Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited

Posted By: tplowman91How do you get a brake pumping affect when coming into a slow roll stop where the skid brakes apply/release/apply/release/apply/release? Makes a "Chik-Chicka-Chicka-Chick-Chicka" sound.

Hysteresis is a trigger value that is basically the amount of speed that must be accrued to trigger the brakes after the brakes have already slowed the train to the target speed. For example if the brakes are set to release at 5 MPH, and the hysteresis is set to 5 MPH, then the train must accelerate to 10 MPH (brake target + hysteresis) before the brakes will be triggered again. Setting hysteresis to a low value might yield the effect you're after.
    • CommentAuthorskyrush12
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014

nice little tip for those wanting to build objects with supports .... open each new object as a new coaster ( it'll act like a layer in Photoshop) Itll be easier to build with out clicking the wrong node or accidentally moving a node you didn't mean to.

Untitled-3

Untitled-4
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

Thanks Phyter, after a little toying about I managed to get it to work. However I have just one more question for you, would you be able to give some advice on how to trigger say a strobe light (which in itself may need explaining), or regular light, to come on with a trigger point. Many Thanks!
    Posted By: skyrush12nice little tip for those wanting to build objects with supports .... open each new object as a new coaster ( it'll act like a layer in Photoshop) Itll be easier to build with out clicking the wrong node or accidentally moving a node you didn't mean to.

Great idea, nice structure too =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

Posted By: JAMMYD778Thanks Phyter, after a little toying about I managed to get it to work. However I have just one more question for you, would you be able to give some advice on how to trigger say a strobe light (which in itself may need explaining), or regular light, to come on with a trigger point. Many Thanks!

Personally I would do that with the range of the train to the object. Range is obtained very easily. I recommend taking a look at the Clearance Envelope script. It is very well commented and you should be able to figure it out from there.
    Hi guys,

I have a block question. In NL1, you could choose whether a lift section could act as a block or not, and I can't seem to find (if there is a way) to disable the lift as a block segment in NL2. I hate having trains waiting on the lift section! So can you disable the lift as block?

Also, I'm wondering if there is any way to make trains wait until the the next block is clear before closing harness and dispatching. Particularly with flying coasters. I find that in auto dispatch, if the next block isn't clear, they will lock into the flying position and wait for ages until dispatching, which would be annoying to hang there in real life so I'm trying to eliminate it.

Thanks in advance!
    Lift hills have always been block sections, to fix them waiting on the lift just make the station wait longer.
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

RideExp, like A.S. said lift hills have always been and always are (IRL) a block section. I'm not sure why you'd want this to be different, anyway, but depending on the coaster type you're building the only real option I can think of is making your lift a transport section instead. This isn't ideal by any stretch, and I also don't think there's an option to add a chain in a transport section in NL2. Alternatively, if you know how to model and import scene objects and whatnot you could make a transport section, hide the device, and script in the chain.

My question is about the new banking system. I am having a lot of trouble getting break runs and lifts to maintain a consistent 0° bank. I understand how the banking system works in a general sense, but for example if my coaster has a 180° turnaround before the MCBR, then often times the brake run (which should be totally straight) has some little crick in it, somewhere. Even when I add a ton of roll points at 0° this can be an issue. Sometimes it's totally fine but I can't tell what I'm doing to make it fine, and a lot of other times the changes in banking are imperceptible in the simulator itself. But still, why is this happening?

Could it have something to do with the Strict option for vertices? I'm still not 100% sure what that does, really....

edit: Also, I'm LOVING the "depump vertices" feature and have really been starting to figure out how to best utilize it much to my delight, especially being that for a very long time I did not have access to any good tools as a Mac user and all of my tracks were full of jerks. However, the depumper seems to have a real problem at the connection point. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The feature works great everywhere else and fortunately the new system makes it easy to smooth by hand (particularly with the G-force comb), but I'm really curious to know what's going on with the depumper at the connect point anyway. Might as well be pressing command-G ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a way to scaled 3ds in the editor ?
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Set two roll sections at the beginning and end of a brake run at 0 degrees, and make them both strict. Strict locks them in at 0, and the track between the two nodes cannot roll no matter what, unless another roll node is placed.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Posted By: ChukenskySorry if this has already been answered, but is there a way to scaled 3ds in the editor ?

