Not signed in (Sign In)

Site Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

is the ship board-able) (so we can get across and explore)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016

^ As of right now, the only way to board the ship is by using fly mode. I may add some sort of gangway in the future though. As far as exploring goes, the ship is very basic. Not too much to explore onboard, but it is cool to watch the coaster from the boat as it sails around the islands.
    by "exploring" i meant the other side of the park, but oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017 edited

^ The other island in the park is really meant to just be the back half of the ride area. However, if you want to explore it, you can always swim over!

Now for a bit of an update. Since I'm finally back with my good computer, I've decided to add more irons to the fire and start two more projects. (Don't worry, everything is getting worked on concurrently and will be finished eventually). I simply have too many ideas to wait for one project to be finished before starting another.

That being said, a quick overview of what is in progress:

Project Stingray-----------------------------55% complete
    Project Intamin Prefab Hyper------------60% complete
    Project B&M Park----------------------------65% complete
    Project Intamin Vertical Launch---------1% complete
    Project B&M Strata-------------------------3% complete

The Prefab Hyper progressed a bit and looks fantastic in the new lighting. Still some support tweaks and lots of scenery to be done yet, but now that I have custom trains, courtesy of Jake Callan, things should be picking up.

Born from a random idea, this Intamin launcher features a vertical launch up a top hat and a beyond vertical drop. Although it is just the top hat at the moment, a layout is being worked on in the mean time.

Finally, the newest project. Having seen a couple poorly executed B&M strata coasters circulating YouTube lately, I decided to do a proof of concept to test the feasibility of such a concept. Standing at 415 feet, this coaster would definitely be a considerable feat to accomplish, but with sound B&M engineering, I believe it would be possible. After setting up the lift and supports, I kinda fell in love with the idea of fleshing the coaster out into a full design. Given that the coaster reaches ~108 mph, I'm estimating that it will be in the ballpark of 7,200 feet long, so much work is still to come. However, I've already started adding some scenery items to the coaster. Stay tuned.

Yes, the colors are indeed taken from the new track sitting at Clermont Steel.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017

My 1,600+ foot tall Peta B&M reaches 245 MPH with a 100 MPH chainlift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

^Aren't the lifts on your "rides" limited to 0.5mph?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Not on my Peta B&M The chainlift is always 100 MPH on that ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

I love your work. It just feels way too real to not be real.
    • CommentAuthorI305

jpaufsc, how do your track connectors have angles other than 0 or 90 degrees. I can't seem to find any other ones in the game. Am I just going crazy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^^ Thanks! I try to crate rides as realistically as possible.

^ Those are actually connectors that I made up myself. Haha they look as good as the default don't they? If there is demand for them I'll consider making them available for use.
    • CommentAuthorI305

^ They are beautiful! And did you use a custom box beam for the lift spine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ I used the light pattern creator for the box with an added texture. The Flanges between them are another custom scenery object.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017

Update time!

The layout for the B&M Strata coaster, tentatively named "CDXX", is complete. The final height of the coaster is 420 feet, the top speed is 108 mph, and the length is a whopping 9,142 feet. If it were to be built, this coaster would be the tallest coaster with a lift hill, the fastest non launch coaster, and the longest coaster in the world.

Now time to start working on some scenery.

I also made up a raw POV. You can view it by clicking the first picture.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

That looks awesome! Any idea of how much it would cost to build it irl?
    • CommentAuthorI305
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017 edited

How did you achieve transport wheels during a lift segment? The coaster is looking absolutely amazing!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Two tracks, one invisible. If you set a lift segment to be invisible, the chain will still be visible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Thanks for the compliments guys!

@Paradox: I estimate that it would cost anywhere between $45 million to $50 million.

@I305: I set the lift of the coaster as invisible and I used dummy tracks for the lift track and transport wheels.
    Oh my, that looks awesome. As I said in the screenshot thread, that first drop looks absolutely insane. I really wish some park would dismiss the economic infeasibility of something like this, and just go for it. Sadly, that won't ever happen.
    This ride looks epic, I'm excited to see how you finish the project. My only nitpick would be the entrance to the dive at 1:48 in the POV, it wiggles a little bit to the left before turning right. Also I agree wholeheartedly with this^
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure how I missed it, but it's fixed now.

