Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014

That Station looks really great! Good job on this! :D This will be another cool project of your creativity! Nice! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014 edited

Ok guys, the ride is done!

I would like to give a big shout-out to Chukensky for his beautiful cartexture, and to TheDarkStar for his wonderful work on the video you can see right here. You guys are amazing, I'm really happy of the outcome, thanks a lot!

Yùyán ride video

Expect a ride release next Monday! =)
    It was a pleasure working with the coaster. I absolutely loved creating the video. : )

Lovely trackwork, as always.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014

It was a nice video. I thought the ride was a bit shaky when watching the POV, but when I saw it backwards it was fine. Must have been my imagination. The layout was really nice, I specially liked how fast the inversions and that Stengel Dive style element were taken. Original but keeping in mind Gerstrauler style. Overall I enjoyed it. Nice work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2014

Thanks guys, and here you go track is released on the Exchange!

I enjoyed making this ride with the help of Chukensky and TheDarkStar, so I hope you'll enjoy riding it to! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014 edited

Today I went right to the S&S factory to test their new machine they talked about at the IAAPA (you lie). It's called the Swing Shot, and I have no clue what it is (stop lying).
    Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Woohoo, the S&S factory! It's written there. Uh-oh, I see something in the background.

Shadow of "the thing".

OMG what is that?! The SWING SHOT! *Loud crack of thunder and Two Steps From Hell playing full blast*

Breaking the fourth wall a second - the ride is inspired by a simulation of an imaginary ride made a while ago, called Nova (I loooved it!). I can't find it again, will look for it. But it's also based on a ride S&S actually manufactured, the very cute Mini Hu! Just a tad bigger version. A tad.

Ok, so I asked an engineer, and he explained me how the thing works:

First, the ride is in "loading mode". The main arm is lowered, and the counterweight is disconnected.

When riders are strapped in, two powerful jacks raise the counterweight and the later is coupled to the main arm. The counterweight is equal or heavier than the seat assemblies. The ride is now "tensioned", like a sling shot before take off.

The engineers told me that before coming with this version, they had another prototype, the MK-01, which featured an alternative kind of counterweight operation. This one moved the counterweight along a straight path, as shown in this early picture they gave me:

(That actually was my first version. It bothered me that the axis was splitted so I went with another solution. And anyways the ride needed to be scaled down. Notice the different seats, and even the fence was outrageously tall)

Ok, let's take a seat to find out how the take off feels like.

As you can expect with S&S ; a full tank of air (not shown) releases its pressure, and with the help of the counterweight, shots the seats into the sky. Woooosh!

I wasn't allowed to take videos, but they provided me with a simulation, using a software called No-Boundaries or something like that. It features the old counterweight system, but still, the speed and motion is somewhat accurate: Simulation of the motion.

Passengers experience a mind-blowing -1g during several seconds. Extreme airtime all the way accross.

I tried to take an onride shot...

This drone shot is far better. The thing is about 40m tall by the way.

Sure it's tall.

Some overviews...

I'd like to thank the S&S crew for letting me ride this beast called the Swing Shot!

Hope you guys enjoyed this trip report! =)

(Well, as you may have noticed, this was built solely using supports (except for the in-game power poles). Anyone willing to make a custom flat-ride out of that is kindly welcomed. :p)
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014

I could have a go at making it, but I'm having a hard time imagining a part of it, do the seats stay facing upright the entire time, or do they swing/rotate freely?
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Is that made out of supports?..
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

Oh I wish this was real... :(
    Take notes S&S.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014 edited

^^^ Yes, entierely build out of supports! It's not really optimized (ie. the fence is full 3D) but that's the only way I know.

Posted By: Projektiondo the seats stay facing upright the entire time, or do they swing/rotate freely?

I think having them stay upright the entire time is better, because it's an airtime machine. Well, ideally they'd have to bow a little at the extremities to avoid high acceleration g-forces (like 20°facing the ground for intern seats/the sky for outer ones).

