Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Why does the roll on V2 jut out at a ridiculously low angle when most impulse coasters have vertical rolls?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012

V2 at SFDK used to be just like all the other impulse coasters, but the city realized it was taller than the 150' height limit so the park shortened the back spike and re did the front spike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Why do Vekoma SLC's have ridiculously slow chain lifts?
    Why do Chinese coasters have a ridiculous amount of catwalks+ridiculously slow lifts as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

I once heard the catwalks actually have to be there, it's their law...
    On the subject of the topper vs Iron Horse track. That second picture has a URL of http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/images/topper18.jpg and it's on the RMC site. I'm pretty sure that it's topper track.

EDIT: Here is a great example. The topper track is actually bolted to the track below. Observe.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

While we're on the subject... Topper track is like what you pictured, and "Iron Horse" track = "I Box" track. Topper track is what's going on at SDC, I Box is New Texas Giant.

There are close ups, cross sections, and videos on the front page of their website. Confusion: obliterated.

ahh okay thanks for correcting my guys :) i was going off a few things i read about texas giant having whats known as topper track :)

now i know :P haha and hopefully more coasters will get this! :D
    I still don't see the point of using topper track on an original ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Less wear and tear, provides a smoother ride, and is less costly.
    But Iron Horse track is even stronger. I just don't understand why they didn't use it when all of topper track's previous applications were just for fixing areas of rides that desperately needed it.
    Because topper track can still be classified as a wooden coaster, while I-Beam cannot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

To expand on that...

A ride with Topper Track is (in my opinion anyway), still a wooden coaster. It is still steel rails on laminated wood in a wooden track bed (mostly) on a wooden structure. The strength and precision design of the "topper" part means that the ride can do more and require less maintenance than a typical woodie, but leaving wooden laminate in the rails means that you don't lose (all of) the give and rattle that make a wooden coaster "feel" like a wooden coaster.

A ride with I-Box / Iron Horse track is, in my opinion, a steel coaster. It's got steel rails attached to a steel track bed attached to a wooden structure. The ride is smoother, and the wood adds effectively nothing but aesthetics to the ride experience. It's closer in spirit to a Mine Train or Gemini @ Cedar Point than it is to any wood coaster.

You buy a Topper Track ride when you want a wooden coaster. You buy an I-Box ride when you don't.

I believe a topper track can also just be metal plates on laminated wood like on Gwazi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Any links or pictures to support that? I'm not familiar with Topper Track being used without the steel "box" section on top (nor it being used on Gwazi). Even this test installation on Tremors still has the full Topper "box" rail, it's just bare metal rather than bright red.

• CommentAuthorJAKool

Okay guys, my question has been answered by BBSpeed. Thanks, and we don't need to fight about it.
    ^^ Oh okay whatever then
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

Uber question that has been bugging me: Why do all the S&S 4D coasters have such unique shaping? Even though they have near identical layouts, X2, Dinaconda and Eejanaika each have very distinct shaping. Why is this?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

^That's true, I never thought of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA.S.Coasters
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012 edited

X2 was designed by Arrow and the other two are clones by S&S Power. Different companies shape things differently.
    X2's turn by the station exhibits one of Arrow's first attempts at heartlining so it makes sense that it would be different from the other two and the difference in Eejanaika's and Dinoconda's probably comes down to Eejanaika being more geometrically shaped and Dinoconda more with an FVD program. The difference in the shaping of the first raven turn is because on Dinoconda and Eejanaika need the time at the top to complete a 540* flip at the top while X2 only does a 180* flip at the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2012

^I figured as much for the 540, but it seems kind of strange to pour that much money into the 4D section of the company only to be remaking that same layout. But I guess, it would be understandable seeing as they are probably improving on the design each time, trying to make it more comfortable/thrilling/reliable/maintainable/etc
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

^I've always wondered why they didn't put a pretzel loop on one. I think it would be a cool feature.
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

I have a question, IDK if it's really appropriated to the topic, but i'll still ask you : Do you pronounce Ispeed "ee speed" (italian way) or "I speed" (english way). And how do you pronounce "Katun" ?
    its said I speed, and katun, is said catoon, im guessing that thats the easiest way to type it? :P
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^That makes sense. I've been wondering that for years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012

Posted By: IntaLSM^I've always wondered why they didn't put a pretzel loop on one. I think it would be a cool feature.

Agreed! In one of my RCT2 4D designs, I started with a vertical drop, and then a full loop and a half. I think that would be awesome too.
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989 on the Photography threadHmm, I wonder how the Michigan's Adventure Thunderhawk seems to be much smoother than the other SLCs (at least according to the people who ride it)...
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012

^Yeah, I dunno... I think it has new cars or new restraints.

