Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016

^ I'm working on making a Thomas cartexture lol
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016 edited

@UtahCoasterRider Thank you :)

@Womp You are welcome! Damn....only 2 years to late.... and I didnt even know how 3D is written 2 years ago :D Next time:)

@Zergei Thats really funny :D Good job hehe
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016 edited

Could someone that is familiar with baking in blender help me out?
    I am having issues with the baked texture being very low resolution even though my model looks good and has decent looking textures before they are baked.
    The only way I can avoid this is if I bake an image that is rediculously big (8000x8000px or greater) but isnt this too large of a texture to be applying to a model which is going to be used in NL2?

The original Textures im using are less than 2000x2000px but look sharp when applied to the model, its just after baking they look terrible.
    ^ This is a trade-off you'll need to make. You can't bake everything, as models with repeating textures (e.g. architectural models) are going to lose too much detail when the 8 texture repetitions are baked into a single 2048x2048 image.

I reckon 8192x8192 is acceptable for a small handful of models. These should be any centrepiece models that absolutely must be baked.
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016

Thanks. I was only baking this particular texture as i wanted to then put the uvs with the texture applied into photoshop to add dirt in certain areas. Is there another way of doing this without baking the textures?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016 edited

Just for my understanding, the primary 2k texture is tiled and therefore sharp and you use a second UV map for baking? It's pretty normal that when your 2k texture is tiled 4 times for example that you need a 8k picture to have the same texel density without using tiling.

But you can also use a second UV map in NL2 now to paint the dirt. It probably will still look good when the density of the dirt texture is lower than a tiled texture, you could also use some other "tricks" to improve that like use the "dirt map" as a mask to blend between a "clean" and "dirt" tiled texture for example. Or if that's possible you could even use a "clever" UV layout that you can draw with a high density just where the dirt should be present for example.

Since your object seams to be quite large, how close is the camera supposed to be to it in NL2?
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

I am currently unwrapping my entire model and then applying a material to certain faces of my object and assigning my texture to them specific faces (certain faces have a different texture to others)then unwrapping the selected faces again using a second uv map.
    I have to scale these uvs up to be ALOT bigger than the original texture in order to get a god resolution, i then bake this onto the original uv map of the entire object. Its at this point i get the terrible resolution change. Hope that makes sense.
    I think i get why im getting the resolution change now from reading the first part of your post above.

So could i use a texture of for example 1600x1600 on an object, uv unwrap it and have all the uvs fit within the 1600x1600px and then change the scale of the texture down in blender to create tiling on the object and that way keep the texture size to 1600x1600? If that makes sense? Sorry im new to this.

Could you tell me how you use 2 uv maps in NL2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

So if I'm right you're asking if it is possible to scale down a texture to create better detailed/more dense pixels on your model. The answer to that is yes. However, when you bake textures into a model, the main purpose of doing that would be to create "fake" shadowing and AO into the texture to make it look much nicer in NL2 than a normal image would. If you were to scale the baked texture down, it would destroy the coordinates the UVs were placed in and therefor ruin the texture, so you really wouldn't be able to scale down a baked texture without ruining the way it looks, but yes, you can scale down a normal texture to make it look more detailed.

Also, image files work best in powers of 2. So if you were to create an image to bake the textures into, you would most definitely want it to be 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2018... etc etc.

Hope this helps!
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

Posted By: Daz85UKI am currently unwrapping my entire model and then applying a material to certain faces of my object and assigning my texture to them specific faces (certain faces have a different texture to others)then unwrapping the selected faces again using a second uv map.
    I have to scale these uvs up to be ALOT bigger than the original texture in order to get a god resolution, i then bake this onto the original uv map of the entire object. Its at this point i get the terrible resolution change. Hope that makes sense.
    I think i get why im getting the resolution change now from reading the first part of your post above.

So could i use a texture of for example 1600x1600 on an object, uv unwrap it and have all the uvs fit within the 1600x1600px and then change the scale of the texture down in blender to create tiling on the object and that way keep the texture size to 1600x1600? If that makes sense? Sorry im new to this.

Could you tell me how you use 2 uv maps in NL2?

Which kind of model we are talking about? Show me a picture pls
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

This does help mrcrolly thanks.
    What i'm trying to be able to do is apply a texture to an object and be able to export the texture in a uv format into photoshop to then be able to paint over to add details such as dirt etc. I can only manage to export the uvs into photoshop without the textures applied. Which is why I went to baking as you can save an image of the texture as it looks in the uv editor.

Svatlas, i am at work at the moment so can't post a oicture however the object is just a trench its nothing special i am just using it to practise texturing.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

Ok. You dont need a 8k texture for it. You must work with uv mirroring(or resize) and the size of the model is important to get the optimal texel density. You can send me the file later and i send you the example back.

This is the optimal tread for it:

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FXpIk7BT.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.epicgames.com%2Funrealtournament%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3F6715-Standardizing-Texture-Density&h=667&w=1375&tbnid=9miNlMa78o5OyM%3A&docid=bmOsZOTvm-y8BM&ei=pfh8V5OPIMuxsAHay4fYAQ&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=309&page=1&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=0ahUKEwjT9a7I6t7NAhXLGCwKHdrlARsQMwggKAEwAQ&bih=979&biw=1920

Check this one too.

http://www.purepolygons.com/blog/modular-building-breakdown

also www.polycount.com is a great website for 3d-models
    Posted By: Daz85UKThanks. I was only baking this particular texture as i wanted to then put the uvs with the texture applied into photoshop to add dirt in certain areas. Is there another way of doing this without baking the textures?

I'd recommend using a decal texture for that (examples)
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

^^Svatlas thanks for those links, i'll be reading through them when I get home.

^ secretimbecile, I've been on CgTextures quite a few times and never noticed the decal textures thanks!
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

photo Blender_zpsgvlba5q2.jpg

Heres a screenshot of the object. The model has 3 materials applied to it, one for the top faces, one for the sides and one for the base. I have UV unwrapped the sides in the screenshot and on the right hand side I have increased the size in X and Y to make the texture tiled to be abke to keep the uvs wihin the texture limits in the UV/image editor. Is this the correct way?

secretimbecile, how would I go about applying a decal to one of the sides without it tiling aswell?
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

Can you send me the model pls and ill show you a better solution :)
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

Can you tell me you're email address and i'll send it over
    Use dropbox,it will be easier
    ^^^^ In your decals NL2mat: Textures -> Texture Unit -> Advanced -> Enable "Clamp to Edge"

ensure your decal texture has a 1 pixel-width border of transparent pixels, as the edge pixel will repeat otherwise. You'll probably want to set polygon offset for that material too, then you can use a duplicated face for the decal without adjustment.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

At first it´s important to get the optimal texel/pixel density for your objects. sry for my english it isnt my native language.

This is only a example and not the perfect solution but its one solution. It should help to understand it.

In order to obtain an optimal density I take as a guideline (4x4m) for a 1024x1024 texture. Your object has about 30 meters long, therefore we need 7.5x repeatable textures. It is important to think about how you want to texture something. That comes with the time.

Your example is currently in a 4x4m area, but your object is 30m long. Therefore the resolution is much worse and you would need an 8K texture e.g. But that is nonsense. We want to save texture sizes. For this area min. 256x256 up to max. 1024x1024. It depends on the vastness. Let us stay by the 1024texture.

Here is a example:

solution 1

When you have a large project now it is important to save uv space.

You can reach that by mirroring the uv's and through the split of the model. It is important to use as many mirror as possible. But it should not be noticeable. In faraway models that's no problem.

example

You can use another model part with the free uv-space. Its only important if you work with texture-atlas

It is always important to consider the size of the model. So you reach the optimal texel/pixel density. This is only a guide if you need a higher resolutio, then you need to enlarge the UV's.