EDIT: v I PM'ed you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Could I get a copy of the park so I have some measurements to work with?
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014 edited

Here's the first version of the script:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllctKyrea4&feature=youtu.be

There is a slight stutter whenever the swing reaches it's furthest point its not really noticeable unless you put the simulation speed higher, but I'll try and see if I can fix it.

If you want me to touch up anything/how the ride plays out, just tell me and I'll see what I can do. As for the cables, I'll sort them soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2014

Dude, great work!

Concerning the animation:
    - Looking at it, I think we can play the animations of the arm getting slightly raised and the counterweight together, it will save a few seconds. Basically getting to position one (load) to two (ready) in one step instead of two.
    - Yeah the ride does struggle a little when it reaches the ends, if you can fix that and makes it "bounce" more, it would be better (think about a S&S Space Shot). But I don't know how scripting works so maybe it's not possible.
    - It seems like you have only one "full swing" then it immediately decreases. Maybe add a few more, like 4-5, before decreasing it (and reduce the number of those). The counterweight does help to the swings, but there would also be a air-compressed input, which would help keeping the same power each time. Basically now what you have is like a swing that we would raise to the max and freely release it until it stops, while what I though was more of a Swing Shot routine, with more full swings. ;)

Hope I'm not nit-picking too much, you already did a great job and it's so thrilling to see what I did in motion! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014

Here's a modified version of the script
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK4xJfCoXIg&feature=youtu.be

The counterweight now rises at the same time as the seats and also a little bit faster. The ride does 6 full swings then starts straightening up. I don't think I'm able to get rid of the stutter, I'll keep messing around with my limited scripting knowledge, but I don't think I'll be able to get ride of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Per-fect. :D

As for the stutter, isn't that the same motion as your Screamin' Swing (upside-down, obviously)? That one has the perfect bounce.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Same motion, but the script has been heavily modified making it a lot more compact (I made the screaming swing script when I was just getting into scripting. It's so terrible, you couldn't even Imagine it). I've managed to fix the stutter on the big main swings, but I'm still having trouble on the straightening up ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015

Remember Arm-Lift? Well, two years after the first version, I finally managed to come with a technical solution to my problem. A single arm wasn't enough, I wanted to increase the capacity and have two of them. I really struggled to find a satifying solution...

Let me introduce you...

Animation of the arms in motion

Learn more and find more pictures on IDeA Entertainment's Facebook page. (I don't want to spam the board with 20+ hi-res images, plus there's a lot more of random stuffs I don't post here)

Hope you like it! (And no it doesn't work in NL2, it's made with supports.)
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

That looks awesome!
    Wow that's really awesome! I really like the idea of having two arm-lifts to increase capacity. At first I couldn't figure out how the two pieces of track don't collide with each other :P But then I realized there's this rail that the arm runs on to avoid collision. Pretty genius (not to mention it'd be really scary to feel the ride sway slightly while you're going up :O)! Now to put that element on a Cannibal / Karnan-sized ride :P
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

That's really cool. It'd be a maintenance nightmare tough and if someone got stuck oh man that would certainly cause trouble. Neat Idea though
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

on the topic of your wooden flyer, i made rmc inverted trains if anyone really wants to undertake that project^ very cool idea for the arm lift, i love it
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

I love that concept, really cool and creative! And it would be absolutely terrifying to ride....
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

I really like that lift arm concept!
    It's a shame it's out of supports. Would love to see this as scripted 3d Object.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015 edited

Hey guys, long time no see here! (Plus my Internet is broken so I'm not so much on the forums these days...)

Remember the S&S factory tour I had last year? Well, I got another call from them, they got a new thing they want me to try!

Looks like a Swoop Swoop to me.

Oh, what's that. A... pirate ship Swoop Swoop?

Getting closer.

Let's get this thing movin'!

Wait - is that supposed to do that?

