Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited

Hey guys, this will be the place where I show my work in progress, just to have everything nice and clean. To start of, I want to show you a twisted 4-seater (I intentionally did not say twisted B&M) which uses the "new" element I presented to you some time ago in the Über idea Thread. As the first layout wasn't clean enough I scrapped the old one (the one I showed in the Idea Thread) and rebuild it. So here we go.

Statistics:

Name: Apophis (decided 10/1)
    Height: 54 m - 177 ft
    Speed: 111 km/h - 69 mp/h
    Lenght: 1342 m - 4400 ft
    Inversions: 6 (double dive loop, Immelman, Cobra Roll, Heartline Roll)

Time to show some screenshots (click on them for full res):

First Drop and Immelman

Shot from the last step of the custom made (not finished) catwalk. You see pretty much the whole first section up to the MCBR. Elements are as follows: First Drop -> Ejector Hill -> S-Curve -> double Dive Loop -> Overbank -> Ejector Hill -> Immelman -> 360° Curve above water -> MCBR (still above water, will change it to make it more realistic)

double Dive Loop: definitely the signature element of this coaster

Shot from Catwalks down to the second part: Cobra Roll -> Helix -> two S-Curves -> Heartline Roll -> End

closer look at the second part

Heartline Roll to the end

As you see I'm currently designing the custom 3ds. This will include some tunnels, custom catwalks, custom station, and I'm planning on creating a little park around the coaster.

Feel free to comment. The layout is done, and as I created it in Newton2, I won't change it unless someone finds a super huge flaw. That being said, I can only think of the Cobra Roll being weirdly shaped, as I literally spent 6 hours alone on that element :D

Greetings from Germany, Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012

What's the angle of the first drop and how many G does it pull?
    I'm not a fan of your heartline roll, it should be flatter; right now it's more a 0-G-roll. But I definitely love the "Double Dive Loop", very nice element.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited

Yes I cheated a little in the Heartline Roll. As there are 4 persons in one row the ones sitting at the side would have quite painfull laterals going through a "real" Heartline Roll at my speed, so I made it a 0,7g Roll (where 1g would be straight Heartline).

The First Drop pulls max 4.3g, it has more like ~3.9g. Here are two shots of the First Drop:

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

How did you do that amazing, EGF-like first drop? Is it a multi-force zone or curved geometry (assuming you used Newton²)? I've tried to make a similar drop for ages, but I always failed miserably ... :/
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

The first 30° of the drop are indeed curved, after that I used a multi-force zone. For that drop you HAVE to use laterals (I used +0.150 to get the curve right) and timewarping transitions. The drop isn't really like EGF because I hardly have to roll back to 0° roll unlike EGF.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

Update on the 3ds:

I'm only occasionally working on this project, but it is still rolling. I finished the catwalks on the lifthill and I'm pretty satisfied with the look.

I worked a bit on the station and the queue line, but as I'm unsure how I'll model the surrounding area I continued with other work.

And as I really like the idea of a tunnel following the First Drop....

Just a short update, how do you guys like the 3ds work so far? Anything i didn't account for?

Greetings, Lenny
    Sorry for asking, but what tools do you use to make that rock tunnel? N00b Sketchup person here, haha. Anyways, nice design, I think it has some potential.
    By the looks of the precision and box shape, probably Tunnel Maker was used for the tunnels. Then SU's Sandbox, or a Terraformer terrain export, for the giant rock thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxmantoo00

Based on what I see in the last pic, I felt this was necessary:

ahhh archy's meme :D :D :D
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: LaunchTowerSorry for asking, but what tools do you use to make that rock tunnel? N00b Sketchup person here, haha. Anyways, nice design, I think it has some potential.

Posted By: AJClarke0912By the looks of the precision and box shape, probably Tunnel Maker was used for the tunnels. Then SU's Sandbox, or a Terraformer terrain export, for the giant rock thing.

^This.

And haha yes the good old bug with the Construction Kit.
    I love the tunnels and hope that there's a lot of terrain interaction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Wow, I really love the catwalks and the station so far. Great work on the tunnels, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

You have an absolutely massive screen 0.o How big is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

It looks to be about the same size as mine. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012

Posted By: rcrider4You have an absolutely massive screen 0.o How big is it?

