Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Oh umm B&M, PC, and I don't own a camera.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012

nerd fight

nerd fight

nerd fight
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: baadrixsim.supports.tubeN.radius=
    Add this line to your .env file you're using (N is the support type - 1 is the smallest, 5 the largest), then put a number behind it. That number is the radius in meter (at least I believe).

You can put numbers <1, like 0.2, 0.5... =)

About NL, is there any way to hide those red captions in the sim? I know you can modify the text while loading, so..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited

^I was talking about the N in the line 'sim.supports.tubeN.radius='

EDIT: Removed the loading screen settings, KingRCT's list below is better than mine anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ Oh, obvioulsy. My mistake. ;)

No, by red captions I meant texts like "Emergency Stop enable" and such.. See what I mean?

On a side note, your list isn't complete:

sim.gui.loading.startsim=.
    sim.gui.loading.initopengl=
    sim.gui.loading.calcshadows=
    sim.gui.loading.createshadows=
    sim.gui.loading.processtree=
    sim.gui.loading.vehicles=
    sim.gui.loading.sceneobjs=
    sim.gui.loading.createscenery=.
    sim.gui.loading.createsupp=.
    sim.gui.loading.createenv=
    sim.gui.loading.createtrack=
    sim.gui.loading.trackfile=
    sim.gui.loading.trackinitd=
    sim.gui.loading.createscene=
    sim.gui.loading.createlights=
    sim.gui.loading.setenv
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012

^Sorry, lol. I think we misunderstood each other.

Afaik, you cannot remove the letter in the sim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012

Answering LuisValdez's question from waaaay back on page 2 (it won't let me quote for some reason)

The Beast may seem like it magically creates speed out of nowhere, but that's only because you don't have a reference point while you're riding. Kings Island is built on the edge of a river valley, and the back of the park has some seriously drastic changes is elevation. The Dinosaurs Alive exhibit is quite a hike, Adventure Express is sequestered away on a hillside, Flight Deck's turns are at eye level because the ride is built in a deep ravine, and the reason that Son of Beast's 200 foot high turn didn't cost billions is because it's on a hill, and the ride drops into a valley. The waterpark even has a terrain waterslide, which is something I've never seen before.

As for The Beast, the first drop may be only 135 ft, but the change in elevation from the top of the first hill to the bottom of the ride is over 300 vertical feet. You feel like you're magically going faster and faster because when you're in the forest, you can't tell that the ground is gently sloping downwards. There are serious trims on the second drop (UGH BUZZKILL) and at the end of that covered breakrun that you can't really see at all in the POVs but when you ride it you can really, really feel them. That's the only reason that you don't hit 70+ mph at the bottom of the ride. Also, the POVs don't quite convey how sloped the land is, but when you ride it IRL you can see how steeply the land slopes away, especially behind the mega-helix. If they hadn't put that helix there, they could have extended that last drop for probably another 80 feet or so, imagine that for a finale!

Also, the land right behind Diamondback's hammerhead drops away drastically. Can you imagine if B&M had, after the second camelback, put in a low to the ground speed hill that then dropped all the way down to the valley floor and then whipped up into a colossal hammerhead, and then speed around the valley floor giga-style and finished up with a bunny hop or two? It would have been life-changing! *secretly wishes that Kings Island tears down SOB and puts in a terrain giga coaster that does just that* :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.S.Coasters
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited

Posted By: The_Architect@ ASC: Your talking to B&Ms biggest fan, Intamin vs B&M is like PC vs Mac, Nikon vs Canon blah blah. I'm a B&M, Mac, Canon dude lol.