On the subject of SLC's, is the Mind Eraser at Elitch Gardens an extreme headbanger like the other ones?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Would SLCs be fun if they weren't so rough? I've never had the opportunity to ride one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxmantoo00

Posted By: TheBeatlesWould SLCs be fun if they weren't so rough? I've never had the opportunity to ride one.

Mind Eraser at SFA is a lot more fun, because it's probably the smoothest with the original trains...
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Posted By: TheBeatlesWould SLCs be fun if they weren't so rough? I've never had the opportunity to ride one.

I think they are fun. They are rough, the front is the smoothest, but they are fun. I don't know why people complain about them so much. The ride is intense. Many people don't notice it though because they are complaining about being tossed around.

Well I rode one yesterday (Great Nor'Easter @ Morey's Piers) and they are fun, but the roughness kills it because you're too busy thinking how much pain you're in rather than enjoying the ride. I went on a wooden roller coaster with lots of lats and that was more smooth. So to answer your question, yes they would be extremely fun because the drop would be intense, and the sidewinder would have the forces it should, and the compact turns and double barrel roll would be really fast and fun. Unfortunately, the double barrel roll is the most painful part and I was literally screaming "ow".
    They vary. The early SLC's (first ever batch includes T2, Great Nor'Easter, and El Condor) are truly rough, whereas some of the newer ones like Thunderhawk are much smoother.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

So, is the Elitch Gardens Mind Eraser really rough? I need to know so I know whether to skip or ride.

Why not ride it? Then you could have an extra credit.

• CommentAuthorJAKool

^I don't keep credits in mind. And, I've ridden Viper (SFMM). If I have to experience headbanging like that ever again, I'll die.
    Posted By: JAKoolIf I have to experience headbanging like that ever again, I'll die.

I guess I was quite the masochist when I was 9 years old, riding an old Vekoma Boomerang (with the old trains) like there was no tomorrow.
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989 I guess I was quite the masochist when I was 9 years old

Maybe I still am....

I ride Shockwave, Anaconda, Grizzly, and Hurler as much as I can...

(And I honestly am a little bit of a masochist....)
    •  
      CommentAuthorxmantoo00

Posted By: Luisvaldez989I guess I was quite the masochist when I was 9 years old, riding an old Vekoma Boomerang (with the old trains) like there was no tomorrow.

The ultimate test: Marathon Great American Scream Machine (SFGA) AND Ninja (SFOG). Not very hard though...
    Posted By: coasterguy55I ride Shockwave, Anaconda, Grizzly, and Hurler as much as I can...

Anaconda hurt my head so much on Thursday that I was almost crying in pain by the end of the ride. Grizzly and Hurler were surprisingly smooth though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012 edited

lol When I was little I rode Python at BGT (since the B&Ms had too high of a height limit) like no tomorrow because my head would simply go under the OTSRs. So it was never a "headbanger". Seriously I marathon'ed the sh*t out of that ride if you ask any of my family members. No line meant like 40 rides per day. It was/is ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

So, Mind Eraser, Elitch Gardens? Head banger? Anyone???
    Hey everyone, this might be a nooby question, but I have been trying to make a good design for a B&M invert and I am having so much trouble making a vertical loop on Newton2 where the train enters it at 50mph. I am very experienced with the program now and I am able to make the loop shaped well, but no matter what I do there is always a small pump at the crest where the radius gets larger than before for a brief moment then gets smaller again. It is very annoying, so could anyone give me advice to how to make the optimal inverted vertical loop at which the train enters at 50mph? Just numbers to punch into the program, perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorIntaLSM

Start the sextic force reduction at around 35-40*.
    Hey guys, just to let you know I rode a Vekoma SLC two days ago and now I have a really bad neck spasm and can barely move my neck. Go figure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

Posted By: LaunchTowerHey guys, just to let you know I rode a Vekoma SLC two days ago and now I have a really bad neck spasm and can barely move my neck. Go figure.

I don't get these complaints really. I rode Vampire at Walibi World Belgium and it was great. It shakes you a bit, sure, but then again it was nothing like Mean Streak, which threw out my back on the third drop. And Excalibur at Valleyfair is truly rough and knockabout. Vampire was totally bearable. Plus the forces on the rollover and the sidewinder are spectacular.
    Posted By: IntaLSMStart the sextic force reduction at around 35-40*.

OMG. I don't why those simple stats helped me so much, but I got it to work! XD I thought I tried doing that same thing before, but whatever. Thanks I guess.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

On the SLC topic, what about Mind Eraser at Elitch Gardens??? Anyone???
    Posted By: JAKoolOn the SLC topic, what about Mind Eraser at Elitch Gardens??? Anyone???

Wouldn't know, but it looks like about half are somewhat smooth and the other are brutally painful