Double click on the yellow blob in amongst all the move and rotation options on the object you have highlighted. You'll get a window pop up with placement, rotation and scaling options. Play with the values of the X Y and Z scaling to get what you want.

Obviously if you want to scale it up or down whilst maintaining the proportions of your object, make sure the values are all the same.
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

Posted By: ElvenageSet two roll sections at the beginning and end of a brake run at 0 degrees, and make them both strict. Strict locks them in at 0, and the track between the two nodes cannot roll no matter what, unless another roll node is placed.

Got it, thanks. I thought I had done that but turns out I had only set the strict vertices for straight track.

Sorry, not sure why the quoting is not working.

Regarding the other problem with the weird depumping and reshaping, it seems to happen anywhere track is disconnected and reconnected. I added an element in this same coaster and now that I'm trying to reconnect it with the rest of the track I'm having a hell of a time because the connection point doesn't seem to be behaving quite the same way as other vertices, whether I'm trying to use the Depumper or doing it by hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014

Sorry if this one has been answered but...can we install and activate on more than one computer? I own a lappy and a desktop you see.
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

Yup, just use the same username and license key. The download will be available for a month after purchasing, IIRC. I installed it on both of my computers without issue, and others have reported the same. It's a generous DRM.
    • CommentAuthorgt5vlogs

Posted By: djd711Sorry if this one has been answered but...can we install and activate on more than one computer? I own a lappy and a desktop you see.

Yes you can,I contacted the NoLimits Support with this question and had this reply
    Reply from NoLimits SupportYou can install it on multiple devices as long as the same user is the one using it on each device. So if you have a PC and a laptop that you would like to use NoLimits 2 on, feel free.

So yes they let you use it on multiple devices as long as it is you using it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormkj3322

My apologies ahead of time if someone has already asked this question but does anyone know why I am only getting a blank screen with sound when i try to export a video?

NL2 exports as quicktime movie, you need to convert it to MP4 etc before you can actually see the video unless you use the Apple players.

• CommentAuthorYPOC

I'm using VLC media player on Windows 7 and I can see them fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

I am really confused on how to set a satellite image as an overlay. I went into the park preferences and added the image as the overlay, but it doesn't show up anywhere.
    ^ You have to make sure that the size of the image is a power of 2 (example: 200 X 200) otherwise it won't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014 edited

^^and activate the Overlay option in the Display settings of your current viewport. Got me as well the first time I tried out overlays.
    ^power of 2 would be 256x256 ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Posted By: L Boschactivate the Overly option in the Display settings of your current viewport

That's what I was missing. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Posted By: mkj3322My apologies ahead of time if someone has already asked this question but does anyone know why I am only getting a blank screen with sound when i try to export a video?

Try altering the video output in the settings to AVI instead of MOV, you end up with much larger files but on the plus side you can actually see it. I had to alter my settings for editing as my copy of Vegas point blank refuses to play back video in MOV files.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the lens flare textures for the environments? The feature seems to be missing from what I can tell. It did used to be an option for NL1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014

Does anyone have any good tips on how to make a to scale overlay?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Go into Google Earth and take a screenshot of it with the Scale Legend enabled (found under the View toolbar). Then take something like Photoshop or Paint and find out how many pixels wide that bar is (from the white pixel bar to white pixel bar, not the surrounding black ones). Then go back to Google Earth and zoom in so that the number of feet the scale represents is equal to the amount of pixels that bar is (it was 385 for me, but it might be different for you). Then go to the Edit menu and hit Copy Image, then paste it in to Paint or Photoshop and save it. Then put it into your project folder and use it as your overlay with a 1 ft/pixel scale.
    Can anyone explain to me why the insert vertex tool will try and move all of the vertices around it instead of just keeping them where they are and inserting one? It's profoundly annoying, especially when all I'm trying to do is add in one stinking node for a brake run, and it will totally just decide to move all of my vertices AND type AND style separators.
    If anyone can help, I have no experience with fixing null pointer exceptions and I have no idea what is causing this:

Exception: NullPointerException
    at private void BlockScript.processLift() in line 1614
    at public void BlockScript.onNextFrame(float)
    at public final void com.nolimitscoaster.Script.run()

I've written two codes for the same coaster that are practically identical, yet one works while the other doesn't. I have the setup to the script ( public bool onInit() ) basically exactly the same between the two. Is there something that causes this to happen? The error says it's occuring during .onNextFrame and mine looks something like this:

public void onNextFrame(float tick)
    {
    if (mode != FULL_MANUAL_MODE)
    {
    processLift();
    processCoasting1();
    processCoasting2();
    processWaiting();
    processPre2();
    processPre1();
    processStation2();
    processStation1();
    processTransfer();
    }
    etc......
    }

All of the variables used in the processes are defined, I've triple checked that. What's odd is when I change the order in .onNextFrame, the error changes to this:
    Exception: NullPointerException
    at private void BlockScript.processCoasting1()in line 1678
    at public void BlockScript.onNextFrame(float)
    at public final void com.nolimitscoaster.Script.run()

...which leads me to believe it is a problem with the initialization rather than with the processes...but I've triple checked the entire beginning of the code and everything matches with several codes I've written that work perfectly fine. Am I missing something? Is this a problem with the processes? I can't find any reason anything would end up null. All of the block names return true, the special track returns true, the coaster returns true, "private static bool checkAndSetInitialBlockState" returns true...

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it greatly!
    Posted By: Vekoma Fan BoyCan anyone explain to me why the insert vertex tool will try and move all of the vertices around it instead of just keeping them where they are and inserting one? It's profoundly annoying, especially when all I'm trying to do is add in one stinking node for a brake run, and it will totally just decide to move all of my vertices AND type AND style separators.

I think this is for designing curves. If you insert one in the middle of a segment on a curve, it averages it out so it's still smooth. For brake segments that doesn't work...you've just got to add all the nodes you need first and then position them second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcb0688

I asked this a few days ago and still have not figured it out: How do you change the textures of supports (such as wooden beams/catwalks)? Anyone know how to do that?
    • CommentAuthorBlackMamba
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014

I finally figured out how to use the NL2SCO and NL2MAT editor. But still the message always pops up that the textures couldn't be loaded, even so I put them in the same folder as the NL2SCO objects. Does anyone know what to do about that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014 edited

Posted By: Vekoma Fan BoyCan anyone explain to me why the insert vertex tool will try and move all of the vertices around it instead of just keeping them where they are and inserting one? It's profoundly annoying, especially when all I'm trying to do is add in one stinking node for a brake run, and it will totally just decide to move all of my vertices AND type AND style separators.

You may not like starting from scratch, but we think that once you learn the new method of track creation you will not want to go back. Learn about using the 'Strict' parameter on nodes to make straight segments. And watch some of the fantastic tutorials that have been created by our users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Ycu4hrKIQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Wy4c_rdFQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWxf5Ygtpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDYtEX5Rnkk
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014 edited

Posted By: BlackMambaI finally figured out how to use the NL2SCO and NL2MAT editor. But still the message always pops up that the textures couldn't be loaded, even so I put them in the same folder as the NL2SCO objects. Does anyone know what to do about that?

You have not provided a lot of information here. I'm going to assume that you have probably moved some things around after generating absolute references to the media files in your .nl2mat or .nl2sco files.

NoLimits 2 allows you keep files anywhere you like. But when you create an .nl2mat or .nl2sco file and reference external files, then the editor will generate absolute references to those files (e.g. "G:\mytextures\texture.png" instead of just "texture.png"). When you have absolute references like that, if any of the file locations change, then you will receive the "File not found / Failed File" warning when you refresh the object or reload the sim.