Who knows, maybe someday down the road, when B&M is ready to go over 400 ft, something like this might exist. It would definitely be a huge investment, but it would definitely draw a huge number of visitors as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

I loved this but it does seem to get a little long. I found myself after the turnaround going "Okay, where is the brake run?" The color scheme is clutch though and it is gorgeous to look at. Your work is amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017 edited

Currently working on the layout for an Intamin vertical launch concept. I have been lacking some good inspiration for this layout and I'm looking to see what others think of it. Track work is definitely still work in progress.

Click the photo for a pov.

It'd be nice to see another tall element. I'd personally place a tall diveloop or something similar following the snaking ground turns. Your ride has lots of speed which is good, but doesn't really have any big "moments." I don't really know how else to word it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017 edited

^ I am planning on launching into a second top hat after the MCBR. I do agree that there is a lack of tall elements. I'm going to try to add some bigger elements after the second top hat for sure. It'll be tricky though since I don't have a ton of space to work with.
    How do the lats show in slo-mo during that heartline roll? Also, whats with the walls? Limiting yourself? FVD or Handbuilding?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017

^The lats are kinda strong at the exit of the roll. The front of the train peaks at 1.7 and the back at 1.5. Not sure if that's acceptable or not. The walls are around a specific plot of land I'm designing in for a project of mine. I also hand build all my tracks.
    Humm, my personal code for blitzish rides is to keep lats near 0, transitions can spike near to 1 at the harshest for a small period. That sounds like a removed maverick roll, lol. I'd consider that element in a slower section, or to convert it to a turn-roll-turn element with matching banking. On a dead project of mine, I toyed with that idea. Lats didn't get too bad if you keep the length of the element the way you have it. This is what I'm talking about:

Lats only rise to .5 for a quick moment, the whole transition doesn't last longer than 1.25~ seconds. I think that would look smexy where you have your roll.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

^ I had actually tried reversing the roll, but it just puts the lat spike at the beginning instead of the end of the roll. I also think that the roll flows better when rolling counterclockwise in this situation. The ideal fix for the G spike would be to stretch the roll out, but given my template, I don't have the space in that corner. I guess it will just stay as it is for now.

I did manage to come up with a decent layout that I'm mostly happy with. The cool thing with the way the blocking is set up is that a train can be at the top of each top hat simultaneously. The ride runs 4 trains and dispatches about every 35 seconds meaning that the theoretical capacity is somewhere around 1,648 pph, which is quite good for an Intamin with 4 car trains.

That's a sweet layout overall, now that its all together. Reasonable length. Last 1/3 of ride looks like a nice rampage of speed. I like the double dip/double down before the steep pitched FBR. I like what you're doing with the lower parts of the ride being underneath the "floor."

I still think you can run the reversing roll if you tweak the placement of the whole element and turn leading into the element. The rest of the ride looks like it rides/shaped really nicely. I'd hate for it to have that maverick moment where one bit of the ride is screwing up the remainder of it. Maybe I'm being too anal about the lat spike, idk if others want to chime in on that.
    I'll put in my two cents into the roll discussion.

A TRUE heartline roll, when the heartline stays perfectly straight while the track rotates around it, will have lats greater than 1G due to the fact that the seats are not sitting exactly on the heartline. The faster the train, the stronger the lats due to the equation mv^2/r. This is what your element appears to do, and while it may be uncomfortable it is still passable. If you don't want to change your vertices, I would suggest that compare a pov of your heartline to the snappiness of Maverick's S-turns; if the rate of rotation of your ride is similar to the rate of rotation in Maverick's (or i305's, for that matter), then you have nothing to worry about.

