Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016

Speaking of computers, mine is being a complete pile of sh*t. I just upgraded to Windows 10, had to shut tons of things off because they're useless and/or bad, and now we think it's killing the router. That's why I'm on my Chromebook, which can't run NL2 ;O; In conclusion, I'm really pissed right now. That is all.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

You can degrade back to Windows 7 if you want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^^ I guess the the problem is Windows 10 and not your Computer. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2016 edited

Yeah I upgraded it to windows 10 and there was absolutely no problems for me or anyone else I know that did similar, you must've done something wrong to mess up your PC.
    I've never had any problems with running NL2 on Windows 10, I never had problems with Windows 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016 edited

Well, I know NL2 isn't part if it. In fact, that symptom of W10 shutting down the wifi is common, so the faster I fix it, the happier I'll be :p

Edit: problem fixed http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/after-upgrading-from-windows-81-to-windows-10-no/42b1852e-4faa-47a2-85ca-dc8e190c7c27?auth=1 this is how I fixed it!

Edit 2: computer said no thank you welp idk anymore

Edit 3: Driver updates were unsuccessful, so now we have to resort to updating the BIOS. And if that doesn't work, my computer is still in warranty, but I am still missing NL2 so badly ;o;
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

Can anyone recommend some free antivirus software? I have been using AVG but its getting intrusive and is deciding that most of my Steam library is a virus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

^I use Avira antivirus. It's pretty good, and stays out of the way for the most part. I would recommend it.
    Microsoft security essentials works great. If you have win 8 or 10 it has antivirus built in and works good.
    Intending to build my first PC, here's what I've got so far after extensive research and talking with some more experienced people:

Processor - Intel Core i7 6700 (base, not the K or T)
    Memory - 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 960 (4GB / SuperSC / ACX 2.0+ variant)
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3

SSD for OS / software - 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
    HDD for files - 3TB WD Blue 5400RPM
    Power - EVGA Supernova P2 650W

Case - arbitrary
    Peripherals - have keyboard, mouse, monitor

PCPartPicker Part List

Basically, I'm looking to have a balanced PC for CPU rendering, GPU rendering, and real-time simulation for under $1,200. Rhino, 3DS Max, V-Ray, Unreal Engine, NoLimits 2, and possibly some stuff in Lumion. I'd like to use a Z170 board and Skylake architecture so I have a little bit of future-proofing. How's it look?
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2016

I would choose a case fairly soon. You will need one with enough fan capacity and enough space for that ATX motherboard of yours. Another recommendation: go down to DDR3 ram and a lower generation CPU, possibly an i5 (they are just as good if you are getting a base i7). Then use the money you save to get a GTX 970. Just my thoughts, don't necessarily take them as gospel.
    Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I hang around waiting for the Pascal cards to be released and then pick up a 970 at a discounted price?
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2016

^Possibly. I don't know how much they will go down in price or when the pascal cards will even be released. I guess its a case of working out when you will buy the thing and seeing then if they are likely to release in the first place.
    What is the best screen-recording software you guys use? I'd like to record a tutorial on how to make those B&M loop connectors I showed the other day. My computer runs Windows 7.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016

^If you have a Nvidia graphics card, I highly recommend Shadowplay. It comes with GeForce Experience and it's insanely useful and powerful for recording gameplay. There's also an AMD alternative, but I'm unsure what it's called.
    Sorry for bringing this up.

But I want to get back to nl2 and blender/maya and unity 3D. But I need help to get a good computer. It's my first time buying a computer but I'm scared to pick wrong parts.

Is someone willing to make a part list on pcpartpicker with parts that I still can buy? If so thank you! Have been searching for a year now but always come the same coclusion. To start over again becouse I was and still am scared to f*ck it up and getting a bad computer rig (is rig really a word for it :P).

What I want it to be capabel of is (Making complex renders of really complicated scene's in blender/maya, a smooth experience when doing video editing)
    Overal, I want to do multi tasks and complex fast rendering with maya. Yes, I'm going over to maya. Sorry blender.

I am willing to pay something around 1000€. It is enough? Idk

I turn to you guys because I trust it the most ;D
    Hope to get into nl2 again soon.

Thanks again. And I miss to be here.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016

1000 Euros should be plenty when looking to build a rig like the one you would like. Here's something I through together in a hurry: Click me

Instead of the GPU listed, I found this one on Newegg and just adjusted the price to fit: Now click me

These prices might not be the same where you are currently located, however where I'm at the current price of everything sits around $1,000, or 890 Euros. This is just for the PC itself and doesn't include peripherals or an OS - an OS can be found pretty cheaply though if you know where to look..
    Thanks! I am so curious, 8gb ram or 16gb ram? Is 16gb really used when doing very complex things because I now have 1.2gb ram on my laptop and I can do pretty much already. Or im just not knowing how much i can do yet ;)
    RAM is cheap now, so for an extra 30-40 dollars I'd go for it. Many new games are moving to 16GB as the recommended amount. At the very least, you could start with 8GB and upgrade if you feel it's necessary. It's probably the easiest component to upgrade, as all you have to do is snap in the sticks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

Well since my desktop is completely dead until i get a new GPU and CPU, I've been using NL2 on my laptop (since november of 2015) which only has 1.86gbs of ram, 28gb harddrive, and intigrated graphics, this is why depumping a loop takes me 4 solid minutes ._.
    Got a beast coming home to me... It will steal all my money ... help :D

^^It has 16GB RAM.

