Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcoaster-inc
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013 edited

its been in the making for probably 2-3 years when i first started working with the process of no limits tracks to RCT custom tracks and i knew i wanted to make nemesis coz well its just the best ride and has so much going for it in the way of details... at the start of the project i just made the track and got it to work, which was hard enough at the time, but as that got finished, there was just not enough detail to it so working with various members from forums (nldave and then much later Boz from project towers) i have been slowly adding more and more to it...

from the very beginning, was the track:-

photo 1-7.jpg

photo 2-5.jpg

photo attachment.jpg

which as you can see was never really that detailed to begin with in terms of textures, supports or any other scenery and the landscape was just done with the in game land, though later i did add a first gen texture to the track which looked quite good for the time

photo Shot0000-58.png

as time moved on, the first major parts to be added were supports and the lift catwalk. the first gen lift catwalk was very high poly and not overly detailed, and the supports were not really connected to the track so later came the actual connections between support and track:-

photo Shot0001-28.png

photo Shot0005-4.png

photo Shot0004-6.png

then came quite a big pause on track details at the time as i thought they were good enough... which meant i started other things like the station, though only the interior was ever started due to the crazy complexity of the exterior:-

photo NewBitmapImage-58_zpsf6b96bae.jpg

photo station_zpsdc36a79c.jpg

one i had started the station and a few other pieces, it came to me that this wasnt going to just be 1 ride, there were a lot of connecting scenery that flowed into the forbidden valley area so rather than just a ride, i would make the whole area! this is when project Nem 20 was born, and it gave me a time scale to work with, nem20 refering to nemesis's 20th anniversary in 2014.

the first connecting CS to be made was the helix fence and path:-

photo turn_zps6480eb00.jpg

and as i knew there would be a huge amount of other things to make, i turned my attention to trying to make a ride, ripsaw, the very first shot of it, which was also the first in game test was this:-

photo Shot0000_zps2f688c40.png

after ripsaws first test, i went back to working on nemesis where there was quite a lot of progress made on the models before i showed anything. the landscaping was being started, i was playing with the idea of how to make the waterfalls, and the first remake of the lift hill catwalk had taken place to reduce poly, clean up and retexture:-

photo NewBitmapImage_zps61f6230e.png

photo 1_zps3c654fa3.jpg

photo a2c27f1d-c61b-4d8b-a687-11a93a616394_zps1b9a7247.jpg

photo 3_zps043fea1e.jpg

photo 5_zpsbe54352f.jpg

photo 5_zpsbe54352f.jpg

photo 4_zps69cde2f1.jpg

photo Shot0000_zps42e97912.png

while working on the landscape, the queue line was always in the back of my mind, and i knew i wanted to make it peep friendly which meant having to be restricted to 4x4m path blocks that couldnt do diagonals... so there was me stumped on how i was going to do certain parts of it coz they had to be diagonal... after thinking how can i do it, i went into the game and studied the path and how peeps walked on it, and the queue line... which lead to me being able to see that they walked diagonally when the path is stepped so i was able to do the queue that goes below the loop:-

photo NewBitmapImage_zps87bb12b9.jpg

after having worked quite a while with the blood tests to which there are videos on youtube, i had finally found a decent texture and settings combination... for a while i did a lot of work with ripsaw then turned my attention to starting blade.

photo NewBitmapImage_zps002b0037.png

photo ripsaw_zps01d7713f.jpg

photo rip_zps7b174373.jpg

photo Shot0001_zps4f47b9f1.png

photo NewBitmapImage_zpse1cee79d.png

photo 1_zpsca75fd23.jpg

photo 2_zpsb362dcb3.jpg

photo 3_zps5b25d37b.jpg

photo Shot0000_zps42e97912.png

now that i had started more of the area with regards to the rides, their surrounding areas needed to be created, spent quite a bit of time working on them:-

photo 1_zpsdc911441.jpg

photo 1_zps60ef5431.jpg

photo 2_zps46773107.jpg

photo 1_zps4d98087a.jpg

photo 3_zps5f378565.jpg

at this point in the time scale was when i introduced my project to the virtual towers project and started talking to Boz... he appreciated the amount of work i had put in and wanted to help so gave me his forbidden valley mock up for sub terror so i could use it to help me progress with mine. i used a few bits and pieces from the file but they needed tweeking so more RCT friendly, like the drill piece at the top of the valley, started out at 164000 poly which was just impossible to use so spending quite a while editing it, i got it down to 25000 which for those in the modeling world is a HUGE achivement. also from boz's great work i was able to get the archway, edge arcade, blade valley, the burger kitchen, fences, gardens, game stalls and rock work all done around this point, a lot of work took place:-

