Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013 edited

It's about time that I start working on a new coaster. I have numerous Intamin coasters on this site, so I will try something new, and this will be my first attempt at making a eurofighter. I didn't want to go through the pain of making a vertical lift and beyond vertical drop in Newton 2, so I just kept it relatively simple. This ride is called Skyjay, and it is themed after the Florida Scrub Jay, one of the rarest birds in America. In fact, I will even replicate the bird's habitat as part of the scenery portion of the ride. I will also be trying Sketchup 2013, because I just realized that it imports and exports in 3DS! Yeah, I am so excited for this project now!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013

For a Euro-Fighter it seems to be lacking alot of inversions, but otherwise, it looks great so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Yeah, looks a little more Mack/Premier to me. Not a bad thing!
    I see some dubious shaping. Actually more than some. A lot. Mostly in the way you approach banking, it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

I completely redid the layout since I saw your feedback. Is this one any better? I snuck in two heartline rolls in the layout, plus a corkscrew halfway through.

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Hmm..those inversions look very much like the prefab editor ones...
    Do you have any experience with FVD++? I think that would work somewhat better... I see some Newton idiosyncrasies and cringe. Like the second hearline roll, the corkscrew, the entrane to the final brakes, the overbank behind the corkscrew, and the change of direction behind the hill that follows the launch.

I don't think their editor ones, but they certainly don't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013

Also not wild about the end of that new layout. The corkscrew in particular (in both layouts) looks a bit misshapen (too tight/high G if I had to guess), and the big finale is... a slow helix into the brakes? I'd vote for a redo basically from the corkscrew on, and perhaps take another crack at blending those heartline rolls into the elements that precede & follow them. Might be tough to do in Newton without some AHG tomfoolery, FVD++ might be a better option.

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

^Is this what you mean by blending in the heartline rolls? This is just one example on the revisions of the new layout.

• CommentAuthorbigjoe97

That looks a lot more gerstlauer, although still not quite right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013

Posted By: bigjoe97That looks a lot more gerstlauer, although still not quite right.

What do you mean? Do you mind explaining briefly what I need to do?
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Well I'm not really sure how to help here, because I'm not sure how you're constructing it. Could we see a pic of the ride in Newton (or whatever you're using)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013 edited

Posted By: bigjoe97Well I'm not really sure how to help here, because I'm not sure how you're constructing it. Could we see a pic of the ride in Newton (or whatever you're using)?

Here it is in Newton 2. You can also see the overbanked turn right after the roll.

• CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Okay, that looks pretty good. What I would do is make the roll a bit flatter, by increasing the negative Gs at the top of the roll to -0.9 or so and also increasing the lats to about 0.8. I would also make the transition right before the roll timewarping, move the center over to the right a bit, move the center of the roll itself to the left a bit, and increase the smoothing when exporting.
    Make the roll section exiting the turn longer.
    So many single zones... :cry:

Integrate. Use longer multizone sections (like a couple hundred meters a piece or longer). It will improve the flow some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013

Anybody up for some night riding? This project has now been changed to Nightowl, and the only tools used so far were Newton 2 and the ASG - everything else is purely done by hand. What do you think of the new twisty layout?

Ooooh, it looks nice! Please please please have it launch out of a dead tree and have it meander through a dead forest? :D
    I think that the banking shouldn't start until after you crest the top hat-ish element. Also, it turns to the left too much.
    Posted By: BirdNerdthe only tools used so far were Newton 2 and the ASG - everything else is purely done by hand.

If you used tools for the track and supports, what else does that leave to be done by hand?
    I am surprised how well ASG works on this ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: gigacoasterfanI am surprised how well ASG works on this ride.

Yeah, if you really know how to tweak it afterwards, then it can look extremely well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Here's a quick look at the mostly custom station. I have put together an environment for the ride, and I did the roof, beams, etc.

• CommentAuthorJAKool

Wow, now that's the way to make a Eurofighter Birdy. Don't quite like the station though. The textures are all really weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

I like the concept of the station but the textures are pretty bad. It also needs handrails so people don't fall off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLeFLO
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013

Cool original layout, BirdNerd, you can actually see the Gerstlauer wickedshaping-ness in it. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

How's this for a little station modifying? Project will definitely be uploaded this Sunday!

•  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

The textures are still really weird.It looks like a leopard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: m_haugh16The textures are still really weird.It looks like a leopard.

Haha don't worry! Changing the textures will be the last thing that I do, not to mention that I still need to add a a cartexture.
    i dont know what element that is in the top left corner of the last picture but how many deaths has it caused so far? :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: Brett-Jonesi dont know what element that is in the top left corner of the last picture but how many deaths has it caused so far? :P

The G-forces are all in check, with the highest verticals being somewhere around 3.1 and the highest laterals being somewhere around -1.2.
    Does the car clear the track? It looks too tight for the Eurofighter cars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: TheBeatlesDoes the car clear the track? It looks too tight for the Eurofighter cars.

Oops! I just ran the sim to check, and it does not! What should I do now? There's no point in starting the whole project all over again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

If it's only slight, I'd say you could get away with it (purely because you're nearly done) but If it's pretty major, it's a bad mistake to make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Here's a shot of the new cartexture + station textures!

•  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013

Sorry for the double post, but the ride is now uploaded!

http://nolimits-exchange.com/coaster/nightowl/6870
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013

Rated :)