Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013 edited

Introducing "Roar". A B&M giga coaster with a jungle/tiger theme that is also a record breaker for the most consecutive hills peaking at over 200 feet (4 total). I checked and Steel Dragon 2000 only has one other hill over 200 feet. I built this is newton. Usually I do walkthrough step by step projects because I'm still not fully versed in the program, but I decided to see what I could do on own with this. That being said shaping probably isn't perfect, but I did try to get the essence of the b&m airtime hill with appropriate negative forces. Supporting is based on Leviathan and I feel like while supporting isnt perfect I payed enough attention to detail for it to be accurate and passable. I did a little terraforming as you can probably see some supports either go below or above others. I'm not a pro at terraforming either. I have yet to add trees or anything but plan to do so. The layout differs from Leviathan in that (1) its a little shorter and (2) it focuses more on dominating height throughout the whole ride (where Leviathan has one or two large hills with small hills focusing on speed). I did include two speed hills though. Here are some stats for you:

[Height]: 308 feet
    [Angle of drop]: 81 degrees
    [Max Speed]: 92 mph
    [Max Vertical G Force]: 4.5 g (some of you may think that's too high but remember Leviathan has a 4.5 g pull-out at the bottom of the first hill as well)
    [Track Length]: 5,037 feet

I really need help with a color scheme though a lot of you have helped in the uber idea thread but I think it would be better to collect those thoughts and suggestions in this thread.

Also element you might notice is the wraparound curve after the 220 ft air hill. Its banked at 123 degrees so even thogh an inclined loop is banked 45 degrees from a regular loop could this count as one or just a highly banked turn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013

You may want to know that a coaster named "Roar" was uploaded yesterday, so I hope you weren't going to upload this one soon.

Your trackwork and your supports look pretty amazing so far (as far as I can tell by all pictures I've already seen), however I notice you have a flat brake run, B&M usually has a sloped one. I also spot some transport section, I don't really like them as they have a weird behaviour in e-stop (they do nothing, neither braking nor transporting); it's your choice, though. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: baadrixYou may want to know that a coaster named"Roar"was uploaded yesterday, so I hope you weren't going to upload this one soon.

Lol I did notice that! I hadn't planned on uploading it yet as I still have more to do.

Posted By: baadrixYour trackwork and your supports look pretty amazing so far (as far as I can tell by all pictures I've already seen)

Thanks! I'll be posting more shots from the simulator soon!

Posted By: baadrixI notice you have a flat brake run, B&M usually has a sloped one. I also spot some transport section, I don't really like them as they have a weird behaviour in e-stop (they do nothing, neither braking nor transporting)

I have a sloped brake run as well ;). I just placed several more flat brakes afterwards (justfor estop ironically enough considering what you just told me). To be honest I'm not too familair with estop what is it lol?
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga

Emergency stopping... In case a train is stranded on the track, or on the approach to the station. It allows you to run more than one train at a time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: DanKrugaon the approach to the station. It allows you to run

How should I test that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Posted By: DanKrugaIt allows you to run more than one train at a time.
    That would be the block system. :)

You can do the e-stop test by pressing F12. Now you can check if the train gets to the next brake or the station without stalling or crashing into another train. At your ride this shouldn't be a problem except for the transport sections (see above). Try out different scenarios to cover most/all possible scenarios that could happen. :)
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga

Your right... although I always looked at them in the same light when building in my mind...

Snow head from 2 hours of shoveling... makes you forget your nerd skills...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: baadrix
    Posted By: DanKrugaIt allows you to run more than one train at a time.
    That would be the block system. :)

You can do the e-stop test by pressing F12. Now you can check if the train gets to the next brake or the station without stalling or crashing into another train. At your ride this shouldn't be a problem except for the transport sections (see above). Try out different scenarios to cover most/all possible scenarios that could happen. :)

Yea I didn't think this would be an issue with mine but I will check.
    I'm really liking the layout! Looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: Luisvaldez989I'm really liking the layout! Looks great!

•  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013 edited

Have you figured out a color scheme yet? It looks good by the way.
    Also do you think we could get a shot from over top of the coaster so we can see the layout better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

Posted By: m_haugh16Have you figured out a color scheme yet? It looks good by the way.
    Also do you think we could get a shot from over top of the coaster so we can see the layout better?

