Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013

Parc Astérix trip report

Last weekend my girlfriend and I spent two days at Parc Astérix near Paris to pay a visit to OzIris. Originally a trip to Heide Park was scheduled for this fall and Parc Astérix next year, but then Heide Park announced their new winger, so Paris went first. We didn't stay at the park's own hotel "Les Trois Hiboux" but took a hotel directly in the centre of Paris. From Paris you have to start at the "gare du nord" and go to the "Airport Charles de Gaule, Terminal 1&3" by taking the "RER" (the suburban train of Paris,it's not the Metro). That's where the shuttle buses to the park start. You can buy a combined ticket for bus and admission to the Park directly there.

On Saturday the weather was really bad, it rained all day but this had the big benefit that the Park wasn't that crowded as on Sunday with really nice weather but high waiting times. Saturdays waiting times had been between 20-45min for the big attractions, Sunday it was mostly more than one hour for the big ones.

The entrance area of Park Asterix is designed like any other themepark since Disney, with a main street offering several shopping possibilities, mainly the standard stuff: Cups, shirts, stuffed animals (or in this special case -Asterixes, -Obelixes, -menhirs, -walloped romans, ect.) At the upper end the street has the landmark of the park towering above it: a huge Asterix sitting on top of an artificial rock.

The main street itself is very nice going, with some buildings based on the Asterix-series. Of course, one of the most famous buildings, the housing of "Numerobis" the architect in "Asterix and Cleopatra" who is known for his awful awry buildings.

The first Attraction we went to at Saturday and Sunday was Trace Du Hourra, a rather large Mack Bobsled with a nice theming as it makes its way through forest and rocks.

After a fairly tall lifthill (for a Bobsled) it goes through some high helixes with a decent speed what makes the first part of the ride huge fun. After approximately 2/3 or 3/4 of the ride (don't know it exactly) the train hits another brakerun and gets slowed down drastically (the second tallest piece of track at the following picture). After this brake it feels like the train creeps along the track and through the rocks, especially after the fast paced first part of the ride, too bad! Getting totally rid of the braking there might be a little to much, but they should definitely lessen the braking at this point to get the ending of the ride on par with its beginning.

At next we went to the "Menhir Express", the park's logflume. This was quite a bad idea as we became pretty wet and it was still fairly cold, but at least we hadn't to queue long. The station is truly an eye-catcher just as the menhir-shaped boats which could, taking a closer look at them, bear some repainting.

After a quick ride on the Koggenfahrt and the Teacups we passed OzIris (I like it more to keep the most spectacular attraction of a park for a later ride than doing it at the start of the visit) we changed to the other side of the park to take a ride on "Tonnerre de Zeus". On this way we went through a section of the park that wasn't Asterix-themed but Old France and medieval where we took a ride on the ghosttrain.

• CommentAuthorlujach92

Tonnerre de Zeus is located at the back end of the park's Greek area. You can't see much of the coaster from the park because its lifthill crosses a street and the most of the action happens over there. Basically you can see one small bunnyhop which is surrounded by the queueing line and the lifthill, everything else is hidden behind tall trees. It would be nice to have some sort of loophole in the trees to be able to catch a glimpse of the track while queuing. But it might only be us coaster enthusiasts who take advantage of watching a coaster for pastime while waiting for your ride.

The Entrance for Tonnerre de Zeus starts under a huge Zeus-figure. When passing underneath you can see him wearing flowered underwear, one of the plenty eastereggs hidden at the park, I'm going to show you some more I found on OzIris.

Tonnerre de Zeus was my first pre-Colossos woodie, so I was pretty curious what it would be like. The information board tells you to keep your back at the backrest all the time... really, don't do it if you don't want your spine to be crushed, especially during the first drop. Really, this coaster is technically very bad but in a good way, its bold rattling gives you an out-of-control feeling no modern coaster can provide. All curves are packed with rather forceful lats which especially showed to advantage at the spaghetti bowl at the second turnaround of the track. We rode it 3 times, twice on Saturday and once on Sunday where we went to the back row. The back row provides some nice ejector airtime which is, combined with the lapbars that don't tie you down to your seat, just awesome. Maybe one of my favourite rides up to now.

