Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This will be the tread that I will post the progress on all my projects in.

First one: Norway Demon , a Norway inspired terrain coaster
    It's a launched Maurer Söhne X-Car coaster
    1019 meters long, reaches a height of 36m and has a top speed of 103 km/h

Added my first custom lights and made them use a script to turn off/on at day/night:

Things that still need to be done:
    - A lot of terra forming
    - Some support modifications
    - Custom station and tunnels (maybe more custom scenery?)

Feedback is always welcome offcourse ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014

As a Norwegian I can confirm that the landscape looks quite Norwegian-ish... :)

I like the bridge with the lights and I see some interesting looking elements in there. Looking forward to see more

•  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014

Blown away ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

As an X-Car fan I approve of this. :) I really like the lights and the wooden bridge. The entrance to the tunnel of the first sim pic looks a bit low, though.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

Those lights look like they have a lot of polys...would it be possible to reduce that a bit?
    sure i can reduce the poly count ;) i made them in Solidworks so all I have to do is export them on a lower quality :)
    also i'm working on making the fog machines in the tunnels track-triggered so they won't be active al the time, i think this might also save some GPU power.

Btw, i changed the coulors, just to see what this would look like, what do you guys think? go with the light/dark brown or with the red track and grey supports?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014

I really liked the red track. What about a combination of the red track and brown colours?
    How about this:
    also updated the traintexture :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

Out of curiosity, how long is the length of this ride ?

Loving the look of this coaster anyway :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

That is really cool, the new logo looks very nice, too.

But what about the slanted support on top of the hill? It seems a bit weird, but it could be just the angle. Also the footer "right" next to it is floating. ;)
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

Norway clearly doesn't conform to the laws of gravity the rest of the world abides to. His footers are cultural, lol
    Yeah, I've still got quite some terraforming and support work to do :)
    Been working on some of the supports

And I've begun to work on the tunnels

also I'm working on the script to make the smoke in the tunnels track section activated, since having the smoke in both tunnels on continuously costs a lot of performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014 edited

The tunnel, the attached lights and the fog/smoke look awesome. However, I'm concerned about the entrance of the tunnel, it doesn't seem to be safe. Maybe you can use the tunnel of a coaster type with wider trains and make that track invisible?
    I've made the entrances so they line up with the original tunnels, but when I test the clearance it seems to hit the original tunnel entrances as well

Update:

I've finally finished both the support work and the terraforming today :)
    Also I finished the tunnels (made the entrances wider using a invisible tunnel from an invisible coaster, thanks for the tip ;) ) and added a switch to the storage area.

Still to do:

- Create autoplant fir trees
    - Make 3ds models for queue, station, pathways, fences and some rocks

Any other idea's? :P

EDIT:

the *3ds of the station is now done:

•  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014

Gotta love the turn "pressed" on the hill. Nice to see you've managed to make your tunnels wider.
    Great station buidling, it fits the Scandinavian quite well in my opinion. Not sure about the storage track, though - are the trains launched to get them back on the circuit?
    Iron Dragon at Cedar Point has that style storage track but taller so I think it should be fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014 edited

How does Iron Dragon's trains get back up the hill. it launches them?

Edit: It uses a winch to both lower and raise the train into/from the storage shed.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014

Cheetah Hunt does something similar but uses friction wheels.
    Good question :p
    It has been quite some trail and error to get it to work properly, but I have made the small uphill piece an invisible transport device (to simulate a winch) that's just enough to get it back over the the switch (5km/h) and back on the track :)
    I've made some nice progress this weekend, added a waterfall and trees.

I have to thank nannerdw for the great help with the waterfall and Pyther for the script tutorial on the sound.

video of it Here
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014

Considering they appear to be relatively simple to create, these waterfalls look bloody fantastic!
    Update:

Today I've added a boat house,and a shed.

Also, I added some lights and beams in the station

Another update:

added a light to the train and a glacier to the landscape:

Only wondering, should I let the 2nd train start in the storage or on the track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014

^I'd say it's depending on whether you want the coaster to be operated on a crowded day and/or whether the scene meant to be set at sunrise or sunset. ;)

Awesome looking coaster and scenery!
    Great news, Today I have added the queue and some lights so it is just about finished now.
    It will be released the 20th of April.
    Also with my GT555M graphics card of my notebook I'm having quite some lag issues with this, even though I used LOD's and clipping. So I'm looking for someone to test this on an average desktop graphics card (like a 600 series nvidia or 6000 series AMD)

• CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014

I really like this, I see the terraforming and scenery as well as the track all interacting very well together. Also, I love the use of a waterfall for this concept.
    Honestly, I can't wait to see the final product, and also look forward to following this thread like a creep from now on - that's what I do haha

My primary point to be made here is that I am impressed with the track/terrain interaction. You have achieved a sense of adventure I don't see often.
    (Although the topics I see being created everyday for nl2 get better and better all the time)
    Btw I'm still searching for anyone to test this for lag, any volunteers? :P

I volunteer as tribute
    •  
      CommentAuthorllamaboy
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014

My computer lags a lot... I'll do it!
    ok, i will mail the file to you guys
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Ill test for lag.
    ^no, because you'll turn it into a jet coaster
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I tested it and got mostly 6 to 8 FRPS.
    Finally it's done :)
    Had some delay today because my AVI files were no good, somehow the indexes got damaged. So had to render the entire onride POV again, but anyway, here it is =D
    Norway Demon Movie

And since it's easter I've hidden 3 easter eggs in it, good luck finding them ;)

Download the track here:
    Download page

Please rate it and/or let me know in this thread what you guys think. Have fun
    A little teaser of my next project. It is going to be a recreation, for now, I will let you try and guess it :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014

Ooooh, Intamin Woodie ?
    Yes :)
    El Toro?
    Nope :P

A little hint, the track length is 1,070 m.

Balder Recreation?

Jep :)

Modeling the wheels now, thought they too might be handy :P
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

...That model is amazing. It looks just like the real thing, fantastic. Cannot wait to see this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Ooh I always loved Balder more than El Toro because of the layout. El Toro has a very boring layout compared to this. I can't wait to see more.
    And the train model is done, just one more pic, solidworks makes it looks quite nice indeed :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014

dat be beautiful.
    I've gotten the trains to work, even made the couplings work.
    Right now got them with basic color and reflection in the simulator.

Now all that needs doing on the trains is LOD (important because they are quite high poly xD) and texturing
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

The train looks longer than it should be in the last pic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

On par with official models. Can it be integrated to a futur update? =)
    Well these cars are purely based on pictures, no actual measurements.
    So to the eye they look quite accurate maybe, but I'm guessing they're not at all :P
    Also, I've noticed the Intamin track is slightly different in cross section from the standard wooden coaster style in NL2 I think, so I had to adjust the wheels to fit the standard NL2 track.

I checked the length of the trains, but now you've said this I'm having my doubts too. So should I make the red body part of the cars a little higher and wider or leave it as it is?