Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited

I thought I would make a separate topic for this, because I really need all the information I can get.

In the NoLimits 2 directory, there's a cartextures folder that contains folders for each coaster. I, spending time on trying to revamp Ivory Tower, looked in the corkscrew folder and saw that there were a total of twelve files instead of the usual two I'm used to.

I then started applying some of them and confirmed to myself that the non-"_________ map" files were the "final products" that one could apply to a coaster.

This made me think that the others must be used for drafting up new cartextures, but I have no idea how to use them. What the heck are color, normal, and specular maps (and how do I use them)? I really just need to change a few things - the red stripe (don't know why that's the default instead of white) certainly has to go, because no other part of my coaster has that. The original Ivory Tower cartexture had an ivory color on that stripe. However, I can't just bucket-paint it a new color because the details are baked into the cartexture. I need a template, I suppose, and was hoping there was a way to use the other files as one.

My normal cartexture creation goes like this:

This picture shows toerti's cartexture template slapped underneath the "Details" layer and my personal layers where I added stuff to it.

This picture shows the final cartexture (ignore the orange mess, that was "color-boxed" over). It contains a blend of my stuff (the logo and colors) and the stock NoLimits textures ("Details" layer is what I titled it).

My edits alone on a separate layer.

Separate details layer (NoLimits logo is erased).

The reason this worked is because the "Details" were on a separate layer, so I could edit the colors all I wanted, then slap the dirt and rust details overtop via a separate layer. However, the new cartextures for NoLimits 2 use their own colors and stripes baked in. I don't know how to add my own stripes while keeping this level of grime/detail:

I really don't want my cars to come out looking like plastic after I edit the annoying red stripe out. Any solutions? Do said solutions involve all those "-map" files I don't grasp?
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014

Normal map controls the bump simulation from the shaders, and specular maps control the amount of light reflection on the object.

https://www.google.com/#q=normal+mapping
    https://www.google.com/#q=specular+mapping

If you want to edit the normal and specular maps, you'll have to do some research on how they work and find tools to manipulate them in Photoshop. Alternatively, you can simply use the diffuse map and leave the normal/specular maps as is. (Not sure if NL2 will require to you copy them, or if it'll just reference the built-in default.)
    Yeah, I later Google'd them and found out what they were. It's neat, but I guess that won't help me edit this stripe/logo. I may have to select the stripe, try a color-to-alpha operation, and then see if I can paint "behind the dirt/grime".

I just really wish the details could be on a separate layer of no color so I can edit underneath, like the old textures.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014 edited

I was hoping to make a custom car texture for my Air recreation but I never even got my head around how they worked in NL1 I don't have a clue about these new textures either...

• CommentAuthorC-A_99
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2014

If you're having trouble getting rid of the NL logo, the clone stamp tool may help. Clone stamp any background patterns over it, and copy or build the stripe if needed to cover any remaining portion. For the cartexture posted, the clone stamp tool should work just fine.

Regardless, it'd be helpful if the NL2 artists released the UV templates they use, which don't contain any additional information on the train that the cartexture + experimentation couldn't provide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014

We will be providing templates and logo- free maps for all of the updated train styles as soon as possible. They didn't quite get done in time for release. Basically we just need to export them sans the extra graphics layers, but for some textures more work is involved. It won't take long though.
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99

Slightly off topic, but I found it very odd that the trains carried over from NL1 are lit by vertex from the main light source. (They look fine from other light sources.) Just one of those oddball things I noticed, but I get the idea that these trains will eventually be updated once other issues are resolved. It was a bit odd just how similar they looked to what they did in NL1 when you consider just the new lighting engine alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

That's correct. Fifteen or so of the thirty seven coaster styles have yet to be updated to the new car texture format with separate diffuse, color, specular and normal maps. The process is excruciatingly time consuming, as you can imagine, particularly given how little time we have to work on them, but eventually all styles will all be updated.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

I've noticed that some coasters in NL2 use the same texture file/files as they did in NL1. (Eg, LIM launched) So a custom NL1 car texture file can be loaded up in 2 and it will work fine. :)
    • CommentAuthorReal

Phyter I demand you call off work till you get these done... lol jk. Your texture work is just brilliant. It's on parks with the major games...
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99

I suppose if we inject our own normal and specular maps, it would correct the vertex lighting issue? It's just strange that every other light acts normally on it. Vertex lighting should only ever be used for LOD purposes in modern 3D engines. In any case, it's always possible to just throw the old cartextures through a generator, although that won't be easy for the color mapping feature.

