Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Yeah to be honest, I didn't do an overlay before, so I was afraid the loop shaping was off.
    (and since the loop is at the beginning that would mean reworking the entire track in FVD++)
    But I myself was quite surprised to see that not only the loop but also the hill behind it and the heart-line roll through it line up quite good.
    So taking pictures and a onride POV video as reference seems to work quite well :)
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014

^ Yeah, POV videos tend to be extremely helpful (for me anyway) for either recreating stuff or getting correct shaping.. More so then pictures sometimes, even. Especially for smaller details.
    I'm finally done with the supports of balder, just need to add some stairs at some places and some of the ledger beams.
    Now I can add the sound screens and tunnels this week. (the tunnels are awesome I think)

I'm btw so glad you can copy large sections of supports now, it took me the entire week to do the 3 layered turn on the left side.
    But once that was done I simply copied it to the 2 layered turn on the right side and adjusted it. (took NL2 about 30 seconds of being frozen because of the massive amount I copied at once)
    Oh and thank god for beam nodes, they save masses of time too. =D

Looks fantastic. Did you use a custom rail texture?
    yeah, but I'm not that happy about it, I'm going to make an object for the actual metal track separate from the wood, so I can make it shiny without making the wood shiny.
    • CommentAuthorForceWorks
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014

Holy Schnikies! This looks AWESOME
    Thanks =)
    But I think as far as the rails is concerned this already looks a lot better:
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014 edited

Put a NSFW warning the next time you post such a sexy pic, please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKevan
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014

That's indeed some sexy looking rails
    I would tweak with the reflection settings a little more because it has more of a glass property to it than a roughed up metal. Tone down the reflections so the specular isn't as noticeable or as white and so overall, the track only reflects where the sun hits it rather than giving it a glass/icy reflection throughout.

Other than, wow. This is really coming along. Balder is looking awesome with some really well done shaping. I can't wait to see more. Kanonen is also brilliant.
    Thanks.
    Already done that yesterday, look in the uber idea thread ;)
    But I didn't want to 'spam' this thread with tiny updates every time,
    I will update once I finish all the tunnels and emergancy stairs of balder.
    • CommentAuthormarcolli
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014

Hi CF46, firstly wanted to say this really looks awesome and I can only admire the amount of detail and work you've put into this project!

I saw that you made some of your 3D stuff on SolidWorks - I'm quite confident on solidworks but haven't got any other 3D modelling experience so I've been trying to find a way to export from SWin 3ds. I was wondering what software you use? I only have the student version of SW so I'm not sure if that's a problem...

Keep up the great work! :)
    • CommentAuthorMikey714
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014

hi CF46 this looks awesome when will there be a link for this and when can It be downloaded please I really wanna ride these rides
    I have a SW student licence as well ;)

First from SW I save my file as a *.wrl file.

This file is importable to Blender (Blender CAN export to 3ds, and has way more advanced UV mapping then SW)

However there are some things to keep in mind:

- First of all it is important that you optimze the amount of polygons before saving as *.wrl. You can do this by changing the slider in 'Tools - Options - Document properties - Image quality"
    I usually have it so you get 10-11 edges for a circle.

- Second, Blender somehow can't export normals properly to *.3ds, so to counter this problem. You either have to have a *.3ds model that only has square corners, or you can have a *.3ds whith only rounded edges.
    For instance on the logs and the balder trains I used fillet on every edge (some so small, they are barely visible) but this way you can use the "force smooth shading" option in NL2 and it will keep the flat surfaces flat, because they are surrounded by rounded edges.
    If you get a model with some edges not rounded and you use the smooth shading option, the models flat faces will look horible.

Then, Blender:
    Blender is a completely free program, but can be quite a pain to learn. (Google is your best friend, a lot of other people usually have the same problem or question)
    But it is (as far as I know) one of the best free modeling programs out there, especially the cycles render engine is just amazing. (I've been learning blender for a year or so now, and am still learning new things every week)
    3d modeling is just one of the things you can do with blender, also animation, rendering and much more.
    If you're completely new to it, I higly recommend following some tutorials:
    http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/
    there are also plenty of them on youtube.

First, you import your model into blender, then it looks like this:

all of the material properties of SW will be lost (sometimes it will keep it's basic color though, like grey for metal)
    Then I UV map it:

and optimze the mesh where I can, after that it will look like this:

Now the rest of the material editing like bumpmapping and shinyness and stuff is done with the (awesome) NL2MAT editor ;)

@Mikey714 : Sorry, but you will just have to be a little more patient, at least I want to do Lisebergbanen and Helix, the pathways, and scenery like the hill and trees. So then I can release a 'light' / alpha version for normal PC's to run.
    After that I will work on all the scenery and all the flat rides and stuff, which will make this an insanely heavy park.
    But thank god, in September DDR4 will come out, along with the Hashwell-E platform, from this I am going to build an epic PC with a Titan Black in it so I can use it for loads of Blender Cycles rendering as well and ofcourse the further development of this park.
    Since my notebook with a GT555M is starting to have struggles, with 4 coasters in at the moment xD
    Also that's the reason why I'm not working full time on the project as I would have liked to in the summer holidays now, because I'm working full-time to get enough money for the PC build in sept. ;)
    • CommentAuthormarcolli

Thanks for the tips and all the helpful screenshots :) I'm struggling to find the export options window in my solidworks, where is it?
    Click the options button in the 'save as' window when you select *.wrl as.file type
    • CommentAuthormarcolli

right, I don't have an options button, or the ability to save it as .wrl. The only available types are .sldprt, .sldlfp, .prtdot, .eprt :(
    • CommentAuthormarcolli
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2014 edited

Hi CF46, I'm not sure if you're using a different student version to me, but anyway... I've got myself a professional version of SW2013 which does allow me to save as .wrl :) So tomorrow hopefully I will download blender and have an attempt at this! Thanks for your help!
    good news, today I"ve finally finished the supports, and support structures of balder.
    (this time, warning pics are NSFW)

also I made some epic detail sensors, and I'm working on the magnetic brakes for balder now.

Ofcourse the sensors wil have at least 2 LOD levels and clipping (just like about everything else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBH
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014

Dear god that's just not fair.

The amount of detail you're putting into this is amazing and, of course, I can't wait to see the final product. :)
    Guess what I started work on ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014

Hooray! It's not dead! and the zero car looks pretty good so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014

Helix? :D

The whole project looks fantastic.

For the 3ds smoothing problem in blender: Use the edge split modifier together with the "force 3ds smoothing" option in nl2 maybe.

Do you think it will be possible to share the sensor models maybe?
    This project is incredible! I love the detail you're putting in and everything looks fantastic so far, I can't wait to explore it myself when it's done. :^)
    After reading a bit of how the shading (smooth/flat) actually works in blender I now finally understand why I can't get my models to have the shading like solidworks in blender.
    And it also explains why you need the smooth shading option in NL2 for the blender exported 3ds files.
    Blender doesn't actually control the normals but it just takes the average of them, to create the illusion of curves.
    Solidworks does export the normals properly in the wrl format, since cinema 4D can read them just fine and you can get good looking models.
    So I might switch program for the texturing and 3ds exporting, since right now I need to use round surfaces or fillets everywhere on my geometry even if it just has one round edge, everything will get smooth shaded.
    And since almost every product has both smooth and sharp edges, this is really making for an unnecessary high polygon count.

Oh and btw I'm fine with uploading the 3ds model of the sensor. But I can upload it to grabcad, skydrive public folder or does anyone know any website for sharing 3ds models? (preferably where people can download without an account)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoworyta
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014

@Coasterfreak46 The only real way to achieve that, would be an upload to "megaupload" or "Mediafire", some kind of file hosting website, then sending the link in the forums or anywhere it would apply to be clicked on. Great stuff by the way, very interesting and great work with .3ds modeling, fantastic detail!
    I think I will just put it in my public skydrive folder then :P
    Meanwhile, I started a little side project. Maybe I'll release it later today.
    Who can remember this track? =D
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014 edited

Its definately a RCT track? Is it the minetrain coaster from Dynamite Dunes?
    Jep, loved this one when I was a kid :P

Thought it might be cool to ride it in NL2 with a lot more realism.
    I will only use the default track as reference, and make my own version of it, because with realistic friction on the default track it doesn't even get to the lifthill :P
    But I thought this would be a fun one day project to just do something different :)
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014

Very nice, I wouldn't have guessed. There were good, c
    razy designs in the older RCT games. I'd like to see that triple dueling coaster from the three monkeys park (or something like that) in NL2!
    Still going at it:

Hope to finish it today :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014

Ah, memories ...
    Let's just hope the brakes don't fail and the train rushing into the station explodes because it is too fast by just 1 mph ...
    ah i remeber playing with the rct to nl importer with this track and a few others.... was fun to see what an rct track looks like when modeled better... all be it the horrendous transitions were all kept untill they were smoothed out
    And it's done :P

Download it now from here
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014

I'm disappointed you haven't recreated the queue line paths for this. :P
    Work in progress:

This was probably the hardest part of the train to get in Solidworks, and it still needs quite some adjusting. But after the nose is done the rest will be a bit more straight forward :)
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2015

That looks pretty spot on. Great job!
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2015

^^ Helix? looks good so far
    Yes these will be the trains for Helix :P
    made some good progress today:
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015

^Dang that's awesome. Keep up the good work
    You are awesome!! Love Helix. See my pic :)
    Is it going to be build with all the lights. Also the lights in the trein flor?
    I hope I did spell it right.
    It looks stunning! :) I sure will follow this, keep up the very good work
    Thanks,

Great news btw, i found out how to go to Solidworks to Blender with custom normals, this is going to save me a lot of time with modeling.
    You are amazing!
    My favorite coaster of all time!