Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited

Hey guys,

since it appears that everyone is doing one of those I'll jump on the bandwagon, too. ;)

This thread will be dedicated to all my upcoming project in NL2. The other projects I've already started will stay in their own threads, though - and they are going to be released eventually. Have fun while looking through my stuff, and if you leave a comment you can be sure it'll be appreciated! :)

Overview:

#001: Energy - Mack Family Coaster

I thought it might be interesting to present you my first attempt at making a NL2 coaster. I've been working on it since Sunday. As I haven't finished a project for a while my goal was to have fun playing around in NL2. And this is the result, I can't believe how fast I was able to complete it (I just noticed I haven't set up the lift hill supports properly - oh well). Please tell me what you think about it, as always comments are appreciated!

Download: Here or Steam Workshop

#002: World of Adventures - Terrain park

Full video: Clicky

#003: Honeycomb Cruiser - B&M Family Hyper Coaster

Download: Steam Workshop

#004: Screamworld [WIP]

Download: currently not available

#005: Flight of the Bumblebee [Gerst in a Box Contest]

Full video: currently not available

#006: Shark Hunt [High Capacity Thrill Machine Contest]

Download: Google Drive or Steam Workshop

Full video: currently not available
    It looks really good. Does the drop have a straight/near straight segment to have a Bizzaro kind of feel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited

^Thanks for the comment! Actually, I didn't want to make it straight I therefore redid the first drop, but it seems I still need to practice. haha
    Should I upload this project? And what about a video? Any feedback is still appreciated. :)

[image removed for better loading times]
    Looks very cool. you should consider changing it to a hyper style however, OTSRs don't seem right for an intamin mega-lite
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2014

^Well, it is a Mack...
    I think that you should upload it, Baadrix. I like this coaster a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014

^^^And also: What OTSRs? xD

^Thank you!

After fixing some support issues I can safely say this coaster is finished and will probably be uploaded next Monday (which will be my first upload in 1.5 years btw!).
    Wow, really? 1.5 years??
    Posted By: TheRobloxcoastermanWow, really? 1.5 years??

Ha, my 2 year anniversary of my last ride is in April...

I like it baadrix, great first upload for NL2.
    Posted By: baadrix^^^And also: What OTSRs? xD

Whoops. Thought it was the rocket coaster style. I might have been quite tired when I posted that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014 edited

#002: World Of Adventures

I decided to start a new park with a few coaster. I plan to connect by a system of paths, I honestly don't know if I'm able to pull this off properly - we'll see. So I played around with the in-game terraformer a created a landscape which should be interesting to put some coaster in. Having worked on the park for a little bit over one week it already contains a (probably improvable) hand-built 4D coaster and a quite special B&M coaster made in FVD++, more of it later. But at first, some pictures of the S&S 4D coaster. I hope you like those ideas, I'll be glad about any help or constructive criticism! Please tell me what you think.

[images removed for better loading times]

And now: Prepare for the probably most unrealistic(?) B&M coaster ever:

Picture linked to increase page loading time
    Yep, six cars which make up to 60 people per car - imagine the screaming of all people. haha
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014

Your colour schemes are fantastic ! The cobra roll seems interesting ....
    Can the trains actually navigate that cobra roll properly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014

Yeah, all the other elements seem built pretty well for the size and length of the trains but the cobra just seems so ridiculously tiny haha.
    IF you're going to call it an S&S coaster, that 4D is extremely unrealistic. 4D coasters simply aren't wing coasters. They have significantly different layouts, and considering how expensive they are, most parks try and pack a punch within a short layout. Also, if you're going to launch that multi-ton train at 75mph, you're going to need some pretty beefy supports. The mechanics and design approach behind the 4D coaster are very different from a wing coaster.
    Baadrix... Why?! D: Now my Wing Dive Machine idea's been executed before I can even get NL2. :( Would love to see how you execute your ideas, though, cause they seem pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014

@TheBeatles

Lighten up. Supports could be beefier, sure, but who cares if the 4D layout looks nothing like what exists in real life? What's productive about crapping on Baadrix's take on a 4D just because it doesn't fit the mold of what you think is realistic? Just because the mechanics and design approach to existing 4D coasters doesn't match existing wing coasters doesn't mean it's unrealistic to create a ride that incorporates elements of both. It also doesn't mean that Baadrix frankly cares if it's nuts to bolts realistic... this is the same thread where he's posted a 6 car dive coaster designed like a wing coaster, after all.