As for what Womp mentioned, I do have to wonder if there's a better way for updating trains that won't involve breaking the UV's of the old ones in order to support old cartextures. Perhaps after everything in NL2 is brought up to speed to the same detail level as the new trains, we can finally leave them as is? Or will the trains keep going up and up in detail? =p
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

Posted By: Womp83I've noticed that some coasters in NL2 use the same texture file/files as they did in NL1. (Eg, LIM launched) So a custom NL1 car texture file can be loaded up in 2 and it will work fine. :)

They'll work fine until we update the models and break your textures. >:)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014

Posted By: Phyter
    They'll work fine until we update the models and break your textures. >:)
    Lol..

*shakes fist at Phyter* :P

Looking forward to the blank templates when they come out.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014 edited

AJ, are you still having trouble doing custom car textures, or did you get it sorted out?

Cause i was playing around with the 4 seat woodie textures recently, and got one of my custom skins to work. After a few minor alterations, that is. And was just wondering if i needed to post how i did it. Did some tests on the corkscrew textures too. Changed the stripe colour, but still ended up with a greyish-brown car, lol. Haven't tested any other 'new' ones yet, just the 4 seat woodie, and the corkscrew.

Edit: I've got the corkscrew texture worked out now. No more greyish-brown car. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2014

Guys, if it's just understanding the new system that you're having trouble with, here is how to deal with that.

Each "cartexture" is in fact a set of four textures; cartexture, cartexture_colormap, cartexture_specularmap, and cartexture_normalmap.

The cartexture is what we would normally refer to as a diffuse map.

The colormap is our own invention and is an 8bit per pixel mask that allows the diffuse map to show through the car/seat/chassis etc. colors selected in the editor. A black colormap would show only the cartexture. A white colormap would show only the color.

The specuarmap works with the normalmap for per pixel shading and masks both specular lighting and reflectivity. A white specularmap will be as shiney as possible. A black specular map will be dull/matte finish.

The normalmap is a special bumpmap and is created either from high resolution geometry on the model, or by hand by drawing a height map then converting it to a normalmap using special software. For the most part you do not have to mess with the normal map.

Hope that helps for now. We're getting busy again with updates/jobs and so don't know how long it's going to take to get the templates out. We'll keep you updated.
    • CommentAuthorjbatts220
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014 edited

Where should custom texture files be saved? I tried saving to cartextures --> twistedsitdown, but it says I don't have permission to save there, or something like that. So for now, it's saved in the com.nolimitscoaster.nl2 folder in my documents, which was fine for applying the texture to the train, but is this the right place to save it so others can see it when they download my coaster?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2014

Save your custom textures in the folder that the park is in. That way all of the files are in the same place when you package them together.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorjbatts220

Thanks! I had tried saving it there before, but got some error (that I don't recall what it said) but now that I think about it, I added the file while the park was still open, so that was likely the problem. It's saved correctly now, and it's working just fine, so I might do a bit of fine tuning after testing/riding/exploring/eating lunch, but River Monster will be available to download soon! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

Yeah definitely do not attempt to overwrite the existing game assets! :D In fact we would recommend staying out of Program Files -> NoLimits 2 entirely, even if you have set admin access to overwrite files there. There is no way to get those files back other than downloading all 700+ MB of the game. So store them somewhere else. The park's base directory is normally where you will store most files. Personally, however, I found it convenient to have folders named Elements, Scene Objects, Scripts, and Materials in another location. I keep assets that I can reuse across multiple parks in those folders and I pull from those folders directly when I need them (in other words I don't copy them to my park's folder). When you do this, NL2 will yell at you saying "... this path lies outside the base path...". All it is doing is warning you that if you modify the file's location then the file reference will break. But the Park Packager accounts for absolute paths as well and so when you package the park those assets will get copied correctly to the .nl2pack file.
    • CommentAuthorjbatts220

I definitely wasn't going to overwrite any files. I was just going to add a file to the folder. But that's neither here nor there. And good to know about the absolute paths thing being okay. :)
    How do I get rid of the greyish-brown texture in NL2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

Just did this as a test and placeholder train, actually it was my first, and it was remarkably easy! I used Gimp to fill the wood in with grey and then used texture brushes to add wear and (if you can see) impact crunches on the panels!
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Except you spelt werewolf wrong.
    Ouch
    ^^&^ Or he mean the german word for werewolf xD
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Seeing as Zergei lives in the USA, I somehow doubt it. And since there's a one letter difference between Werewolf and Werwolf it probably wouldn't be worth it :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016 edited

Well that's where you're wrong, kiddos! xD Muffin knows what's good, It's all in the story...