Recommend you open each of your .nl2mat files and reassign all of the textures. Then open each of your .nl2sco file and reassign the .3DS file and each of your materials.

I found a bug, could it a few times under the same circumstances, hope the devs can replicate the result: when I have the editor open and I have it set to two view ports it can happen that one is sowing the g-force comb while it is set to none.

This is my setup: Running no limits in windowed mode, always using two view ports. My left view port is 99.9% of the time set to perspective and with G-force comb activated. And has the track wire-frame displayed. My right view port is set to the view angle I need at that moment to edit my coaster so no detailed info about that one. On this view port my track wire-frame is disabled and most of the time the spline info is set to none.

Sometimes when I switch views on the right view-port the G-force comb pops up, it can be easily removed by selecting none again. Note: None is still selected when the G-force comb pops up, will post screen shot next time it happens.

Anybody know why this is happening to my bump-lit textures? This seems to occur when I approach catwalk lights
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014

This is probably extremely trivial and I'm overlooking something obvious, but how do you get the multicolored B&M spine? I can set the beam color types, but can't find a spine color option.
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014 edited

Coaster Properties -> Colours -> Dropdown Box called "Spine Colour Scheme"

There's 3 options:

Top accented makes the top 6th or so of the spine the same colour as the crossties.
    Top/Bottom accented makes the top 6th and underside panel of the spine the same colour as the crossties.
    Stripe makes the entire spine the crosstie colour, other than a stripe about one 3rd of the height of the spine along the side.

Hope that helps!

Edit:
    Screenshot showing a flyer with the "Stripe" setting and a hyper with the "Top accented" setting.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

^Yes, I understand that, but how do you change the colors of the stripe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLing

It looks like setting it to "Stripe" makes the entire track the same color as the cross-ties, and the stripe is the color of the Main Spine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

Posted By: secretimbecileAnybody know why this is happening to my bump-lit textures? This seems to occur when I approach catwalk lights

Terrain bump maps should be used in combination with a specular map to control shininess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorI305Evan

Is there anyway to control how the blocks are laid out on the control panel in the simulator? I'm building a Mack Launch to mess around and learn and I built 3 storage tracks, but in the list it goes storage 1, 2, then pre-launch, launch, then storage 3. Everything is all out of order. Any way to control how it's laid out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

For the moment you should wait to name your blocks until the end of construction, then name the blocks in the order you want them to appear (name the station first, the lift next, the block brake next, etc). We've got some plans for the future related to a full 3D control panel so this may change.

-Ride_Op
    ^^ Phyter, This is happening seemingly when I approach catwalk lights, otherwise the textures look norrmal. However, I've not seen a way to assign specular maps to a NL2MAT for a 3D file.
    • CommentAuthorBye Tom

So anyone who has figured out how to use specular maps?
    I somehow recall that it was mentioned pre-release that this would be possible. The NL2MAT Editor help file briefly mentions "specular masking" in the introduction, but then I can't seem to find any mor information on it.
    • CommentAuthorAltitude

Phyter/ride_op, did you say custom switch tracks will be coming in the future?

Also, could somebody possibly do a tutorial on how to script a switch track for a backwards section on a coaster? I think a lot of us would find it really useful! :)
    • CommentAuthornjr140

^^^ Yes. I'd definitely find it helpful. This is the thing I want to do most with scripting, but I know nothing about it.
    • CommentAuthorLikiNilsson

How would I go about with this problem with the E-stop?

http://youtu.be/QvVA7Cp6wpo
    ^Definitely change the launch to a trim brake (add a block section at the start if you still want a wait)
    • CommentAuthorgt5vlogs

Is there any way to switch off/remove the station lights during the night without removing the station building,as i want the original station with the demo objects animated lights so i can create a disco theme.
    Posted By: secretimbecile^Definitely change the launch to a trim brake (add a block section at the start if you still want a wait)

The launch is a trim brake and the holding brake is a block section. :/