Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBH
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013

I've asked for help elsewhere but this community seems to have a much higher proficiency with Newton.

I'm trying to create three separate elements that would suit an inverted coaster, specifically a cobra roll, dive loop, and batwing. If anybody could give me the parameters for properly constructing such elements, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I've tried to use Entropy's online tutorials, and they've worked for the Immelmann loop, but I've failed in my efforts to make a dive loop by simply "doing it in reverse." The cobra roll works perfectly for sitters but has failed me on an Invert, and I've yet to find anything at all for a batwing.

I appreciate your cooperation and time.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

well, the cobra roll video tutorial from entropy should apply still to the inverted coaster. just make sure your heartline and friction values are set correctly. As for a dive loop, it is similar to 'doing it in reverse', but not so literally. The roll happens on the first half of the element, so that when it hits the apex it comes mostly straight down, creating that 90 degree turn effect from the element. Still same relative forces. I learned the element by creating the dive loop and playing with the subzones. Specifically altering the location of the roll, and the g forces coming into it. Also, the previous piece of track leading into a dive loop greatly effects the look of the element. If I can get around to building a quick one, I'll put up a download link for you to look at.

As for the batwing, it's literally a dive loop into a single force section that sets it up for an immelman exit. So, still gotta figure out that dive loop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBH

The thing about the tutorial is that when I use the parameters specified by Entropy, the shaping is wonky and messed up due to the new heartline value. With the zero-G roll, it formed a perfect B&M Invert zero-G roll, but here the cobra roll's shape is very odd and not correct.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013 edited

Unfortunately, the best way(at least in my experience) to learn newton 2 is to just use his tutorials as guidelines, and play with times and timewarping transitions for SURE. I hate how the only tutorial he uses timewarping in is the corkscrew tut. Timewarping can dramatically shape your element. Give me about 15 minutes, I'll have a diveloop/batwing up for you.

edit* Here, try this and see if it doesn't help with making a batwing/diveloop. The first element is a dive loop, then it rolls into setting up a dive loop to exit. It's on a fairly large scale. If you set it to a smaller ride, just decreasing the time properly, and you can always use timewarping to shape the directions of the element. Hope it helps more than the tutorials. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorllamaboy

Posted By: Elvenageedit* Here, try this and see if it doesn't help with making a batwing/diveloop. The first element is a dive loop, then it rolls into setting up a dive loop to exit. It's on a fairly large scale. If you set it to a smaller ride, just decreasing the time properly, and you can always use timewarping to shape the directions of the element. Hope it helps more than the tutorials. :)

On my computer it just opens up to a empty file.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Posted By: llamaboyOn my computer it just opens up to a empty file.

Open newton, then within newtwon2 open the .newt2 file. For some reason, I've never been able to effectively open a .newt2 file just by clicking on it. Always have to open inside the program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorllamaboy

That worked. I can open most all the other .newt2 without problems, I wonder what made this one not work.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Yeah, newton2 has always been a pain for me. /shrug

Glad you got it opened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

As I've progressed through the ride and gotten past the MCBR, I've come to the point where I want to add a corkscrew, but I can't get the proper shaping out of it. Can anyone help me/give me a tutorial/.newt2 file for assistance?

Regards,
    BBH.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

Entropy has a tutorial on YouTube for corkscrews. A simple search should find it. Personally, I prefer more rollover type elements on my inverts, like on montu, instead of a corkscrew. Are we gunna get to see any pictures of this ride? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBH
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited

I'll try Entropy's tutorial again but I think it's the Invert's funky heartline value that's throwing everything off. I'll also provide some pictures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013

^Make sure you don't use the exact same values like Entropy. You need to adjust those to your circumstances.