photo arch_zps696ff206.jpg

photo 1_zps81c40df3.jpg

photo NewBitmapImage_zpsf728e183.png

photo 1_zpsf942eb5d.jpg

photo 2_zps3a40a6e4.jpg

photo 3_zps7f9ca76e.jpg

photo NewBitmapImage_zpsa0974589.png

photo NewBitmapImage_zps395d54b0.png

photo 2_zps1745ede7.jpg

photo Shot0002_zps2c6aee45.png

photo Shot0003_zpsde1334bb.png

photo Shot0000_zpsf12ed03a.png

having spent a long time on all the surrounding area, i decided to go back to nemesis itself and after going to the park to take research photos and various detail notes, it was time to update the track... this meant a new texture for the track, rails and supports, and i created bolts that hold the track pieces together:-

photo 1_zpsfb4cf3a0.jpg

photo Shot0001_zps5bfb6c07.png

now that the track had a bit of an overhaul, and i had some photos of other bits and pieces to work from, i started to add more details like signs, entrance arch, photo shop, walkway cages :-

photo NewBitmapImage_zps10bdaa11.png

now brings it up to not really that long ago where things started to take a big leap forward in detailing. brakes, friction wheels, and a completely custom made train to fit the track. i also changed the track texture again and this time it is actually made from a photo of the real track :-

photo b2_zpsc97af9d5.jpg

photo NewBitmapImage_zps15e89071.png

photo Shot0000_zps1ecbda54.jpg

photo 1_zps19161fec.jpg

more details and big chunks of things have been worked on like the maintainence shed, footers, landscaping,

photo 1_zps3ee19b48.jpg

photo 2_zps3bfdfa3e.jpg

photo 4_zps7093950a.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013

html please!

photo 5_zps7d19540e.jpg

now brings us up to date to what has been happening. the station!! i have been putting this off for as long as i possibly can just due to the fact it will be crazy difficult to make, however i have so far got all 6 legs done and they are pretty much as perfect as they are gonna get with the limitations of how the track is, the size of the station and so forth:-

photo 3_zps6569a440.jpg

photo 2_zpsf7d5092c.jpg

and the the last thing to have just been done is the CT is fully working in game, there were some rather interesting glitches while it was in production like the train ran backwards, the peeps were sat upside down under the train, there was even a stage where it would speed up going up hill and slow down going down hill, which lead to it going back and forth at the top of the first corkscrew, was rather funny to watch at the time and just before everything was sorted, the last glitch was that just the back car was backwards, which wouldn't be a bad thing to happen in real life now would it:-

photo 1_zps7df41efd.jpg

and a short teaser trailer to show the ctr and track in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=f_jA-JPG3z0

so there we go, the whole story of how project nem 20 has been going so far and will be updated on here again and hopefully people will see it more for what it really is now. thanks for reading, comments eagerly appreciated and more updates to come soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Firstly, this is incredible. It's amazing the amount of work. Though, if you can do this in RCT. Why not in no limits? I think the supports need some texture. They have a lot of rust effect on then in real life.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

Amazing work coaster-inc! I haven't been in Alton Towers yet but It really seems like you don't miss any detail of this iconic ride. I would love to see you bringing this ride to NL too!
    rct is, for CS work, i find easier than no limits coz of the way no limits messes with textures and shading, and the alignments of bits and pieces getting it all together... plus i want it to be in a full running park at the end of the day, to build the whole of Alton towers...

and as for the rust on the supports, yeah they should be more rusty, i have kinda taken the almost cheating way out using an easily apply-able repeatable texture rather than one that needs custom mapping on every single support over and over... so in my head im making the track as it was when new rather than aged as it is now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Posted By: coaster-incrct is, for CS work, i find easier than no limits coz of the way no limits messes with textures and shading, and the alignments of bits and pieces getting it all together... plus i want it to be in a full running park at the end of the day, to build the whole of Alton towers...
    You could do that in NL2, though. haha