I can settle for that. :p

And I never got why Mac vs. PC was a big debate anyways, it's pretty pointless.
    It's because some people apparently have nothing better to feel good about themselves for than what kind of computer they own.
    Posted By: skyasaurusAlso, the land right behind Diamondback's hammerhead drops away drastically. Can you imagine if B&M had, after the second camelback, put in a low to the ground speed hill that then dropped all the way down to the valley floor and then whipped up into a colossal hammerhead, and then speed around the valley floor giga-style and finished up with a bunny hop or two? It would have been life-changing! *secretly wishes that Kings Island tears down SOB and puts in a terrain giga coaster that does just that* :P

Dude, that'd be awesome! I'm not even kidding.
    Posted By: A.S.CoastersAnd I never got why Mac vs. PC was a big debate anyways, it's pretty pointless.

I sort of agree... both have pros and cons, AND fit you based on what you need. It's matter of preference, and that's really it.
    ^exactly, but some people can't hack that your preference is different to there's, and others can't hack criticism whether it is justified or not.
    • CommentAuthorPePpO
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012

Can anyone download .5.0. from Xpress?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

What was the reason again why coasters are faster when the temperature is higher?
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Picture yourself a roller coaster. If you were running naked (roller coasters don't wear clothes) outside in the cold, would it be harder to move your apendages. Most likely. When it is warmer outside, the more easy it would be to move. The loss of speed is mostly due to the amount of semi-hardend grease on the wheels, that's why Intamin uses heaters in the station that are turned on during cold days to keep the grease from quagulating.
    Hey, I just noticed that almost every B&M / Intamin / many others are designed by Ingenieurbuero Stengel. Does this mean that B&M / Intamin / etc. don't really design their rides, but they get the credit? Because I wouldn't really be interested in their rides all that much anymore if that was the case. Please, anyone, prove my guess wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

They do both design and manufacture. And you should be interested because the rides that they don't design, they perfect (i.e. smoothing, shaping, etc.).
    Phew, that's a relief. It's a good thing for me to know that they do design too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Thanks IntaLSM! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrandonR

Stengel is a consultant and contractor and is involved heavily in the design process, but so is B&M/Intamin/etc. I'd say B&M and Intamin handle more of the nitty-gritty details.
    Here's how I see it:
    Ingenieur-Buro Stengel is an engineering company that does mostly the physics of the ride as well as the overall design. (They actually invented the clothoid loop and was one of the first designers to heartline their rides and also probably invented the Stengel curve). B&M/Intamin/Schwarzkopf work more with bringing their ideas to real pieces of roller coaster, distributing it, and working with the theme parks. Parks go to B&M/Intamin etc who in turn go to Ing.-Buro Stengel. Ing.-Buro Stengel doesn't build rides, B&M/Intamin/Schwarzkopf builds rides.

You can see a full list of what Ing-Buro Stengel does here under the "scope of work" tab.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Just to give you an idea of how much work they did, Maverick was their 500th coaster...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

B&M don't work with Stengel anymore since a few years, I heard.
    • CommentAuthorNoLimitzki

^That's when the shaping of their airtime hills changed.

From long crest-to-valley transitions like this...

To shorter transitions like this.

•  
      CommentAuthorLing
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012

Is there a way within NoLimits to set up the blocks such that a launch will either not act on a train when E-Stop is pressed, or to prevent a successive train from entering the station before the launch block is cleared?
    What is Malware? I'm getting that problem all over the forums, and it says that it might be related to www.alaskatrekker.com ....
    Ling make the launch block a blocked brake segment with a really low decel etc and high numbers for the transport device maybe?
    What is the lift angle of a B&M dive machine?
    Take a sideveiw picture of a Dive Machine lift hill and use it as reference.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

@Ling, possibly have the last block before the station a bit farther away from it so by the time the train reaches the station, the launch will be cleared?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Posted By: LightsAndMagicWhat is the lift angle of a B&M dive machine?

I know SheiKra's lift is 45°
    Why does Skyrush's first drop have a pump?
    ......nobody knows.......
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited

Posted By: Luisvaldez989Why does Skyrush's first drop have a pump?