Parc Astérix also owns two kiddie coasters, the smaller one next to OzIris ("SOS Numérobis") had a pretty long line all the time, so we skipped this one but we rode the taller one "Le Vol d'Icare"in the Greek area. Not much to say about this one, but here's a picture.

After a more or less action-packed ride on the kiddie coaster we went on to "Goudurix", the infamous 7-inversion Vekoma-looper.

I was aware of the reputation this coaster has got in terms of its awful (or better its absence of) smoothness so I had a little respect when boarding the train. After I had ridden it several times (3 to be exact, twice on Saturday, once on Sunday) I have to say: really, it isn't that bad. The headrest of the seats are padded very well and I've already been on worse Vekomas, peculiar Superwirbel @ Holiday Park. But sure Goudurix isn't smooth anyway. At the first drop there's a very weird bump on it, it just feels like the train sags a little and then thuds on the rails again.

The first element after the first drop is an element called "Butterfly", definitely the strangest inversion I've ridden up to now. It's a little like an immelman followed by an diveloop, booth shaped really odd. Also not the smoothest thing you can build on a rollercoaster but quite fun to ride. Here's a picture of it and: No, it's not the perspective.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

The Butterfly is followed by a Batwing and a Loop. The first two times we rode in the middle of the train, at least for the first ride on a rollercoaster this is what I do in general. In the middle of the train the forces are most natural, so it's fine to see what the coaster is like. After this first ride I start to try out the other seats.At Sunday Goudurix had been our last ride in the Park and we went to the back row. Well, the back row provides some airtime at the firstdrop, but this was what I had expected. A thing I didn't expected, and this happened really sudden, was a huge spike of positive G's at the loop. RCDB says Goudurix pulls out a max of 3.9G but I'm sure this was a lot more. It felt at least as something more than 5G. My girlfriend called it painful, I called it awesome^^. So, If you're some G-force addicted like me, check out the back seat. I can imagine quite similar forces at the front car, but we didn't had enough time to try this out again.

The last 3 elements of Goudurix are a double Corkscrew with some nasty lats at the lead-in and a helix leading into the final brakes.
    After we had survived Goudurix much better than we expected, it was time for lunch. Regrettably the food at Parc Astérix is the same fast-food stuff than in most other parks, I had expected better of it. You could easily create some Asterix-themed food, grilled boar (or just normal pig, I wouldn't mind) at Gaule, Gyros and stuff like that in Greece, and so on. I think everyone who knows the series is aware of the multitude of possibilities. Well, it's possible to get some pizza in the roman area, but that's all and pizza is also a thing really every park provides.

After lunch we watched one of the park's two shows, settled in a Collosseum-like amphitheater and then, finally, it was time to take a ride on OzIris.

The station of OzIris is shaped like an Egyptian temple and the theming is really perfect here. There are plenty of things you can discover by taking a closer look at the scenery like an obelisk shaped like the Eiffel Tower, or a sphinx giving paw. Take a look at its tongue too.

The story around the coaster is that Iris, the great magician whose gaze no one can withstand tries out a new technique of mass-hypnosis. So theming at this point has nothing to do with "Asterix and Cleopatra".

On a wall of the boarding room they painted roughly the layout of OzIris, written in "hieroglyphics".

The ride itself is huge fun and very smooth, the layout flows nicely. The weird trim brake that seems to be randomly thrown in after the loop doesn't disrupt the flow of the ride and a slow down of the train wasn't noticeable. I don't know why it's there but there will be a reason. Maybe it is only used when the weather is hot like on Expedition Geforce.

After the loop the train is rushing through the Immelman on which I noticed one little strange support. The photo doesn't show it very good, but the front beam is nearly vertical while the one in the back is angled like they're normally. To compensate the vertical one they just threw some additional beam out of square onto it.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

After the Immelman there's an overbank that dives into a foggy tunnel passing underneath an artificial lake they added in front of the station building. I wasn't aware of the air turbulences generated behind the train. There was a small waterfall plummeting into this tunnel, there you could watch them pretty well. The first picture shows the tunnel short before the train passes, the second one short after.