I have a 24'' main screen with a resolution of 1920 to 1200, my second screen has 22'' and resolution of 1680 to 1050.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012

That's it? It looks like it has a higher resolution than that. That's barely more than my laptop :P
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012

Update:

I really have to start thinking about a name for this ride as 3ds work is going on well. So let me feed you with some new screenshots :)

more big stones

station area with a look at the MCBR section on which I mainly worked today, the circular stairs were pretty fun to make

So good so far, if anyone has ideas how to name that coaster, please let me know :)

Greetings, Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorxmantoo00

AMAZING! I like the way it looks a lot. :) Continue!

Way too much grey.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Very nice progress, the textures are great!
    Suggestion for a name: Anguis/Anguinis (snake/snaky in Latin) - somehow, I have a "Latin day" today. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012

Posted By: A.S.Coasters

Way too much grey.

Like there's about fifty shades of... Oh, nevermind.

The textures are beautiful, but isn't the track too close to the pathway on the second pic?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

I plan on building fences, and if those are too close, I will move the pathway away a bit.

I mean add in some other color, like maybe change the color of the rocks or make the pathway red brick. It looks off (in a way) when that whole area is generally one shade.

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: A.S.Coasters

I mean add in some other color, like maybe change the color of the rocks or make the pathway red brick. It looks off (in a way) when that whole area is generally one shade.

Just changed the bricks to be red'ish, quite happy with the result. Also I just added some fencing. You are quite close, but imo not too close to the track. I'll make more screenshots this evening or so (europe time that is).
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

It is really time to update this one here. I was kind of lazy to upload pictures and providing some more data for quite some time now. But here it goes. This ride evolves slowly but steadily. Supportwork is now kind of finished (except from flanges, which WILL come) and I'm back to 3ds work now. I had to redo the whole track after the MCBR because the first cobra roll had too tight of a pull-out. That threw the whole project back like 10 hours or so (imagine redoing the second half of your Newton-ride while hitting the already modeled 3ds tunnels just right).

So lets see some screenshot shall we?

overview of the general supporting

the rest of the track /w supports

area of the cobra roll with updated brick textures (the plain grey textures are yet to be replaced)

storage house still greatly w.i.p., work just started today and again the textures are not final

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

Nice update, Lenny. I love the stairs to the catwalks, in general the supports look good, except the one before the MCBR where the diagonal tubes are connected to the lateral tube.
    nice man, looking good.
    This looks really cool! Just one big thing I noticed is that all the lateral bracing supports are slightly sticking out from the main support structure, while they should fit in the middle and mesh with it. :)
    The new color looks so much better and atmospheric.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

This will most likely be the last update before this coaster - now finally named Apophis - will hit the exchange. I've come to a point where I really think the trackwork does not deserve any further detailed 3ds work. Now that the name is set in stone I changed the trackcolor to a light blue. As you will see in the following pictures I mostly worked on the two buildings and on the queue line which got extended a bit (still think it is too short but well it's a simulation after all). I added 3ds footers to the supports ending in my 3ds rocks. The next days I will most likely add flanges and finalize supportwork. Now to the pictures:

mostly finished entrance building and queue

mostly finished storage building and transfer track

section before MCBR in full beauty

coming our of the exit tunnel you see the entrance of the coaster

fake tunnel lightning

the whole thing in one shot

I'm currently unsure what my next project will be, so I let you decide which one would be more popular.
    a) A Expedition GeForce recreation, I visited Holiday Park last Saturday and the queue was totally empty such that I could ride that coaster like 20 times. I feel competent enough to make an accurate recreation of this ride. My fear is that the project might be a bit too large considering my 5th semester in university will start next week.

b) A custom Mega Coaster (probably Intamin'ish). This will be inspired by "Expedition GeForce" and "Goliath". But I'm not sure if I get enough originality in such a ride as there are plenty of Mega Coasters on NLE already.

c) A smaller coaster like a Mouse Coaster, an Euro Fighter or a spinning ride.

Let the vote begin :)

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Wow, that looks great, I love the "fake tunnel lighting". The colours are a bit Leviathan-like, but the other ones were Hulk-like, so I guess I'm fine with the colours. :)

As for your next project: I definitely vote for a), but b) also sounds good.
    ... I still hope I can visit Holiday Park this year ...
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Posted by me on my thread :everything that an intamin mega needs ! This one is a mix between EGF and Goliath.

