Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

Howdy Folks,

I was feeling nostalgic today so I decided to check out the current NL scene. It looks like the community has come a long way since the demise of CS, and I wanted to pat you on the back for doing a good job. So.... "Way to go, Popcorn and Crew!" (I'm assuming there is an "and crew" though I don't see a list of admin-type folks anywhere). You are clearly more dedicated to the NL community than I ever was. And of course you continue to make certain other sites look like crap... (though to be honest, they do set the bar very low, in my opinion, but that's no reflection on you).

So again, well done! I was pleasantly surprised to see things alive and kicking... even if actual NL program development appears to be hiding in the shadows dragging itself across the floor and gasping for air (or so it seems from here).

If I was to upload old rides (my own and CS Track Tennis Matches I referreed)... What is the best way to do that? Is there any problem with doing them all at once? Or is there a concern with exchange spam? I have 6 ro 7 pack files I have tracked down. Still missing a few.

Peace,
    Phil

-- and since the presence of this post will no doubt spawn some questions from the rest of the world similar to those I have already received via email, here are some answers to help deter them:

NLDC: No plans to re-open. I will revisit that issue if and only if a new major version of NL is released. Please - do not send me messages asking about it.

Mac NL Pack Extractor: Needs native Intel support. I am aware. I have compiled for intel but that introduced some bugs (hangs on file loading) which need sorting. I suspect they are releted to big/little endian byte order. I'm not in a huge hurry to take care of this, but am willing to do so as I have time. However, I do not have Mac OS X Lion, thus I do not have the OS it would be targeting. An update is very unlikely until I acquire it. Since this is the only project even-sort-of on my plate which requires it, that is not likely to happen right off. No one should hold their breath on this. I will not be transferring the codebase to another party as it contains proprietary information on the nltrack and nlpack file specifications.

My wife and I are currently expecting a baby in May, I'm waaay to busy with my IT Consulting business, and we are way behind in getting the Christmas light show up this year (www.WiltonLights.com), so my interest in comitting time to the NL community is pretty much at an all time low... Please do not email, message me, or post questions to me here asking for NL Support. Sorry to be to curt/blunt/dickish about this but I'm *really* tired of those emails and I don't want my presense in this forum to create more of them. Thanks for understanding.
    Wait...you're still alive? Cool! Good to see you around Phil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.M.D.

Great to hear from you RiscIt! Congrats on the Baby, and definitely no need to apologize for real life getting in the way of NL, it's definitely a good thing!

I would say that you should space out the tracks and upload them one at a time every week or every other week. However there is nothing wrong with uploading them all at once in my opinion. My reasoning for spacing them out is purely to add anticipation and excitement.

I can't wait to see those old rides and take the stroll down the CS memory lane. :-)

Staff can be found here: Credits - Nolimits Exchange.

And of course you continue to make certain other sites look like crap... (though to be honest, they do set the bar very low, in my opinion, but that's no reflection on you).

Good to hear. Mission accomplished :-)

Ideally I'd prefer you to not upload all your rides at once.

Still missing a few.

Some members here might have them.

My wife and I are currently expecting a baby in May

Congratulations, in around a months time you'll be able to detect the gender (if my calculations are correct). Good to see you around though, I've missed your hard line approach to the community ;-) (We need you).

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Good to see another old face creep out of the woodwork, and congrats on the impending ankle-biter!

I have a pretty extensive collection of NL tracks floating around my HD - let me know if you're missing anything in particular and I'll take a look.

•  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt

Staff can be found here

Nice looking list of familiar names.

Some members here might have them.

I have:
    Alice's Daydream
    Amazing Grace
    A Mixed Bag - First(?) CS Track Tennis
    Bombing Run (will not upload... it's crap)
    Group Therapy - CS Track Tennis Invitational
    Second Wind
    Splinter Drop
    The Tripple Nipple

If anyone has others and wants to see them uploaded here feel free to throw em at me:
    http://www.thehiltons.net/upload.cgi

I've just uploaded Group Therapy. Thanks for reminding me why I hate Markdown.. ;) To each his own. Thank gawd for div tag exceptions. Also, consider enforcing the 32 character name limit right on the name input field with a maxlength tag attribute. Finding out after you upload isn't much fun and you have to reselect your files and wait again.

I will upload once a week or so. If it's been more than that and anyone who already has my email address cares, feel free to nudge me.

I've missed your hard line approach to the community ;-) (We need you).

Interesting. That's what everyone whined about the most. ;) And no.. I am not needed here. My experience poking around today has assured me of that.

DC High Heat = DCS227? *Looks for CS nickname cross reference*
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4

Ahh, Im in the same boat, I havn't touched NL in forever :( i just... got bored of it sadly, but I look at this site almost every day :D I just don't post. Like Riscit said, good tos ee people are still headstrong for it, I may eventually slowly creep back in, but Im one of those people that likes their work to be better then the average, so it takes me like months to do a ride :( but hey! All hope is not lost, and people are getting REALLY good :) I need to start downloading some rides and rating them lol.