The tunnel leads directly into some Zero-G-Roll. The first half of this element works perfectly but the unbank during the second half felt a little to slow, slight laterals here (checked in on the middle car out+inside seat and on the front car inside seat). The transition between Zero-G and the panoramic curve should be a little tighter to avoid these. The curve itself pulls out more G's as I expected, sure not that powerful but pacing is very nice here and it doesn't just feel like a fill-in.

The Second Zero-G-Roll is my favourite inversion on this coaster, everything perfect here, nothing more to say. As mentioned above we rode OzIris 3 times, twice at the middle and on Sunday we queued for the front row. It was very crowded on Sunday and we waited about 90min to get to the trains, although we watched for the waiting time to be the lowest possible. Arrived at the station after about 90min it took only 15 additional minutes to get to the front car, somehow the extra line for the first car wasn't opened. Since you can't see much whilst not being on the front row on inverters I have to say it's definitely worth the extra waiting time because this coaster type really comes into its own only there, imo.

"Le Grand Splatch" a spillwater boat ride wrapping around the tall rock with the iconic Astérix on the top was out next stop. This ride showed another little weakness of the park as regards theming: Most of the Park itself has got a fantastic scenery but the rides, especially the boat tours barely offer any theming. Sure, you don't need to have animatronics lurking behind every curve for a well-themed ride, but brushwood only isn't very interesting either. Maybe there are some flowers or something like that on summer. Same thing for "Menhir express" by the way, after a awesome themed station there's nothing during the ride. But I don't want to beef all the time and this is really only a little weakness, so here is "Epidemais Crosière" a boat ride with nice scenes from the series which are really fun to watch.

Centerpiece of the park is a recreation of the Gaulish village, somehow it's not opened all the time and we missed it on our first day but we visited it on Sunday.

"L' Oxygenarium" (pinning rapids ride) is the forth Water ride besides "Menhir express", "Le grand Splatch" and "Romulus & Rapidus" (river rapids). In my opinion, this kind of waterride is little strange, it's some of a kind river rapids-waterslide hybrid. Pretty funny, but we rode it only once, due to the rather low capacity of this ride queueing time became fairly long all each afternoon, at the morning you hadn't to wait very long.

At Sunday afternoon we watched the Dolphin show, spectacular to watch and they're really getting fewer in Europe due to animal protection issues. Holiday Park had one long time ago but they closed it for that mentioned reason. Maybe the right thing to do, I'm really no expert at this point and I think you all know the discussion.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

In fact there are even more arenas at Parc Astérix, one with a stunt show and another one at the Gaulish village, but no show setted its place there this year. Actually many restaurants and even one attraction (Les Espions de César) had been closed completely, for the restaurants there might have been too few people to open them all and the ride might have been broken down, but somehow it seemed like they're not operating at all, dunno.

Summarizing I would say that Parc Asterix is definitely worth a trip, not only for coaster enthusiasts. But for them a visit at the park is obligation at least when being around, with Goudurix, Tonnerre de Zeus and, of Course, OzIris it provides 3 truly unique coasters. The thematisation of Parc Astérix is well-made even if some polishing here and there still could improve the overall impression of the Park. The only let down of is the food, I don't think you can balme a themepark for being mean at this point but there is idle potential. The ride portfolio is nice, further additions could be a droptower (One of my favourite rides in general, so I want to have one everywhere) or in terms of a coaster some hyper with nice airtime, with Goudurix and OzIris 12 inversions are already provided, enough for the moment, but it lacks a coaster with focus on airtime so this might be the next big thing.

lujach92
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Great Trip Report, glad you enjoyed the park!

I mostly share your opinion about everything, except Goudurix which I think is waaay more painful than Superwirbel. x)

The Gaulish village is under a rather big refurbishment, hence the closed rides. It would be nice to have some theming along Menhir Express and Le Grand Splash indeed. On the Splash, it used to have many water effects wich made the ride interesting, but they don't work anymore. You're lucky about Epidemaïs Croisière, because it just went back from a refurbishment, animatronics were missing for years, it was really miserable (well there were statues instead, but the scenery was falling apart).

