Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013 edited

Most likely one of my last major projects in NL, although most likely will spill into NL2.

Wavelength Enterprises presents one of their first major roller coasters, High Roller! Modeled after the Arrow Pipeline coaster line that never was, this ride has the signature Pretzel Loop from Pipeline concepts and an exciting barrel roll, all while retaining a fun, exciting layout at the same time!

The layout

The cartexture. A bit simplistic, but I like it

The Pretzel Loop. The sign is in the process of having it's shadows removed (thanks Elvenage!)

Supports modeled after the original Pipeline concept

Turn and MCBR

There is a tunnel test issue, but keep in mind riders arms would be about at the level of the wheel carriages, so people will most likely not be able to hit it

First Barrel Roll, last inversion

Airtime finale

Now note that all the sections with crossties have to be there. For the rolls, if I split the segments it would screw up the shaping. The brake runs will not stop unless there is a segment of track not split up. Footers are from L Bosch's set, sign by me and Elvenage. There will be track connectors and crossties, most likely made by someone else. I am also in the process of planning another Pipeline coaster with a much more intense layout, but that will probably be done in NL2. Thanks for taking a look at one of my most prized coasters ever!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

That looks great!
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

Oh, so this is the project that sign is going to. Neat! I'll make sure I can get it all fixed up for you so we can see the beat come to life. :)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013

I wasn't satisfied with the name, theme, colors... pretty much everything about High Roller. Thus, I changed everything to Lung Tien! New color scheme, new cartextures, new theme, all of that.

New colors

New cartexture, still WIP of course.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides

That looks really interesting! The new colors are so much better. I like the dragon ;) There is already much work to see, keep up the good work! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Hope you'll find how or someone to make you custom ties because that ride has a huge potential!

The new theme is really cool, but I find the colors a little tad too dark (especially after looking to the older pictures, lol). Maybe with a lighter grass it could looks good, though.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013 edited

Well, I want kind of a dark tone to it, specifically because the Lung Tien's colors are dark blue and black. Also I plan on doing bright red chinese buildings. And yeah, I do need to get working on those crossties! :P

Thanks Magu!
    Really dig the cartexture - it's simple but effective. Colors are nice. I'm still skeptical about the ride but I'll have to download it to see it for myself. I think the supports are overdone but not in a bad way... oddly aesthetic. Look forward to seeing how this one turns out.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

When I first started doing supports, I thought "how should I do this?" and decided to make them as overkill as possible. Glad you like them though, that's a big relief.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013

Made a little Morgan Hyper-Lite. I really like the layout, but it's pretty rough and not smooth. If anyone wants to take a look at it or help smooth it out, just whisper me. It'd be a shame for this to go away.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited

Alright, so as many of you don't know know, I happen to be in Orlando right now. Today, we took a drive over to Fun Spot America, home to a custom GCI Out-and-Back woodie, a Vekoma Family Invert, and some flatrides. Now sorry folks, no pictures this time, but I'll post a few a bit later

Let me first start off by saying, his park is fantastic. I expected it to be one of those crummy little fun zones with laser tag and go-karts, but one that happened to have some nice roller coasters. When we got in, the exact opposite was in observation. The park is beautifully kept up. Everything is so pristine, all the paint is fresh, not a piece of trash on the ground in sight, the paths are very nice cobblestone, great landscaping, great buildings, subtle theme, and a special atmosphere that was there even though there were maaaybe like 15 staff members in total and no people. The entrance building is a beautiful art deco/modern kinda thing with bright oranges and yellows, and there are some very subtle 50's America themes going on like old Mountain Dew posters and White Lightning's theming. The park was empty, but that might have been the fact it is offseason and it was almost 50 degrees outside. When you walk in, the coasters are both instantly to the left and flat rides scattered around a large water feature. Behind the pond there is a 50's diner building with the 250 ft. Skycoaster on top, and behind even more are go-karts, kiddie rides, and a little Miler oval coaster. (Yay credit) Now like I said there were a few families scattered here and there, but it was empty. There was no one there at all. I assume because of this, not counting the ticket chick and the trapeze guys, there were maybe 15 or 20 staff on hand operating things. It kid of gave a bit of a personal feel, because you had to know who to talk to to get on a ride. I kind of liked it, it was a really hometown/small park feel. A lot of the rides were just abandoned there, sitting, ready to operate with no ride-op. As mentioned, you had to know who to talk to to get on the rides. We had to get the fried candy stall guy to operate the Enterprise! We also had to get the Paratrooper guy to hop around to like three different unmanned rides with us to operate them. There were of course people at all times at White Lightning and Freedom Flyer, and no lines made seamless operations for the two. Still on staff, while the park was slow as all things holy and they had to run from one side of the park to operate different rides, they were the friendliest staff ever! They were so cheerful and so helpful, they were amazing staff. But anyways, enough random gabbing from me, I'll give some of those ride description thingy's that people seem to think are "cool".

