Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

What I want to know is why it's manditory to put in rating... when people like myself know NOTHING about building technique, and etc...?

I just want to be able to download and ride. All this rating stuff is for the more "professional/artistic" amoung us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010

Because you need to give the uploader credit to his/her ride. Downloading and not rating is just totally blowing them off, and is like telling them "I don't care about your ride". You need to tell them how to improve upon their ride.
    That's all great... but then again... what about someone like myself who know's not one bit about all that sorta stuff and just enjoys "riding" the coasters? I mean, I give credit by commenting... but rating on something I have no clue about? That's just plain out lying if I rate something without the knowledge to back that up.

If you ask me, I think this current form of rating system needs to be moved to an optional state, and just having the # of downloads be what makes one coaster go to the top of the list.

This is all just cause I have no idea about all this stuff on the rating system, and I don't really have the time to spend the months or years it would take to gain the experience u guys/galls have in this arena.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Your rating doesn't have to be technical or even knowledgeable. If you can assign ratings based on what you thought when you rode the coaster, and explain what you liked or did not like about just riding the coaster, that's all we're asking for. To hyper-simplify things, for BT - Was the coaster smooth? Did the supports look sufficient to hold the thing up? A - Is it fun? O - Have you ever seen anything like it? Done. If you can take the 5 minutes it takes to answer those three questions for the rides you download, you're doing as well as we could hope for. You don't need to comment on things you don't have the experience to understand in order to rate a ride. We just want you to give the designer some feedback; at least let them know that you did (or did not) like about their ride. If/when you upload coasters, you'll appreciate the system too.
    • CommentAuthormgizozlodu

And another to make note of is that there are quite a few of those "professional/artistic" folks who just throw random crap out there and have no more knowledge than you so don't worry about not knowing what to say just say it.
    • CommentAuthorOnjin

O t O -

When I started out I joined CoasterSims.com and you had to rate at least 30% of what you downloaded. I had no clue at first. But what I rated on was is this ride fun?, does it look good?, etc. I rated coasters based on real rides I've been on and compared them. Yes, many rates were very poor. But you gotta start somewhere. You don't have to leave a novel for a rate, but you don't want to leave one liners either. Start small. 4 sentences for each tech field, T, A and O. Then 2 to 3 sentences for a followup. Rate is done. Easy, yes? Takes 5 minutes.
    The thing is, I got my coaster simulations due to my incredible fear of these things in real life... (well, anything more than S:UF @ SFoG which is incredibly tame compared to say... SM @ SFoG or the plethra of other intemidating rides... call me a wimp, but I'm just one of those coaster phobes)

So I don't really know if it's "fun" or has good BT, but then I guess I can tell beauty and origenality... but then I don't even know how to tell stuff like pumping and all this other stuff people talk about and yet seem so ... like a non-existant thing or something. Not calling them liers, but so far I haven't seen people complain about rides that do it IRL (SFoG again, but the D. Mine Train is one that does have it to some degree or so I've heard, wtf is pumping anyway? I've heard it's when the ratius/diameter changes between 2 elements... which is um... every ride I know of? Look at Batman: THE RIDE at SFoG... a ton of what looks like that sorta thing, to my eyes)
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited

Posted By: Outside the OctavesThe thing is, I got my coaster simulations due to my incredible fear of these things in real life... (well, anything more than S:UF @ SFoG which is incredibly tame compared to say... SM @ SFoG or the plethra of other intemidating rides... call me a wimp, but I'm just one of those coaster phobes)

So I don't really know if it's "fun" or has good BT, but then I guess I can tell beauty and origenality... but then I don't even know how to tell stuff like pumping and all this other stuff people talk about and yet seem so ... like a non-existant thing or something. Not calling them liers, but so far I haven't seen people complain about rides that do it IRL (SFoG again, but the D. Mine Train is one that does have it to some degree or so I've heard, wtf is pumping anyway? I've heard it's when the ratius/diameter changes between 2 elements... which is um... every ride I know of? Look at Batman: THE RIDE at SFoG... a ton of what looks like that sorta thing, to my eyes)

You should try riding some of the bigger stuff. When I was just starting out as a coaster junkie, I wouldn't even go anywhere near the line entrance. The first real thrill ride I rode on was GhostRider at Knotts Berry Farm. Anyone who has ridden GhostRider knows it's not a beginners ride by far. It's a completely insane beast of a ride that (safely) thrashes riders about.