Oh, I get it, it swings and the pod rotates on the opposite direction! It reminds me of a Chance Swinging Inverter (Submission at Alton towers), except it doesn't go upside down.

The fact it swings rather than doing a whole rotation provide an AMAZING airtime when you're at the top.

The feeling of getting out of your seat is incredible, and do you believe me when I say I almost lost my camera taking this pic?? D:
    Well, you shouldn't, it's NoLimits, it's not real, so stop believing anything you read on the Internet.

Well, that's it, I hope you enjoyed the report! You may have noticed the colors that can give you a clue about where such a ride could potentially be installed..!

See you (when my Internet will be working again...)!
    1 word: AWESOME!!
    Awesome. Great work! Its a little too green to be in Logan Utah lol at least at S&S's plant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Thanks guys!

Haha yeah I added a bit of greenery this year, I know it's not really true to Logan, but that wonderful skybox (thanks to Bjorn once again) comes with no background, so it feels a bit awkward on its own. I wanted to put the desert but I don't know if you can have that with a custom skybox.

Anyway, I still need a name for it. It shall obey to the double S rule. Any suggestions?

Oh, and before I leave, here is the ride pattern!

• CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

Swinging Shock? lol im bad at names
    Sky Swap?
    ...projektion?
    ^^^Needs some mountains too lol

Great work though.

A name hmmmm.......

Space Swatter
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

Pelvis Crusher
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^^That's a funny name suggestion...

^^I think that would be a good name for it.
    Now. If I were to give examples on emergency errors This would be quite bad...

Say the seat section actually got locked in position at the outer angles and started to come back. That'll be a fun moment for those at the end, not... But it is a coo idea. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

I like Swoop Swoop as a name.
    ^Best name. Good thing KingRCT3 chose it.
    How about Face-Off?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

I think Alap Alap would be a good name. http://rcdb.com/1395.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017 edited

Well, long time no see!

Bascially for about two years, I have this project that makes its way in my head from times to times... But since I'm pretty stuck with it, I decided to share with you what I came up with, so far.

Introduction

It all started as a random coaster without any theme. I had various elements I wanted to include in a coaster, but had no idea how to lay them properly. I asked a friend, TheCreativeStudio, to the rescue and see what he could do with that. We started brainstorming.

After various ideas being expressed, I knew what theme I wanted to go with, and this would even help with the layout.

From now on was born...

Project DRONE

So it's not a name whatsoever, but it should give a hint about the theming. Bascially drones. Nothing less than "your train would be a drone, how cool is that?".

Here is a drawing I made of said train:

It's a three-row train with a unique combinaison of 3-4-3 seats, and features four moving drone blades. The blades would make noise, be awesome to look at, and even help with the "storyline".

You are a passenger of a fully automated drone (blah blah last generation, blah blah nothing can go wrong), and you'll assist at a technical demonstration... directly seated on the drone itself!
    The demo is a race against the clock. The drone has to accomplish a circuit by going through rings or gates, just like real-world racing drones do.

-

The first element was quite unique back when I designed it... It's a two-launch start with a trackswitch! Look at what it looked like. Pretty familiar by now, uh? But in February 2015 it did not exist. Only Premier Rides mentionned something about their Dragonfire creation, but without really explaining the concept, actually.
    Now is this better with two or three launches, I don't know. I liked two, because it was like stepping back for a faster start, but I'm not sure how far you can go up on the tower with one backward launch only.

Anyway, here it is on the drone coaster:

While going backward, christmas lights would go tut tut tuuuut (sorry for the scientific terms), and on the last one you would rush through the starting line, triggering the said clock.

Here is the first element. It's a non-inverted immelman if you will:

But if you look closely, you'll see that the exit is inclined at over 90°!

It's basically what the drop of Lech Coaster does... but I did it first >:(... :

Then comes this particular loop I created in 2015:

I was inspired by the figure-eight loop seen on this coaster, and wanted to make a rideable version. I really like the outcome.

