Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012 edited

This is a quick project that I made while still familiarizing myself with newton. That being said shaping isn't spot on perfect..Its intended to be a mega-lite (that would obviously be made for a Sea World Park somewhere) of sorts but, in addition to increasing the height and length, I tightened up the drop and increased the angle of descent so the first drop isn't quite shaped like some of the current ones. So IMO its just as intense as the regular model. Also there are 9 spots of weightlessness.

As you can see in this photo the track does go below the ground a little which does mean there will be some themeing (however minimal). I might add a custom station to the mix, but the plan was to have a subterranean dive with a rock/cave like tunnel similar to this with the fog and all. This will be the projects biggest challenge so I'll wait till its time to start on that to get some tips and such.

Now onto more of the track

I've actually been working on this for a couple of days hence why I have quite a bit done. I'm going to show more screenshots of the supports as I payed more detail to them (I always do custom supports but I usually just slap on basic structures that are neither stylistically correct or adequate.)

No clue why whenever I take screenshots in the sim they always look so thin. The color isn't finalized, but I would like to keep a similar color to kind of have a similar color scheme as the other Steel Eel in San Antonio.

Here are the lift supports and they are very similar to the supporting used in other mega-lites. The difference comes from the fact that, as stated earlier, my creation has a tighter pull out and a steeper drop whereas mega-lites like these have a much more circular drop.

I put a lot of effort into making sure these supports are accurate and look similar to supports used on real megalites. Here is another example.

Supports are maybe 75% done. I'm not done supporting the first turn and I purposely skipped supporting the subterranean section because I think I should get everything as far as landscaping goes set before I add those supports (speaking of landscaping do you think I should add some water somewhere. Not over the whole ride, but maybe to one side or something?). I do plan on adding flanges, but I'm not sure if I will do them myself or have the CK auto generate them. If you would like different views of support or track just let me know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorImagine
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012

I don't like the yellow. Keep it 2 kinds of blue, or use some sort of blue-green color.
    Your shaping looks more like a normal mega rather than a mega-lite. I like that you're paying attention to the supports but it doesn't have to be the exact same thing as another coaster, just do what works while keeping in mind the style you want.
    • CommentAuthorrctthebest

make the support-columns below the track one size bigger.
    Yes, i like it. And i like the colours. I think the bend to the right, out on its own, will be perfect for your tunnel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I like the idea of another Steel Eel and the layout seems cool!

But you know that the two supports you surrounded aren't "natural"? I mean, they're like that because of the path next to it. On Piraten, they're sloped. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012 edited

Posted By: ImagineI don't like the yellow. Keep it 2 kinds of blue, or use some sort of blue-green color.

The colors aren't really final just yet I will experiment more with them and show you all for some opinions.

Posted By: A.S.CoastersYour shaping looks more like a normal mega rather than a mega-lite.

Yea the shaping is a little off I see what you mean. But part of the shaping is intentional as I made the pullout tighter with a steeper drop so it looks more "thin".

Posted By: A.S.CoastersI like that you're paying attention to the supports but it doesn't have to be the exact same thing as another coaster, just do what works while keeping in mind the style you want.

Thanks for the critique! I know it doesn't have to be the same and not all the supports are exactly like in other mega-lites (for example the first air-hill I sort of improvised vs. really examining real supports), but since this is kind of an altered version of the mega-lite model I just wanted to keep most of them as similar as possible.

Posted By: rctthebestmake the support-columns below the track one size bigger.

I'll play around with support sizes as well. I don't want them to look too fat though, but I'll play around with them an show pictures. Thanks for the tip!

Posted By: The_ArchitectYes, i like it. And i like the colours.

Thanks :) ! I kind of liked the colors too, but they aren't final I'll be playing around with them a little.

Posted By: The_ArchitectI think the bend to the right, out on its own, will be perfect for your tunnel.

Yea I think so too. This part will be a little tough though.

Posted By: KingRCT3I like the idea of another Steel Eel and the layout seems cool!

But you know that the two supports you surrounded aren't "natural"? I mean, they're like thatbecause of the path next to it. On Piraten,they're sloped. ;)

Thanks for the feedback! And you know what you're right lol. I did examine both piraten and Kawasemi's supports to get some accurate stuff, but I found more ariel views on Kawasemi so a lot more of the supports are based on Kawasemi's lol. Maybe I'll change it but I kind of like the way they are right now. Would adding a a path next to it help lol ;) ?

UPDATE 2:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I didnt show that many pictures of the tracks features so heres a quick one. It's a wave turn inspired by outlaw run but tamed down a bit. Consistent banking though the element but airtime is achieved at the peak of it.

And here are more views of the ride.

Next update will be when I finish supports and begin on the subterranean cave. :) Hope ya'll enjoy **EDIT** I kept wondering why this thread never showed up on NLE bottom page and it was because I had this under "contests" lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorImagine

A stengel dive is different than a newtony banked hill. You have a newtony banked hill. Make sure the hill still goes up and not out to prevent huge -gs
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

He never said it was a stengel dive...

Could we see some more closeups of the ride? Some of the transitions look a bit funky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012 edited

As far as I can tell the track isn't really perfect, but that's the way to learn how to use Newton² - just make a coaster. I like the colours and the detail of your supports (and the layout), though. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012

Posted By: ImagineA stengel dive is different than a newtony banked hill. You have a newtony banked hill. Make sure the hill still goes up and not out to prevent huge -gs

Posted By: LJELLIS12It's a wave turn inspired by outlaw run but tamed down a bit.

