Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014 edited

Posted By: sprogQuick query for anyone who's using the nl2mat and nl2sco formats. Got my head wrapped around how to convert 3DS files to these and apply textures using the nl2mat feature, but I'm struggling to figure out how to get them to occlude light. Currently working on a ride in the dark and I want to be able to place lights around the place, however currently the lights shine through the solid "wall" objects and light up things behind them.

Is it just a matter of playing with light settings to shorten the beam length, or can I actually make the object block the light? Obviously the latter would be much quicker and easier.

I've scouted through the documentation and couldn't really find anything on it... Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

I think that if you go in the NL2SCO editor to the "lights" tab and look at the settings for you lights, there is a "Cast Shadows" option which will allow this (not sure this will work though, but it seems logical). Just forewarned, the little "this effects performance" warning is there for a reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWalki
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

Does anyone know why the display is discolored? It's the same in the simulator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Make sure you update to the latest version (from the main menu click Info, then Check For Updates). If the problem is still happening please post your system specs.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorWalki

No updates available.
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2,50GHz
    Direct X 11
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

What about your graphics card?

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

There is no updates available for me in NL2 too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWalki

Intel HD Graphics 4000
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Does your laptop have an nVidia or AMD graphics card as an alternate?

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorPePpO
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014

How can we make our own prefabs? (Copy and paste doesnt work well in my opinion)
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Ride_op, are you planning on making the G-force panel viewable in wireframe mode in a future update? That would be very helpful for testing tracks without having to freeze them every time.
    • CommentAuthoraustinjb555
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014 edited

I keep getting this issue with the roll. It makes it so I can't use the built-in FVD either. I'm making an invert, and the roll likes to act freaky at the end vertex and it likes to be at 180 degrees. Is there a way around this or is it a bug?

As for the FVD-editor, are there plans to enhance this? I like how I can use it whenever, as opposed to FVD++ and the whole track has to be made from it. However you can't preview it with the track view, and you can't save it. It makes building difficult because you have to rebuild everything from scratch if you ride it and find out one part was rough or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

Is there any way for a 2D Animation material texture to give off light as a light source? As an example, The Smiler's Marmaliser screen at night. When I set the omni light's parent element the light is just at 0,0,0. Many Thanks
    Posted By: PePpOBut what if I want to have a station which leaves and enters at the same time? With scripting of course.

Edit: who has done the maverik script?

That was me, and I believe I mentioned in the tutorial that there is no way to get rid of the error. It is an error that is integrated into the program, it has nothing to do with the script.
    • CommentAuthorPePpO
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014

Thanks, I only saw your youtube video.
    Use these.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/files/script_tutorial.doc

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/files/blockscript.txt

Posted By: austinjb555
    I keep getting this issue with the roll. It makes it so I can't use the built-in FVD either. I'm making an invert, and the roll likes to act freaky at the end vertex and it likes to be at 180 degrees. Is there a way around this or is it a bug?

As for the FVD-editor, are there plans to enhance this? I like how I can use it whenever, as opposed to FVD++ and the whole track has to be made from it. However you can't preview it with the track view, and you can't save it. It makes building difficult because you have to rebuild everything from scratch if you ride it and find out one part was rough or something.

I definitely agree with this. I'd love the ability to save FVD segments. I also don't like that if you start FVD after a curved section, the vertex always ends up around 1g ( because the end isn't formed correctly until another vertex is added...) so if you could input the starting gforce manually that would be great. Also, to fix that bug, try selecting a previous roll and opening the editing window, then select the end vertex and the roll should appear in the editor window. Usually it means there is a roll node hiding under the end vertex and you just have to get to it this way...
    • CommentAuthorPePpO

^ I know how to script, I only wanted to know if I can skip the error with multiple trains on a block/station. I really hope that we get custom buttons for our scripts in future updates.

Does someone know how to make prefab-supports? I am to lazy to make supports one by one :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWalki

@ride_op: It doesn't say. The computer is a Toshiba All-in-One LX835-D3205 Desktop
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

^It's Intel integrated :)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014

Question for the dev team..

If you're working on a shuttle coaster, is there a way to show a G force comb for the return trip? (I have a feeling there isn't, and the G comb only displays the initial pass) If not, would it be possible to add that in a later patch?