It took me a couple seasons before I was actually comfortable riding coasters, but once the comfort levels went up, I found myself not even hesitating to get onto rides. I enjoy them thoroughly, and know it's impossible for ride restraints to let go of you, especially with modern rides.

A good way to start is to go onto something that's tame, but will get your comfort levels up, like Georgia Scorcher. Standups, for the most part, can be pretty tame, and have smooth transitions. Riddlers Revenge does, and judging from other standup POV's, they're around the same.

BTW, "pumping" is a sudden change of radius, either causing the force to spike up suddenly for a very short moment of time, or to spike down suddenly. They are really noticeable from the back car. Real rides don't really have pumps. They might have small little bumps here and there, and i know some rides have small kinks in the middle of their zero-g-rolls, but for the most part, all rides are smooth.

Pumping also tends to occur at the verticies, rather than mid segment, but it can occur in the middle of the segment if it's built right.. err, wrong.. ;)

Again, the easiest way to see pumping or banking jerks is to ride in the back car. But, you also can't mistake a pump for the lack of a lead-in or lead-out. Lead-ins/outs are in modern coaster design. They allow the force to ease in/out, rather than spike suddenly and cause injury. A lot of older ride styles will lack these, as well as the heartline, such as woodies, older corkscrew style coasters, ect. ect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited

Many real rides have "pumps." If you want examples I can give examples. The difference is those "pumps" are intentional and done as a part of very high quality shaping, whereas those you see in NL are accidental byproducts of not being able to control curves and often being lazy. Sometimes they look similar to real "pumps," but they almost never are the same and that distinction is very important.

Yes people will rate down for them in NL even if they're intentional, and no people generally don't seem to notice them in real life, but I will still include them in my tracks where appropriate because I know it's realistic. I fully expect to be rated down for things like that and other details 99% of people don't understand, and it sucks, but I get over it. It makes the difference between someone who acts like they know what they're doing and fakes it, and someone who really does go indepth to see the real details and work to emulate them in their own designs. Thus, I say it's worth it, even if I'm the only one who will know what details were included in a track, and even if I get rated down by those who don't understand them.

But yeah Outside the Octaves, I think you're looking too hard into things. People don't know much about singing or dancing, but they form conclusions about who their favorite singers and dancers are on the respective television shows. Do the same here...if you don't know, write something down based on what you do understand. Tell the person what you like or don't like about the track. Sometimes an "outsider's" point of view brings up ideas that those who know more don't think of.
    • CommentAuthorbader

Posted By: Outside the OctavesThe thing is, I got my coaster simulations due to my incredible fear of these things in real life... (well, anything more than S:UF @ SFoG which is incredibly tame compared to say... SM @ SFoG or the plethra of other intemidating rides... call me a wimp, but I'm just one of those coaster phobes)

:) The fact that you bought NL and know what SM @ SFoG stands for, then that means you enjoy coasters and have "enough" knowledge to rate!

Guess you’re just a little lazy… ;) Once you start rating the downloaded coasters, you’ll get used to it and appreciate the system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEd Boxer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited

Outside the Octaves (btw - you a singer? instrumentalist?)

On No-Limits Exchange, your first ratings submitted are reviewed and then either posted or rejected based on the content (see the Ratings Guide in the FAQ). As long as you express yourself clearly and write more than a few short sentences you should be OK.

Instrumentalist by hobby, I am working on learning music via the guitar and sometimes the keyboard (theory learning only on the keys).

Yea will watch the language.

Well, I do ride some of the "bigger stuff" so to speak, such as Batman: the ride and Superman: ultimate flight at SFoG when I do get the chance to go. I just have a thing with falling more than anything else, which is the major part of my "coaster phobia". I actually know about how safe the rides are, it has nothing to do with safty. You are basicly more likely to be struck by lighting on the way to and from the park than you are to be hurt or killed by any ride... as long as you, your parents (for the younger ones), and/or the ride attendants/operaters know basic shit like min./max. hight and what not... I mean come on... I remimber that kid that got hurt on that centrifuge ride at disney because he was too short for Mission Space.... Dumb*** ride ops and parents if u ask me.