^ 4 minutes is still fast for me. It took 20 minutes for me to debump a loop (the one that comes with nl2).
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016

Yea, I was running a Nvidia 970.. but I'm upgrading to either two 1080s, or one titan x .. or even three 1070s
    Lol.
    I have 16Gb of ram but I've upgraded my ram around 4 times since building this rig. Im now running 3300mhz ram and plan to add another 16Gb to my rig after adding in the graphics cards.. I'm also running 3 monitors, which I'm also replacing with 4k ultra wide monitors..
    I usuallydo a massive upgrade once every year to keep my system up to date..
    Decided to splash out on a decent computer after suffering with a laptop since the release of nl2

Specs:
    https://gyazo.com/8b6543b46696da4819a6096ccd7d1d12

Came to about £1100 in the end, which was actually £150 cheaper than self building it, will post an nl2 benchmark when it arrives in a few days.
    So I just got a new PC, and because I've used Macs all my life, I've never really had to deal with anti virus programs. I know that just googling "the best anti-virus program" isn't a great idea, so what do you all use? I'm not opposed to paying for a program.
    Malwarebytes and common sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016 edited

I use ESET Smart Security and I always disable the Flash Plugin and JavaScript by default in Browser and just activate them where it's needed.
    I got AVG security. Going to by the full version soon :P
    I know, its expensive...

Also some things about my new girlfriend!
    https://gyazo.com/4b849da7815e8998b49d6e083f5e2631
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016 edited

Ok guys, I need some guidance here. I'm looking to replace my outdated computer, however my problem is that my knowledge in this area is extremely limited.

I have found two options which are at the price range I'm looking for. They are quite similar, just with different cabinet and graphics card from what I can tell. Now, my question is: Is there any obvious "weak points" with these options? Obviously I'm not getting a super computer for this price, but I'm on somewhat of a budget here so I would prefer not to go much higher than this. However if there is something which is "absolutely worth" upgrading I might consider it.

Option 1
    Option 2

The webpage is in Norwegian, but the specification list should be easily understandable for everyone.

Thanks for helping a complete n00b! ;)
    I got my computer from komplett.se :D
    • CommentAuthorMaverick
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016

If anyone wants to know where I've been the last 5+ years...

My tablet/laptop hard drive was erased/replaced by HP tech support when my motherboard failed 5 years ago. So I only have fragments of my dozen+ WIP models and tracks. They never actually fixed the problem, so I couldn't even use the computer reliably. Then about 4 years ago, I purchased a house, so the idea to build a PC was put on hold. Then I needed to do significant repairs/maintenance to both my vehicles. So, a friend of mine from church gave me this Black Friday Special laptop they were having troubles with. I can probably get NL1 to run again. SketchUp is still pretty slow though. I'd love to get myself a proper PC so I can get back in the action. I've missed the notebooks full of sketches and equations.

Current machine:

Celeron 900 (2.2GHz x2)
    3 GB RAM
    Intel Mobile 4-Series internal graphics
    Win 7 64-bit

As you may notice, it is not exactly a powerhouse for 3D work.
    ^^^ I tried to see if one of those was better then the other but I dont know because im also still a n00b :D
    • CommentAuthordutchangel
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016

My Haswell Machine:

i3-4330 3.5Ghz Hyperthreaded dual-Core
    GigaByte Geforce GTX 750ti
    12Gb Kingston HyperX RAM
    64-bit Windows 10 (The choice I regret)

NL2 benchmark high settings:
    Kill me. Win 10 got curupted :(
    Hey my old friend bios... I miss you windows.
    Also my backups are gone. Thanks AVG for letting in viruses. Money spend on AVG - gone. Money spend on win 10 - gone.
    Please end my life so I don't have to suffer. Please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016 edited

Posted By: JL NoLimitsAlso my backups are gone

Ransomware? If that's the case, how / why did it had access to your backups? Or why don't you have access to your backups anymore if it wasn't ransomware?

Posted By: JL NoLimitsThanks AVG for letting in viruses.

"Anti virus" software promises more than it's actually able to do. It often can just identify known malware but seldom unkown. Don't trust your Antivirus. Just consider it as a second "eye" after your own care.

Posted By: JL NoLimitsMoney spend on AVG - gone

Posted By: JL NoLimitsMoney spend on win 10 - gone

You really cannot use the activation keys anymore? Are you sure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016

Posted By: JL NoLimits
    Also my backups are gone. Thanks AVG for letting in viruses. Money spend on AVG - gone.

Please invest on some good AV. AVG is terrible!
    The thing is. Ransomware got installed with the installation of AVG. Also I was going to buy a separate harddrive for my backups but its to late. Computer works again.

Also, my activation key was never given to me. Win 10 came with this computer so yeah. No activation key. Also windows 10 was free with this computer so I guess that's why.

Also, any good antivirus software?
    fun fact never pay for antivirus software, ive used the free windows defender my whole life and never had a virus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016

Posted By: element 115and never had a virus

Or you just didn't know it / still don't know it. That's the problem with (anti)viruses. :P
    Malwarebytes is a good antivirus/ anti malware program. Their anti exploit software works well too. It's only like 30 dollars a year for up to 3 machines.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017 edited

I recently graduated college, got a job, and moved away from home and I figured it was time to upgrade my setup a little so I got a new desk, some shelves for my speakers and mounted the monitors on the wall. I am happy with how it turned out, I just want to run the speaker wires through the wall so they will be hidden.

Looks really nice and clean. Pretty sure we've got the same draw units and table top (except I got mine in white), Ikea, right?
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

^Exactly! I've seen this combination a lot and I'm a big fan of it.
    ^^^ Only one thing it needs is to have the Mac not sitting on it and it would be perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017 edited

Hey Macs are great, especially in the laptop realm. Just very overpriced IMO.

You triple monitor guys are making me jealous and wanting an upgrade even though I don't need to. Lol

• CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

Haha yeah I just got that MacBook and I love it! Obviously I prefer my desktop but it's nice for when I don't want to sit at my desk.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

Lol I can't stand MacBooks. I have one for some reason though...