...... Dont know where you got stengel dive from.

Posted By: bigjoe97Could we see some more closeups of the ride? Some of the transitions look a bit funky.

Sure thing: any specific spots? I would love for some feedback on how to get better transitioning and shaping down-packed with newton for future reference!

Posted By: baadrixAs far as I can tell the track isn't really perfect, but that's the way to learn how to use Newton² - just make a coaster. I like the colours and the detail of your supports (and the layout), though. :)

Posted By: LJELLIS12familiarizing myself with newton. That being said shaping isn't spot on perfect..

Yea haha I would appreciate any tips you guys have on improving shaping or transitioning for a future creation. And thanks for the feedback! :) More pictures coming soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012

Update 3:

All supports except for the track that will be made around the cave have been completed. I think some footer rotation is in order but I have no idea how to do that.

Based off supporting style for the first curve in Piraten..

Now for the hardest part. The subterranean cave!!

Tunnels have always been hard for me. Do you think I should make it a full one or more of a rocky trench of sorts? How should I go about doing this (simplest terms please)
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

It seems like the angle of your track connectors is a bit off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorImagine

A tunnel is usually pretty easy. Here's what I usually do:
    1. Add a tunnel to the track segments you want underground.
    2. Import coaster into construction kit
    3. Export coaster as 3ds file with tunnel
    4. Import to 3d program
    5. Make a box
    6. Change the vertices a little bit to make the top look like terraformed land
    7. Use the tunnel to cut a hole into the box, but keeping the tunnel. (What this tool is called varies with the program.)
    8. Combine everything except track
    9. Delete track
    10. Export as 3ds and import to nl and terraform around the box.

If that's just too confusing, then I'd say just terraform a trench, but a IMO tunnel would be so much cooler.
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Posted By: LJELLIS12I think some footer rotation is in order but I have no idea how to do that.

Double-click on it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: bigjoe97It seems like the angle of your track connectors is a bit off.

I agree. I'd have suggested to use the AutoSupportGenerator in order to have proper connector, but it might be a bit too late. Or it will be a huge mess of support...
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Doesn't AutoSupportGenerator just do wooden supports? Or is there a way to do steel supports with them? (especially Intamin connectors. Those are a pain)

KingRCT3 is probably talking about this Auto Support Generator, not WoodMagic. (Scroll a little bit further down.)

•  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

Just tried it. It won't open on my computer. As soon as the window opens, it says it has stopped working and closes. Anybody know what is going on?
    Edit: Never mind. I was just doing it wrong
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Posted By: KingRCT3I'd have suggested to use the AutoSupportGenerator in order to have proper connector

It takes more time to do it yourself, but I find that it's much more useful when you do the connectors manually, since the ASG doesn't use track nodes in its connectors and it makes them all 1m long, while if you do it manually you can vary the length as needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012 edited

Posted By: bigjoe97
    Posted By: KingRCT3I'd have suggested to use the AutoSupportGenerator in order to have proper connector

It takes more time to do it yourself, but I find that it's much more useful when you do the connectors manually, since the ASG doesn't use track nodes in its connectors and it makes them all 1m long, while if you do it manually you can vary the length as needed.

I am sorry, Never get finished that tool, but NolimitsStudio will include an improved support editor xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

^What!? That was also your tool? I didn't know that ... well, I feel like a "Thank you very much!" is appropiate here. That tool saved a lot of work for me. ;)

Posted By: bigjoe97it makes them all 1m long, while if you do it manually you can vary the length as needed.
    But they aren't lined up correctly most of the time if you do them manually (which isn't bad for most coaster styles, but especially for hyper coasters (NL style!) and Eurofighters it comes in very handy). And the length of the connector tubes can still be adjusted afterwards. :)

@LJELLIS: Supports look great so far, I'd just try to line up the connectors better, they look kinda weird atm.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012

It's possible to align them correctly even while doing them manually, it just takes a bit of effort. I've found this article has a lot of tips on how to align connectors properly, and on supports in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012

This project is not dead I just have been caught up in school work. Now thats schools over for christmas time to get back to some work :P

Update 4 :

Started 3ds work on this tunnel/ cave thing.

The three pictures above are the staring construction process of this tunnel thing. I have raised this land but as you can see in these pictures the terrain is really boxy. I want it to look like terraformed land not a box how do i go about doing that? I want it to look like what nolmiiters did (no copyright intended this is nolimiters work)

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012

Make the grond in NL, open in CK export the tunnels and ground, open in Sketchup, etc.;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012 edited

Posted By: nolimitersMake the grond in NL, open in CK export the tunnels and ground, open in Sketchup, etc.;)

Ooooh that makes sense! Thanks so much :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012

Sorry for double post but I ran into a problem

Nolimiters's method got me the result I wanted but when I try to intersect faces to make the cutout its makes the shapes on the land, but I cant cut it out. As if the shape hasnt really been formed on the land. Its hard to explain to anyone who doesnt have sketchup, but sketchup experts (nolimiters ?) could you help me out with this?
    Right click the terrain, press "explode". It may lag a lot, but it turns a component into usable faces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: gigacoasterfanRight click the terrain, press "explode". It may lag a lot, but it turns a component into usable faces.

Ohhh ok thanks!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Kaboom!