As for the rides I do ride... awsome stuff. But I do remimber being completly paniced while in line and saying shit like if I get sick or what not, "head are going to roll, when I get better" lol. But now I will ride either of those coasters, and the delonigah(sp?) mine train... lol, not much to that one, but hey... fun to let loose and go nuts and freak your friends out on such a "tame" ride (that thing does bang u up a little).
    Ah, cool. BTW, Xpress is there a list of the mods and admins yet?

And the reason why I 'cussed was cause I was counting on a site filter, lmao. Guess you guys still have some stuff to work on. When did this place get going n e ways?

And also, what happened to CS? Not that I care too much about that site's forums... it did have a nice look and a fast set of servers. (don't know about this one yet, seems all the coasters here so far need the 1.6 or higher, oi.

(oops, I see where I went wrong again with the language now, lol... dumb***, yikes... I have Red Foreman of That 70's show to thank for that one, lol)
    Posted By: Outside the OctavesAh, cool. BTW, Xpress is there a list of the mods and admins yet?

No list of staff at the moment, but I run and administer this website along with EdBoxer, BBSpeed26 and bader who help keep the forum clean and look after the visitors.

Posted By: Outside the OctavesGuess you guys still have some stuff to work on. When did this place get going n e ways?

We are pushing out a new site upgrade on the 1st of February which will bring a lot of new features to the website (more on that later). I started the website during August of 2009.

Posted By: Outside the Octavesit did have a nice look and a fast set of servers.

That is one of things we shall be changing, the forum will match the main website.

If you have any queries don't hesitate to leave a message.

Regards,
    -Mathew
    Cool. Nice to see nice people on a coaster sims site again. :). btw, what happened to CS anyways? Money problems?
    No idea, they just fell off the face of the Earth it seems.
    What gets me here is, if you go to the url, it has a site holder there... "coastersims.com IS DEAD"

So... I wonder why they are holding the page? I mean, if it's dead why not let it go? heh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010

Someone bought the domain, and put that up lol.
    The heck? lol. I wonder if they plan on doing anything with it? if not, the wtf... meh oh well, we got nl exchange... but what about the other sims?
    Xpress do you have an AIM/YAHOO/MSN/ASTRA account, and do you mind shareing your handel? if you feel shy about posting it on here for posterity, u can IM me at AIM: sixflagsgoer, Yahoo: i_cant_i_can, MSN Outside_Octaves@live.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorXpress
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

MSN me: XpressCS@yahoo.com
    • CommentAuthorbader
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

Outside the Octaves, you can always use the whisper system if you want to post something to a specific member..
    • CommentAuthormrfeeny
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

Just to let you know, My recreation of the Cedar Creek Mine Ride just made the top 10. I think it is a good recreation and i was pretty happy with it but i don't think that it is a top ten coaster. By all means feel free to leave it up there :) (hint hint) lol. but i just wanted to let you know.
    My my, this is a dead thread. But I thought I would bump this instead of creating a new one:

https://nolimits-exchange.com/coaster/nl2-project-redline/7526#51558

How's that comment and rating, am I being too harsh or not harsh enough? I always find myself debating this very fact on other sites related to other things...same here as always heh.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014 edited

If its well explained and documented, its not harsh. Harsh is just when you are being a jerk for no reason. Constructive criticism thats well worded...thats exactly what we want. Helps improve the overall quality of rides being produced and thats a win for everyone.

My ratings tend to end up being massive novels, but full of information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014

As one of the people capable of judging and deleting ratings for being spammy or... really whatever reason we feel like warrants it, my formal opinion after reading the linked rate is this:

If this is how you rate rides, please rate more rides!

Thank you Speed. Man, it's been so long since I spent time in the world of coasters and theme parks. Dang, weren't you and Real around with us back on Dan's site? (Danimation.com for RCT) Didn't think I'd see much of anyone from those days on here still outside the people who work on NL. Great to see ya.

And thanks for that. That took a few hours of research, and I still failed to remember stuff like E-Stop testing lol. I guess that's how a novelist feels after release of their book? Definitely will be rating the rest of what's in my download log after all this time.