Btw, congrats on the baby! My sisters pregnant and I'm gonna be an uncle! :D
    Yep, that's me, DCs221 on any sites I signed up for a while ago. I didn't like having all those letters and numbers - appeared too random and not very memorable - so I switched it up. Hello again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt

I'd say it was memoroable for me... but clearly I got 1 digit wrong. sigh. ;)
    I can say that NL has been ever so slowly puttering out. Luckily Ole is working on NL2. When that gets released, the community will certainly surge up old players AND new players from the RCT gang that say they are just going to "wait for it" instead of purchase NL1.

The community hasn't completely puttered out though, as you can see under the Month and Year top rating categories we still have some strong ones up every now and then. At the moment (as in this month), things have really gone slow. Winter is coming...I haven't even bothered checking the Exchange for rides. I am however constructing a new ride to surpass Schizophrenia in every way (hopefully), so I'm excited to be doing that again.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Randomman4... you should get back on NL. LOVE your work. Also, this is a strange question, but what's thesong used on your youtube video of Flywheel?
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

First, a few things.

1. NLDC - Whens it coming back?
    2. I dont own a Mac. But the Pack Extractor - whens it going to be fixed?
    3. When are you going to give up your real life to dedicated back to NoLimits?

Oh wait, you didnt want anyone to ask you about those....

Nice to see you sir. I still have some random folders in places entitled "NLDC Pics". But that also shows just how active Ive been in the NL community as well. Im here for morale support.
    • CommentAuthorGavG
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

Good to see you are doing well Riscit. Congratulations and good luck with the new addition to your familly. I was ExtremeG on CS.
    • CommentAuthorHansixx
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011

Hi there everybody and of course Riscit,

its nice to see you return from your NL-hiatus (which reminds me that i havent posted myself anything in a while...).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

random update - We're having a girl. We're naming her Zoey. :)
    Congrats man.
    Posted By: RiscItrandom update - We're having a girl. We're naming her Zoey. :)

Nice! I bless her with the love of roller coasters :P
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^^^When she's ten, get her an account on the forums!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Love the name! Congrats too. I don't recall - is she your first?

•  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt

..and last. ;)

and she's not getting an online account anywhere until she's 13.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Good man.

excellent news! Congratulations and the best of wishes to you and your family. Ps, i'm also jealous, we've been trying for like a year now.
    Congrats, Risclt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012

No need to be jealous. You're in the fun stage. ;)
    Posted By: RiscItNo need to be jealous. You're in the fun stage. ;)

lmao! Good shout.
    Posted By: The_Architect

lmao! Good shout.

Haha. This is an awkward topic for a young teenager so I guess I'll stick to "Guess the Coaster" :P
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012

Posted By: The_Architect

lmao! Good shout.

True story. We arent there yet. We would at least like some sort of savings and for her to be out of school. I like the fun stage. :D
    ^haha, savings... good one! I've been saving for ages, the second you get a few hundred together the car breaks down, or food/fuel shopping goes up etc. My wages have gone up 10% every year for the last four years, but inflation has also gone up and my misses has had her hours cut... so i'm no further forward. Gonna be a years worth of trying in April.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2017 edited

Posted By: Mathew DaviesStaff can be found here: Credits - Nolimits Exchange.

Alright so 5 years later this link is dead. I'm trying to track down the closest this place has to an owner. Who's driving this thing? That you Matt?

Peace,
    Phil
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2017

Nobody. Nobody is driving. A new site is currently under development
    ^We are ghost riding the whip until no limits central is released
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

^^^ Isn't this a record bump - 4 years 10 months?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Staff arranged in no order other than who's been bored and changed their role to park owner v. park security, and then alphabetically:

Staff 1
    Staff 2

Matt is still the site owner, but as best we can tell checks in on NLE maybe once a year or so... so, not really driving the boat. The rest of us have been blowing furiously at the sails for as long as we can, but we're frankly out of breath, so we're (and by that I mean RideWarriorNation is) actively working on a replacement site. Anyone in particular you're trying to get in touch with or for what reason? Just trying to figure out who to steer you towards. Feel free to whisper if you'd rather it be off the record or restricted to staff (all staff can read all whispers).

•  
      CommentAuthorRiscIt
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2017 edited

Thanks all.

Well that's a bit of a bummer. It really seemed like things were going well the last time I was around, and I only expected the release of NL2 to help. Did I jinx it?

Ah well. No worries. I'm in a giving mood is all (or an "unloading" mood depending on how you look at it). I'll check back next year and see where things stand then.

Hang in there, folks!