Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited

Download/YouTube LINK

Download, rate, and watch this little ride. Quirky and quick to make, but a bit of good fun.

http://i.imgur.com/o8xP5.jpg

Cool man, I liked the subtle shake you added to some of the shots, it gave it a certain something. Nice little ride and great editing. :)
    •  

Thanks! I used them not only because they are cool, but so that they could hide the mousework. When you record in the sim and use the mouse, the input from the mouse movement in the sim comes IN as laggy (since the sim is slowly flickering by). When you watch the video, it's jittery (if you look at certain parts you can see some major blips from the mouse). So the "hand-held camera effect" hides it a tad. If I had video stabilization like Vegas 11, I could probably get rid of the jitters and THEN add the hand-held camera so it would be more professional. But I don't.

I wanted to try out mouse movements again with this video (last video to use it was Il Pitone), and I think I now have the techniques down to remove jittery-ness when recording and when editing. Finesse hand movements combined with shaky cam. In the end, you get that home video feel, and something else besides a linear moving camera, a motionless camera, target view, or the dreaded tracking view. Therefore, you get interesting shots like the one @1:12 with continuous following.

Now that I've gotten some practice, I think I can do better with my next video and put it to good use. I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to try out my underground camera track idea, but I'm glad I found some other type of camera usage than target mode.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

It really shouldn't be this smooth. We're talking about a carnival coaster here.
    •  

Posted By: AJClarke0912 in Über Idea Thread

So it's like an ironic ride because it's cheap and awful in terms of comfort/convenience, yet the track is really fun to ride and somewhat modernized in that it's not a complete jerkfest.

I wanted a sort of "suprisingly good" ride. Not necessarily a bad one. Like one that would look terrible (if given the right cars), but would surprise enthusiast types in being half decent. So it would be a "hidden gem" for the coaster nerds, but would remain being the average boardwalk ride at a chinsy park, "undiscovered".
    Most carnival/wild mouse style coasters I've ridden are actually remarkably smooth regardless of how they look offride.

And I like that AJ, simple but effective way to conceal the jitters. After Effects has numerous ways to stabilize shots, which is what I usually do. Normally I create a new null object and lock the camera position onto a single point and track it, which stabilizes it the best way I've found. Using this same method you can get swift clean movements comparable to if you were filming with a camera mounted on a jib, or a faux aerial shot. But, I actually really liked the subtle twitch you had here, less work and I actually like the effect better, haha. I think I'll throw my own spin on it for a future project using Chaos or Twitch (plugins used to create the "un-stabilized" shaky effect) and assembling it in Vegas.

Do you by chance watch videocopilot? If not, I would check it out. I watched Andrew's tutorials there for about 2 years prior to actually purchasing my own copy of after effects. I always found them really interesting. Even if you don't own after effects or 3ds max, etc, watching the tutorials there really teaches you some nice tricks of the trade which you can apply to your projects where possible. I have an account as myself (thrillsentertainment) on the forums over there as well, which are targeted towards video editing, design, 3d modeling, etc. You should look into it since you seem to be interested in video editing, (and are good at it as well).

http://www.videocopilot.net/

Looks cool, but I don't know if I would use most of that stuff...especially since I don't have AE. I want AE though, but I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble to get it (money-wise or "etc-wise").