Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey everyone.

For those who don't know, I'm the person behind NLE.

Life in general has kept me busy from working on Nolimits-Exchange and spending the time to maintain it. Since I last spoke (a long time ago) the company I worked for made me redundant and I then found a new job for a start-up company in London. Start-up culture is a bit different in that you're expected to work more hours to get the company going. My life has been very hectic working there so the last thing I want to do when I get time off is to sit at a computer and do more programming. I moved to London and my social life took off as well. Many nights of debauchery were / are still being had. Unfortunately I haven't found love yet, but I feel like it's just around the corner. My new company treats me quite well and I've been given a nice bit of time off, so I used all my remaining holiday to take December off. This gives time to work on the website infrastructure and pass on the development / admin duties to someone else before I'm pulled away again.

Here's what's changing:

Additional staff for the forum and website

1. The_Architect
    2. AJClarke0912

Here's what's happening to the website:

1. Compatibility with NL2 parks.
    2. Fix javascript bugs (can't vote on ratings).
    3. More admin tools for current staff.
    4. Merged accounts for website and forums.
    5. Ability to rate multiple coasters in a NL2 park.
    6. Additional website developers

I sincerely apologise for the long absence and lack of updates, but I'm back for a bit and we've got plans in place that should ensure a long (and bright!) future for NLE.

-Mathew

Great to see you around. I think the "ability to rate multiple coasters in a NL2 park" is a good idea, but I wonder if that's something that can be left up to the author? Sometimes designers want to showcase one primary coaster by giving it a strong and realistic setting with some background rides and coasters, and they don't want the focus (or any criticism) to be on the other rides.

As is, it almost seems I'll have three options:

-Use 3ds objects for any background coasters, surely with either lower quality or a higher hit to framerates, and no (or way more difficult and time consuming) animations
    -Take another few years to flesh out all background coaster designs even though they may be insignificant
    -Leave them to where they look great from the primary coaster, but upon unwanted close inspection, aren't quite as high quality and suffer the consequences in my ratings

All current options that I have seen have strong negatives. If the secondary coasters can't be locked, at least can we have the option to see that they are not judged as an equal to what we're actually trying to present?

Thanks Mathew
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013

I've heard a lot of good things about you, but I never knew if you really existed or not, until recently. Even though our first meeting wasn't of perfect accord, I'm happy to see you're back and the site will be ready to go for NL2. Thanks for the wonderful community you've created, and I'm excited to see what it's going to evolve into :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorknexrule11
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013

Wasn't L Bosch added as a staff member as well? Thanks for the update Mathew, happy holidays man. Thanks for all the effort you are putting into the site.
    Congratulations AJ!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013 edited

Posted By: knexrule11Wasn't L Bosch added as a staff member as well?

He was for a short trial period but is now a Gold Pass Guest. He may or may not return to staff in the future.

Posted By: DC High HeatI think the "ability to rate multiple coasters in a NL2 park" is a good idea, but I wonder if that's something that can be left up to the author? Sometimes designers want to showcase one primary coaster by giving it a strong and realistic setting with some background rides and coasters, and they don't want the focus (or any criticism) to be on the other rides.

I think a great solution to this would be a checkbox next to each "coaster name" from the park. If you were to upload a park, either the site could read your file and pull coaster names from it, or there could be a list of fields that you could add coaster names to. Either way, there could then be a checkbox to the left/right for "enable ratings on this coaster". Then you could check each coaster that you would allow users to rate and uncheck the ones you don't.

That would be my suggestion. Congrats (?) on finally getting the update/announcement out lol, I was beginning to think you might have forgotten about it. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013 edited

I hate to ask for more stuff, but can you make a link that shows the site team? I never know who is/ isn't a mod now-a-days. It would be extremely helpful for someone who is new to the site as well.

You can go to search->advanced and select the park security role in the user section to see mods.

• CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013 edited

Totally missed this topic, nice to see you reviving the work on this site.

Does "merged accounts for website and forums" mean that we won't have to log in twice for message board and the main site any more, or is it only the account that will be the same for both?
    •  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013

^ When you log into the exchange, then you're logged into the forums with the same username that you have on the exchange.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014

Hey,

sorry to bump this. I just wanted to ask if there is anything worth mentioning on the status of merging the website and the forums? Yes, a second registration would be no problem but this just came to my mind...

Daniel :)
    • CommentAuthorjackfrahn
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014

Hello all. Long time no chat lol. I got this email from this website stating I was a gold pass guest? What does this mean? I don't have a computer to run NL2 so... maybe in the future I will but not right now. Been along time sense I have been here. Hows things going? Anybody I would know still hanging around?? Welp I gots to get going... Cya all on the lift hills.

Remember

Keep makin' those coasters!!!

HA I still remember my signature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014 edited

Hah, I think that was me that enabled that for you a while ago. I remembered you from CS and saw that you had a hand in bringing up this site.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

Now that this is up again: I registered to the exchange a few weeks ago and haven´t received the answer mail. It´s not that important for me right now but maybe one of the moderators has some information on this. Is the registration disabled currently?

Daniel :)
    • CommentAuthorSpike

Jackfrahn! Welcome back! I'm relatively new to this site, but you may remember me from coaster sims back in the day. My account on there was crazydude. You helped me with some scenery work on an inverted coaster called Log Cabin Getaway about ten years ago. We may as well be talking about ancient history though!

I would love to return the favor and help you out in any way I can with your first NL2 project whenever you get a comp that can run the program.

Nice to see your name pop up after so many years!

Spike
    @sbdb2099: are you unable to use the exchange at the moment? Have you checked to see if you are able to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Wohoo another CS member returns! Welcome back, its so awesome to see another familiar name from the 'good old days'. I returned myself just before the release of NL2 after not being active in any NL communities since the CS days.
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

@Archy: Yes. I assume once you´ve registered you get a mail with a link to confirm the account right? Since i haven´t received that i get this message "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered." if i try to log in. I´m pretty sure there is no misspelling involved on my side ;). I used the address listed in my account for the forum if this helps...but then again its not that important for me currently :).