Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBlackMamba
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014 edited

I decided to build up a Merlin park in NL2 which would be located in Southern England to accompany Alton Towers and Thorpe Park and the coasters will be inspired by other Merlin coasters but will still be unique in their way. All coasters are already planned out but I´m not sure if all of them will make it:

-Terrained B&M Inverter
    -Heavily themed B&M Flyer OR Winger (once it´s released)
    -Fluch-von-Novgorod-inspired Eurofighter (not yet sure)
    -Arrow suspended (probably) on a mountain in the middle of the park
    -Intamin Rocket (like Rita, but much longer)
    -B&M Dive Coaster
    -Some sort of Wooden coaster
    -Also thinking about a classic Vekoma corkscrew :D Every park needs something like this

I´ve also done pretty much scenery (but by far not all of it) that I´m gonna show you piece by piece until January 10 2014.

Park entrance (looks distorted but actually isn´t) and I´m also gonna fix the textures on the fountain:

My first flat ride:

Please keep in mind that I am a beginner at Blender and No Limits and there might be some longer time between updates.
    More coming soon. All scenery was made with Blender. I´ll be happy to hear your opinions and critiscm ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014

I love the idea you have here, and as a fellow England resident I will be following this thread until release,
    On a side note it even looks like you've incorporated Drayton Manor with the Maelstrom-esque flat ride, keep up the good work :)
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014

Have a look at your proporions; for instance, have a look at the seats on the coaster and compare them to the width of your queue path. Also, your footers seem way to tall compared to what one would imagine a person to be. If you're working in Blender, you should be able to work with metrical or imperical units.

Anyhow, I always wanted to do parks with Nolimits, so I'm really excited to see people starting work on them already. :) And great work learning Blender, it's certainly not the easiest software to get up and running with.

Thanks for the interest - having people who are interested in my project will keep me motvated ;) As for the frisbee, it should be easy to fix the proportion issues and I will show you the results when it's done.

Sorry for double post
    Proportions on the frisbee were easy to fix, so here is the new version:

And the park entrance with a better UV mapping on the fountain and the ticket booths:

• CommentAuthorBye Tom

Try placing a silhouttes (or a 3D models) of a person in there, it really helps when trying to get a sense of proportions. I still think the seats on the ride look too small compared to the queue path and operator's booth. I particularly notice how the handrail looks taller than the seats. Anyhow, things do look a lot better now though! :)
    Yeah, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.
    I like your work so far. Since this will be a park, I will suggest a Mack wild mouse, Arrow mine train, a kids coaster, and maybe a hyper to help round of your coaster selection as you seem to only have thrilling coasters.
    I was actually thinking about a kiddie coaster aswell, but I forgot to mention it. I won't build a wild mouse for sure but a mine train seems like a nice addition.
    I think it's time for some new scenery.
    I worked on the frisbee's proportions and I think it's fine now. However I'm not going to post it (yet) because it seems kind of silly to post the almost-every-time-the-same picture three times in arow. So I present you the next flatride, a top spin:

Theme will most probably be an abbandoned airport and I plan to have the flyer in the same area.
    I've created (but not yet finished!) about 3 or 4 of the coaster stations. I'll start with the dive coaster and a Smiler-inspired station:

As you can see this is the first attraction which has already a name that will most likely not change, unless someone has a good suggestion ;) Ideas are always welcome!
    To make this coaster special, it will have a small darkride part between station and lifthill and a layout that has never been seen before on any dive coaster. It will be much longer than Oblivion and will have more than 2 inversions and some Raptor (Gardaland) near-misses! time to #getpushedoftheedge
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014

Are you planning to animate your flatrides?
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014

The first thing, which was coming into my mind: It´s dark and mostly grey. I don´t want to offend you, but why not coloring some elements to make it shine brighter ;)
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014 edited

^^I will try to animate them and hope that it works out. However, don't expect it to be the same quality as the Tango ride as I have absolutely no coding experience.
    ^Sorry to disappoint you but I don't feel offended ;) Just kidding. Yes, I know it's all quite spooky, but I think with NL2 lighting it might look a bit better. In Blender I just placed some lights so that all textures are visible. I will most likely not use a (pre-,post-)apocalyptic theming for my kiddie coaster :D What I presented you by now all belongs more or less to one area. Intamin Rocket, Suspended and Woodie will most likely have a more colourful surrounding. Anyhow, it's not the final version and I might add some colourful details.
    So here is a very basic station for the woodie:
    Ok, since there's no reaction to the latest update I will try to wake up the community with something more family-friendly. And, believe it or not, I used some other colours than grey ;)
    I thought, why not have a ferris wheel, it's something for the whole family, easy to build and I can finally show off some colours.

