Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013 edited

Please scroll down for information on my current NL2 project.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

This is the thread where I post about my current projects. Scroll to the end of the thread for my latest coaster.

photo looper-130318091551000_zps3c63caad.png

photo looper-130318092534000_zps37b41d48.png

photo looper-130318092543001_zpsf3700a31.png

Once again, send me a whisper if you're interested.
    Looks a LOT like my Icarus ride (I think it only made it to the idea thread). Looks good, but I kinda wish it had more tunnels like my rendition. :)

Layout is nice though.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

Those cliffs need to be changed. They are way to flat.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

• CommentAuthorJAKool

They still have texture to them though. It's not just a big flat ugly looking slope that looks like the moon.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

The nolimits terraformer doesn't have high enough resolution to add texture on the cliffsides.
    Yeah, nothing he can do about it unless he wants to wrestle with a modeling program.

I have to say, I really love this layout, bigjoe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

my only concern is blocking...this thing looks like it has really, really low capacity.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

The capacity is around 1100 pph, which is pretty close to Intamin's advertised value of 1150 pph for their 12-inversion coaster.
    The coaster has an interesting layout.. The cliff should be changed though
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013

I honestly can't do anything about the cliff - this is the best the terraformer can do, and I'm not experienced enough with 3ds programs to make my own.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014

Wow, I knew I hadn't really updated on one of my own projects in a while, but I was surprised it was this long. Oh well - resurrecting this thread from the dead for a new NL2 project!

Terrain hyper-looper. One inversion so far, but plenty of airtime - and we haven't even gotten to the lift yet. Any suggestions for continuing the layout?
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014

Finished pre-lift segment, although I'm not really too sure about the section on the other side of the Immelmann. Any testers, or criticism on my use of FVD++?

Download the FVD file here.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014 edited

Here are some shots from the sim, for those of you who don't have FVD++.

This is very heavily Intamin inspired, so feel free to critique my shaping. I've tried to take inspiration from the shaping styles of Intamin's hypers and loopers, while combining that with my own influence, a preference for a very natural, flowing layout with smooth, continuous banking changes throughout the whole ride. Most of my layouts aspire to this, with the goal being a layout that feels natural, with no elements that feel forced in or unfitting. I also try to avoid "Newtony", snap-to-value banking changes, with the goal being a continuous, nonzero roll change curve (which you can see if you download the FVD++ file).

If there is anything about my shaping that seems wrong, please tell me, and I will either work to change it or give the reasoning behind it. This is a relatively large project, with the intention being that the hill behind the station is extended upward a further 50-100 feet, to produce a total drop of 150-200 feet down the hillside. The lift hill will then extend a further 200 feet up past that, to allow an extensive, multi-part layout, designed with the assistance of the analysis techniques developed by Jeremy Thompson at Roller Coaster Philosophy. The goal is a mix of Cheetah Hunt and the Voyage, taking the Intamin influences and gentler shaping from Cheetah Hunt, to contrast with the more intense, laterals/airtime heavy parts inspired by the voyage (but still with Intamin-inspired shaping) in order to accentuate both. For those who clicked the "analysis" link, the strategy I am using here is the "Dramatic" technique, with a bit of "A-B" mixed in. What you see here is just the prelift - or to take the dramatic writing analogy further, this is the small action scene at the beginning of a mystery book or a thriller movie where the villain is introduced, usually through some sort of crime or other suspenseful scene.