Posted By: altlennyA custom Mega Coaster (probably Intamin'ish). This will be inspired by "Expedition GeForce" and "Goliath".

:P

I'll vote for a)

And I love the tunnel lighting too ! :)
    The colors don't remind me of a chaos snake. :P

Other that that, it looks cool. I vote for a) as I've never seen a good EGF recreation before.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2012

Posted By: gigacoasterfanThe colors don't remind me of a chaos snake. :P

Does any of these remind you of a prehistoric giant warrior? This will not be a heavily themed ride.

I will see what I can do with EGF, there are plenty of online reference materials to work with, so I'll give it a shot :)

Posted By: s4mumu
    Posted by me on my thread :everything that an intamin mega needs ! This one is a mix between EGF and Goliath.

Posted By: altlennyA custom Mega Coaster (probably Intamin'ish). This will be inspired by "Expedition GeForce" and "Goliath".

Europeans (I'm guessing you are from Europe) don't have much else Intamin inspiration. Look at all the heavily I305 inspirated rides which dominated NLE for quite some time. It's not a bad thing to get inspirated by the two best Intamin rides Europe has to offer.

Greetings, Lenny
    Yeah, they don't but I would like a dark grey/red for the track color.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Posted By: altlennyI'll give it a shot
    Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

Posted By: gigacoasterfanThe colors don't remind me of a chaos snake. :P
    This ride isn't named after the snake, Lenny linked to the wikipedia page of the asteroid.
    ... but the colours aren't asteroid-y neither ... :P
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Custom mega coaster would be cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Posted By: altlenny
    Posted By: s4mumu

Europeans (I'm guessing you are from Europe) don't have much else Intamin inspiration. Look at all the heavily I305 inspirated rides which dominated NLE for quite some time. It's not a bad thing to get inspirated by the two best Intamin rides Europe has to offer.

Greetings, Lenny

I know, I was just kidding. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012

Posted By: gigacoasterfanYeah, they don't but I would like a dark grey/red for the track color.

I don't think I will change the colours before release which will be next reset (99% sure). I'm getting kinda tired of working on the coaster because I feel I have improved so much during the project that I can't bother to make this one better.

Does anyone want to get a sneak peak of the ride in its mostly finished form (really only minor tweaks are done here and there)?

I took a first shot at EGF and this will be a challenge, but I'll do it. I will however have a side project to satisfy my creativity.

Greetings, Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Posted By: altlennyDoes anyone want to get a sneak peak of the ride in its mostly finished form (really only minor tweaks are done here and there)?
    *raises hand*
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Sending the Track now, see the mail for further information. Thanks baadrix :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012

First attempt to recreate EGF, looks good as far as I'm concerned.

•  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

I think that the overbank on the middle of the picture needs to be more banked, but the rest looks very good ! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

I'm impressed. Looks great.
    It's hard to tell from one pic, but I'd say the same as s4mumu.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012 edited

Prepare for the release this reset!

In other exciting news. I got my first full EGF recreation done, but there are still a lot of little flaws. I expect to redo the whole thing at least once in Newton before I touch anything else in the recreation project. As far as the sub-project is concerned, I have an idea for an indoor inverted coaster :).

Greetings, Lenny

EDIT: Ride is now up!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

First of all, sorry for double post...

Secondly: epic wall of text and pictures incoming! Brace yourselves, you have been warned.

Well maybe you remember my mysterious post / announcement in another thread quite some time ago.

Posted By: altlennyI'm currently programming a FVD tool just like newton because of this.

Well, two weeks and ~2500 lines of code later I've come to a point at which I can show you guys some results so far. Most of my work has been put into the core computation engine and the exporter to the .nlelem file format, all of which is pretty much magic happening behind the whole program and therefore can't be presented as well as shiny pictures of graphs, transitions and user interfaces. So if you don't care about how this magic happens, feel free to scroll down to see shiny pictures of a pre-alpha user interface ;)