Have you spotted the Tower of Terror elevator door in Oziris' queue line? :D
    Really nice pics man! Thanks for sharing.
    Very nice trip report. :) Do you get wet on OzIris' tunnel exit?
    Glad you had a good time there, thanks for the TR :)

You enjoyed your OzIris ride -- see, this is why I generally think twice about believing enthusiast complaints about coasters. I have heard a lot of things on certain sites about OzIris being rough and boring, but everyone else seems to have a great time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

I take a lot of things the more 'hardcore' enthusiasts say with a pinch of salt. They tend to be desensitised because of the sheer amount they have ridden.

Great TR!
    Posted By: Luisvaldez989 certain sites

TPR (Robb) specifically?

Their slogan should be:

"We hate on anything that isn't Intamin, and we hate some Intamins too. We can't have fun unless we're on Expedition GeForce".

I mean Robb seems like a nice guy, but seriously, he only seems to like Intamins while online..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

I always enjoy detailed trip reports with pictures like this one here. Glad you had a great time in Gaul, thanks for the TR! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited

No, TPR is more like "We like the ride if the park offers us an ERT and some goodies". Really.

Oziris is smooth. Saying you felt some vibrations can be legit (I had a ride with some, but I get those on Manta as well), but saying it's rough is non-sense!

You can find it "boring" if you expect a Montu-like, or anything related to the old-school B&M inverts, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I like the new-gen better, but it's a matter of tastes.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3Have you spotted the Tower of Terror elevator door in Oziris' queue line? :D
    If you're talking about this fancy thing at the ceiling,yes, otherwise: no.

Posted By: Gorres CoastersDo you get wet on OzIris' tunnel exit?
    While riding only a little at the front row, but the exit path that crosses under the track there is splattered with water entirely.

Posted By: Luisvaldez989I have heard a lot of things on certain sites about OzIris being rough and boring, but everyone else seems to have a great time.
    Somehow they're right, I expected the ride to be smoother, for example like Blue Fire which I remember to be very smooth, but the rattling on OzIris is very slight (it's really more a strong vibration than a rattling) and doesn't downgrade the overall ride eperience IMO, so I didn't mention it.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: lujach92If you're talking about this fancy thing at the ceiling,yes, otherwise: no.

Nope, here's it is:

There's even the "Out of order" sign in front of it! :p

On Potionmagix, you can find all the details of the queue-line. And by all the details, I means pictures, concept-arts, floor plans...!
    •  
      CommentAuthors4mumu

Posted By: lujach92
    Posted By: KingRCT3Have you spotted the Tower of Terror elevator door in Oziris' queue line? :D
    If you're talking about this fancy thing at the ceiling,yes, otherwise: no.

This is a reference to MC Escher :

• CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013

@ KingRCT: I didn't realize it to be the door of Tower of Terror. I missed the other two admires of Iris at the right side of the door too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013

There's so much to see in that queue line you can easily miss something. The walls are full of puns!

Oh and by the way, too bad you couldn't watch "Main Basse sur la Joconde", I love that show!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013

(I allow myself to put it here, since it's related to Parc Asterix.)

Check this awesome POV of Oziris by Potionmagix! Not only the camera is right under the track (he did an even higher one though, but not with the GoPro), but it starts from the garage! See how a B&M train gets on the layout: Oziris POV
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Wow, that POV was amazing. I kinda figured that's how the B&M garages worked, except for those little connector pieces that attach and detach the track from a complete connection. Thanks for the share!
    Looks like someone lobs a bucket of water in the bottom right of the screen at 6:01
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Oh yeah. That is strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013 edited

I think it's because the structure had water in it (since it's the first run in the morning), you can hear it drop at 5:28. There, I think it drops into the wheel cover, then drops out at 6:01.

I posted this video on TPR but my message got erased... Uhh...

Anyways, Potionmagix really does a lot of interesting (and funny) videos, such as a view under a tea-cup ride, outside a mad-house, or under Goudurix!

And also some videos to show how rides are started in the morning, with all the procedures, and sometimes... secrets traps!

This one is in front of Oziris and leads to the underwater tunnel, where two sensors have to be daily checked.

Here's the link for these videos, but you have to be registered and understand french (unless for the POV which are labelled [CE]).