What I believe Xazzaphonic is suggesting is to make the heartline roll more like a zero-g roll (like he did in his pictures), so that gravity is less of a factor for lats when your train is at 90 degrees. While this could make the inversion more comfortable, I think it would completely change both the pacing and character in that section. However, in the end, this is your creation; if you are satisfied with it, then it is perfect just the way it is.
    I agree with what kryptos001 said. It seems rarely do you see Intamin 0G rolls anyways, at least in relation to straighter heartline style rolls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think that the roll rate is comparable to other Intamins out there. The spike in lats is only for a fraction of a second too. Nothing sustained. I was designing the coaster with the new soft strap restraints in mind as well, meaning that the lats would be relatively comfortable compared to the old restraints. I also didn't want to go for a zero G type roll since I already have the half horseshoe roll thing earlier in the layout. Speaking of which, the preliminary scenery and supports are finished, as well as some placeholder buildings.

• CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

The station is underground?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Technically yes. The concrete area is about 7 feet below grade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTyrush

This looks really good! Can't wait to see more
    Got an updated POV or you gunna make us wait? Looking good so far. Maybe toss some cross beams on the tophat supports? Seems similar height to iSpeed. That has one layer of cross beaming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2017

^Don't worry! I've got one! I don't know how I missed the cross beams on the top hat supports, but they are there now.

I added some more scenery as well, including a million custom footers that had to be individually placed.

Click for POV.

•  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2017

Very nice! The only thing I'm not really excited about is the first element after the first drop. I feel it could have been a little more spectacular (maybe just more overbanked) and the transition after it is a tiny little bit awkward to me. But you shouldn't mind, it's really nitpicking and the overall layout is great!
    Nice! Layout was real fun. I wonder if you can dial up the 2nd launch without hurting the Gs much. I think it'd be more exciting if it carried more speed over the tophat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

^I was able to turn the launch up a few miles per hour. I do think you are right, it rides a bit better now. The area has gotten a little more developed, but the large amount of scenery work has kind of stalled on the project.
    This is what it looks like in its current state. The eagle eyed among you may be able to tell what this project is supposed to be (or at least where it is supposed to be).

A little bit of an update on things. I have started yet another project. This time, a hyper B&M flyer. I wanted to go for a large flyer like Flying Dinosaur. I don't have anything but the lift done yet, but a layout is in the works.
    For those who are keeping track, I now have six projects in progress.

•  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

SFDK. That would be an awesome addition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Please tell me you'll use Seth/TurboCoaster/Korble's boomerang lol
    That looks very promising so far!
    That intamin is gorgeous, really hoping to see it finished in the future! are you going to leave it on a concrete base land or will there be some theming placed around the ride?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Thanks for the nice comments!

@lamewad: I can't tell if you're joking or not, but nay, not SFDK.

@Zergei: I'm currently using the boomerang JAKool released.

@COASTERGUY246: It'll definitely get finished. It may take a while, but with the end of the spring semester coming up, I'll have plenty of time to work on it. As for the concrete, I'm not entirely sure yet. I like the way it's situated sunken into the ground a bid, but there might be a bit to much concrete. I might end up breaking it up some and adding in some foliage in there along with some theme elements once I figure out a fitting name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

I wanna say this is for Carowinds based on the boomerang colors. I love the layout!
    Definitely an ambitious Carowinds concept. Now that I see where you've placed this, that's actually a huge area for future expansion...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

:) I was joking, there is no room for anything like that at SFDK
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Thanks again for the nice comments. The Intamin is indeed "located" at Carowinds as an idea for future expansion.

@CoasterMac305: It certainly is a big undertaking which is why the project will take some time to get right.

In the mean time, I have started yet another project. Like I mentioned above, this time it's a large B&M flyer inspired by Flying Dinosaur. This beast reaches a height of 230ft and features a large pretzel loop that dives underground, an inline twist, a corkscrew, a raven turn into a 540° lie to fly roll over the station, and another inline twist. I decided to place the coaster in a sort of tropical or desert setting with the palm trees.

However, I did manage to completely forget about E-stop testing while designing the second half of the layout so the train takes the second half really sketch in the case of an E-stop, but does make the course. Since everything is pretty much buttoned up with the track and supports, I'm just going to leave it be.