Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012

Hey, my name is Michael. I use NoLimits as my coaster simulation program. I used to use rct3 but that doesn't allow much creativity. My coasters are handbuilt because I downloaded newton 2 and I haven't the slightest clue on how to use it. I started to like roller coasters when I took a trip to cedar point one summer and I was hooked. I have an account on coasterforum.net with my older projects that I probably won't be uploading to this website, but if you want to take a look my username is just my first name. I also have a youtube channel where I upload my coasters to. My username on youtube is Hoopsnyoyo15. I currently have quite a few projects going on at once because when I have an idea for a new coaster I have to get it down before I forget what it is. So if it takes me a while to get a project done, I'm sorry but that's just how it is lol. I am happy to be a member here now and I hope you guys like my projects. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnonymous
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012 edited

Welcome to the Forums!!! And it is OK if it takes a while to get your projects done. My projects usually take a while, but then I lose focus on them, so it never reaches the forums.

Blah.

Anyway, welcome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688

Welcome to NLE!
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Welcome ! If you want to learn Newton2, there are some nice tutorials on Youtube. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Welcome to the forums! It's always better to work on a project for a long time and get a satisfying result than to rush it and get a bad coaster which isn't worth the time you have spent on it.
    ^ That.

And also, welcome!
    Hey, we-we-welcome to the forums! I'm slightly new here, and I look forward to your projects :)

Also, if your project takes a long time, that's all right because you are putting lots of work into it.
    Welcome to NLE. ;)

When starting with Newton watching tutorials can help a lot, along with just making random rides and simply getting used to the software.

A very early Newton ride of mine-

Photobucket

And a much more recent one-

Photobucket

As you can see there is a huge difference, and that's just because I worked with it, figured out how to shape things using different force zones, and I was patient.
    lol I remember watching your first Newton ride. Is that still uploaded? *checks*

Oh, and hi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012

Ok guys let me set one thing straight.... I don't want my creations to be like all the other creations already made. I want them to be original. I don't mind criticism and stuff. But don't demand me to do something ... I will do what I feel fit. I want my creations to be original and not like "the other ones" ... No coaster designer or manufacturer got anywhere by copying somebody else. They were original and that's what got them noticed

^ See, that's the problem. Sometimes some people make a mediocre design and claim that "they were trying to be original". In reality it's not. We're not demanding you to make your rides unoriginal. We're advising you to make a nice track. Are we against original rides? Hell no. But if you really want your rides to be good, then you have to learn how to take constructive criticism without getting the wrong idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

No I can take the constructive criticism, but somebody saying "do this" or "change it" or something along those lines is not constructive criticism .. Saying "i suggest you do this or that" seems more polite and less rash.
    Posted by Ling on the "Intamin 12 inversion coaster - unnamed" threadSeems like just a continuous stream of elements. Gotta mix it up somehow.

I don't think that's demanding, yet you still consider it as harsh. I call that advice.
    Posted By: m_haugh16No coaster designer or manufacturer got anywhere by copying somebody else. They were original and that's what got them noticed

actually coaster manufacturers copy each other all the time. but yeah like it was said before, were not saying "Be B&M!!" were saying that the trackwork in them pictures doesn't seem like something a themepark would ever build. we are trying to help you not shun your coasters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

Yeah I understand where you are coming from ... I don't mind constructive criticism... I'm just saying that I don't want to be demanded to do something .. Sorry but saying "do this" or "change that" sounds very demanding especially when placed at the end of a sentence ... Sorry for saying that but I take suggestions, not demands .. There are better ways to word things then what has been done
    • CommentAuthorrctthebest

Posted By: m_haugh16 Sorry but saying "do this" or "change that" sounds very demanding especially when placed at the end of a sentence ... Sorry for saying that but I take suggestions, not demands .. There are better ways to word things then what has been done

some people here are non-native speakers (me including), so you have to take most of what you read here with a grain of salt. and i don't think anyone has demanded you to change something, only suggestions (which i would take into account)
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.M.D.

I totally understand and agree with where you are coming form Michael. I have seen many times recently on this forum people who's suggestions/advice are presented in a forceful borderline rude manner. Many times when reading comments I have felt exactly like you said that they are telling people what to do rather than making suggestions and leaving it up to the builder whether or not to take them. That being said, I think this is a result of a constant stream of "newbies" in the past couple of months who had joined this forum, started building rides and ignored pretty much every and all piece of criticism given only to get upset when they uploaded rides that received poor ratings.

In my experience, it's not really worth your time to get upset because you think people are telling you what to do. Simply take all comments with a grain of salt and keep on doing what you want. After all you bought the program to create what you wanted to create, not to please everyone on NLE. However, if you are going to be a builder who cares about the ratings your coaster gets, you better believe that if someone mentions an issue they have while you are building, and you don't address that issue they will most likely rate down for it when you eventually upload.

Just some things to consider.

-two cents-
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

Thank you for understanding ... I understand where you are coming from and I will try to do that
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.M.D.

rctthebest also raises a good point. Many people on NLE are non-native english speakers and so the way they type some comments may come across differently than they intend. Just another reason to take things with a grain of salt.
    I can see where you are coming from, but honestly, I haven't really seen any demanding remarks. Basically everything someone tells you in a construction thread they are telling you because they want to help you improve your ride and make it to the best of your ability; so you can improve and get higher ratings. If you don't want people giving you their opinions and criticism, simply do not make the thread in the first place. When you make a thread you have to expect people to disagree with things, you are supposed to channel that. You do not have to do everything we say, but if you merely get mad at users for giving you advice, I can promise you that you will stop getting comments in your threads at all because no one will want to supply any input anymore. Personally, I feel you are being quite stubborn, and that's not a good thing to be on a forum. Think of it like a big family of sorts, we all work on projects and then tell each other what is good and whats needs some work because without any wrongs, you will never improve and grow as a builder. Any criticism is good criticism, it means people are interested in your ride. Some rides sink without getting a single remark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

Thanks I will try to work on that ... May I also say that I am currently getting ready for exams so I may seem a bit stressed and I'm sorry if I have come off as stubborn ... I appreciate your criticism and I will try to take things with a grain of salt
    ^ it takes time, i used to be the most stubborn of people when it came to my coasters, used to think what i was doing was the best way and nobody could tell me otherwise :P haha, with taking on peoples criticism i am now so much better, and more respectable member of the forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.M.D.

^^^Thrills: I think he is talking about the wording that people use. I know it's a subtle difference, but something as simple as, "I *think* you should..." vs. "You should..." goes a long way to make it feel like a suggestion instead of an order/demand.