Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJHawk
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011

General cars discussion topic, mostly moved from Bugatti discussion topic.
    I would just ask a mod to rename the other...but meh.
    Just looked at the 2011 Lamborghini Gallarado. Oh. My. Gawd. sexiest car alive.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011 edited

My (Mustang) GT vs an auto (Mustang) GT a few years ago at Thompson Raceway in NE Ohio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBcO-fpyG8A
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

DON'T CALL IT A GT. That bugs me so much, you're giving it the name of a different car. Nice race though.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick

Actually "GT" is the name of several different cars. I am rather used to posting on Mustang message boards where GT almost entirely refers to Mustang GTs. (Besides, I've mentioned Mustangs in several of my posts so far, so I felt it was rather obvious which "GT" would have an ownership of "my" attached to it... ;) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

I was expecting to see two supercars, not two Mustangs.
    • CommentAuthorReal

LOL. Shifts need to be faster!!!
    • CommentAuthorMaverick

Yeah my clutch slave cylinder was starting to go bad so I couldn't shift as quickly as when I first got the car.

Ling, not many of us here own "supercars"... :-p
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011 edited

Ling, Mustangs are legendary, moreso than most modern day supercars. How many supercars have been made since 1964 and have remained an icon since then? ;)

Maverick just be glad it's on the outside of the transmission. My Jeeps was on the inside, and we didn't install it correctly the first time...

Also manual vehicles transfer power to the ground better than automatics. So if you take 2 cars with identical setups (weight, power, etc.), one manual one auto, then the manual will win in a drag. Reason being is torque converters suck horsepower away. I will never own an automagic.

Posted By: RealLOL. Shifts need to be faster!!!

This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

It doesn't matter in the slightest what sits behind the name, it matters that he's using the wrong name. Not all Mustangs are GTs, but just calling it a GT is wrong. You wouldn't call something a Volkswagen GTi, or a Lamborghini LP. And you seem to be making the argument that the supercar's name matters less because they're less popular (because people can't afford supercars on the same level as Mustangs), which doesn't even matter... why not just call it a Mustang? It's like people calling an iPod Touch an iTouch... that's just not its name, you're mislabeling.

And if it seems like we're well off-topic that's because this thread was completely pointless to separate from the original in the first place, considering how much action has taken place there since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress

Because it's a Mustang GT, that is why we call it a GT- he is NOT using the wrong name whether or not you like that fact, the GT often referring to Grand Touring or Grand Turismo on any make or model of vehicle. There are several cars with the name GT. following the cars identifying name.

FWIW, the iPod Touch is colloquially referred to as the iTouch...
    • CommentAuthorReal

I've never heard it called an iTouch. Just the Touch. However, because so many other cars use the GT name, I refuse to call it just a GT. However if its a normal Stang, I call it a pony since the only one that I only care about is GT and up but really the only one I would ever sit in is the Mustang 302 Boss Laguna Seca. Simply because its powerful AND has something Mustangs don't normally have - top notch suspension and handling. Even more than the Saleen versions which IMO blow away any of the Cobra's or GT's because it isn't just more power. Its more power + complete suspension overhaul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

Posted By: XpressFWIW, the iPod Touch is colloquially referred to as the iTouch...

No, it isn't. Listen to a keynote speech or any official video by Apple. Would you call it an iMini? An iNano? They don't make sense because that's not the name of the item. I don't understand people referring to the iPod Touch as an iTouch -.- But I digress. I'll withdraw until the subject is back on something other than Fords.
    • CommentAuthortehSaturn

Cardboard hoodscoop? Awwwwwww yeah.
    • CommentAuthorReal

Dude the hoodscoops are not as bad as the foil spinnerz, anchor badge on the grill and the foil used under the grill. All that to a Merc? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress

What the hell... Please tell me that's not a stereotypical black guy, and is only from the antics of our friends over at Top Gear UK....

Posted By: Ling
    Posted By: XpressFWIW, the iPod Touch is colloquially referred to as the iTouch...

No, it isn't. Listen to a keynote speech or any official video by Apple. Would you call it an iMini? An iNano? They don't make sense because that's not the name of the item. I don't understand people referring to the iPod Touch as an iTouch -.- But I digress. I'll withdraw until the subject is back on something other than Fords.

That's why I said colloquially referred to as the iTouch. It's not a formal name used by profession, but everyone will recognize it if you refer to it as the iTouch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912

Posted By: LingYou wouldn't call something a Volkswagen GTi

Actually since the only Volkswagen car that is labeled a "GTi" is the Golf, that is one term you could safely use.

Otherwise I agree. Either way, not a big deal...Mav just forgot he wasn't on a Mustang forum. Just like how we have our shorthand on roller coaster forums like SFMM-SFSTL-SFGAm-SFGAd-etc, B&M, GCI, CCI, (T)GG, CP, etc. Obviously on a Mustang forum this wouldn't work well.

There.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick

Thank you Mr. Clarke.

Does anyone else here race? Most drag strips allow any and every vehicle that runs and doesn't leak fluids onto the track. My first 1/4mi race ever was vs a 2000 Taurus with 4 people in it. I think I won by about 5 seconds. :)

I might take my Fusion up there at some time, but I doubt I'll push it the way I do the Mustang.