The plan is for the first part of the layout after the lift to be a relatively gentle, but high-speed section of track, similar to Cheetah Hunt, with a bit of looping thrown in, but nothing particularly intense (max Gs expected to be about +4/-0.3). This will be followed by an MCBR located on an elevated section of terrain, to produce the illusion that the ride has slowed down more than it actually has, followed by a small launch into a large, floaty looping section with extremely low forces (+3.5/-0.2) but huge, slow-rotating elements, such as a 150+ foot Norwegian Loop or a 120+ foot double zero-g roll. Following this section of track will be another MCBR, and then about 20 seconds of slow, low force/low banking/low speed meandering on top of the hill, and then finally descending the hill via a small downwards launch, into a fast paced, high speed/high force dash along the river, culminating in a element that combines all three of the ride experiences in previous parts of the ride - a huge, 200+ foot immelmann-like element, taking up 10+ seconds of ride time, that begins slowly rotating after about 110 degrees of pullup (with the forces simultaneously decreasing to approximately 0) but with the roll per second continuously increasing throughout 5-7 consecutive rotations, with the final rotation pointing down at the ground at about a 50 degree angle at about 200-250 degrees per second, and then pulling out into a upwards-curving, Full-Throttle-like brake run, leaving the coaster with just enough speed to curve back up the hillside and return to the original level of the station seen here.

Currently there are no plans for 3ds, as I am not adept with any modeling programs.

For those of you who would like a more in-depth look into my shaping techniques, you can download the FVD file here. I would appreciate any and all critique on my use of FVD++.

-bigjoe97
    It didn't load properly in FVD++ for me, so it's nice to see the pictures. It looks neat so far. Mind sending the NL2 file itself (since it will probably load correctly)?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014

^Which version of FVD++ did you use? It seemed to work fine for me.

@bigjoe97: You seem to use almost exclusively cubic transitions. I encourage you to try out the other transition types because those can help you create desired effects and transitions more easily. What I try most of the time is to use the least amount of transitions while still maintaining the same overall shape of the graphs. The technical reason for this is the fact that higher order transitions are automatically more natural and flow better, which is the effect you are going for as you said. For using only cubic roll speed transitions you did a marvelous job though. On a side note, I applaud you for your extensive use of lateral forces!

Gretings, Lenny
    ^Ah, it seems I have v0.75 instead of v0.76. I'll download it and see if it fixes it.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014

@Lenny:

I mainly use cubic roll speed transitions because I find that thanks to the single integral between the roll speed graph and the roll itself, the cubic graphs provide enough continuity, and any smoothness provided by using higher order graphs is unnoticeable in the final product. I also use quadratic transitions for blending between sections, but other than that I've been fine with cubic. Additionally, using 2 cubic transitions instead of a single quartic opposite direction first transition (for example) allows me to get a level of control over the shape of the graph that's not possible with the quartic. For example, if I wanted a graph that started at a nonzero value, increased almost linearly, but then curved smoothly down to zero, this wouldn't be possible with a quartic opposite direction first transition, but would work if I used two cubic transitions, with the first one on the way up set to a tension value of about 1.2, and the second one on the way down with the center moved a bit to the left and the tension set to about 0.4 or so (just throwing approximate numbers out here).

In general, I find that any additional smoothness that could be attained by using the higher order transitions is outweighed by the additional control I get by using multiple cubic transitions instead.

@AJ, is the FVD++ file working for you now?

--- --- --- ---

For everyone - any comments on my layout plan?
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014

Here is the link to the NL2 parkfile, for those of you who don't have FVD++ (and AJ).
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014

Aaaaaaand it turns out that I've built the whole track with the wrong heartline. Oh well - time to start over, I guess.
    ^You, me. Join the club. =S
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014

Layout slightly altered and rebuilt.

• CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014 edited

Prelift is pretty much done.

My brain hurts.
    I don't really know what to think of this but I'm kind of amazed and confused at the same time lol
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014

... what happens next? May I suggest a launched top hat that breaks as it pulls out and ends in the station?
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014

Haha, I guess I really do like my compact coasters. Here's my plans for the rest of the layout:

Posted By: bigjoe97This is very heavily Intamin inspired, so feel free to critique my shaping. I've tried to take inspiration from the shaping styles of Intamin's hypers and loopers, while combining that with my own influence, a preference for a very natural, flowing layout with smooth, continuous banking changes throughout the whole ride. Most of my layouts aspire to this, with the goal being a layout that feels natural, with no elements that feel forced in or unfitting. I also try to avoid "Newtony", snap-to-value banking changes, with the goal being a continuous, nonzero roll change curve (which you can see if you download the FVD++ file).