Only 5 days left - can't wait to build some roller coasters around my scenery!
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited

I built my first coaster in NL2! It's probably not perfect by NL2-standards but I'm quite proud of myselft. It's a B&M dive coaster with 2 inversions (dive loop and flat spin), 2 almost-vertical drops, a darkride part and a unique layout. And no supports yet.

Please tell me what you think about it.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014

The roll on the dive loop looks very very off and uncomfortable. Also, how is the clearance at the bottom of the helix before the flatspin? Bad angle so it's hard to see.

I agree, dive loop needs some work, I'm still learning how to use the roll nodes they can be so confusing... I was also worried about the clearance you mentioned but I attached a clearance envelope and there actually is more than enough clearance.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2014 edited

Good news on the clearance, that'll be some neat arm-choppers for the side seats :)

As for the roll nodes, just look at real dive loops where about 3 or 4 distinct points are. Where 0 degrees starts, where 90 degrees hits and where the 180 hits and locks into place. By the looks of it, you invert to 180 degrees WAY too early, and the transition from 0-180 is way too quick. I don't know where your roll vertices are placed in particular, so I can't say where to move what.

Thanks, I will try to move the vertices to the right spot tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Somehow the drop off of the MCBR looks weird, either the 90° downwards curve is too tight or the pullout is too large. The pullout on the first drop is also way too large, it should start later.
    Other than that (and the Dive Loop), looks like a fun layout!
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014

Dive Coaster "Drop Off" is finished!

Dive Loop looks a lot better now in my opinion. Please tell me if there is anything I can do better!

And some really close near misses:

"Drop Off Complete"

Coaster itself is finished, scnery not! The Giant Frisbee will receive an update on materials/textures, I think it looks a bit trashy right now.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2014

This is looking nice! For the diveloop: If you're going for B&M style the apex could be still tighter (first pic, second pic of the diveloop looks better) and the roll could happen still a little later. Take a look at Griffon:
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014

Except Griffon is an immelman.

Not that I'm going to get in a huge debate, but for dive loops references on B&M, I'd take a gander at inversion they declare dive loop. While extremely similar, the roll time, value and vertical forces are slightly modified, just because of the way the element flows.

• CommentAuthorAltitude

^ Exactly! With dive loops, the roll happens mostly at the top because if it was earlier, the train would be travelling too fast.
    That's why the dive loop on Saw - The Ride is so painful, it's because the roll starts very early and it's ridiculously tight anyway! :L
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Personally, I'd love to see this dive coaster dragged up about 30 meters so we can view the entire trackwork before you go sinking it in the ground too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Dive loops also tend to have different entry and exit angles so the banking etc bound to be different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited

Uh... it's worth mentioning as well that all of the dive loops referenced are both 1) from very old B&M rides / before their design style evolved to the more flowing rolls they tend to have today and 2) made for 4-across trains, not 10-across trains.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you build it and it looks exactly like Kumba or Kraken's dive loop, it's going to rotate too quickly. Dive machine rolls are slow and graceful. The longer it takes that roll to happen, the better. If there's some pronounced floater air while you're inverted, you've nailed it. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been on a dive machine.

I agree that the top of your loop could be tighter (I'd make it taller/slower over the apex as well, otherwise you won't get that same floater air with the tighter radius), but I think your rate of roll looks about right. You could probably even extend it a bit more past the apex of the inversion as well. Basically you shouldn't be at fully, 180 degrees inverted until after the crest of the dive loop.

• CommentTimeJan 17th 2014

Moved it up.
    I think the apex looks a lot tighter in relationship to the lower half of the dive loop which is now revealed. And if not, I can adjust it anytime. Roll is at full 180° somewhere after the highest point, so the inversion isn't reached at apex yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited

I know everyone was harking on you about the dive loop and I don't want to give you more thing to do but the supports looks way to small and flimsy for a dive coaster.

It really depends on the g forces in that track section but over all Dive coaster supports are pretty big EX: http://www.rollercoasterking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2203298043_cb282d75c1_z.jpg
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Not harking, constructive criticism.

The shaping does look very good, but I'll second 1blueshe's suggest, thicker tubes and it's perfect :D
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited

Just go on harking (as Elvenage said, constructive criticism). I'm always happy to hear opinions about my work since this is my first big project and most of you have a lot more experience in coaster building. This really helps a lot.
    Anyway, next point on my to do list is a family coaster, height around 20m. Track style will be Intamin Hyper or Mack because I feel like I should use train#37 at least once in my park.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

I'd suggest maybe a 20m woodie? Some timberliners maybe?