Looks very intriguing and promising. That scenery work is just impressive!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Wow, this looks incredible!
    Poor ol' Gorres Coaster missed out on this!
    i have thought about NL2, the biggest problem is the track is a different size to the one in NL itself, coz it was scaled a couple of times over the creation period so its not technically right... though i could put all the CS around a track that is about the same size in NL, maybe... though nl2 is more likely a better option to work with coz that way i can finish everything first then look at how it will all get imported into a new, much better looking engine... who knows, maybe what i could do is finish it all first for rct then pass it on to someone to put into NL...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

This is very good, great job! (take that TPS!)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Yeah Archy, thank god Gorres isn't around here anymore.

Fantastic work inc!
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Question, once you've built it all, could you not assemble it in Sketchup and then export the whole lot as one large 3DS file (sans track, obviously), then just import it all in to NL as one file? I guess it wouldn't be great for optimisation but it'd save the hard work of individually placing everything in NL?

Overall, this looks amazing though. I haven't kept up with RCT3 for about 5 years, it's crazy how far it's come in terms of customisation. Do ripsaw and blade work as well, or are they just static objects?
    everything is technically already in 1 sketchup file all together so wouldn't be hard to export as 1 object, though like you say it would be very unoptimized... and ripsaw and blade, i would like them to be rides but i need to find an animator, and unfortunately all those that are on the rct forums that know how to do it don't like me for what i try to achieve in the game coz its not following "their" rules about low poly, customizable, not ripping from no limits and all that rubbish that has put me well out of the popular click of people that know how to do things that i don't... so as it stands they don't but fingers crossed by the time the project is released, they will be working rides...
    Hello there coaster-inc! Good to see you here! I have said it before, but I'll say it again, you are doing an amazing job with this... You are superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013

Awesome work! Now if I could only do something like this for my soon-to-be-started Bizarro project for NL2!
    Posted By: The_ArchitectPoor ol' Gorres Coaster missed out on this!

Actually, this entire project has been on RealTycoon3 where Gorres has been for a while :/

From following this at RealTycoon3 to here, you've made a lot of progress! Nice to see you at this website as well :)
    thanks for all the nice comments so far, hopefully the next set of updates will be just as appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013

Hi coaster-inc,

i´m sure they will and i too have to say that it looks great. What an ambitious project....wow. I have never played RCT3, so i wonder how this rides ingame. The physics will probably be the ones from the game(so not realistic), but does it ride fluent like the nl-original?
    WOW! That's some really awesome stuff right there.

Also, don't mean to explode the forums again, but what was everyone's deal with NL imports into RCT3? I think it looks great? I didn't read too much into that argument so I'm kind of confused... Anyway, just curious... :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013 edited

Something to do with copyright issues? Think it might be akin to the whole tools vs. hand building that used to go on with NL.
    the whole NL to rct arguments originally started off as copy write that the models were not allowed to be taken from NL and manipulated, but they emailed oled and he said its OK but don't use the ones that came with nl as an installation like kumba and stuff, so then people went to saying copy write of tracks if they were downloaded and didn't get permission from the original creator to use them but that's also wrong coz if its a recreation, they don't technically own the copy write in the first place due to it being a real ride but no one seemed to see that far... then came the high polys of the track and that the rct engine cant support that kind of level and must be stopped and hand modeled ones would always be lower poly, and finally they don't like the fact its not customizable and that its pointless to have 1 track...

so all in all certain people would make it their job to force my work to be classed as bad and hated on certain forums, one of which i even got banned from for actually sticking up for myself against a mod who as per usual was just some kid with too much power... but i have been fighting against it since and still produce my models, i have created a lot of tracks for the game, ok some have come out better than others but i still put the huge amount of work that it takes to turn a track into a CT for the community, and nemesis being my favorite ride is the one that i wanted to make into something for the next level, but even that is still getting hated on some forums for the high polys of the details that i put it... not that anyone actually looks at what the poly count really is... 300-400k for the whole lot not including the train i think is a fantastic achievement so far for what is in it.

sorry for the rant, just winds me up about how much iv had to fight against with the work iv done and no one every listening to the logical side to it so i end up going off a bit trying to get my point across...

on a much lighter note, as the pictures have shown there is a huge amount more to build and i could really use some help with this project so if there is any modelers on here that want to help then i would really appreciate it, and for those that do help there will be a gold plaque made and put into the download of all of those that provide their help and what they did for the project. models that need to be made are not all crazy complex but there is a lot more to do, its all in the details.
    I think we as a community don't really care about any of those issues...we just like to see cool things. What you're doing...it's a cool thing. Please keep going and updating us on said cool thing.