The third element is once again tall, as I want the first part to be really aerial and acrobatic. It's an outward banked banana roll:

Lost Gravity much? Yeah, but I did it first back in 2014 or earlier (it's NoLimits 1!). And shall I remind you the banana roll was also a design of mine, even though at least one NL track featured this element before I came up with mine (on my own, tho).

The top is around 0g, blades going slow, classic flight manoeuver:

Then it's time for the MCBR, threading the first element...

...and creating a cool headchopper on the first-drop:

From now on, the coaster enters the second part of the layout. I haven't thought much about the why/how (here I'm stuck), but basically things go wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017

Right when I started this project, I wanted to include this element: a lift from a MCBR. But not any lift... Click here to see what was special with it. (warning silly music ahead)

Yep, it's a lift featuring a backward free-fall drop! This time, I can't deny, Karnan was first, haha. But where my version is different, is that we engage the lift at mid-height already, from the MCBR. Two advantages: the first climb is shorter in time ; and also shorter in lenght: if we hide the track-switch and drop from the guest view, they'll be surprised to drop further than what they've just climbed.

Now to put this element within the drone storyline, I came up with a few wacky ideas... In short, the drone comes low on battery and has to refill itself. As you -as a guest- saw in the queue line, drones refill on wall-mounted stations. Hence why we're going inside a building, and start going in a vertical position. But things go wrong, and our drone needs to restart. Lights out, and we plunge to the ground... The drone resets, and we go up again.

You probably noticed the weird drop on the video. It's also a design I came up with some times ago.
    In this storyline, the drone would slowly crawl to the top of the lift, toward a gate labelled "junk" or "garbage" or whatnot. You see, your drone is flawed, so it's useless... It's going to be destroyed.

You go over the top, right on the slanted brake section (like Takabisha), and in front of you are two rotating cylinders with metal teeth, ready to destroy you...

But when you plunge, there's a tiny LED lighting up on your lap-bar, stating your drone went in manual mode. The blades start rotating again, and you perform the 180° twist to get away!

About the lap-bar, I want something original. Maybe something loosely resembling the shape of a drone controller, or something that would put you in a position similar to Captain Kirk in Star Trek, with two joysticks to hold on.
    A neat effect that I don't know if possible or not, would be to have the handlers/joysticks fixed throughout the first part of the ride, and right when it goes in manual mode, make them loose. As you'd be right in a 180° twist, you'll be thighty holding to them, so it would surprises you and make you feel like you're really controlling the chaotic path of the drone.

-

I felt like this lift/hidden drop would require a big building, and I really struggled to find an artistic direction for the ride ; plus it would require scripting, animation, ect. So, budget cuts, and now I got an alternative version.

Instead of a lift, we now have, straight out of the MCBR, a launch:

Then it's the same deal, with the twisted drop and manual mode that leads the drone in a total madness:

We gained a great airtime over the top, tho. Here it is with the first part visible:

The second part is (also) where I'm stuck at. I don't really know how to do it. I want it to occurs mostly in trenches , with many s-turns, headchoppers and last-minute maneuvers (*cough* Star Wars Death Star scenes *cough*). It would really clash with the first aerial, acrobatic first part. I'm wondering if the track color should change as well..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017 edited

So I'm stuck there, but there's a last element I definitely want to implement. It's a slow-mo Zero-g Roll.
    Context: the music will be intense, you'll fly through the trenches, and then you'll head toward [something], and that [something] would either close down (if it's like a door), or fall down, or... So you'll start a roll maneuver, and then the slow-mo kicks in. The soundtrack will have the whoosh effect, various visual cues with enhance the sensation (imagine light rays coming throught vent blades, slowing down. If you only see the light and not the source, it could be a video projection), and of course your own drone's blades going slow.
    But the best part is that you'll physically experience the slow motion. The top part is of course zero-g, and the roll rate decreased. So you enter a rather "violent" roll, then feel like you're going slow-mo as the roll rate is lower. Then as soon as the door or whatever is past you, you return to normal speed and the roll get "violent" again.