White Lightning- 7.0
    It's fairly short in both height and ride time, but I loved every second of it. GCI has swooped in from the bottom and proven to us that tiny Out-and-Backs can be fun! This was honestly a great ride. It is packed full of airtime, tight corners, and that veeeeery slight amount of roughness that makes it really fun but still comfortable to ride. You are never in your seat, much like all of the GCI coasters. The only part was that turnaround. Don't get me wrong, the 90 degrees was awesome, but it was taken just slow enough that the cars fell to one side onto the side friction wheels creating a really uncomfortable jerk.

Freedom Flyer- 5.0
    I was fairly surprised at this! It's a family coaster, but a fairly intense one. Not intense really, but just thrilling. Especially in the back seat you get whipped around the corners quite a bit, and there's some decent airtime.

Enterprise- 6.0
    It's an Enterprise, but my first one ever, and I loved it! It was great fun but terrifying at the same time. I was a bit disappointed with the ride cycle though, because you were only vertical for about two rotations.

Other Flats- 4.0 - 5.0
    The others were standard Flats, Ripcurl, Paratrooper, Scrambler, and Tilt-a-Whirl. Ripcurl, a Himalaya, was way too rough for how new it was. Scrambler was running fairly slow, and Tilt-a-Whirl was just that. Paratrooper though was pretty cool, it never settled down and was only at full tilt. It was pretty cool though, because they ran you backwards a few rounds as well as forward.

And so, that is it. My trip report of the great Fun Spot U.S.A. I would recommend this park to anyone. It was so fun, had great rides and coasters, fair prices, and amazing staff to go with it all. And with this, let me give my final words, which are a tl;dr:

tl;dr: Fun Spot is Cool.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014 edited

Alright, now it's time for Busch Gardens Trip Report! This was my first time ever going to BGT, and I was insanely excited for this trip there.

Now this, this is the most beautiful park I have ever been to. The landscaping is beautiful! I was in love with Stanleyville and the area around Kumba, the trees were fantastic and made the two rides. I really loved the mix of rides and animals, although I do wish there were more flat rides. I have to say, honestly, the staff members weren't the nicest. They weren't mean, but they didn't seem to really care all that much. It might have been because it was a rainy day. But that was just a few ride ops, all the others were very nice and helpful. The weather was nice and gloomy, setting a very nice atmosphere for the park it would already have. The theming was stunning, and really helped with the landscaping to make this a gorgeous park. Now this will have much less of this part so people will actually read it, so now onto ride things.

I used wither KingRCT's or Elvenage's technique to go counter-clockwise. Can't remember who it was, but you both gave tips so thanks to you both. I'm not going to rate the rides, because there are too many to rank, and they were all amazing.

Cheetah Hunt:
    Wow, this ride is much better than the POV's. This thing is an airtime machine, and only Intamin can give you airtime on a banked hill! The barrel roll provided some awesome hangtime as you just creep over the top, and the launches were all really cool and forceful. This was a great family ride that maintains being calm while utilizing exciting elements and airtime.

Montu:
    Definitely the best Invert I have ever been on. This absolutely blows Great Bear and Silver Bullet out of the water, especially in the back seat where I rode. So many forces in the back, and the Batwing was fantastic as the front whips you down into the trench. This ride was butter smooth even on the Zero-g which was fabulous. This is a must do for anyone, and instantly shot it's way up to my favorite Invert of all time.

Scorpion:
    I was actually really looking forward to this, as it was my first true Schwarzkopf Looper, as I don't really count Revolution. I enjoyed it a lot, the loop was really forceful and the helix at the end was awesome. It was a pretty good ride, not really anything special.

Sand Serpent:
    What can I say? It was a Wild Mouse. I enjoyed it.

Kumba:
    This was as brilliant as everyone has ever hyped it up to be, but it doesn't push Kraken out as my favorite B&M Looper. They both tie in my mind. Kumba has far better elements and in a better sequence at that, but it was running fairly rough that day. I almost got a tiny headache, there was quite the headbanging. It might have been that I was in the very front, but I still really liked this. It was a lot of fun.