• CommentAuthorDojynn
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014 edited

^ Agreed! so much importance is placed on trying to match what a particular manufacture has "so far" completed. Such archaic thinking just boggles my mind. If everybody were to think that way we wouldn't have such simple elements as a loop!!! Come on people, invent and push the limits!!! After all it is called "NOLIMITS"> perfect example, who would have thought they'd have an inversion on a woodie!!! Let the imagination flow!!! I had incorporated a heart line roll into a 4 seat invert over a year ago ('Dragon's Lair")and had complaints that it does not fit the "Style" and well low and behold look what is on Banshee today! Build what you want, it is your very own personal train set! Just enjoy the rides!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014 edited

Thanks for the feedback, guys! It means a lot to me.

Btw, the 4D coaster is named "Eagle Wings" and the ... err ... Dive Rider is called "Behemoth". Are these names any good?

I understand both sides about the 4D being a realistic coaster or not. But originally, I've never intended to call it an S&S 4D coaster, I guess I was a little tired when I wrote that. Sorry about causing confusion in the first place! :\

Posted By: CrazycoasterCan the trains actually navigate that cobra roll properly?
    I'd say yes, but see for yourself. Please tell me if you need some more angles! :)

Here are also some pictures of the new supports I built today. What do you think?

•  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014

The cobra roll looks fine in the pictures, just make sure to check the G-forces carefully. With these wide trains there are huge differences in lateral G-forces depending on which seat you're in.

The supports looks alright, but the one on the very left in the last picture does not have the right track connector. I'm not quite sure about the support with the kink in it, but I dont have any good suggestions for other solutions.

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014 edited

^Thanks for the comment, viking!

Update on supports! What do you think? Flanges will be added once all supports are fininshed.

• CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

What is the RPH on the B&M Dive? LOLOL
    • CommentAuthorKaiju
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

Judging by the tightness of the crest on that cobra roll, I would suggest changing that to a batwing.
    ^Yeah or just a big horshoe turn. Your gonna have to make the track spine and supports a lot beefier btw.
    A bunch of your connectors look like they have the wrong orientation, like in the 5th picture. It looks like a vertical connection would work so much better instead. I'd also watch out for the connectors going through the track seams, in the last update you had a couple and it detracts from the look but other than that everything is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014 edited

-- UPDATE --

@Real: Well, in theory about 3,000 people per hour when operating with two trains (dispatch on average every 72 seconds). ;)

@Kaiju, Kyle: I would change it if I hadn't placed all supports. Unfortunately, this is an FVD++ track, so I can't change it anymore. But the maximum lats are at ~0.5 g while the vertical forces go up to 3.9 g, so I think it should be fine.

Changes since the last update:

• I used the large spine on most of the track (except for the top parts of the Immelmann and the Cobra Roll).
    • Rail connectors don't intersect seams anymore. It's pretty easy to avoid this. Just place style connectors where you want to have the seams.
    • Supports are finished and have flanges.
    • I also raised the hillside footers.

I hope you like those changes. I'd love to hear about your thoughts! :) If anyone likes to have a look at this beast just give me a shout.

I've also got "some" pictures for you:

• CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014

LOL 3k per hour. I hope you have Disney-esque crowds to help with that! :P
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014

The only problem with the lats on the very left outer seats are in the heartline roll before the final brakes. The lats get up to -1.5. The cobra roll has good low lats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited

^^I reduced the amount of cars to 5 and increased the loading time to 80 seconds on average, so 2,250 pph seems to be more realistic (and I could even increase the loading time a little bt more). :P

^Thanks for testing, TOGO! 1.5 g is a little much, it could be fun, though.

-- UPDATE --

Work on a new coaster have begun. What do you think? Hope you like it.

Huh, a new coaster?

The trains haven't been delivered yet.

But the supports of the last turn have been built.

How tall might the lift hill be? And what about the zero-g roll?

Overview
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014 edited

Is it kinda like a lifthill version of S&S's crazy launch coasters they've installed in China?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014 edited

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy this week.

^It was supposed to be completely my own style while doing some crazy things like I did on Gravity Racer or Sawmill. \shameless self-advertisement
    But when I look at the S&S (&S) launch coasters there's an obvious similarity. It seems like it got ... well ... inspired unintentionally. :P

Anyway, here's an update for you all:

First drop

Completed supports and track on the first elements

Up to the MCBR

View from the lift hill

Exit of the Immelmann-thingy

View from the bottom
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014

Awesome style! I love both the figure and the support-work. ;)

How tall is that?

