined to a set boundary.

^ Since all the objects are Collada files, anyone should be able to open them, modify them and make pieces that fit together. So I didn't have anything else in mind in terms of templates. I'd be very interested to hear if you had some alternative idea though.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

First turn piece is done, there are now larger tiles and loads of background stuff is done.
    The available blocks are 2x2 m2, 4x4 m2 and 8x8 m2.
    The Side pieces have a 2m long and a 8m long piece each.

-----

EDIT: Bonus.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

This will be so helpful! Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

would it make sense for you to make this with a snap distance in mind so that they will line up perfectly? like i made a few MC blocks that were 1m x 1m x 1m and then set my snap distance to 1m and they all lined up perfectly. i love this idea
    • CommentAuthornannerdw

The posts look too close together for a typical railing like this. I'd make one every meter.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

intim305, Is there any meaningful way of using snapping though?
    I found the snapping setting to only apply to when I'm using the keyboard to move around stuff.
    That way I still have to add the objects using my mouse, and then they won't line up precisely.
    Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, because snapping would absolutely work.

Also, nanerdw, you might be right about that. I'll take care of it, it'll save some polygons too.
    ^There is a checkbox in the editor at the top that toggles the snap. If you make your objects 1x1 or so forth, any placement or movement of those objects will be on a meter grid and will be FAR easier to align without having to type in a single value
    • CommentAuthornannerdw

Where are your rotation origins for the objects?
    The center of rotation for any arc piece should be at the center of the arc, to make it easy to align multiple pieces to each other when they're not aligned to the grid. Also, if you're making single rail objects, they're easiest to place when they pivot about one end, rather than in the center.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Oh, that was easy.
    Snapping confirmed I guess.

Right now the objects rotate around the edge of the objects. It made sense when there was no snapping like this.
    However, I guess I'll change that now.
    Just placing out objects like this is awesome, but figuring out a great way of doing it with a lot of angles is going to be a headache.

Btw, there doesn\t happen to be any equally swift way of rotating? Perhaps a keyboard shortcut?
    It bothers me that I have to click the objects and rotate them by the handle every single time you place one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

if you open the scenery panel you should be able to rotate them using input values (0,90,180,270) which should make it easier to rotate them. if you need any help with these i would be willing to try and contribute something!
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited

You mean to create a separate .nlsco for all rotations?
    Since I'm thinking of doing 22,5 deg angles I'd end up with a ridiculous amount of objects though?
    The few pieces already done with would alone amount to 63 files.
    • CommentAuthornannerdw

^No, double click a placed scenery object to open its instance properties, where you can type in numerical values for its location, rotation, and scale.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Ah okay. I think I find normal rotating (with snapping) faster.
    Since it's possible to move around objects with the keyboard,
    I was just hoping that there'd be an equally simple way of rotating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

But I think creating different nl2sco files (not .dae objects) with different preset angles could be the most productive way for adding objects quickly.

To make snapped object placing more compatible it would be maybe better to have x=1, z=0.5; x=1, z=1; x=0.5, z=1; x=0, z=1 pieces and so on.
    • CommentAuthornannerdw

^Or we could all tell the devs that a "copy selected object in place" command is desperately needed ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Or what I've suggested some time ago somewhere, the ability to provide editor scripts / plugins that allow object snapping in the editor, it would already work in play mode.

But you're also right about this copy feature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015

Uggh, why isn't NL2 moddable? All (y)our requests would be made in no time with such a great community.

Anyways, great set Bye Tom! I agree the posts are too close to each other, though. Not that this isn't realistic, but if we can save some polys... ;) Can't wait to see what's ahead, keep up the good work, and thanks.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015 edited

This is the set as of now. Posts are fixed, every object is centered and there's 19 new pieces since last.
    By the way, is anyone is sitting on a coaster (supported) that they'd like to see in a park setting?
    It'd have to be on flat terrain.

I was thinking I'd build a small park layout around it, both for some presentation pictures and just to try the set out "for real".
    It struck me that I don't have a single NL2 coaster fully supported, at least not on flat terrain.
    • CommentAuthordct2012
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015

@Bye Tom - Your set looks GREAT! Also, I have quite a few of fully supported layouts that you could use... what style were you aiming for?

-DechLave T.P Ent.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Did my first real "roadtest", and the set did become harder to use than I thought.
    Things quickly became a mess once you started using the 45 and 22.5 degree angle pieces.
    I worry it will throw off a lot of people, but then again there have been people building park layouts out of supports.

Anyone with an opinion on that? It's not awful,
    but there's no way of making all the pieces fit together seamlessly.
    So you have to fiddle around with putting some parts slightly, slightly lower than others so as to avoid clipping.
    Also you have to turn off snapping to make things work at angles.