If there is anything about my shaping that seems wrong, please tell me, and I will either work to change it or give the reasoning behind it. This is a relatively large project, with the intention being that the hill behind the station is extended upward a further 50-100 feet, to produce a total drop of 150-200 feet down the hillside. The lift hill will then extend a further 200 feet up past that, to allow an extensive, multi-part layout, designed with the assistance of theanalysis techniquesdeveloped by Jeremy Thompson atRoller Coaster Philosophy. The goal is a mix of Cheetah Hunt and the Voyage, taking the Intamin influences and gentler shaping from Cheetah Hunt, to contrast with the more intense, laterals/airtime heavy parts inspired by the voyage (but still with Intamin-inspired shaping) in order to accentuate both. For those who clicked the "analysis" link, the strategy I am using here is the "Dramatic" technique, with a bit of "A-B" mixed in. What you see here is just the prelift - or to take the dramatic writing analogy further, this is the small action scene at the beginning of a mystery book or a thriller movie where the villain is introduced, usually through some sort of crime or other suspenseful scene.

The plan is for the first part of the layout after the lift to be a relatively gentle, but high-speed section of track, similar to Cheetah Hunt, with a bit of looping thrown in, but nothing particularly intense (max Gs expected to be about +4/-0.3). This will be followed by an MCBR located on an elevated section of terrain, to produce the illusion that the ride has slowed down more than it actually has, followed by a small launch into a large, floaty looping section with extremely low forces (+3.5/-0.2) but huge, slow-rotating elements, such as a 150+ foot Norwegian Loop or a 120+ foot double zero-g roll. Following this section of track will be another MCBR, and then about 20 seconds of slow, low force/low banking/low speed meandering on top of the hill, and then finally descending the hill via a small downwards launch, into a fast paced, high speed/high force dash along the river, culminating in a element that combines all three of the ride experiences in previous parts of the ride - a huge, 200+ foot immelmann-like element, taking up 10+ seconds of ride time, that begins slowly rotating after about 110 degrees of pullup (with the forces simultaneously decreasing to approximately 0) but with the roll per second continuously increasing throughout 5-7 consecutive rotations, with the final rotation pointing down at the ground at about a 50 degree angle at about 200-250 degrees per second, and then pulling out into a upwards-curving, Full-Throttle-like brake run, leaving the coaster with just enough speed to curve back up the hillside and return to the original level of the station seen here.
    A little late but I haven't been on the forums in a while...

I love that pre-lift man! Everything is extremely compact and looks equally as executed. I can't be arsed to read the paragraphs explaing "what happens next" as I'm battling an illness and have a pretty bad headache (que smallest violin) but I'm glad to see that it's been very well thought out! I hope to see further updates:)
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014

I've actually gone through and reworked the ending a bit - it's not done yet, but the shaping of the half-roll-half-corkscrew is a lot better, and the exit actually rides/looks like a corkscrew now.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014 edited

Holy moly of Mongoli ... -a, what a *twisty* mess. ;) Love it (as well as the landscape)!
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014

You should definitely name this after some kind of snake. With all of these twisted coils it'd make a great name for this.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014

Medium-to-large update today: I went and edited the shape of the mountain a bit to make it seem more natural, and also added terrain textures instead of simply the default plain grass. I also added a couple small patches of trees, just to test out how well a forest effect can be simulated. The method I chose was to use mainly 3d trees around the border, but fill the inside with a mix of 3d trees and non-3d trees, to help increase framerates, and it seems to have worked out pretty well - but you can judge for yourself. Finally, I finished the prelift, and this is hopefully the final version. After the heartline-corkscrew, the ride turns into 3 airtime hills, and then the prelift brakerun. Here are some pictures - I'm still very impressed with how good NL2 looks, and the ground textures are very very good.