:)
    first update, been working on the station a bit, trying to work out how to do its crazy complexity... think iv got a good start so far though...

photo 1_zps970d469f.jpg

photo 2_zpsedc421ab.jpg

photo 3_zps34731041.jpg

the only problem is due to the restrictions of rct, the roof spine to keep it in the center, the doorway is now off center... but i think once everything is in place it shouldn't be too noticeable.
    I am so excited you can't believe! It shouldn't be too much of a problem with the door off-center.
    started the side this evening, spent about 2hrs working it out so far...

photo NewBitmapImage_zpse3f3d482.jpg

photo 2_zps6b6eac1c.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013

Absolutely amazing job, can't wait for the final product !
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013

Comparing to pictures of the real thing this seems to be very accurate. Someone who actually rode Nemesis can probably give you better feedback, but I think this will turn out really great nevertheless. Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

For someone who has ridden Nemesis nearing 100 times it's pretty damn spot on. The area as a whole just looks so similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

Couldn't agree more with Arly. I've only been on Nemesis around 70 + times, but, even the work with the landscape is bang on, great job :)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013

"Only" he says. You guys are calling 70 like it's no achievement when I've never been on it once. Looks awesome coaster-inc!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Sundays and the single rider queue = getting at least 20 runs in an hour or so. Easy peasy ;)

I prefer Oblivion though.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I'm so jealous of your placement.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

I thought I'd done well to rack up 10 laps on it :( then again it is a 4 hour drive there for me...

Looks damn near spot on coaster-Inc, love it! Will you be releasing a video of it once it's finished at all?
    thank you all for your great comments, i have worked really hard on this to do it as much justice as i can do for its 20th anniversary, specially as iv been riding it for 19 of those 20yrs (wasn't tall enough in 1994 so had to ride the beasty while mum and sister went on it, sad times)

and sprog, as regards to a video yes but not only that, the whole project will be available to download and use for everyone's enjoyment, i have never liked the idea of creating something only to keep it for yourself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013 edited

Is the track heartlined? I keep staring at the zero G roll and it seems to be not. I once have seen a nemesis recreation that was not heartlined in the version I had so you might have used that one. You wrote that the track is yours though, could you tell us a bit more about your recreation process?
    the track building process was a very long time ago, the building of it itself did start off with a version that was available on the forums though it had some areas edited to line up more with the rct tile system, which meant the station had to be a specific length and moved to the center of the tile... i also had the brake run altered many times so it was more i dont know "right" kinda thing... though the track did have a few issues when taking it from NL through the con kit with the roll settings which is why the 0g roll came out a little iffy...

in hindsight i would have edited the track more in the way of getting the track right but this project was started a veeeery long time ago so it just got left.... plus due to the way the track from NL had to be scaled at the time to fit rct cars, it got edited so much that it was impossible to keep re editing once imported... and more CS was created around that model so again wasnt gonna change...

once in game when everything will be built around the track, it wont look so "wrong" coz everything will be built around it in the way that it should be so it will look right in the end...
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch

I see you are concentrating on the scenery around the track, which looks awesome already, whereas I am more interested in the trackwork and how close you got it compared to the original.
    @Coaster-inc, did you make the actual track work or was it a pre existing nltrack made by another user?
    ^ i have a hunch that its phyters recreation

i love this but can you please sort out the loop supports, the rest is perfect but those supports are really bugging me :P
    not pyther from here but i did get help from a member of other forums called ullumbrospictures, he also helped do a lot of the train... and whats wrong with the loop supports?
    It's the box section, it's much too thick and I would even question that the support tubes are slightly too thin. See this image here:

And you can see in this picture that the box section is no thicker than the depth of a single car:
    oh yeah, well thats an easy enough fix just to shrink them, im still doing little bits and pieces on everything so thats simple enough to change...
    decided to see what this would look like in a better game engine so here is a teaser.... NL2 anyone?

photo NewBitmapImage_zpse1c1bca7.jpg
    What the?......
    Hi themepark studio