One possible solution would be to release a simpler, rct-like path pack later.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015 edited

Posted By: Bye TomThings quickly became a mess once you started using the 45 and 22.5 degree angle pieces.
    [...]
    Anyone with an opinion on that?

Did you tried out what I've suggested before: using pieces that are designed to fit to the square tiles instead of sticking to 22,5° angles and fixed segment length?

I guess the result would almost look the same but the placement would be very easy with a snap distance of 0.5m.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

Yeah, that was what I meant with the rct-style pack.
    I'll have to rework all the 45 and 22.5 degree pieces for that though,
    andthere'll have to be way more building blocks to make it work.
    But I think it's the best solution. Building like this isn't very engaging and fun.

That said, I'll add some pictures to the pieces I have right now and release it next week.
    I might as well, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited

^^ The only way to make it work similar to RCT3 is to introduce a snapping system in NL2 that mimics RCT3, hopefully with some enancements. Adding the capability to snap to edges of other objects is a must. I am still not fully satisfied with the existing snap to grid. With snap enabled you can still drag objects with the gimble without snapping. That should not be possible. Although, rotating with the gimble the angle snaps do work. In my opinion, another thing that is needed, is a way to move and set the origin. If you work in metric, it is not such a big deal, but if you use imperial, the orgin is not offset from the ground correctly. It remains 1 meter below the ground which throws the feet grid off.
    P.S. Your picture does look pretty good. The extra time lining things up, does appear to be well worth the effort.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

Since the whole gridless approach didn't quite work out as I wanted, I decided to start all over with a clean slate.
    Now I'm going for the grid-approach, which has worked much better.
    I was just going to test out placing some pieces, but I got totally carried away, and so here I am posting screens.

By no means am I trying to be a shit-stirrer, but I'll add this to the debate which was brought up in this week's NLCCast (very much enjoyed it btw, great podcast!):
    The responsiveness you get when building paths at the same time as the terrain and coaster while in the editor - that you don't get if you're hopping back and forth between NoLimits and a third party 3D software. The paths in the screens below was built in 10-15 minutes, and if you'd be used to the pack, it could've probably been done in 5. Personally, I have a hard time seeing myself doing something like this in less than 2 hours if I started from scratch in a 3D software. And that's especially a big deal for anyone trying to build a full scale park, which we haven't really seen many people pull off. So as much as I'd agree that custom everything is more impressive - there are plenty of reasons as to why scenery packs can be more useful.

-------

Now, since was considering launching the old pack at some point, I decided to call this version 2.
    Again, thanks for the input, particularly bestdani and the others of you who pushed for it to be based on a fixed grid.
    This works way better, and while my old pack was powerful it was just a headache to build with.
    With this solution I'll need more pieces to the pack, but the workflow is just a joy.

Workflow as of now:

The (as of now) very limited pieces in action:

Pack as of now:
    • CommentAuthornannerdw
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

Very nice. It looks much more useable now. You should also add 2x2 sq, 4x4 sq, and single rails.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

This pack will prove very useful, fantastic work. Thanks a lot!
    • CommentAuthornSeven

RCT3's grid invades NL2...and the results are spectacular!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

Yes. I think these will work out quite well. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Posted By: nSevenRCT3's grid invades NL2...and the results are spectacular!

Although the RCT3 grid has been criticised forever, it's the best way to do this. You can't go totally free without a grid system. The problem with RCT3 was the amount of scenery available. Once that was, solved, it's the perfect system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi

Yes, and I would go further in saying that RCT3's method of adjusting terrain to snap to ride constraints was very useful.
    I think I would actually enjoy using this set a lot!

Question, are we going to start seeing different types of paths? Or queue pieces with speed-rails even?

By the way. I do have one coaster you can use, if you're still in need of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

The result is awesome!

A grid system is very useful for something like this but it's better to have the ability to place things free in the end.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015

The pack is now 35 pieces thick.
    I'm thinking of stopping here.
    I did originally plan for 22,5 degree pieces, but I've come to realise how many extra pieces that'd add to the pack.
    It might just end up being a mess to get started with and use.
    Anyone with an opinion on the matter?

--------

I think it looks really good! Maybe in BT V3 you could add standalone fences for people who like to terraform the paths (like me).
    Is there a download link I've missed or is it not released yet? It's so cool o.o

Although how do you link the pieces together? Do you just have to do precise translation?
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited

Thanks toiletalker, I could perhaps make a railing only version, but if not - the easy (but perhaps graceless) solution would be to lower the paths so that the asphalt is just below the terrain.

Coasterfan, have a look at the .gif animation on page 1. For an illustration of how pieces fit together, that is. The pack isn't quite yet released. I need to do preview photos for all the .nlsco objects, and perhaps the 22,5 degree pieces.