•  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014 edited

I think you have just given me inspiration to redo a coaster I once did for a NL competition a loooong time ago, I called it Chaos and its still great fun to ride.

Chaos

Seriously, I really like what I see so far. Some really cool and unique looking elements! Looking foraward to see more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014 edited

Thanks for the comments, they mean a lot to me (and they motivate me quite much)!

^^The absolute height is about 58 m (190 ft), the difference between the heighest and the lowest point of the track is 56 m (184 ft). The non-inverting loop is 46 m (151 ft) tall.

^Looks very interesting, I hope we'll see this or the remake someday on the exchange!

No comment without a screenshot (I hope Archy is okay with that since it was his idea to use the mine train as a park express):
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014

This looks promising ...
    Looks really cool actually.

I really hope you take the effort to make custom supports for that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited

Thanks, guys!

^Hmm, if I do custom supports for this they surely won't be steel supports, I'm afraid I simply don't have the time to learn how to do custom wooden supports and then also place them. I want this project to be finished someday in the end ... ;)

So let's vote: Pre-fabs and some custom steel supports or auto-generated wooden supports?
    The situation would be different if someone would like to help me with custom wooden supports, of course ... ;)

So far the layout for Adventure Express has been finished. Here are some screenshots:

Station "Nessie" (still have to find another name, it'll also probably become a single-tracked station)

Bridge over a small valley

Another angle of the bridge

Station "Roc", on the way to Behemoth
    (I still need to beef up the supports of Roc)

Long way to the (planned) entrance of the park

Still riding

Last turn before the station at the entrance

Up to Nessie again

Some turns to make this ride more fun

Bonus screenshot (poster)
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

As for the mine train, personally I'd prefer the solution we used most often in NL1 - auto generated wooden supports with custom bracing where needed. The mine train looks infinitely better with the wooden supports and much more like an actual train transport system.
    I'm in love with this park. The mine train being a true terrain hugger is a great addition.

I love love love the layout the of dive machine. So well balanced without being so heavily focused on each individual element but more as the coaster as a whole. My only suggestion, though I know its more conceptual than anything, would be to either bulk up the supports (which I suggest you dont) for the dive machine, or reduce the amount of cars on the trains. 5 is a little much to be honest. 4 would probably be best both visually and realistically.

I'm loving that suspension bridge too in that final shot. I love how dwarfed the mine train looks in comparison. Really plays with the perspective of the scale of the other coasters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

The bridge is a really neat addition! Even though that's probably the least thrilling of the park coasters, it's the one I'm most excited to ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014 edited

^I don't think it's supposed to be a proper coaster. It's kind of like a hybrid between a regular miniature railway and a coaster, it's main purpose is to transport people across the park more so than to give them a major thrill.

Personally I'd say go with the wooden supports, since the steel supports just don't look right at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I decided to go with wooden supports for the "railway coaster" and reduced the amount of cars for Behemoth to 4.
    Does anyone have an idea for a bridge across the 4D coaster? I don't want to have another suspension bridge, but it should be easy enough to build since this bridge isn't orthogonal in top view.

Furthermore, would someone be interested in making logos for one or more coasters (maybe there will be a fifth one)? Thanks in advance!

I also have some pictures for you, of course:
    Going from Nessie to Roc

Suspension bridge and some wooden supports

Any ideas?

Coming down the mountain

New Behemoth trains (poster)
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Wooden trestle?? ;)

Joking aside, what about something like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

• CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014

NL2 is just silly in how good everything looks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014 edited

^^^Haha, yeah, a trestle is no problem at all. Nah, I'll rather try that other wooden bridge. Thanks!
    ^^Wouldn't that be "a little" overkill? :P
    ^Thanks, I guess?

This time it's a rather small update showing the entrance area which I'm not quite satisfied with yet. I need to add ticket booths and maybe some shops. I don't really like the fence either, some foliage could probably make a huge difference.
    Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

•  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014

PLEEEEEEEEASE make the park sign a 3ds. signs made with supports looks really tacky. 3ds tends to look allot better as well. Other than that everything looks great :D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited

^If I was capable of doing so I would make the sign a 3ds. I guess as long as nobody is willing to create some 3ds for this park the objects will be made of supports.

Anyway, I've built a (still floating) truss bridge, but I have absolutely no idea how to make it look solid. Any suggestions how to connect it to the ground? Also, any more opinions on the entrance area?

Pictures: