Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Many thanks. That solves the mystery!
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014

What is the height of the camera/"person" when you are in walk mode?

• CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014 edited

walk mode camera height is at 1.6m

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I'm having some problems with importing NL1 coasters. When I was using the NL2 demo, I didn't really face any problems. My newly downloaded 'old' NL1 tracks (got a new laptop so had to re download my older stuff) would only appear from in game NL1 (they didnt show in the root folder via explorer). Anyway, I was able to work around this when I was using the demo but now I have the full version, I can't seem to import at all. My tracks don't show in NL1 unless I try to open them direct and even when I try to move the NL track file, it says it can't be found in the NL1 root folder.

Any ideas?

EDIT:
    Using windows 8
    • CommentAuthorole

@UncleArly: In Windows Vista/7/8, custom files cannot be saved inside the programs folders of applications, because there is no write access. Microsoft invented the virtual store to make older programs like NL1, that require custom files inside the programs to stay compatible. The virtualstore will make files appear as if they will be saved inside the programs folder to the application. In reality the files are saved somewhere else inside the user's folder. Use google to find more about the virtual store of Windows Vista.

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I know it windows 7 you would just click compatibility files to solve the problem. I've tried googling for windows 8 but no luck so far.

If anyone knows a simple way of showing me how to access them and how I can import my NL1 tracks into NL2, that would be great. I just can't figure it out.
    UncleArly the NL1 tracks are saved here. I had the same problem just make a shortcut to the files wherever you want it.

C:\Users\(insert user here)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NoLimits Coasters v1.8\tracks
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014

Still not working...

I honestly don't know what is going on :/
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2014

Is there some sort of menu you can pull up for testing when playing downloaded Packages from users? I saw on a German Tutorial someone pulled up something that allowed them to turn on and off breaks, and mess with the Track storage switches.
    I also see people talking about check the G forces of other uses coasters when viewing the Pkg file. How do you do this?
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

I think you're looking for the control panel. F4 in-simulator I believe.

And when a coaster is unfrozen in the editor(after unpacking) you can use the dropdown menu located next to the display options to select G Force Comb.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

With regards to G-Forces, you can pull up a box that displays this, along with speeds and FPS, by pressing F2 whilst in the sim.
    Not sure if this is a bug or my lack of understanding of math, but plugging in straight > 180 > straight > 180 > straight series of elements does not add up to 360. the straights do not come out anywhere near parallel. What am I missing?
    • CommentAuthorRonin

Elvenage: Sweet yes The F4 panel was what I was looking for. Thank you.
    I know about checking the G Force comb in the drop down box when unfrozen. I just didnt know I could "un pack" a users downloaded coaster. :) But Now I do. Thank you.

Sprog: Thank you. I assume you check the G forces for individual seats by having that menu open while sitting IN diff seats?
    Has there been a new update today???
    • CommentAuthorzacattack
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014

Ronin, yes, that's how you check different seats. Press F2 to open the panel, then C (car) to change car and V (vehicle) to change seat. The G forces displayed in the panel will always be for the selected car and seat, regardless of what view you're in. For example, you can be in target view and still be checking the forces for the last row.

In NL2, it will also show you which train, car, and seat you're in the speed/force panel.
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited

Zac: Thank you very much.

Anyone have any tips on Flying coasters? When building, The G force guides just seem way off. As if it's trying to calculate G forces based on a regular ride. When riders face down it puts up high positive Gs in the Editor. If its upside down (riders laying on their back) it puts on high negative G forces in the editor. But in the simulator they dont show up as high.
    When I put on a Twist, The Lateral Gs spike hard in the simulator. But in the Editor they are low.

Any tips or tricks for making these type of coasters? What is the speed I should limit the ride to? What Speed should twists be done at to stay comfortable? What is the best way to do Twists that are comfortable?
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Loaded questions there Ronin, lol.

For flying coasters, you have to take into consideration the design of the seats. They're not normal, by any means. You're lying down on your chest, or back, as opposed to your your rear end, or head. The g-force comb in-game isn't accurate for the flying seats I've come to discover. Generally speaking, 2 "negative Gs" sustained for like 5 seconds on something like a pretzel loop on an inverted 4-seat coaster would be unbearable. Your shoulders would be digging into the OTSR's and you'd leave the ride with bruises. However, on a flyer you're laying down, and sustaining 2gs on your back for 5 seconds is no big deal. Even though the editor may read it as negative Gs, you know damn well it's positive when the track goes from fly-to-lie. You have to use logic from your own experiences or common sense to accomplish this. Basically, either lying or flying you can sustain the same amount of G forces that would be comfortable on, say, any sit-down train.

Generally, when you want some kind of roll value to change like what you're describing in a twist, corkscrew, zero-g roll, etc.,(any inversion), make sure you design the track for a pop of airtime on the transition. If you just perform a 360 degree roll in a straight line, you're going to experience lateral G's. There's just no way around it. The laterals will vary depending on the speed, so there's no real dictated 'speed' to go. If you go too slow, you'll be leaning out of the sides of the seat during the roll, if you go to fast, you'll be flung out of the sides of the seats. Work the trackwork based on the current speed you have. For twists on flyers like manta and tatsu, note the slight curvature in the track where it pulls up at the apex of the inversion. Not nearly as dramatic as a corkscrew, per say, but it's there.

See :

1(twist)
    2(twist, closer)
    3(corkscrew)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAussieMine

I'm trying to sync the station to dispatch when the coaster reaches a certain point, but it won't allow me to set one up at all? How is this fixed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

There are two methods. First method you can set a strict dispatch time where the minimum, maximum, and average dispatch time are identical. Or second method add extra length to the block or lift track after the station (on the properties screen for the Type function).

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorzacattack
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited

Ronin, in general I think you just need to get a little more comfortable with checking the forces in multiple ways.

I actually had a similar discussion about this on another forum. When dealing with flying coasters I think Elevange is a little off in the sense that as far as I know, the value itself should be correct... it's just but the force type is not. For example, if you are building a flying coaster and there's a spot where riders are face up, the G-force comb will read the track as "upside down." Therefore, it might show you -2.5 Gs (for example) and be well in the red. This is obviously not right with a flyer, BUT the actual value is correct if I'm understanding right. In this case, a rider would experience +2.5 acceleration rather than -2.5 negative Gs. When dealing with flyers, you just need to learn what forces the G force comb translates to for a given position; after that you can use the value and ignore the actual color of the comb.

In the simulator, the F2/G-force/speed panel does read flyer g-forces correctly, so that's a help.

Just based on some of your posts, I think you might be relying a little too heavily on the G-force comb. For sure it's a great tool and a VAST improvement over NL2, but because it only shows you the forces in the middle of the train it only goes so far, especially when the train is very long. I was working on a B&M new-styled/staggered and those trains are quite long when they have a full 8 cars. On one of the airtime hills the G-force comb was reading perfectly fine, even on the low side. When I rode it in the sim the back rows got whipped over so fast it went up to nearly -2Gs; the comb read -.6 in that spot. So, just to be clear, this is exactly why you have to check in the sim too.

I don't know how often you enter the sim while building, but it's a good idea to do it pretty frequently. That way you know from the beginning how your track is riding in the simulator itself, versus how it's looking in the editor. An incomplete track that will eventually be a full circuit can be tested in a few ways... the easiest I've found is to simply put a block brake section at the very end. It will then run automatically; you'll just get an error message as the train crests the lift or leaves the station that can be ignored.

Do you have any images of that twist you're having a problem with? Is the G-force comb showing in the editor and it's spiking in one of the front or back cars in the sim, or is it spiking in the middle where the G-force comb is reading?
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

Thanks Elvenage and Zac, You've been a great help.

Zac: Thanks to ELevenage's advice, about cresting upword to try and get a small pocket of airtime the Lateral Gs on the rolls are under control in the sim. It was spiking in the front car, on the outter seat. I keep forgetting to check the back car, but i trying to remind myself to check hehe.
    And yes, I often pop into Sim mode to see how the train runs while I build. I relied exclusively on the G force comb, until you pointed it out to me in the rating thread. That is why I was so confused when that guy said my Negative Gs reached -1.9G. I dindt know about the F2 G force in Sim mode. Now that i know how to check Gs IN sim, I will do it even more.
    ^A was mentioned, the G force comb can be deceptive and you have to know what you are actually looking at.