No I haven't yet I will post some pictures with color schemes. And thanks! I tried the orange with black supports and I didn't really like it. I dont know why but I felt like my original color scheme captures that jungle / tiger enviroment. But I'll see what some other people think.

And sure:

Had to zoom all the way up to get that haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I think the original colours would be nicer if you played with them more. it looks like you just chose the pre-determined mixes that No Limits provide. Try playing around and making them less saturated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorImagine

Posted By: UncleArlyI think the original colours would be nicer if you played with them more. it looks like you just chose the pre-determined mixes that No Limits provide. Try playing around and making them less saturated.

...He hasn't shown the colors yet. That's the editor...
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

He did in the Uber Idea thread...

They were green and blue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013

So here is the first simulator shot. I really wanted to wait for these, buuuut I need help with colors so we'll see. I changed it a little and I actually like this color scheme a lot sticking to that green its not so bright and out there like black and orange. Also you get a peak of Roar going through this headchopper into the "inclined loop" of sorts (at 80+ mph the pass-under seems so close when you ride it but it passes tunnel test very clearly) Excuse the poor picture quality ;)

Also would anyone like to make a cartexture for me? I'm really not good at those
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I definitely prefer the blue that you've changed it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: UncleArlyI definitely prefer the blue that you've changed it too!

Thanks! Glad ya like it :)
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013

Where do I know that color scheme from?
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

•  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: TheBeatlesWhere do I know that color scheme from?

You no like? :( lol
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I'll try a cartexture! I'll post it later. Also, if you wanna send me a copy of the track, I might be able to mess with the colors and see if you like them! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: JAKoolI'll try a cartexture! I'll post it later.

Thanks!! The thing is I have a specific cartexture in mind. I could whisper my idea to you if you want.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Yeah sure. Go ahead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013 edited

The colours look ... acceptable, but they could be better. I don't really like the red trains and the teal supports, however the green track looks very cool. Have you considered making the supports brownish? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: baadrixThe colours look ... acceptable, but they could be better. I don't really like the red trains and the teal supports, however the green track looks very cool. Have you considered making the supports brownish? :)

Do you think you could just show me an alternate color scheme on a flat track of what you think would be better. Also trains colors are not official someone is helping me big time with that. And that would make it lool like a total tree haha :P But seriously I'll try it out
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

they are the same colors that I used on my b&m hyper Legend. Everyone hated them and said they looked "swampy"
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: m_haugh16they are the same colors that I used on my b&m hyper Legend. Everyone hated them and said they looked "swampy"

Yea nobody seems to like the color scheme at all lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxmantoo00
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013

I don't know about you guys, but I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013 edited

Posted By: xmantoo00I don't know about you guys, but I love it.

Thanks haha :). I didn't know why people didn't like it so much but I still need to play around with some things so we shall see!!

I actually like this what do you guys think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

^Don't know what you mean exactly by "this", but the supports look pretty good.

However, I'm still not really enthusiatstic about the colours. It kinda lacks some contrast (similar to red/pink or blue/violet), maybe try to include a "golden-ish" colour (either for the track or supports), e. g. 234-192-47 (RGB values). :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Posted By: baadrix^Don't know what you mean exactly by "this", but the supports look pretty good.

I was referring to the color :( lol but thanks. I still have a little more to do with the supports as I want to add custom flanges (I would whip it up in CC but it puts too many for it to look like a realistic b&m giga)

Posted By: baadrixHowever, I'm still not really enthusiatstic about the colours. It kinda lacks some contrast (similar to red/pink or blue/violet), maybe try to include a "golden-ish" colour (either for the track or supports), e. g. 234-192-47 (RGB values). :)

I like the gold idea but the main reason I wanted the veer from that yellow tone with the green was because, at least in my opinion, it feels a little cliche since Cheetah Hunt has a very similar color scheme. But I did try it out and I liked what it looked like so I will keep it in consideration. In fact I have an update with the some more simulator pictures with both colors so I'll see what people say

**Update**

Due to school and track I haven't had much time to work on this, but I thought I would try this pre-fab support and use it as a spine to see how it looked...I actually liked better than what I had originally. What do you guys think?

Now for some sim shots!!

