Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey guys. If you have been here for at least half a year you will know that I have made many attempts to build a coaster in NL that will be able to fit realistically into my (small) home park, Enchanted Kingdom. Here is my most recent (and so far most realistic) scenario.

The layout for this next coaster is derived from my original plans, which you can see above. The ride will have some interaction with the adjacent rapids ride.

Clearly the auto supports are only there as a placeholder, I will use heavily modified supports for the final version.
    Loving the Wodan influence, and glad to see you're still trying to build a coaster for your home park :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013

Speaking from my experience of Wodan I can say your ride is going to be awesome by the looks of it. I can definitely see some heavy GCI influence, which is obviously a good thing. lol
    Thanks guys :)

UPDATE (because I have nothing better to do today)

^ I have a little problem with this element. I like it because it provides some nice laterals as well as some quick banking at high speed, but from this angle it seems a bit Newtony to me. Is it just me, or if it isn't, what can I do to improve the shaping of this element?

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: Luisvaldez989^ I have a little problem with this element. I like it because it provides some nice laterals as well as some quick banking at high speed, but from this angle it seems a bit Newtony to me. Is it just me, or if it isn't, what can I do to improve the shaping of this element?

The first thing I thought was "that looks a bit too newtony" too. I think you should try to have the change in yaw match up less with the rolling motion if you understand what I mean. Most wooden coasters seem to have delayed banking which cause the out-of-control feel of those rides. Try to make the banking motion a bit more sluggish is what I'm trying to say.

Greetings, Lenny
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Love the first overbank's exit. It looks exactly like something GCI would do. Keep up the great work!
    I'd change the first fan turn so that the top is at a bit of an upward angle and increase to forces to make it turn faster, but definitely keep the exit.
    UPDATE

Modified the shaping of the elements, and added some more.

^ Obviously not inspired by any element whatsoever on White Lightning.

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013

This looks beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013

The turn in the 4th picture looks a little bit newtonized, but I love the re-shaped turn you had concerns about in the previous update.
    Just showing you guys that I'm still working on this. I'm going for a different layout now.

Environment by LeFLO ("Grand Duc")

Onride Video

Would a momentary -0.7G in the front car on that first hill be acceptable?
    • CommentAuthorAyTrane
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013

^Not if you're shooting for a GCI
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013 edited

Tbh, I preferred the first version much more, the current layout doesn't really resemble the GCI style in my opinion. The track appears to be too smooth at the beginning while the last bit has some weird shaping.

Love the description of the video, though. ;)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013

That's almost the exact same layout I built a GCI with. GET OUT OF MY MIIIIND.
    The second to last pic reminds me of Grand Duc. A lot.
    This is layout v1, but modified and extended. What do you guys think so far?

Layout is really nice, but dem auto-supports x_x
    Don't worry, those are not final.
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989The auto supports are only there as a placeholder, I will use heavily modified supports for the final version.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013

That actually looks really great, love the L shape style.
    Yeah this looks awesome!
    Layout is complete. The trackwork you see is probably final.

Video
    Is the brake run tilted a half degree?
    Very impressive man! Best of luck on the supports.
    Thanks!

Yes, the brake run is tilted.
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989The trackwork you see is probably final.

I lied

The ride would be the 2nd longest GCI in the world (1236.47 m). Can operate up to 3 trains.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013

Dayum that woodie is long.

Wait...
    Beautiful! It looks like airtime central too!
    Welp, this ride has gone through like 9845672 modifications lol. This is the latest version. I decided to go the opposite direction in terms of size. Now this ride is the second shortest GCI (700 m or 2297 ft). Height is about 26 m (85 ft). Even with 2 trains, this ride has pretty good capacity, at 1125 riders per hour. I hope I will stay content with this layout haha. Though right now, I think I'm pretty happy with it.