Also, will the 'Cut Track Path' function from the NL1 terraformer program be coming back? I've noticed it's absent from the terrain options in NL2. Either that, or i just haven't found it yet.

Thanks.

^^^ I don't have a cure for your laziness, Peppo, :P but try this. Custom make the support you need, click & drag to select the support you just made, then copy/paste it as many times as needed using the options in the supports tab. (Define/Add Defined)
    Or you can just use prefab prefabs.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to delete all the green vertices at the same time (I mean without selecting one by one) after exporting a Newton coaster?
    In the top view, go to display, then deselect everything except for the rolls, then highlight and delete.
    Edit: nevermind, solved my problem
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2014

How do you script a way for lights (the spotlights included in NL2 for example) to switch on and off? I can only seem to be able to use the scenery object the light is attatched to, I can't figure a way to manipulate the light itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2014

Brief question here: In NL1, it was possible to change the lift chain sound by editing text files. Is there still some way to change lift sounds in NL2? I still have a nice 10-second loop of an Arrow lift hill that I never got around to using in NL1, but I'd like to put it to use now.
    ^It is possible to add sound with scripts, but I'm not sure you can remove the lift sound included in the game.
    Posted By: PePpODoes someone know how to make prefab-supports? I am to lazy to make supports one by one :-)

Dude, there are buttons under the support panel labeled "prefab..." Go nuts.
    I have a question. The last node of my coaster got banked somehow, and won't go back to 0 degrees. Does anybody know how to fix this? I can't find an option to set the banking of it. Thanks so much!
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014

You need to add some roll nodes and twist it back. If you build an entire track without rolls you'll find over time it does twist.
    I know that, but even if I add roll nodes right to the end of the track the final node is still banked. How can I post a picture on here? I could show you. :)
    DivideByZero, double click on a roll node than single click on the end vertex than set it to zero
    Thanks so much, it worked.
    • CommentAuthorsoldier148
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014

How can I lower the terrain without making a body of water?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014

Raise the total map land if it's at it's lowest already. Then you can make trenches etc without hitting the water table.
    • CommentAuthorSohcahtoa
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014

Posted By: coasterlover420I also don't like that if you start FVD after a curved section, the vertex always ends up around 1g ( because the end isn't formed correctly until another vertex is added...) so if you could input the starting gforce manually that would be great.

You can minimize how much this affects your coaster by only ending FVD elements in spots where all the G forces and banking changes are constant. Then, when you start the next FVD element, put a node on the FVD graph at a really early time (like 0.1) and set it to the G forces that the track SHOULD have at that point. You might end up with an extra vertex which could cause a bump in the track, but you can delete it.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2014

Is it possible to create your own prefabs? (I know the "Define" option is available, but when you define a straight support and then put it on banked track, the footer doesn't offset and the support ends up angled inward.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014

Is there any way to have a a lift chain block start up while a train is on the previous block brake, aka a Gerstlauer Eurofighter/Infinty lift? Many Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2014

^made even better if it starts up, then stops, then lifts the trains :O
    Posted By: JAMMYD778Is there any way to have a a lift chain block start up while a train is on the previous block brake, aka a Gerstlauer Eurofighter/Infinty lift? Many Thanks

Block script
    One more question, how do you save elements? I tried selecting the nodes, pressing save element, etc but I just get an error message.
    ^What is the error you are getting?
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited

Hello. I'm new to NL2. When i see other peoples roller coasters I see a lot of custom scenery. Like Wooden Decks, large rocks, Brick walls, different Trees, etc...
    I dont have in my version of the game, so i assume it's custom or user created ala RCT3. Is there anywhere where I can browse user made objects?
    In particular I looking for Trees that would fit a jungle theme.

Also is there a way to put headlights on the Coaster? Or more lights on the tracks somewhere? At night, cant see a thing, and I only appear to be able to adds street lamps.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014

Hi, welcome!

