Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014 edited

If you are stuck with dark looking textures on your freshly exported models, then chances are that the 3D modeling software that you're using is setting the Ambient color to black, or a dark value very close to black. To fix to this you need to Override the Ambient lighting color using a custom NL2MAT material.

Create the override material...
    1) Open the NL2MAT Editor and create a new material in your project folder.
    2) Go to the Basics tab and you will see overrides for Diffuse, Ambient and Specular.
    3) Usually the dark texture issue is related to Ambient color so click the override checkbox next to the Ambient color and change it to RGB = 128,128,128.
    4) In the Textures tab click on Texture Unit 1 and add your 2D texture, if there was one. Dark shadows can also afflict materials with no textures, in which case only the Ambient override will be necessary.
    5) Save.

Assign it to the material in your model file...
    1) Open the NL2SCO Editor and create a new file in the same folder.
    2) Add your 3DS/LWO file in the General tab.
    3) Go to the Material tab.
    4) Click the top [...] and select the named material you want to affect.
    5) Click the bottom [...] and assign the .nltmat file to the material.
    6) Save and Import.

This may be a fair amount of work for particularly large files with many materials, but for smaller files the workload is minimal. And you gain many advantages by having your files in the .nl2sco format anyway. So this is overall a good approach to managing your custom park assets.

To avoid the issue in the first place, locate the Ambient color settings in the 3D modeling software that you're using and be sure that any materials that you export along with the model have a median gray Ambient color.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrinktvis
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014

Thanks! I will try it tomorrow, hope it works for me :)
    • CommentAuthorole

In v.2.0.1.0 (to install, click on Info -> Check for Updates), there is a new option added to the NL2SCO editor that will fix all materials automatically with the dark ambient problem found in 3ds files exported with Sketchup.
    Ole you are my person of the day. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorBlackMamba

NL2 now is close to perfection. If it would load all textures on 3ds (which isn't that much of a problem because I can fix it in the NL2MAT editor) it would be perfect.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides

WOW...!!! Thank you sooo much for your hard work on NL2! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

Just out of curiosity, how many polys is considered too many for your average 3D tree? Exporting from Vue seems to give me low framerates because Vue's trees are between 10,000 and 300,000 polys.

I don't know the exact numbers but 10.000 and 300.000 is just massive.

Did a quick test with c4d made a object of over 13 biljoen polys and that takes up 1,5gigs of ram, with a screen performance of 0fps. 13 biljoen is much much much much more then 300.000 but still you don't even want to get close to 1,5gigs of ram usage.

My suggestion is to make a low poly model of a tree about a 1000 poly's and then use a normal map to add the detail. A simple branch can be modeled with about a 12 sided cylinder shaped in the right fashion. Especially since trees branches are small and seen from relative far the detail does not have to be there. Bigger thinks like the main branch(if that is the right translation, the part that goes in the ground) should be something like a 20 sided cylinder. This all means that you have to make use of optical illusion, from far it should look good but up-close make it ugly, then you have optimized it.

Last Veu is a program to render landscape scenes meaning it doesn't really matter how much polys cause quality is most of the time more important then render time.

Hope this informed you enough, otherwise you could always do a google on the subject of model optimization.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhyter

For comparison, NL2's built in 3D trees average 1000 - 2000 polygons each and have A, B and C levels of detail (LODs) with the C LOD averaging around 200 polygons each. The trees we're using are considered good but a little primitive by today's standards. I think you could definitely get away with bumping up the detail a notch. But I wouldn't recommend going over 3000 - 4,000 polys for the A LOD and maintaining sufficiently low numbers for the B and C LODs. I would also add a D level that Z-Clips the C LOD to give you at least a small amount additional overhead for the high count on the A LOD trees for older video cards.
    • CommentAuthorC-A_99

I think NL2 trees are fine for poly detail; the best way to improve them right now would be to add normal and specular mapping.

Posted By: BlackMambaNL2 now is close to perfection. If it would load all textures on 3ds (which isn't that much of a problem because I can fix it in the NL2MAT editor) it would be perfect.

I had trouble with this once, where none of the textures would load even though the paths were all set correctly. However, that problem disappeared, and it was an all or nothing issue. My suggestion would be to look at the texture paths in the 3D modeler you're using to make sure they all line up with where the textures actually are.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides

Thank ou so much! The Towers far away are without the correction and the shining tower at the front -> saved as .nlcso (i also now understand, how the Nl2 CSO Editor works! Great!)
    • CommentAuthortaz1287
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2014

Am I the only one that is still having issues with this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhyter
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014

The issue was resolved in the last update. Assign your .3DS file to a .nl2sco file using the NL2SCO editor. Go to the Advanced tab and check the "Fix Ambient Materials" option. Save and import the NL2SCO file into your scene.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014

Phyter, I have no issues with dark faces coming from Sketchup, but one thing I absolutely cannot figure out is how to remove the shadows from this "window".

I want that texture of the city to have no shadows on it, and lit up as if it were a window to the outside, which it isn't. I've tried to use the NL2SCO editor and the NL2MAT editor but I just can't figure it out.