Xpress, I have a new clutch too. So if I have to be under there I might just do everything.
    Posted By: MaverickLing, not many of us here own "supercars"... :-p

Pssh, speak for yourself, I've got 79 lambos out back. :P
    • CommentAuthorMaverick

I didn't say "none" did I? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Posted By: MaverickXpress, I have a new clutch too. So if I have to be under there I might just do everything.

Depends on where the slave cylinder is. If it's inside on the transmission shaft then yeah you gotta pull the whole tranny out. If it's external then it's like a 20 min job.

Also, may be a good time to replace the throwout bearing and check the pushrod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJHawk

Ive been saving up money in NFS Shift and bought a Veyron 16.4 and a Pagani Zonda F. Use the Veyron for tracks with lots of straights and the Zonda for better handling.
    ^ The Zonda R has awesome handling and incredible speed so its sorta a 2 for 1 deal! And yes... the Zonda F has incredible handling! But still... I prefer the Zonda R...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited

How good are the physics in NFS Shift? It seemed kinda interesting, but then again ProStreet was supposed to be realistic and it wasn't really that realistic because in the end it's still made by NFS.
    ^ Their pretty good... Their realistic but not at the same time... Dont really know how to explain...
    **just practicing typing in bold** Still dont know italics though...
    • CommentAuthorReal

I dont think shift felt realistic at all. There was so little real grip.

Stick to forza and gt for console racers if you want something real. Anything else is mostly just arcade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

My problem with racing games on the PC is that they play totally differently from computer to computer - in Pro Street, the Lamborghini Murcielago was the absolute best car in the game, handled beautifully in all situations, but on my best friend's computer we couldn't even make it turn. Opposite for the Pagani Zonda F. No idea why. I installed Shift briefly at one point, and the Porsche was the best-handling car (in Tier 2) in my friend's game, but it was wobbling all over the place and I couldn't control it at all. NFSMW though, everything is ridiculously nice... must just like my PC. However, my friend did really like Shift. Not Shift 2 though, he said that was crap.

Anyway, I bought NFS: The Run, but since I'm running Windows XP I have to wait until I build my new computer to try it out in a few weeks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJHawk

Posted By: Coaster Hero^ The Zonda R has awesome handling and incredible speed so its sorta a 2 for 1 deal! And yes... the Zonda F has incredible handling! But still... I prefer the Zonda R...

Hold up. I meant Zonda R. I did get a Veyron 16.4 though.

But yeah, the physics in NFS shift make the car slide out the back end in every turn. Kinda fun, but totaly not realistic.

Theres nothing like a good 20 lap race round the Hazyview Eight with 15 opponents in a really expensive car. TOTALED!
    ^ Very true... Its death...
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited

NFS has never been about physics. Its all about gameplay and graphics. It will always be that way. Take those games for what they are - games.

Want sims? You can play Forza and GT though, I must confess, they are the lowest form of Sim racing. Something far closer will be rFactor and IMO at the top of the chain is iRacing. Im a part of iRacing and I must say Im excited for next year, we are getting the GT3 version of the McLaren MP4-12C. Gonna be lots of hotness. Considering how hot the HPD ARX is to drive.

Heres what we are getting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9v2dIj0w0
    Posted By: RealGonna be lots of hotness.

You're Robb Alvey covering IAAPA?

I swear if I had a nickel for everytime he said "new hotness in 2012"... lol
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

I didnt see any of his coverage to be honest. I think 1 video. That was it.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited

That's pretty cool!
    ^^Some of it is pretty interesting. You just have to put up with "new hotness" and you should be okay. If you handled TWISTYYYYY then you should be ok.

There are some good chats with coaster designers though. Except for B&M who are always borderline mute.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited

I think the best part of Robb Alvey's review is 9:15 of this.
    Rinspeed sQuba
    Want.
    Looks sick as a car, sleek, non-emitting, and... can drive underwater.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

^It looks like they ripped-off the Lotus car design. Still awesome, though.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011

Rather appropriate to use a Lotus as a modified "submarine" version was feature in the Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me."
    I don't understand why someone would want to drive their car through a lake, but the fact that it drove itself creeped me out a little.
    My Personal Car

http://www.challengerenthusiast.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Toxic-Orange-Classic-1-1-23-2011.jpg
    Posted By: JAKool^It looks like they ripped-off the Lotus car design. Still awesome, though.

Usually people making prototype cars use shells from existing cars. In this case, they used an Elise or something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJHawk
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

OMG when are they going to put more Top Gear episodes on Netflix!! Ive watched every one several times! I would watch the U.S. version, but it sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

All of the TG shows in one place? Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJHawk
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012

Ive died and gone to Motorhead Heaven (possible coaster name?)!
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

So...

I put a deposit down on this. Should pick up this week sometime, hot off the trailer.

• CommentAuthorMaverick

Should be a fun little buggy... I got a Fusion for AWD to give my pony a break in the winter. How much did you get it for? :)
    • CommentAuthorReal

Its new. Going to lease then purchase. Right now the way my credit/money situation is, I have a lot of money to work with but cant get the rate I want for a straight up loan. So, Ill lease it, have my fun with it then in 3 years, save up, take a huge chunk off their asking price and by then credit will be better and Ill get a small loan.

And who knows, by then I might upgrade the clutch and start to tinker around with it ;)

I think I will at least take it to a drag just to get it up to speed. No power shifting or dropping the clutch though. Not till the lease is up. The guy working on the sale was already keen on what a clutch looks like when its been punished.