This stunt would mark the end of the ride (with a blast!). I had various design idea for the final brake run as well, as I wanted to make you feel like the drone was crashing. I may put one last head-chopper when the train already slowed down a bit.

In the most ambitious version(s), the unloading plateform was to be a dead-end (like, you literally crashed and you had to get out of you drone in a hurry). The track here would actually be on an elevator, and it would rises up to the loading dock when guests would be out of sight.

Wrap-Up

Well, I don't really know what to say here, but I wanted to do a presentation like TheBeatles, so...

Nah, just a quick note tho. I have this project for two years, and TheCreativeStudio offered help (he also started a custom train! He is awesome), but as I can't make-up my dang mind, he can't really do anything. Anyway, I wanted to make this post to get this off off my chest. Maybe one day I'll be able to release it as a finished product, maybe not.

I'm stuck with the second part of the layout (I'd want to draw inspiration from GCI shaping and their awesome ride dynamics), and on top of that, I'm mainly stuck with the artistic direction of the whole thing. Drones yes, but futuristic drones in a clean environment (Mirror's Edge)? Military drones (Stargate)?... I don't know! Same for the storyline, it's still sketchy...

I hope you enjoyed reading all of this, and if a point or two sound unclear, feel free to ask questions. Likewise, I'm eager to hear your opinion/ideas!
    No this looks terrible, just stop, delete it, just delete NL2, or throw out your computer.

No this looks awesome, I had the idea of drone flying too (I think almost everybody was inspired by drones at some point).
    But the fact that my ''3d object attach to train stuff something''-skills are terrible I never did anything with the idea.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017

I like the concept and uniqueness of it a lot, all of the elements are really cool. I personally think it's really ugly though, especially the MCBR lift and drop thing. The drone idea is pretty cool though, I can envision a kind of Mirror's Edge/Test Track style environment around it.

I definitely like the original lift drop better, the new version just looks awkward. I do think the old version would benefit from being launched back up after the drop section though. I think it would work better with the pacing instead of slowly rising up.

• CommentAuthorkryptos001
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017 edited

Going back to the original idea (because I love the idea of the twisting lift section), what if you just put the excess track underground? Then you could attach the new layout to the old lift and get the height you were going for.
    wh... what... wh... *Clears eyes* wh... well then, that is the most bizarre layout ive seen in nl2 so far. Congratulations! what on earth are the forces like on that drop after the mcbr?
    Posted By: element 115what on earth are the forces like on that drop after the mcbr?

horrible
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

^ Shatap. x)
    Yeah I gave TDS the file and he totally roasted me. :(
    Nah but actually this is still in brainstorming stage, that means the centerline calculation hasn't started yet. It's only tests to mess around. I don't know how many versions of the layout I made, but I have 16 park files and maybe 2/3 iterations on each one.
    Anyway.

-

I might come back to the lift/drop thing as I see you guys really like that (so do I). I, for myself, like the launch variant, bu I can see why you find it ugly. I think that's the kind of thing that grows on you!

My problem with the lift-drop wasn't the height kryptos, but the amount of work and extra building it requires. I really fretted over how to "justify" that part in term of the storyline. Why would you climb a vertical lift? Why would you fall backward, why would, etc. For it to be awesome, the scenery would have to be top-notch and coherent, it requires a CTR, lights scripts, the track switch, etc.
    Also, I had the idea of the dump sequence for drama (*Toy Story 3 flash back*), but why the heck there be a dump here, how to make that area not visible from the outside, etc.

Soo many questions that I simply simplified with the launch, like alright, screw it.

CoasterGuy, a launch would be neato, and in any case I think this lift would have to be 100% LSM anyway (because of the trackswitch). I don't know if it's possible in term of power requirement as it's very hard to launch a static vehicle on a vertical track. And I must say I like the vertigo feel you can get while slowly approching the +90° drop.
    This is to be considered. :)