Or its voluntary, to put a small 'pop' of airtime (like in OzIris, before the loop) ; or it isn't voluntary, just something like when in Newton you don't use linear out of a first drop.

EDIT : Fixed html
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989Why does Skyrush's first drop have a pump?

If you look at the edge of the water right underneath the first drop you can see that the drop has to pump to hit its max angle without having the huge footer for the tower support be in the water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

Posted By: TheBeatles@Ling, possibly have the last block before the station a bit farther away from it so by the time the train reaches the station, the launch will be cleared?

I'm more concerned about it failing the E-Stop test. I know NoLimits's method of handling launches as blocks isn't exactly the best, but I'd still like to try. And I'm realizing right now either a) how limited it really is, or b) how limited my knowledge of it really is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited

Re: Skyrush's first, kinky drop

Or, they flubbed the footer placement and/or support angle by a few fractions of some unit of measurement, and had to muscle the track a bit to get it to fit. See also: the kink in helix on Time Machine/Led Zeppelin at the now defunct Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park.

Millimeter-precise track fabrication is great and all, but it shifts a tremendous amount of responsibility to the construction squad. Botch a footer by a few increments of measurement, it becomes a matter of "how do we, the iron workers, make this darn thing fit?"

Brute-forcing the thing into place is a lot easier (and less time consuming) than disassembling a support, redrilling/repouring a footer, and rebuilding the support/track section days/weeks/longer later. Noting also that the support in question is the biggest one with the deepest footer (probably) on the whole ride... a full redo (re-pour/re-build) could have set the ride back months. Add loads of varying topography (which can make surveying a bit more complicated), and it seems fairly likely that a slight construction hiccup, rather than intentional design on Intaride's part, is the cause of that kink.

•  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan

When I am using a laptop to run NL, since my desktop doesn't have internet, I sometimes get bored and wanna take off-ride shots of the rides that I download. But when I press the "0" key it doesn't start to record. Is there some special combination of keys that you have to press?

2nd question: Does anyone think that the NL team will let me have the Mac download link for free? I just got one yesterday and want to put it on. I already sent them an email at nolimits@nolimitscoasters.com asking if I could but I'm waiting currently on a response.
    ^It must be the 0 on the number pad...if you don't have one, change the key to something that hasn't been used yet. On the second one, I doubt it. Not impossible, but VERY improbable. I haven't heard of anyone getting lucky on that.
    1. Try putting on num lock.

2. If you emailed them, yes.
    Posted By: I305Evan2nd question: Does anyone think that the NL team will let me have the Mac download link for free? I just got one yesterday and want to put it on. I already sent them an email at nolimits@nolimitscoasters.com asking if I could but I'm waiting currently on a response.

I asked because I wanted it on my temporary high school MacBook and they said no (but they said they'd give a half-off discount). Naturally, I declined since I didn't need it for the last 3 months at school where I won't really use it anyway.
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012

Does this look like a B&M hill? I think it looks perfect, well not perfect, but close as heck, compared to leaving it at 0G the whole time.

•  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan

They haven't responded yet so I will hope. I will try it once I get it on my computer but I never got it to work. I didn't have num-lock on my other laptop. I didn't have a full keyboard that included the number keys on the side, they were just on the top row.
    You can change the settings you know.
    • CommentAuthorI305

What's a realistic B&M Hyper lift angle?
    Take a sideveiw picture of a B&M Hyper lift hill and use it as reference.
    • CommentAuthorI305

teejaysyke, how exactly did you make your B&M Air time hill in Newton 2? I'm having trouble with mine...
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.S.Coasters
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited

^^^Use a reference picture or use the search feature.

Just because it's an ask thread doesn't mean you ask everything that you think of.

^ I agree. That question is asked every time anyone ever makes a B&M hyper. Get a reference picture and a protractor and measure it yourself.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

The_Architect had a very informative picture that I saw somewhere around here... it was simple but it helped me out a lot. Try asking him.