Onride POV

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013

I really like that. The height and length ratio feels great. Even though it's short, it doesn't feel it. Great pacing and elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013

I think it could need a little more variation, right now it feels the track is going up and down and up and down (especially the part after the turn on the very right in the last picture), in between a few turns and then the brakes. I can definitely see a lot of GCI influence, but I'd suggest to make the coaster interact more with itself as there are just two crossings right now.
    Don't get me wrong: The pacing is great and the length is pretty reasonable given this height, but I feel you could throw in some more interaction and unexpected turns and twists. It's your coaster, though - if you like this way keep it this way. :)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013 edited

That's an amazing layout Luis. Love the White Lightning influence. Good job!
    baadrix: Thank you for the suggestion, but although adding more twists and turns to the ride would indeed add more variation, I also wanted rapid-fire floater airtime to be the focus of this ride. Replacing the hills with turns will make it difficult to achieve that kind of airtime, and you can only do so much with an 80-ft tall drop before you start losing steam for the later part of the coaster.

^ More realistic magnetic brake arrangement.

I will probably finish this ride in NL2, knowing that it will be released very soon. I hope to be able to make better and more accurate supports for this ride on NL2. As for the layout, there may be some more minor modifications, but the general idea is final. Major changes to the layout (e.g. Height change & significant lengthening of layout) will stop here, otherwise I may come to the point that an idea that was originally good becomes a bad one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013

The layout of this ride is just true bliss, I really would recommend creating this in NL2, just because woodies with NL2's graphics ? I'd be drooling ...

Another thing, is there gonna be any theming or, will it be similar to White Lightning ?
    I will probably add some very simple theming, similar to what the rest of the park has IRL. I might theme the ride along the lines of 'a Spanish oceanic voyage'; thus, the ride's working title is "La Expedición".
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013

You really should pitch this to the park. It looks so cool.
    No way! You mean there's actually progress happening on this project, and not just another post showing a different layout with text saying that the layout is "final"?! That's impossible!

Custom supports are coming up. Wodan-style structure for the turnaround before the first drop is in the earliest phases of progress. Also, this ride will probably use a combination of nylon and polyurethane wheels in real life, due to potential noise issues. (The park is close to a subdivision of houses and settlements, as well as a school.) The friction has been changed accordingly, and guess what, it actually rides better! (Thank you NL team for custom friction! :D)
    This pleases me
    My body is ready :)

...once a Mac version of NL2 is released anyway :(
    ...Aaand the supports for the turnaround are done. Phew! (I'm a very slow worker.) Ignore the wireframe coaster in the background; that's just an older version of this GCI.

^ Wait.... What's that peering through the trees over there?

^ Well, well, well! If it isn't our good old friend Space Shuttle.

^ And then the two rides, with a bunch of empty land, for our last picture. (The park's go-karts and segway course will have to be removed for this attraction.) Wait, why is there so much land being cleared unnecessarily?
    I see a park coming :D
    Supports until the pre-lift flyby are complete. Final tall airtime hill is up next!

Looks really really nice man! Very GCI like
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014

For the lift and drop part where the supports make a half circle, I would suggest not having all of the pieces going straight to the middle footer. I would make a mini "U" shape in there instead. This would aesthetically look better and be easier to support. Look at the lift for Wodan. That should give you a clear look at what I'm saying. Picture 26 on RCDB might help.
    Heh, I knew someone would notice that eventually. I do understand that Wodan's supports do not meet at the middle (I already took a look at that picture for reference while making support work on that part), however, making the supports so that the footers follow an imaginary, smooth circle was practically impossible with my incredibly basic supporting skills (without making them look incredibly ugly).
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014

Than in your case, I would try to center that footer. I know logically most people won't really notice something like that, but I tend to pay more attention to wooden coaster designs. Maybe you could make a square footer there, like a 2x2 square one. than you could have the supports go to one on the individual nodes to make it better. Overall this is has been one neat coaster to follow. I'm surprised you actually took the time to make multiple versions to make it better, props.
    The ride will be called Selva Grande Flyer

I've "fixed" the turnaround supports (somewhat), and there's some more progress. Slowly but surely.

•  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014

Really like the realistic feel of this ride and it looks very fun. Nice support work as well. Looking forward to ride it! :)
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014

That structure looks fantastic now, congrats
    I've not been able to make a lot of progress on this ride lately, because life. I've been going through a lot of (good and bad) stuff lately, (including someone important leaving,) which I really don't want to go into in detail.

Anyway, here are pictures of what I've been able to do within the past two weeks. Slowly? Always has been, and always will be. Surely? I'm not certain.

• CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014

You still have this layout I really hope?

http://imgur.com/cxGM1N4