Below is my new altered color scheme:

Now here is a suggestion made by Baadrix:

I don't think the gold is bad at all I just think the color may seem a bit overused and I think the blue molds well with the green what do you all think?
    IMO you would be really better off with a true .3ds spine - It looks too thin as it is right now.

Also, I seem to prefer the green + yellow combination. I can't think of any other coaster with the same paint job as that, other than Cheetah Hunt. Besides, how many roller coasters are there that are painted red and (some other neutral color)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: Luisvaldez989IMO you would be really better off with a true .3ds spine - It looks too thin as it is right now.

Lol I tried that in the cc but since I couldnt line it up because its not a grid snapped layout

Posted By: Luisvaldez989Also, I seem to prefer the green + yellow combination. I can't think of any other coaster with the same paint job as that, other than Cheetah Hunt. Besides, how many roller coasters are there that are painted red and (some other neutral color)?

True. I'll see if I can get used to that color
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

All you need to do is go to preferences (in editor), then turn of auto scale and centre and as long as the green dot of the 3Ds is on the grey cross thing in the centre of the map, it should line up perfectly :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWalki

^I agree with everything he said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013

Posted By: UncleArlyAll you need to do is go to preferences (in editor), then turn of auto scale and centre and as long as the green dot of the 3Ds is on the grey cross thing in the centre of the map, it should line up perfectly :)

I should try that I did not know that
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

How about you show them all those absolutely fabulous cartextures you just so happened to come by??? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

I don't like the supports coming off of the spine. It is coming off at the wrong angle, and so it wouldn't really have much strength vertically, only horizontally. Look at Leviathans supports to see what I mean. They come off of the track at a right angle, and thus, they actually support the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12

Posted By: JAKoolHow about you show them all thoseabsolutely fabulouscartextures you just sohappenedto come by??? ;)

Saving best things for last ;) hahaha but seriously I would but I'm having an issue saving them onto cartextures folder. I'm going to work it out

Posted By: rcrider4I don't like the supports coming off of the spine. It is coming off at the wrong angle, and so it wouldn't really have much strength vertically, only horizontally. Look at Leviathans supports to see what I mean. They come off of the track at a right angle, and thus, they actually support the track.

When doing my support studying I did take notice of those supports connecting to the spine but I didn't pay attention to the proper angle so thanks for pointing that out :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013 edited

Sorry for the absence but I think I will try this color scheme as suggested by baadrix It has really grown on me.

As you can see I added some fencing ^__^ so onlookers arent tempted to touch haha. And that pitiful fps rate will probably only get worse for me haha. More to come! :)

And for rcrider4 I fixed those supports off the spine to make them more perpendicular.
    I think you lift supports need to be a size bigger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013

Thanks for choosing my colour scheme. haha
    Is the fence only a texture or did you do the net as 3ds (considering your frame rate)?

P.S.: It would look much cooler if you rotate the footers. :D
    • CommentAuthor-Divotik-
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013

1361648751-nolimitssimulator-2013-02-08-15-58-20-11.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack
    ^???

What are you trying to say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013 edited

I didn't make mean it perpendicular to the spine. I meant to the track, as seen on Leviathan here:
    •  
      CommentAuthorLJELLIS12
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2013

I agree they do look a little thin I'll go play with that a little bit.

Posted By: baadrixThanks for choosing my colour scheme. haha
    Is the fence only a texture or did you do the net as 3ds (considering your frame rate)?

P.S.: It would look much cooler if you rotate the footers. :D

I have no clue how to do that lol.

Posted By: -Divotik-1361648751-nolimitssimulator-2013-02-08-15-58-20-11.jpg - envoi d'image avec NoelShack

They look good, but my coaster is a giga I'm afraid: its a little different in terms of support placement. I think you have maybe oversupported but otherwise it looks great.

Posted By: rcrider4I didn't make mean it perpendicular to the spine. I meant to the track

Lol dang it! I'll go in and play with that too thanks for noting :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013

Posted By: LJELLIS12I have no clue how to do that lol.
    Just double-click on them in the editor, then you can adjust the angle of rotation. :)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013 edited

Some day I'm gonna build a roller coaster IRL that intentionally has all parallel footers just to piss you guys off.
    ^Lol. Using that as a signature on CC.