As for laterals, I personally feel that it is safe to go higher than a normal ride, as you can expect Gs to get between 1.0 and 1.5 during a roll, as long as you have a smooth transition into it. Remember that besides being prone, the OTSRs (Over The Shoulder Restraints) also have a soft harness built in which helps hold the rider in place and keep them from banging around during odd positioning.
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

No problem Ronin; glad you were able to figure things out a bit.

Now I have my own question: I can't get the overlays to work, anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of information... all I've been doing is trying to load a .jpg into the Overlay tab in Preferences but it's not showing up in the editor no matter how much I fiddle with the scale or transparency. What could I be doing wrong? Am I possibly doing it in the wrong order? I have the editor split into 4 viewports so at first I thought I just didn't know which viewport was numbered what but even when I tried to set the same imagine and changed the views around in all 4 ports I couldn't see it.

I have seen others using the overlay feature so I don't think this is a bug... I think I'm just confused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Under the display options (where you can hide vertices, scenery, etc) you have to enable the overlay. This allows you to turn it on and off quickly as needed.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Your overlay preferences window should look something like:

And make sure your display tab has Overlay CHECKED. Mine is UNCHECKED.

EDIT: Curse you Ride_Op and your quick response time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

I strike like a ninja.

Nice work on the screens though!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorRonin

Ok, looks like I spoke too soon. hehe. Been messing around with this roll for about 40 mins. I have gotten the lateral Gs down to 1.1G.-1.5G I'm not sure how comfortable such Gs would be. There is one point at the end where it "seems" to dip into the red, but it happens so fast I can't even pause on it to see what the number is. I'm a little stumped on it now. I guess nothing left to do but reduce the speed maybe?

• CommentAuthorElvenage

well...either reduce the speed or spread out the roll. Flyers are notorious for slow rolls. Also, is it heartlined?
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

If you lower the banking some on the straightish section before it, that might not be the worst place for a trim anyway.

derp on the enabling overlay... got it, thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: ElvenageThe g-force comb in-game isn't accurate for the flying seats I've come to discover.

I don't know why you struggle that much with flying g-forces guys, lol. It's quite simple when you get it.
    It's still accurate, but as your position changed, the effects of the differents kind of g-forces changed accordingly.

The positive/negative becomes acceleration/deceleration for flying.
    The acceleration/deceleration become positive/negative for flying.
    And laterals are still laterals.

Basically, a flying coaster car is like a normal coaster car that would run on a perpendicular track:

(Amazing Paint skills, ok, don't be jelly)

It was clear in my head, hope you get the essential idea behind it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^ It's hard to create flying coaster in the editor because there is no visual representation of the acceleration g's like there is the vertical and lateral g's.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Gah. That comment is going to haunt me for life. Every comment responding to it is exactly what I know in my head, but my fingers had trouble typing out lol. I understand the concept 100% in my mind, even if I struggle to explain it to someone else. Although I hope this detailed discussion will help others who get confused.

P.S. King, your MSPaint skills are beautiful lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

^^Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the vertical forces displayed in the editor are the acceleration G's on a flyer, pretty much like there's no visualisation for acceleration forces for a "vertical sitting" coaster.
    Yes, the comb in the editor is showing the accelerational G's for a flying coaster, what becomes confusing is that the G-force limits are being shown for vertical Gs, hence, it often shows it going into the red in the editor when it would otherwise be fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

To avoid confusion you could set the vertical G-force limits to something like +/- 2.5-3 g while working on a flyer (go to preferences and select the tab "limits").
    • CommentAuthorzacattack
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014 edited

I saw ride-op mention about adding extra length to a block a few posts ago... what exactly does this do? I mean, I understand that it extends the border of the block but what does this accomplish and in what instances would it be used?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014

The block will remain in an occupied state until the train passes the extra block length border. We added this to properly handle launch tracks. On a real coaster like Kingda Ka or Blue Fire, train 2 can't move into launch position until train 1 has cleared the highest point of the track ahead of the launch. On real coasters engineers place sensors that detect when a train is clear of the apex so the computer knows a rollback will not happen. Then train 2 can advance and enter the launch start position.