A couple overview shots of the ride

Down the first drop

Exiting the immelmann

A couple shots of the first twisted airtime hill

Through the low overbank

The second twisted airtime hill (I like this shot a lot)

The heartline-corkscrew element

Final bunny hops

One last wide overview of the ride

Download the FVD file here.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

This thing is nuts! I love it.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Haha, thanks. On a slightly unrelated note, I'm proud to say that between the immelmann and the final bunny hops, there are no points of static banking.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you upload the NL2 file here also since I do not have FVD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAussieMine

It's not hard to get FVD, just go onto the FVD post, and download it.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I do not think you can ride it in FVD, can you?
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014

Here's the NL2 file.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014

Hi bigjoe,

thats a weird layout but not in a negative way! I like your trackwork(though i didn´t look on the accelerations but i guess they will be good). Will there be more as you indicate with the lift?

Anyway, it was nice to see the Intamin trains in motion(first time for me in NL2) and they look great. Good luck on supporting this one. I´m sure it will add a whole lot more to ride experience ;)...

Daniel :)
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014

Still going...

The Current track and Reference 3 are the two frontrunners for final version - Reference 3 was originally the semi-final version, but I felt that the pacing over the large airtime hills was a bit fast, and the air was a bit strong (I wanted a more slowly paced style, reminiscent of older woodies and their large hills with slight positive Gs at the top), as I'm planning to slowly crescendo the intensity a bit during the "out" section of this out-and-back, and that'd be difficult with the air hills already hitting -1.2 G.

Thoughts on both 'Current' and 'Reference 3'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014 edited

If you're stuck between Current and Reference 3, you could perhaps split the difference and offer weak negative G's on the onset of the hills and floater on the apex bump. Other than that, if you're going for one or the other (and promise to deliver a stronger finish), I'd go with the Current. I like the ideas you have on Reference 3 but they need just a little more refinement on the edges IMO.

First, I thought this lead-out was a little awkward. I don't know if this was inspired by S:ROS or the like, but it rides funny. You had good lats on the hill but the lats went the opposite way as you bottomed out. It looks like you made it intentional, but it just seems weird to me (unless I'm the only one). Riding a little sideways to the ground and having strong-ish positive G's is a bit awkward to ride. I think if you generally eliminated the lats at the bottom of that drop, the track would grab hold a little better and cushion the riders as they surge back up.

I also felt that the leadout going into the helix was just a hair awkward. The red line sort-of highlights the plane I'm looking at, where the bank twists the track and then just sits it on a Quaternion plane, leaving it feeling stale. It's very minute, but it's missing a fun detail I think could improve it. If you watch Kyle Sloane's Heretic, toward the end (1:00) you'll see he has some interesting wobbles and adjustments in the roll as he takes the quicker transitions. I think if you very subtly did this, it could make the helix a bigger moment to the riders. It's sort of like the train is getting in position, digging its heels into the turn (the unbank wobble), and then blazing down through the turn.

The helix itself so far is nice and I like the forces on it and its shape. Progressively increasing the bank made it climatic and exciting. If you just made the top have a little more play, I think it could be a great element. The trick is to do it very, very carefully so it doesn't ruin your shape. Keep the lats how you have it, just tweak the roll a little more. Give it some finish.

I think one of the weird issues with your ride is that you're going for two styles. In the beginning you have a very modern & calculated style, yet on the hyper section it's the year 2000. I think you can still blend these styles but you'll have to bridge them in a very natural, organic & fluid way. I'd tone down on the 2000's style and perhaps bring it some modern context.