Sheikra:
    (No, I do not capitalize the K.) This... This was my absolute favorite ride of the whole day, almost of all time! I sat in the front row on the very right, and it was such the experience dangling over the 90 degree drop. The airtime you got on both drops was just absolutely brilliant, some of the most airtime I've ever gotten next to Full Throttle. I loved this ride and could ride it again and again, and this only bodes well for when I get to ride Griffon!

Wild Surge:
    Yes, I put this up against these giants. Why? Because I rode it and it was fun. I'm in love with these Moser mini-bounces, they provide an astounding amount of airtime.

Air Grover:
    Another one I put on here because I can, it was pretty fun, and I *think* my first Tivoli.

Gwazi:
    I enjoyed this ride exponentially. It jackhammered like mad hell, but It actually didn't bother me. It was the same amount of roughness likened to Wildcat at Hershey, where it's enough to make the ride insane but not enough to give me a mad raging headache. I would have liked to experience this duel, as it was pretty weird to race around the spaghetti bowl being "chased" by an empty track. But it is a great ride standalone even, and I'd ride it over and over again.

So anyways, this was my day at Busch Gardens Tampa. I didn't include the enclosures, but I can make some if you want me to. Thanks Busch Gardens for providing me with a fantastic, empty, walk-on day! And also, thank you guys for reading these two trip reports of two great parks!
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014

I agree with you about Montu. Everyone raves about Raptor being the best invert because it's at the most popular park in the world but Montu is definitely the best one out there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014 edited

Posted By: JAKoolI used wither KingRCT's or Elvenage's

Not mine, for sure! x)
    My day at BGT: At noon (despite being on site since the opening hour), all we rode was Sand Serpent and the auto-scooters! The auto-scooters!! Thanks Florida's thunderstorms...
    Finally we could be able to ride Cheetah, Sheikra and Gwazi, but we missed Scorpion, Kumba and Montu... And all the exteriors I can say.

So I'm glad you enjoyed your day(s)! FunSpot seems like a nice surprise from what I thought it was as well. Makes me want to go there, although a GCI and a suspended Vekoma are not something that will makes me travel across the ocean again.

Thanks for the TRs, it was a pleasure to read them. Maybe a few pics will help next time, though.. =)
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014

Glad my tip could help!
    Sounds like you had an awesome time at BGT!
    Love all of your ride summaries, and you must have a hard head if Gwazi wasn't that bad ;)

If you happen to hit up Universal or IoA, give me a hollar; I'd love to join you! (Also my pref pass makes tickets cheaper hehe)
    Posted By: JAKoolKumba:
    This was as brilliant as everyone has ever hyped it up to be, but it doesn't push Kraken out as my favorite B&M Looper. They both tie in my mind. Kumba has far better elements and in a better sequence at that, but it was running fairly rough that day. I almost got a tiny headache, there was quite the headbanging. It might have been that I was in the very front, but I still really liked this. It was a lot of fun.

Everyone says this. Am I the only one that still finds Kumba to be just fine? After the refurb a couple years ago, anyway. I went to BGT a little over a week ago during Christmas Break and it seemed perfectly fine to me. I've been to BGT more than any other park (seriously, I've been probably about 35-40 times). I sometimes found it had a very slight bite, but only because it was so intense, causing your body to compress and move side-to-side a bit. I think most of where headaches come from is lightheaded-ness, because Kumba absolutely rips through all of its elements compared to any other B&M. It's especially noticeable in the corkscrews and turnaround. I always felt like Montu's big moments of pause (MCBR, and slow post-loop turn and dip) and less "consistently intense" elements were the reasons it was more re-rideable. Montu has lots of breakups in the layout, and also has more "peaky" forces - the inversions have more hangtime and/or light forces. Kumba is pretty much all-around positive-G intense, all the time.

For me, both the front seat and back seat are real experiences to have on Kumba. I feel like you can see so much more in the front of a sit-down than an invert because you can look up a lot more and see the real size of everything as you're upside down. The back, however, is pretty amazing. Back outside seat on that ride is furious and it really pulls you through everything because it's already going pretty fast to start with. I always felt like Kumba was a scaled-up, longer version of Batman, because on Batman you pretty much never experience airtime - just insane positives that don't end (except for one breakup).

I rode Kraken a few times a couple years ago and I was extremely disappointed, perhaps because I was expecting another Kumba. The first half was almost boring to me. It's out in the plains, and the inversions taken not slowly but not quickly. The end was a decent finish, but it felt very broken up like Montu and I had too much space to breathe. While ordinary design says this is a good thing, it's one of the reasons I absolutely love Kumba - it's (generally) relentless in the same sense as Batman and Nemesis. You never really see it in POVs but it's definitely present when you ride.