Extra block length performs this function by moving the block border further down the track by the specified distance. It is useful for launches like these examples and useful for controlling a minimum separation distance on coasters with dual stations.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorstejorin

ahh I see this is probably why nodes tell you how far down a track they are

Do not copy the comment above yours! -staff
    I'm guessing scripting is the solution here, but for the extra block length on the station, it isn't able to go past another block brake. However what I'm trying to recreate is Flight of Fear's launch, where the block goes from the beginning of the station to the top half of the cobra roll. however there are "launch brakes" right before the cobra roll which only stop the train if there is a fault in the system or emergency, etc. So what happens in real life is the train behind the station in the waiting brakes can't enter the station until the train ahead has cleared the top of the cobra roll. This is in case the launch does abort for whatever reason, and the train needs to be pushed back into the station; it would be difficult/require a machine/crane type thing to pull the train back from the station into the waiting brakes.

I don't want to set the launch brakes as a trim brake, because in an e-stop situation they need to close. Is there any way to do this besides scripting? I know you can obviously just set a wait time in the waiting brakes, but I want it to be how it is in real life- if the train arrives at the waitings and there's no train in the block ahead, then it will automatically be able to clear. I know NL2 is great and it can't cover every special situation, but I thought it'd be cool to try and figure it out. I'm obsessed with perfecting it because I used to work that ride and I love it to death. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Posted By: ride_op[...]
    On a real coaster like Kingda Ka or Blue Fire, train 2 can't move into launch position until train 1 has cleared the highest point of the track ahead of the launch. On real coasters engineers place sensors that detect when a train is clear of the apex so the computer knows a rollback will not happen. Then train 2 can advance and enter the launch start position.
    [...]
    -Ride_Op

This is kind of what I implemented in my random rollback script just because I wasn't sure how the "Block Length" option would work across multiple brakes sections. At the top of my strata-coaster tower there is a trim brake similar to the one on Kingda Ka, if the train passes over the train, it's gone past the point of no return and has no chance of rolling back and the next train moves into the launch position. If the train doesn't pass the trim it rolls back on to the launch and resets for another launch.
    • CommentAuthorRonin
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014 edited

delete
    • CommentAuthorzacattack

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, okay, I got the extra block lengths now-- I think.

Edit: deleted previous question because I was confused.

I understand it in concept, but I guess what I'm not understanding is how to set up that kind of launch in the editor, i.e. where to include the extra block length etc. Should it be added to the stop brake before the launch, and should the distance include the entire launch and the distance to the top of whatever large element?

I'm not comfortable with scripting, but it sounds as though it's not necessary to accomplish this... although I suppose it would be nice to be able to achieve a random roll-back effect using what's available in the editor. I guess that's not possible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014

Yes, the extra block length should extend from the launch block brake through the launch and to the top of the highest hill following the launch. The block system has been programmed to keep the launch brake showing "occupied" until the train passes the end of the block border.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorhyyyper

At the moment I am building a coaster than has a backwards portion with a launch. However, I could not see any scripting commands for directly controlling a transport section. I think three things are possible:
    1. I have overlooked something and I can use scripting to control transport sections.
    2. The launch should be a brake run so I can use scripting to control the launch section.
    3. The system will automatically launch the train backwards without any additional scripting.

Any of you know more on this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014

I'm wanting to start learning to script for NL2. I was wondering if anybody has a video they wouldn't mind linking ?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks :)
    • CommentAuthorsoldier148
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014

Is there a way you can have a certain car on a different track? I'm making in Intamin looper with mine cars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

•  
      CommentAuthorAussieMine

I have a problem. Everytime I play in the simulator, testing the ride and stuff. It automatically sets the time, to dark. and even if I set it to like, 12:00Pm it sets it to night time. (It's not the file, it's doing it on all rides)
    • CommentAuthorsoldier148

Okay that might help, even though I finished my design. It's basically a Pinfari TL59, Intamin style like the Indiana Jones Coaster. I'm fine with the hyper car for now but what I'm currently on are the supports.... It just seems like a lot of work to make them look good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Is there a way to script in for a lift hill to "release", as in while the train is climbing the lift hill, you can choose to "release" the chain and left the train roll back down the lift hill, kind of like Big Grizzly Mountain Railway at Hong Kong Disneyland. I thought unmarking "Has anti rollback device" would do this, but that just seems to be for show.