Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012 edited

s
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012

Supports are looking very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Another crazy guys who likes to do his own wooden supports ... ;)
    They look absolutely realistic (and sound) so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan

Has anyone actually ever finished a woody that they tried supporting the entire thing themselves?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

^Take a look at LeFLO's Grand Duc.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Could we possibly have some more shots of the trackwork?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Posted By: baadrixTake a look at LeFLO's Grand Duc

Actually, if I remember correctly, he said he gave the wood magic an overhaul. If that's the case, then it's kind of on the edge of handmade and not.
    • CommentAuthorrctthebest

Posted By: JAKoolActually, if I remember correctly, he said he gave the wood magic an overhaul. If that's the case, then it's kind of on the edge of handmade and not.

maybe you're confusing Grand Duc with the woody i'm making right now? i don't see any resemblance of wood magic in Grand-Duc, so very unlikely he did use wood-magic.

BirdNerd: good luck with supporting. the support-style seems like a B*tch to make.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^Ah, yes. My mistake. The supports look fantastic, Birdy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012 edited

Here are two pictures of the track just in case you were wondering about the trackwork.

Posted By: rctthebest
    Posted By: JAKoolActually, if I remember correctly, he said he gave the wood magic an overhaul. If that's the case, then it's kind of on the edge of handmade and not.

maybe you're confusing Grand Duc with the woody i'm making right now? i don't see any resemblance of wood magic in Grand-Duc, so very unlikely he did use wood-magic.

Not forgetting my 3D's ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012

^^ Did you use N² for the trackwork? =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: KingRCT3^^ Did you use N² for the trackwork? =)

Yes. In fact, I just used all curved and straight geometry sections.
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

The trackwork looks pretty simple, but that's how are rides made in this time period. And the supports looks really great, I hope you'll finish them ! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: BirdNerd
    Posted By: KingRCT3^^ Did you use N² for the trackwork? =)

Yes. In fact, I just used all curved and straight geometry sections.

Haha I knew it! I once made a ride using that methode, too. What a pain..! ;p
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012

What do you guys think is the most efficient way of creating custom wooden supports? I have tried using the snap at 0.25 meters, but the catwalks on the 45 degree turn come out really uneven. The only way to get them even is to use the smallest value, 0.01 meters, and I don't want to use a number that small!

So, is there any way that I could create this custom structure in 3DS max using a certain tool?
    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, and I will even mention your username in the ride's description if you have an answer!
    Posted By: BirdNerdWhat do you guys think is the most efficient way of creating custom wooden supports? I have tried using the snap at 0.25 meters, but the catwalks on the 45 degree turn come out really uneven. The only way to get them even is to use the smallest value, 0.01 meters, and I don't want to use a number that small!

So, is there any way that I could create this custom structure in 3DS max using a certain tool?
    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, and I will even mention your username in the ride's description if you have an answer!

Either ask Brett or try it on Sketchup. Nolimiters is currently making a topper track and the custom supports from what he explains are quite simple to duplicate.

Posted By: BirdNerdWhat do you guys think is the most efficient way of creating custom wooden supports? I have tried using the snap at 0.25 meters, but the catwalks on the 45 degree turn come out really uneven. The only way to get them even is to use the smallest value, 0.01 meters, and I don't want to use a number that small!

use 0.01, that's the only way i found working.
    are you sure you still want to continue this project? :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: rctthebest

use 0.01, that's the only way i found working.
    are you sure you still want to continue this project? :P

Yes, but it will take a very long time to finish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Why not disabling snap?

Posted By: BirdNerdYes, but it will take a very long time to finish!

that's why i asked you this:
    Posted By: rctthebestare you sure you still want to continue this project? :P

maybe Brett knows another way, but i doubt it.
    was i summoned? :P

i genuinly dont think there is any "easy" way of making complete from scratch wood supports. for straight sections like lifts and airtime. i made them in sections i did say 5 meters of supports then move it to one side then did another 5. and so on... this moves the other nodes out of the way which makes it easier to see what your doing as there will be ALOT of nodes.

you can see here ive made a section but the section before it is moved to the side :)
    Photobucket

as for turns... well... that's a "oh dear lord this is impossible" moment :P
    Photobucket

theres no "easy" way of doing it. its not as if its hard it just takes time. alot of it :P

other than that i suggest just editing wood magic. if you follow what ive done as a model or actual pictures you could probably edit wood magic enough to make it look alot better.

sorry i cant help much :P get back to me when your doing B&M's :P hahaha
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

If you're comfortable with 3ds Max then there's your quickest way of doing it. Regardless of whether you find some tool or special technique, it will be a ton less painful than doing it in the NL Editor. Especially since your coaster has so many straight sections, a lot of times you'll be able to copy/paste structures.