With the strength, layout & progression, scenery, etc - it has and always will be one the rides on the top of my list. It sits there with Maverick and The Voyage - two other (generally) relentless rides.

I feel like it has, in a way, tainted all other B&Ms for me. Now I treat most B&Ms like a nice, soft, comfortable ride with some decent forces, but god I wish they would go back to the days where they were a little more ballsy.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014

Thanks King!

Not going to IoA this trip, but I'll be coming back out in April. I'll be with family members though, so I don't know what will happen.

All fair points AJ, I agree with pretty much everything you say. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely loved Kumba. It was a fantastic ride. I think because Kraken was the first mega looper I went on, I got used to large flowy elements like Riddler's Revenge instead of balls-to-the walls B&M's like Kumba. I don't know why it was headbanging so much, could have been the slight rain, or anything really. But the only reason I think Kraken matches Kumba is because of that slight roughness. I thought it was an amazing coaster, and it's still fun to ride the NL coasters IRL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014

Kumba has definitely gotten a little rough in the past couple of years, but it isn't bad. It does have some strange off days though where it is unusually rough for no apparent reason. Also, there is a pretty big difference in headbanging between the outer seats and the inner seats, especially on the corkscrews.
    Posted By: rcrider4Also, there is a pretty big difference in headbanging between the outer seats and the inner seats, especially on the corkscrews.

I can agree there is a little "headbanging" on the corks in the outer seats. Still though, the "headbanging" experienced on Kumba is so far less than other coasters that headbang you around, so I almost never call it that. Ride any Vekoma or Arrow - those are real headbangers. Your head bumps into the sides a little but on Kumba but it's pretty much comparable to any Intamin OTSR coaster (or even less!) so it struck me as odd to consider it that way. Maybe it's just one of the rougher B&Ms so people's expectations glass smoothness do not meet reality.

I also agree with the points you guys have brought up. I feel like almost all the days I have ridden it, the ride has been 95% smooth. It does have rougher days, however. Maybe some trains are better than others?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014

Kumba IS 21 years old, you have to remember that. It's like Nemesis, you couldn't call it smooth anymore, but compared to a brand new SLC or Intamin, they are glass smooth for thier age.

It's also a differen't kind of 'rough'. It's an intense kind that adds to the experience and you don't need to brace for it. This kind in my opinion is actually wanted.
    Posted By: UncleArlyIt's also a differen't kind of 'rough'. It's an intense kind that adds to the experience and you don't need to brace for it. This kind in my opinion is actually wanted.

Yeah, this was the main point I was trying to make. It has more bite than new B&M's, but new B&M's are almost boring because they're so calculated and bland. In compliments to B&M, most people use the words "smooth" and "comfortable", but never "intense" or "thrilling" anymore. Back in the 90's they used all four.

And yeah, it's pretty remarkable how it's held up for over 2 decades. Hopefully it can last another before Busch decides to axe it, but I don't think they're really keen to getting rid of it. They've held on to Scorpion for quite some time, so they like their classics.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014

They day they take the axe to Kumba is the day I stop going to BGT, unless they plan on a major refurb for it. Kumba is literally a legendary staple in B&M's books and BGT.

And as for new B&M's, you're right AJ. Take Manta for example, the ride is a huge bore except for the pretzel loop, and it's only intense in rows 6-8 and at the base of the loop, other than that I could literally fall asleep on the ride.
    At least Manta's a flying coaster so that's pretty cool, but for the loopers - they're getting stale nowadays. Looks like they're changing their game though - Banshee looks promising.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014

Made a little flyer in NL2 called Sandworm. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out so far. It won't be released, that is, unless I find inspiration for the rest of the layout.

Layout

First two overbanks

Underground Pretzel Loop
    The 1st drop isn't a half-pretzel? What a bore! I could fall asleep riding this thing. :P

The ride looks pretty good! I think the semi-underground pretzel loop would feel awesome IRL. How fast does the ride go during that low-lying turn after the 1st turnaround?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^Not sure the exact speed, but it actually rides pretty slow. The pacing is more Manta-ish than anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

That ride reminds me of Journey. This sure is an unique setting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Great environment and nice colours! However, I think this shouldn't be a flying coaster as you are in the tunnels for a quite a long time, and this kinda defeats the purpose of a flying coaster in my opinion. It's your coaster, though - and you are allowed to do anything with it. ;) Love the layout regardless.

