Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2016

^This post got the gist of the underlying problem. It's not a bug, it's an inherent problem of numerically integrating differential equations and not a bug in the program itself.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016

I'm having an issue with FVD where the G's pulled in NL2 are higher than the G's pulled in FVD, and it's becoming a problem because the track is designed with acceptable G's and when the track is exported into NL2, the G's are no longer acceptable.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016 edited

It sounds like you have to adjust the friction value in NL2. This process is a lot of trial and error. Another consideration is train length. Maybe your FVD++ Gs have to be weaker so that the extremes of the train have acceptable forces. I'm an airtime fan and like how a double dip gives air, so it's tempting to do a -2G double dip in my coasters to get that insane Skyrush air. However, I'll never do that because if I have a long Intamin or B&M train like I would, the air in the back car will be more like -3G.

I have a style question: when do you better users use lateral Gs? I often click the green graph and set it to dynamic without looking at it again, but I definitely feel like some lateral Gs could be good at some places.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016

^
    I also used to ignore the green graph until recently. Mainly because the last time riding an actual coaster was eons ago. Hence i have no experience on how laterals are used in the real world ;).

On my last layout i used laterals on the first drop and some curves / helices based on my ideas of what i would like to feel during the ride. I started simple by adding some positive laterals (in fvd++) on left turns so that your head is pushed outwards for example. Or think of a curved first drop (to the right) which starts with negative laterals that change to the opposite and back to zero at the bottom. I have done something similar on a helix with some constant sections added in between the transitions. Should add some fun and unexpected accelerations for the audience.
    On the plus side using laterals helped me to get the exact layout i had in my mind.

And for the numbers...i used laterals up to 0,3g with really gentle transitions. I think this is still pretty mellow but then again i didn't want to exaggerate...

So... i would be too interested in some numbers you guys use on different styles.

Daniel :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016

^^So far I like to use the lateral graph on CCI coasters (such as the helix on The Legend) and just wooden coasters in general along with Arrow coasters. I also think it would be alright to use the lateral graph on Wild Mouses.
    FVD++ GUI Help

I recently downloaded FVD++ to improve my projects on NL2, but I seem to have a problem with the interface. The text/textboxes come up too small and block the full size of the text which makes it unreadable. Also, the parameters bar on the bottom (with position, roll, yaw, etc.) is cut off so that the adjustment arrows wont appear. I've tried changing the size of the window, re-downloading the program and all that, but I still have the same issue. I can post a screenshot if that helps, but I find it highly improbable that I am the only one to experience this problem. Any help/info is appreciated.

I'm running it on a Yoga 900 if that helps any.
    • CommentAuthorrobdcx
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2017

Are you sure it's a problem with FVD++ though? It sounds more to me like maybe your font size settings in Windows are set for large text in your drop-down menus. I recently changed mine momentarily and noticed it affected FVD much more than other programs. I'd start with that.
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017 edited

Hey everyone!
    I have been working on B&M Hyper for a while and I have been trying to figure out for quite a while now how to make a hammerhead turn like Mako or Silver Star has. For some reason I have no trouble making a symmetrical hammerhead like on Nitro.

My problem is that whatever I do, the exit either crosses the incoming track or it's too far away from the entry - though my goal is to have the exit parrellel to the entry.
    This what I have so far:

(notice how the exit crosses the track)

What my goal is:
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017

First, lower the roll value at the top of the overbank.
    Second, lower the vertical g's at the top of the overbank.
    With that I think you should be closer.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2017

You might be interested in some of the discussions in the Force Vector Design Thread: http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5050&page=1#Item_0. I feel like we made that one to discuss the style aspects of FVD, anyway.

My comment about your turn is that, tempting as it is to design this way, short flat sections of roll speed before continuing the same direction as before probably aren't what you want. You have that N shape, a flat section, and then a symmetric quartic transition. Either that flat section should be longer,* or you should try to drag out that third cubic transition so that it goes into the down part of the final symmetric quartic transition.

*I try to keep my flat sections between roll speed inflection points to at least a second. This often feels too short. Your tracks, however, will be way smoother once you get out of the habit of using close symmetric quadratic transitions and start using cubic or quintic transitions to avoid inflection points.
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2017

Thanks to both of you I got it working. I just had to decrease the roll duration and the Gs on the exit to get that really straight exit. Oh and I actually increased the Gs on the top of the overbank so it comes around quicker ;)
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2017

I'd suggest trying it again without increasing the Gs at the top. From a few other discussions about hammerhead turnarounds, the Gs decrease at the top, not increase. Your curve might look like B&M, but it won't ride like B&M (though I've not ridden Mako or Silver Star).
    • CommentAuthorForced
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2017 edited

g's are fairly solid on top of Silver Star's hammerhead (even though they are not spectacular). So I think he'll be allright.
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017

I also had my concerns with increasing the Gs at the top, but I compared the resulted pacing in NL2 with both Silver Star and Mako and it looks pretty accurate. I was surprised when I saw how quick Silver Star and Mako smash through that hammerhead.