Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Typhoon is a very compact wooden coaster based off of Fred Church coasters. Typhoon is also Gravity Flyers Incs first wooden coaster with steel supports. The coaster is 100ft tall and 3347ft long, it has a top vertical g-force of 3.2 g's, a max lateral g-force of 0.8 to -0.8, and a top speed of 50mph. Typhoon doesn't have any gimmicks like inversions and over-banked turns, the banking goes up to 55 degrees. This coaster is very compact with a footprint of 130ft x 436ft making it one of the most compact coasters ever. The coaster will be entirely hand supported but for now it is just the prefabs. Typhoon is a family wooden coaster filled with plenty of floater airtime and it will be themed to be along a boardwalk by a beach. Typhoon will use 2 trains of 12 cars called Gravity Flyers which are based off of Fred Church's original trains.
    Pictures:

SWAGGER JACKERRR

Just kidding :) Looks great! I love how unbelievably compact it is!
    Lol thanks :P I actually looked up Fred Church coasters after looking at your thread and make a woodie inspired by his coasters
    Woah! That looks cool! I can see that on a boardwalk.
    ^That's a awesome idea, the name fits too!!
    Thanks guys! After I'm done custom supporting it I will make 3D's and theme it to a typical boardwalk. :)
    • CommentAuthorKFTOY
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013

Wow, looks awesome! Out of curiosity, how are the forces on the first drop in the last car? Looks like some crazy airtime mixed with laterals right there.

•  
      CommentAuthordjd711

Really like this one, Reminds me a lot of a different coloured version of Woodchip from RCT1. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
    Posted By: KFTOY

Wow, looks awesome! Out of curiosity, how are the forces on the first drop in the last car? Looks like some crazy airtime mixed with laterals right there.

The vertical g-force is -0.5 and the lateral g-force is 0.5 to -0.5g's

Thank you Dave!
    • CommentAuthorKFTOY

^That's a lot less than I expected! This ride seems like a ton of fun! I agree with gigacoasterfan that this would be perfect for a boardwalk park.

I started working on custom supporting for this :)

Nick, you're insane. This is the 3rd coaster you're going to custom support xD
    Nah, but the ride looks really good. I could see it at a small park. I can't wait to see how the custom supporting and 3Ds turn out :)
    Thanks crazydud :P I know I'm just a tiny bit insane xP

By the way due to L-shape beams being a pain in the ass to work with I'm changing all the supports to wooden beams.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013

Awwww. Why not use H-Beams?
    Cause then it would just look odd lol
    Sorry for double posting but here's an update:

When I custom support wooden coasters I usually leave all the catwalk and handrails till the end, but with Typhoon being incredibly compact and with the amount of nodes this is going to have I've decided to do it in sections so my head doesn't explode.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013 edited

Why do you not like working with L-Beams anyways? In my opinion they look better than wood in some cases.
    Because wooden coasters don't use H-beams for the whole support structure and the way I make wooden supports is with different beam types and just not one thickness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorllamaboy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2013 edited

I like it better with wood supports. It gives the ride more of an "authentic" feel.
    ^Thank you Llamaboy :)
    ^^Agreed. :) Great work so far!
    Thanks IronWolf! It'll get really tricky soon to do soon though :P
    Oh I bet ;) Gonna be a pain!
    Ah well if you want supports to look good might as well take the time and do them yourself instead of just using the prefabs.
    I would do them, but when it comes to the prefab woody supports, my patience is dwindling as it trying to fix the mess of wide supports they produce, let alone the main center structure. I'm much better at steel supports...
    Well what you could do is just use the basic prefab woody supports and make all the wide supports by hand. :p
    Sorry to interrupt the emoticon love thread but I hope whatever tool you used didn't take over on your design, cause the layout looks really good. Looking forward to this as usual - it's definitely eye-catching to look at and seems to be a lot of fun!
    You didn't interrupt anything AJ :P I'm sure it didn't take over this coaster I spent a lot of time on getting everything just the way I wanted it to be. And thank you, it is a lot of fun!
    even i wouldnt do this. sod that for a laugh! :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013

Posted By: djd711Reminds me a lot of a different coloured version of Woodchip from RCT1.
    This is exactly what I was thinking about the coaster at first. Not a bad thing, though.
    It looks absolutely great, I really like the effort you put into the supports to make them as realistic as possible.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2013

Kind of reminds me of the Big Fun concept. A big out and back twister in the smallest footprint possible.
    UPDATE: I've been working on supports and it's been a slow process but I'll finish this!

•  
      CommentAuthorIbanez
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013

Damn you are fast with those supports! Two days and you went past the lift!
    I could never do that and still have the supports look so good. Nice work :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013

Everytime I look into this thread I'm surprised by the very well-made hand-built wooden supports you've added until the last update. Great work, I wish you'd be a real company which builds that fast! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2013 edited

I'd suggest you to change the color a little tad tiny bit from that, only because all your rides looks the same. Maybe just a few tone down to make it older.

Otherwise it looks awesome, as usual. I like how the two banked camel-backs are on a same plan.
    Still looking very nice!!