^That's the most beautiful and most amazing game I've ever played (no, NL 2 isn't a game ... haha).
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

inspiration for the layout: maybe make this the second half of a two-lift flyer? the first half could be some more above ground turns and corkscrews/in-line twists, and then this is the second half with the final brakes where your track ends right now. i think the two short lifts would be a cool concept for a flyer.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Posted By: baadrixI think this shouldn't be a flying coaster as you are in the tunnels for a quite a long time, and this kinda defeats the purpose of a flying coaster in my opinion.

I agree, and I had some second thoughts, but I feel a Flyer works best for kind of like a worm style train/coaster.

@sky, that could be a cool idea, but I kind of want most of it to be underground. You guys will all understand when theming comes.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014

Sorry for the double post, but sprog wanted this tutorial so I figured I'd just put it here.

How to Make Vekoma Family Invert Lift I-Beam Thingy

First, make your coaster, hidden Vekoma track, etc. etc.
    1. Hide everything that has a mechanism, so station, curve to lift, and lift itself. Don't make this invisible yet.
    2. Make an element of everything you just hid, and make a new coaster. I titled it B&M overlay.
    3. Place the element in the coaster you just created it, and position over the lift of the original track. This is why we didn't hide that track yet. Now select the B&M track and make the spine "Lowered I-Beam" This is the most important step!
    4. Go back to the original coaster and now make the segments invisible.
    5. Add a new track, I called it Tires. Select the Maurer Sohne X-Car track, and add in that lift element. Line it up the same as the B&M track and flip it upside down. Make the station area a brake segment and enable brakes and tires. The speed doesn't matter at all. Now add some evenly spaced transport segments. Note, Vekoma uses several tire sets on the lifts, keep that in mind! You don't need to edit them at all.
    6. An alternative to Maurer Sohne track could be more motorbike track, and mess around with the transports to make the tires closer together.

AAAAAND You're done!

Hope this helped sprog, and anyone who may use it, and sorry if it is (it is) really confusing and hard to understand.

The flyer reminds me of Scorponok.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Makes sense to me, cheers JAKool! Should be much faster (and look a lot better) than trying to line up a whole host of I-Beams to the lift hill... I'll post up my results tomorrow :)
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Haha, cool! Glad you liked it!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014

"Oh hey, it's that guy! Wait, he's actually doing something?"

Yes, I did something. Yes, I promise I'll finish this one! :D

This is an Intamin Mega-Lite named Apollo which may or may not be themed off of this. It will be synced to that song nonetheless though.

The ride feature a working cable lift made by the NLE resident genius, TheCodeMaster.

And a final question, would a support like this be okay?

Constructive Criticism is appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe

Everything looks good to me. I like the layout, it seams like it has allot of airtime witch a mega lite should always have. I really like the song you picked out to lol. The only thing that looks a little funny is the transition into the ending brakes. just a tip for future reference add some color weather it bee in the track or scenery, you don't want things to look to dull.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Thank you! The transition is a bit funny, but it's worsened by the FOV. It rides well though. The colors are final, but there should be more color in theming.

And on that note, do you guys think that the ride should be a generic space center theming, like Mission Discovery, or based on the music video I posted?
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe

I think a retro Disneyland tomorrow land in the 60 to 70s era would be really cool to theme a ride off of. the video for the music kinda has that feel as well.

I agree with 1blueshe. That sounds awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited

Looks very nice, I don't see anything wrong with the transition into brakes (Look to the Mack MegaLite at Ningoland transition into brakes to see something that looks wrong). About the support structure... It looks undersupported to me. What about something like this?

Qgcs ZN31
    Posted By: dapalmI don't see nothing wrong

So, you see something wrong? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited

Ups, sorry, english is not my first language :) Fixed.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014

I do think the theming is a good idea, but I kind of wanted a more modern/sleek design for this one. I'll definitely think about that one though!
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014

If your not gonna use the retro 60's Disneyland tomorrow theming I'm gonna take it lol. I was kinda mad I told you because I like the idea so much haha.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014

Worked a bit on supports.

• CommentTimeJul 20th 2014

Looking good so far. Your theming better be good! You've got some great opportunities for coaster/scenery interaction.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014

Hey guys, just uploaded my coaster I've been secretly slaving over for far too long, called Peregrine! Go download and drop a comment if you have time!

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

Well, It's been a while, but I'm finally releasing this. It's a 90s style B&M Invert that may have been a bit more intense than it needed to be.

Links:
    Nolimits Exchange
    Steam Workshop
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016 edited

That's definitely pushing it when it comes to intensity, but overall I liked it. Loved all the details, gives the ride a very realistic feel. Great job!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

The ride was cool, but the scenery (especially the fences, rope walls, etc) were outstanding! Whoever did the modeling did a fantastic job.