Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Laptop
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014

As far as a benchmark, I'm not sure. My computer frequently has like 1/2 second skips like every second when running the park. And I have a dual-core.
    A low-end dual-core mind you.
    I might check for sure later.
    Anyone have any recommendations for a benchmarking ride/park?
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014 edited

The newest version (2.0.4.0) contains lots of optimizations with better performance for all parks. Normal parks (no light sources, no 3d objects) are slightly over 10% faster. There are also special performance improvements for parks with many (moving) light sources such as Tango Park and Party Town. The performance increase was over 20% for Tango Park on my computers and even higher for Party Town, because the engine now scales better with the number of moving lights. Also performance on parks with many 3d trees should scale better now (performance increase in the Forest Mountain Park is well over 10% on my computers). All the optimizations are related to CPU bottlenecks, so if your system is GPU limited you probably won't see an improvement, but most systems should be CPU limited. I am also quite proud about the new preview image loading in the file browser which removes any delays.

I recommend to use Forest Mountain Park as a good park for benchmarking. It has multiple coasters, lots of objects (trees, wooden supports) and partly visible reflections which puts big stress on the engine and is one of the parks that is CPU limited. When you start NL2 with the -t command line parameter ("nolimits2app.exe -t"), it will go into timedemo mode for the first park that gets loaded, which is great for benchmarking. In timedemo mode, you cannot move the mouse and all random influences are turned off, so you get reproduceable results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014 edited

Thank you for your ongoing improvement of NL2 following the user input in this and other forums. It is a special relationship and I highly value the presence of so many dev team members in this forum.
    • CommentAuthormrcobra92
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014

Intel Core 2 Quad 3.2 ghz
    GTX760
    16 gb 1600 DDR3 ram
    1tb 7200 RPM WD Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Pro/Windows 8 Pro
    Frame Rates are usually around 60FPS AT BEST on medium to low settings, and all system recourses show very little use. It lags on even simple parks. Shows poor optimization to me. It runs smoother on my laptop with an intel 4000. Could use some help.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014

Sounds like VSync is turned on which will limit frame rates to your monitors refresh rate.
    Posted By: oleI recommend to use Forest Mountain Park as a good park for benchmarking. It has multiple coasters, lots of objects (trees, wooden supports) and partly visible reflections which puts big stress on the engine and is one of the parks that is CPU limited. When you start NL2 with the -t command line parameter ("nolimits2app.exe -t"), it will go into timedemo mode for the first park that gets loaded, which is great for benchmarking. In timedemo mode, you cannot move the mouse and all random influences are turned off, so you get reproduceable results.

I think it should be "nolimits2app.exe" -t, else it will see the -t as part of the to open file. It does only show average fps, I noticed that the moment the stations come into view the fps drops down, sometimes quite dramatically. Maybe my old motherboard with ddr2 ram is my issue but I still only see my CPU at max 50-60% used, many games can turn it up to 75-90%. I mentioned my specs before but here they are again:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 OC'ed to 3.4GHz
    Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
    6GB DDR2 800 ram
    2tb 7200 samsung HDD
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Motherboard is some older Foxconn type.

Posted By: oleSounds like VSync is turned on which will limit frame rates to your monitors refresh rate.

VSynch should only matter for MAX fps not for MIN, I always turn it on to reduce screen tearing.
    VSync for me destroys my framerate. If you're getting low FPS, it's usually one of the first things to disable, along with AA.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014 edited

VSync DOES matter for MIN fps a lot, because it will force the fps to jump to the next lowest divider of the monitor's refresh rate. Example: If your refresh rate is 60Hz (very common for flat screens) and your computer is not fast enough to compute up to 60 frames per second, the fps will fall down to 60/2 = 30fps. The next lower fps would be 60/3 = 20fps. I personally find that very annoying so I would only enable VSync when your computer is fast enough to compute 60fps reliable at most of the times. I find it extremly annoying when the framerate jumps between 60fps, 30fps, 20fps, 15fp etc, but it is matter of taste.