To answer your questions:

Scenery - There isn't really a place(like Shyguy's World) to browse scenery, although that's not a bad idea. You can find some users premade pieces like Bye Tom's Rock Set or his trenches.
    Jungle Trees - I haven't fully looked through NL2's tree envronment, but I don't recall many jungle-like trees. You'd either have to 3d model them yourself, or find someone who has them. Alternatively, you can purchase(or find) tree textures to make 2d trees in game, which I assume is much easier to do.
    Headlights - You betcha! But it requires a bit of scripting, which is slightly beyond me, only because I haven't bothered to really delve into it. What I know you can do is run an "attach object" script and have a pair of headlights(with working lights) attached to the front of the train.

There's a thread full of NL tools, which include 3d modeling programs and sources for images. You could find a good chunk of helpful tools for your NL2 journey :D
    • CommentAuthorRonin

Oh man! That all sounds so overwhelming O_O

I don't know anything about 3D modeling, and know even less about scripting ;_;
    I know you said you don't know much about scripting either, but is there a place that can give me a step by step tutorial on how to add Head lights or lights to the track?

And lastly I googled, and downloaded the Bye Tom's scenery, but can't find a tutorial on how exactly to install them. Closest I could find was a MAC tutorial, and I tried that method, of just dropping them into a folder in the Objects folder, but when i select scenery in game, they are not there.

Thank you for any help.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

3D modeling(with Sketchup, my weapon of choice) is like clay molding. Start with a square, and work from there. Carving out the rooms, doors, windows, etc, for whatever I'm building. Start small and work up from there if you feel the need to do so. Sketchup has the simplest learning curve in my opinion, but everyone's different. It's a bit pricey, unless you use questionable, uncondoned methods of obtaining it. *wink*

Check here for a thread that goes into more detail about the Attach Object script.

Haha, the scenery thing I think I can answer whole-heartedly and be correct.

Once you have the .3ds object(that's the technical term for 3d objects for NL/NL2, given that exact file extension), you can pretty much have it anywhere. I personally like to keep them all in the Park Directory(C:\Users\USER\Documents\com.nolimitscoaster.nolimits2\PARK_DIRECTORY)(and of course PARK_DIRECTORY and USER will be different for you depending on your park name). Once you know where they are, go into the NL2 editor and open your park. Under the scenery tab follow these steps:

NL2SCO Editor>New...>Name the object in question>Save

Back in the NL2SCO Editor with the NL2SCO you just created and Saved, click on the "..." for 3d Model, and select the .3ds object you placed in the park directory.

Save, then close. You should see the object in the preview box on the left hand side of the editor.

Change the selection from "Select/Modify" to "Add object" and click somewhere in the viewport and place your object. From there, you can switch back to "Select/Modify" to move and/or rotate it.

Of course there are a ton of shiny buttons to click, and the best way I learned was to read the NL2 help files.

Hope that helps :)
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited

Thank you for your help. I will have to look into this scripting stuff. :)

The files I downloaded from are all .nlpack and don't show up when i follow your steps. Is there something I must do to these .nlpack files first to get to the .3ds files?

edit: I think i found something called the pack extractor, I'll try that.

Edit 2: Program keeps asking me for the NoLimits root directory, and I find it, and it only gives me the option to "open" the folder. Top of screen says find the No limits Program... but I am IN the correct directory, but nothing shows up. If im at the root directory, the hell does it want me to find beyond that? O_O I guess this extractor is only for NoLimits 1.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014

Yep! Track packager is for nl1. I thought Bye Tom would have his rocks and trenches in a .zip or something more manageable. When I get home I'll make a simple 3d object for you to experiment putting in-game, so you can get the hang of it. :)
    coasterlover420, this is the error I'm getting:

Cannot save Element file (Cannot open XML-File for writing)
    Failed file: "C:\Program Files\NoLimits 2\scene objects\sds.nl2elem"

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014

I get that same error when creating a element in NL2.
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014 edited

Posted By: ElvenageYep! Track packager is for nl1. I thought Bye Tom would have his rocks and trenches in a .zip or something more manageable. When I get home I'll make a simple 3d object for you to experiment putting in-game, so you can get the hang of it. :)

Thank you. Yea all the files are .nlpack hehe
    When forming terrains, some areas only set red terrain markers which are immovable. What causes this, and how do I change red markers to white markers? I have tried moving around and editing coaster features directly in the vicinity of red markers, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Can anybody help? Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014

Red markers are caused by tunnels through terrain nearby. Unfreeze all coasters to remove all tunnels in order to prevent red markers.