This is probably a more detailed/reflective/abstract/opinionated response than you need, but those are my thoughts. So far though, I'm really liking the ride as a concept and in its general execution. The beginning is a lot of fun, and you seem to be making solid progress.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014

Here's an Idea. how about before you decide to support it yourself, you let us in the forum try our hand at supporting it. It would be cool to try and figure the supports for this.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014

AJ - you are literally the best. That is actually exactly the sort of response I was hoping for (but not getting thus far), and is extremely helpful. The weird lats during the pullout were definitely intentional, and also meant to be a throwback to the 1950s woodie shaping style. As for the banking transitions in the helix, I'll try my best - the shaping was a pain in the ass to do, but I like what you're suggesting here.

captfido - That's an interesting idea, and I would like to see what you guys have for ideas as for the supports. You can still download the NL2 file here, and feel free to either email me with the NL2 file or pictures of supported versions at transcendentalmaster@gmail.com, or just post pictures here in the thread.
    I got it though it seems, that you given me an older copy: with the white track. If you have the newer copy I'd love to look at that too. I'll put forth some effort to try and make it look nice. This will be fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014 edited

I love the spaghetti bowl you have. I will download it next week and tell you my opinion. BTW, nice use of laterals(based on your FVD pic) , almost everybody seems to forget them when making an Intamin coaster.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

I extended 'Current' up to the point that 'Reference 3' was at when I froze it - how does it seem now?

Here's the updated FVD file (now with section names!), and here's the NL2 file.
    I'm convinced after riding that NL2 POV. Cool stuff.

Someone else may think different, but I think what you got so far is pretty great. I love the helix, I think you did it different from my suggestion, but in a really good way. That idea of sustaining the laterals and then just pile-driving it back in at 0 at the base was powerful. The transition afterward into the hills has zest and character reminiscent of S:ROS clones.

I also love your beginning. I'm sure somebody higher up could pick it apart more, but the pace and shapes are great fun to me. I liked your banking play mixed in with the longer bits of light forces and constant unraveling. Your s-hills were pretty steep and severe, but I think that reminds me of the stuff Kanonen would have. The beginning seems really out-of-place though, like it should be its own ride or something. I definitely think you should fill that space up with rides so it has a "reason" to be compact. This in my opinion would sell the concept more.

I'm curious as to what you have in store for "Part 3". One idea I think would be cool is to finish with a drop to a big top hat, followed by a Cheetah Hunt roll like I did with my extended Aftermath layout. I wish I still had the Unlisted video but I got rid of it. Basically, it was a super high-speed Cheetah Hunt roll that rolled up and down into the brakes a bit like the real ride does in its MCBR. I can re-record/upload that portion if you want to see how I did it. I even made it in Newton2 so in FVD++ it should be easier. The forces are weird though - I may be able to help with that.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014

Thanks for the compliments on the helix - I tried to get a bit more 'dive' into it this time around, to emphasize the pacing a bit more since I slowed it up a bit on the big hills.

As for the beginning, the s-hills are indeed pretty severe. I was taking inspiration mostly from Speed Monster there, with a bit of Goliath mixed in (with much faster pacing though). The general idea for the beginning is sort of a 'taste'; the concept is for the park to be a riverside-ish park, similar to SFNE, with this ride being the giant flagship attraction at the very back of the park, extending waaay back into the wilderness past the rest of the park's land (think Voyage). The prelift is the 'advertisement' for the ride, where visitors can see part of the ride running, but also see the lift hill extending way up into the distance and have no clue as for the rest of the layout (again think Voyage, with the finale clearly visible to the guests but the rest of the layout hidden). Not sure if that makes sense or not....
    I get what you mean, but it seems like it needs to have a real reason to be compact other than excitement. Just a twisted coaster in the wilderness, followed by a sprawling 2nd half is weird. When done with the track, I'd work on the surroundings for the compact part (surround it by big paths/plazas?) to sell that portion of the ride better.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014

Here's the tentative pre-MCBR track, in an FVD file.