Okay now that 90% of you have scrolled down I appreciate the ones reading this part aswell. My fvd tool (I'm so bad at chosing names, maybe someone could help in that department) uses a numerical method to get a very good approximation of the path the coaster has to follow to produce the forces and roll values the user defines as input. Much like newton the force segments use a sample rate defining how often a new numerical calculation takes place (in the simulated world that is). The newton default value is 1000 Hz which means newton calculates the position and speed of the roller coaster one thousand times per second. In other words: if your coaster has a speed of 10m/s the program calculates a new position of the coaster every centimeter. I called those sampled positions nodes: a typical coaster will have between 50.000 and 500.000 nodes, each storing information about the coaster at that point (currently in my fvd tool these data are a position vector, a direction vector, a normal vector defining the roll value of the coaster, the speed of the coaster and some other variables). Lets assume every point uses 12 variables each needing 4 bytes of space: A big coaster will easily need 20 megabytes of data only for the nodes. Ever opened newton and watched how much space the process needs when opening a big project? Now change the sampling rate (under global variables) to 100.000 and watch how your RAM gets eaten alive. At this current state my program samples geometric sections every 10 centimeters but this value can easily be changed. Force sections are sampled in 1000 Hz for now but I'm aiming to make this a global variable too.

So what is my program able to do at this very moment. I'm able to construct geometric sections (straight and curved) with various radii, angles and lengths and with basic roll transitions. I'm looking to implement completely custom roll transitions in the next few days (I'll come back to transitions later). The exporter to .nlelem is able to export all sections, 95% are smooth without smoothing inside NoLimits and 99.9% are smooth after smoothing inside NoLimits. The problem here is the fact that heartlining does really funky things with your track at extreme angles (mainly speaking of vertical parts). I will come back to the bezier-export algorithm later, but so far the exporter is adequate.

Now that I've lost some words concerning the backend of the program (those parts of the program the user should not have to worry about), lets come to the cool things in life. Let me present to you the ugliest user interface known to mankind!

Let me first state the obvious. The big black area will show your fancy coaster (whether this will be a rendered coaster or a more abstract approach is not set in stone yet). This area does nothing at the moment (except for initialising OpenGL). The left area shows the values of your anchor node (which is basically your initial variables entered in newton) and every section you chose to implement. Adding new sections is as easy as right clicking into this area and... well adding your section. The yellow bar indicates that you have currently selected the straight section named StraightSec which has a heartlined length of 24 meters and the Roll function shown in the bottom. Hiding the graph is as easy as unchecking the box near the RollFunction entry (this will be more important while editing force sections with more than one function). Each function can consist of any desired number of transitions, each selectable directly in the graph plotting module. The currently selected transition gets a distinct color while the start and end of the transition is highlighted by a straight vertical black line.

Well, it seems my comment was 2115 characters too long, lets make it an epic triple post then! I'M REALLY SORRY!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

This is what you asked for

Now to the fun part where I really want to go through the roof. Currently I implemented cubic and quartic transitions. Cubic transitions are known in newton as Bernstein transitions. The second transition in this picture shows a cubic transition. Those can't have any parameters due to their nature. Quartic functions are more interesting: In newton you only know the quartic bump transition which I implemented in my program, too. But my program is also able to use more complex quartic transitions, for example the one shown in the picture. This one changes it's value to the opposite direction of your desired value first and then approaches the desired value. Compare this to a hybrid transition in newton, but far more sophisticated. It is also possible to overshoot your value before returning to the desired value using a quartic function. Look at I305's first drop and the first roll transition to get a feel why those transitions will really help making unique elements. In the future more complex transitions will follow and I plan on making every single transition (including the cubic transition) timewarpable for even further customization. Newton's limit really is the selection of the transitions and I really blame newton for making us a hard time designing interesting coasters. To make matters even more exciting I plan on having the user decide whether he wants to control the roll value of his section or the roll speed of his section (and letting the program show him the other function) and maybe even letting the user fluently switch between both options.

This time using a symmetric quartic transition and a cubic transition

There's still a lot of work to be done. I will irregularly update this thread showing improvements and changes to the program. Next time surely with a basic graphics view and/or with force sections implemented into the interface! If you have any suggestions on how to improve the current UI, please drop a comment.

Over and out,
    Lenny
    You programmed it in C++ right?

Call it FVD++

This is the most exciting development in NL in a long time. A suggestion could be to have fully customizable transition editor where you can select the number of transition nodes, and then save the transition itself for reuse later.