Either way, this is quite interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you can do of it:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012

I got a quick question. Shall I redo the layout, but make it more compact? Or shall I keep it the way it is and add banking to the existing turns?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012

I like it. I'd keep it. Those layouts aren't generally compact, anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012

Okay, this project is not dead, but I haven't been working on it that much because of tons of schoolwork! I redid the whole layout, and I used multiforce zones for the whole ride except for the brakeruns, station, and some hill transitions. I personally like this layout better, and I will even terraform the ride with a river, a hill, and possibly even a trough with a cool tunnel over it (similar to Leviathan's). As far as the ride goes, I would like some testers, so it's time to get excited! Here is a picture of the new layout.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

Old-School 1960's Style Wooden Coaster
    I used multiforce zones for the whole ride

These two things do not go together...

Wood coaster design in the '60s was all geometry (effectively - constant radius elements and straight track), so a force-based track is going to be... not quite right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

Posted By: BBSpeed26
    Old-School 1960's Style Wooden Coaster
    I used multiforce zones for the whole ride

These two things do not go together...

Wood coaster design in the '60s was all geometry (effectively - constant radius elements and straight track), so a force-based track is going to be... not quite right.

So shall I use all straight and curved geometry sections?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012 edited

Pretty much. No real transitions to speak of either. Also constant radius usually refers to "when viewed from an isometric top-down or side-on view". I'm not sure Newton is the best tool to use for those reasons, regardless of the segment type. Elementary + HSAK maybe, but it's a pretty steep learning curve if you're used to Newton. I might actually advocate handbuilding with .3ds guides to help you get your shapes.

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012

I'm sorry about the progress delay, but I have one question: does an old-school ride like this have to have an inclined station with no transport device?
    yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: gigacoasterfanyes

Thanks! I originally had a LIM transport device, but I changed that!
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

hi folks and friends, I'm new to forums so to say,but I've been following the site for a long while anyways.

@BirdNerd I'm working on a similiar kinda old wooden coaster project myself. My question is about your supports. are you planning making custom walkways around the track or will you just place them in from the auto support generator and make the rest, because that's what I was thinking about doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Welcome to the forums captfido87!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: captfido87hi folks and friends, I'm new to forums so to say,but I've been following the site for a long while anyways.

@BirdNerd I'm working on a similiar kinda old wooden coaster project myself. My question is about your supports. are you planning making custom walkways around the track or will you just place them in from the auto support generator and make the rest, because that's what I was thinking about doing.

Well, I will produce the catwalks (the walkways around the track) with the auto support generator, and then move every support node by hand! From there I will create the supports, and yes, it will take a LOONG time! I am STILL tweaking the layout a bit, so don't expect a huge update anytime soon.
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012

yea that's what i figured is the only way to get it done. but i agree that it definitely makes the ride look better with custom supports. good luck on yours BirdNerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012

Happy new year everybody! As part of the last day of 2012, I am happy to say that the progress of this coaster is going along nicely. I have about half the layout finished, and I also made a river that flows beneath the biggest drop of the ride. The supports that you see in the picture are NOT final, but they are rather woodmagic supports that will just be there for guidelines of the major support job that I have to do by hand!

the coaster itself is coming along quite nicely. can't wait to see it finished.

Perhaps it's just me but I don't feel white is the right color. Or maybe for that matter it's missing another color to go along with it. personally I think regular brown would more than suffice....but that's just me.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^I think the colors are temporary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013

Alright, who wants a final test run? The trackwork is done, but I still have to add supports.
    I'd willing to try it
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013

Does anybody want to test the FINAL layout? I am pretty satisfied with my countless days of work on this project, so I'm ready for testers!
    Yeah, I could test.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013

Good news everybody! I found a good method to make the custom wooden supports in a neat way! Here are the steps.

1: Make sure there are no supports already on the coaster.
    2: Open up the construction kit and support wizard.
    3: Set the spacing to 3 m. and select "complex".
    4: Uncheck everything below that in the same box.
    5: Save your ride and open it up in the editor.
    6: In the editor, just produce the catwalks with woodmagic.
    7: Use the prefabs as a spacing guide, they will be taken off later.
    8: WORK ,WORK, WORK!!!

Here are some pictures of what I mean...

• CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

that's a pretty neat method you found there. How far have you gotten on the supports?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

^I am only at the pullout of the first drop:(
    Hey, it's worth waiting for, though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013

Just to tell you all, I have officially used woodmagic, but I replaced ALL of the existing beams, deleted unnecessary nodes, and made it prettier. Building it with my own supports is very tedious in the NL editor, but I am still trying to figure out a way in 3DS Max. Anyway, here's the finished supports and track with my signature environment that I will be using on all of my rides from now on.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013

As far as I can tell by this picture everything looks fine to me. Nice environment, btw! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2013

I have ran into this problem today, but I'm not sure how to fix this. How do you get rid of the "NoLimits Coaster" wording across the cartexture? I have used the TGA file format and such, but I think there's something I'm missing here. BTW, this ride is a sequel to my "Sparhawk The Ride", just in case any of you were curious.

Consider applying a background colour to your car texture, it might be where you left it transparent?