Still runs like a rocket here :D
    For anyone running an Nvidia 600 series card or greater, you can turn on what is called "adaptive vsync" through your card's driver. It turns on VSync when your card is able to render frames quicker than your monitors refresh rate, but turns it off if your card falls below that. It helps with both screen tearing and stuttering, and I am very happy with it.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2014

I wanted to leave a big thank you for all user which have given some tips and special to ole for all the really important informations and solutions. I have now a list to work out a real good how to.. make parks better with loads of optimizing tips plus the physical thoughts of weaker pc :) NL2 is running really good on my pc and especially after the last updates i have noticed a slighter boost. I mostly have multiple coasters and scripts.. terraforming, lots of trees and many scenery up and running without noticeable lag. With the new informations in this thread, it will be even better! Thank you! :)
    Posted By: oleI recommend to use Forest Mountain Park as a good park for benchmarking. It has multiple coasters, lots of objects (trees, wooden supports) and partly visible reflections which puts big stress on the engine and is one of the parks that is CPU limited. When you start NL2 with the -t command line parameter ("nolimits2app.exe -t"), it will go into timedemo mode for the first park that gets loaded, which is great for benchmarking. In timedemo mode, you cannot move the mouse and all random influences are turned off, so you get reproduceable results.

Sorry for the noob question, but how do we do this?
    Rightclick Nolimits 2 shortcut.
    At the target line you put -t at end so it looks like nolimits2app.exe" -t (notice the space!)
    Then start it up using that shortcut and load a park.

Don't quote post above yourts -staff
    Many thanks for that - It'll be interesting to try this after every update to see if it improves NL2 on my system.
    • CommentAuthorGigaG
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2015

Does NL2 still have performance issues on AMD? Should I try a mid-level NVidia? My current GPU is a lower-end Radeon 5450, and my CPU is a core i5 650. I havard 8GB RAM. Is my graphics card the biggest bottleneck, and should I replace it with a mid-level NVidia to get better performance on NL2? (I'm on lowest settings except shadows, can get burst of 30 FPS looking towards the sky during a POV view on Keymaster but only 15-20 or less looking at the ground.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2015 edited

Your graphics card is sloooooooooow.
    • CommentAuthorGigaG
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2015

I knew that. Do you reccomend NVidia over an equivalent level AMD for an upgrade? I'm looking for a decent card at a decent price. What do you suggest?
    maybe wait a little bit longer and see how the GTX960 does when it's released?

http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/geforce-gtx-960-comes-january-22/49450/
    • CommentAuthorGigaG
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2015 edited

Posted By: coasterfreak46maybe wait a little bit longer and see how the GTX960 does when it's released?

http://www.hitechreview.com/it-products/pc/geforce-gtx-960-comes-january-22/49450/

Seems like it'll be a bit expensive (not prohibitively so, though, but more than others) and isn't the GTX series super powerful? My CPU is a 3.2GHz i5-650, and I don't want to get a GPU that is much better than my CPU (thus wasting money and turning my CPU into a bottleneck.) I'm already planning on upgrades to the GPU, PSU, and possibly adding USB 3.0, and I don't want to have to change my CPU too (something that, to me, is much more intimidating than a GPU or PSU upgrade.)

Here are my CPU specs.

It has a high clock speed and 4 threads, but only 2 cores. Still a nice processor, but I want to get a graphics card that won't make my CPU into a bottleneck. Is this CPU powerful enough to run NL2 given a good GPU?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2015

You should max out each part as high as you can afford. Go for the higher graphics card if you are planning to further upgrade. You can always take the graphics card with you.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2015

i have a amd r9 280x that runs no limits just fine
    but then again it is a 3gb overclocked gamers card that i overclocked more
    and im running a amd 7870k black edition
    so for me i don't lag on nl2 and seems to run every park out there with no lag and im running nl2 on high to ultra setting, so if you wanna go cheaper stick wth a r9 280 or a 290x 3gb card and you can basically not have to buy a nivida card for more
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

Has anyone else have the editor lag really bad when placing freenodes and beam nodes? It only happens on my massive I'm Sorry coaster. It has never happened in Jamp Up Land.
    ^necro bump much?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

^Considering this is a dedicated thread for performance talk, what's the problem with bumping?

Would you rather a new thread be created whenever someone had an issue/question regarding performance?

@Togofan, that has happened to me, but typically only in 3D views, because the nodes are 3D models. This isn't a performance issue so much as it is a sign that support scenery isn't efficient at all. If you modeled all of your support scenery properly in an external program, you might not have the issue you're currently facing.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I am using supports only for the station and the actual coaster track supports. The rest is invisible tracks with catwalks and other things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Togo, you asked about this in your own thread. You built a coaster that is DOZENS of miles long. No one's computer can handle it. Buy a more powerful computer or build realistic coasters less than 2 miles long.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017

Is the editor still locked to 15 to 20 FPS? I never have had this annoying editor freezing and saying it is unresponsive problem with Jamp Up Land.