I feel like those Mack trains could be so much more useful at high speeds and intense forces.

Just my 2 cents.
    • CommentAuthordeanr201

Been lurking for a while. But will be following the progress of this closely; So far it looks great. The dive loop looks much nicer in that last screen.

One thing I have to ask is how have you got the frame attached to the car or have I missed something?

Go to the scenery tab, choose object, then Library, Demo Objects and choose Clearance Envelope. Then put the little yellow cube near the train and it will show up when you play the ride ;)
    • CommentAuthordeanr201
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014

Cheers Blackmamba!

Havent used no limits in at least 5 or 6 years! Safe to say my tracks are interesting!

back on topic. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this!
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014

I built a first version of the family coaster. But I'm not yet sure if I will keep it or maybe build something different for the families.

As you can see it's a launch coaster, but believe me it's still family-friendly. The launch is very slow and goes to omly 60 km/h. The whole layout is rather tame and curvy.

Do you think it's okay to have this as pathing?

And another question. Does anybody know how to set the fog to a certain position? Right now, it always starts to emit the fog and then disappears and starts from the beginning. I would like to always have a big cloud over my tunnels, if you know what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014

^There's a fog particle effect somewhere in the Scene Objects folder. Its a static object that won't change over time.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014

I'm sorry for all the pictures that disappeared, didn't happen before when I removed them from imgur, so here's an overview of the dive coaster for everyone who stll wants to have a look at it:

And the raw layout of my Flyer:

The trackwork is not yet finished at all, there still are a lot of bumps to be fixed. The surrounding will be similiar to Air, but with a more specific theming (Airport).
    And some more scenery for Drop Off:

I got a question for you guys: Shoul I do the pathing with terrain textures or 3ds? And if 3ds, does CK work well with NL2? Thanks for all coming replies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014

I don't think CK will work at all with NL2 since it was made far before NL2 came out.
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014

The B&M Flyer "Last Flight" is done! Supports may need some small work and there's still some scenery to be added but the coaster itself I consider finsished. Storyline: An old air base was abondened during the second World War. Now, more than 50 years later all aircrafts are out of order... all but one! An old jetplane that was built only once and was never used still seems flyable. Two hobby pilots decide to take it for one last flight in the mountains before leaving it in the air base for good.

As for the pathing I decided to use 3ds even so CK doesn't work with NL2. I will take a screenshot of my park in the topview, make a screenshot and use it as a background image in Blender.
    And as always... comments, criticism and compliments appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe

The colors on the dive coaster and flyer are almost identical except for the rails on the flyer. Is there a reason for that, or did I miss something?

No reason for that, it's just coincidence. I'm not yet decided for the flyer's color but I wanted to have something that goes well with the airport theme. The dive machine's colors are final because I have a lot of 3ds that have green elements and I want this area of the park to have a dark green look.
    "Last Flight" got some more theming. It is my first coaster to have an actual queue and a fence so the visitors don't enter dangerous areas where other visitor's feet can hit their heads.
    I changed the color scheme because the old on wasn't visible in the hills. What do you think, good or too much Air color?

Please comment!
    Your ride suffers from NL2 syndrome.. adding tunnels for the sake of it, and while I don't mind the odd jaunt through a tunnel, you haven't even bothered to fully hide the one in the bottom left.

In real life, people don't build tunnel roofs until it has something to support, and it shouldn't be any different in NL. You'd make your ride look a lot better by simply hiding as much of the tunnel as possible.
    I tried to hide it as much as possible but the slope is to shallow. It doesn't look good if the lower half of the tunnel is under earth, if you know what I mean. Anyway, thank you, I will try to tuck them in as far as terrain allows.
    • CommentAuthorsoldier148
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2014

How can you make really dark tunnels or buildings?

@soldier148: I'm not quite sure about what you mean, but if you want to darken scenery you can create a NL2MAT and set the ambient values to a darker colour. As for the tunnels, they are as dark as they're preset and I don't know about an option to darken it (maybe environment settings?). Hope I could help you ;)

Small update, guys. I haven't done much recently, I would just like to show you the main street area of the park which is slowly getting a shape:

And some near misses on the Mack Family and on the Flying Coaster:

I decided against the red white scheme for the Mack and will go with a Rocky Mountain theme.
    I think that concrete tunnel fails :P
    • CommentAuthorReal

Keep all hands and arms inside the train at all times