I hope I could help, so that you get the optimal resolution to use without superfluous 8k textures;)

3 versions
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1b2d69o8td38l7/TrenchDeep.fbx?dl=0

Example: save textures.
    Based on this example, you'll see how to save textures.

Most users would use for your object minimum 3 individual textures. It is important to save as many as possible. At best you are using Texture Atlas. These are assembled textures. Each texture has to be calculated and thepc has only 1 Texture instead of 3 textures.

Let's assume, it would be the only object in your project and you would use 3 single 1024x1024 textures. That would be 3 x 4x4m Object area. But you can recognize this object would only need 1x 3x4m.

1x 512x1024 = 2m x 4m
    1x 256x1024 = 1m x 4m

Normally it would be even less, but that would be too confusing now. You have to calculate each UV separately. This is only a rough example.

The second alternative would be that you are using 3 individual textures of the correct size. If you do not know how a texture atlas is created.

1x 512x1024
    2x 256x1024

It is always important to know what textures you need often and which one not. You should always use the same textures. As far as it goes.

Iam no pro guys and thats my knowledge at the moment. I learn new things every day but its important to use youtube and other hp´s how much as you can.

Plssss avoid all the 3k 4k 5k 8k textures in some projects. They are absolutely not necessary :)
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016

Secretimbecile, thanks i will give that a try.

Svatlas, thankyou for taking the time to look at the model.
    How do you mirror uvs?
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas

Ive no idea how it works in blender but you must create a seperate uv-shell for each section and flip the uv-shell.

Iam sure you´ll find some tutorials on youtube.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016 edited

...there you go:

result:

directions:
    x = left to right / y = bottom to top

and: Manual: Texture Mapping In Blender

Edit: Thank you rcth ;)
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

I think im finally starting to understand texturing a bit more now. Thanks everyone who helped!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Your link doesn't work ;)
     photo PV Train Station July 7  2016 3_zpsl0t6fws8.png

A model, not completely done yet but its of a Train Station at Lagoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

Does anyone know how I can do an offset & follow of a line in Blender?

I've exported the spline and imported it succesfully, but I want to add the station platform, which follows the curve a little bit and is also offset from the spline (does anyone also know how much?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

I guess you're looking for the curve modifier:
    http://i.imgur.com/YQApv6f.png

You can then offset the object in any direction just by dragging it at usual:
    http://i.imgur.com/9k9egh9.png
    http://i.imgur.com/qCFBAWU.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Thanks Daniel. And use the array modifier to add multiple?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016 edited

That's one solution, but I would only do that on curves with an almost constant radius or if you want to maintain maximum flexibility for some reasons, it's also a question of how it should be textured in the end if you should use the array modifier or not.

But it's important that just using the array modifier can unnecessarily increases the polygon count quite quickly. This is most probably the case for longer curves that have a strong change in radius. A small example:

If you use just use the array modifier here you have all the loop cuts even on the straight section which increases the polygon count quite heavily (it's even worse when you want a cylinder to follow your curve for example that has already quite a lot polygons).
    http://i.imgur.com/WzV7Efc.png

For such cases I rather use the edge slide tool (together with the correct UVs option if I want to use tiled textures):
    I first move it all the way through the curve, the result might look terribly wrong in the first place.
    http://i.imgur.com/SYP2iUC.png

But then I just go and add edge loops where the curve bends (such that the edge loop loop density gets higher the stronger the curve bends and always keep an eye on the polycount while doing this).
    This uses way less polygons but the result is almost the same.

You can always slide the edge loops or add some more or remove some (and make it look a bit better than in my quick example) without destroying the UV map.

Maybe there are other techniques to do this or writing (or finding) a script that does the automatic loop cut insertion depending on the curve radius automatically should be also possible but even doing it manually does not take much longer than using the array modifier. ;-)

Edit: LOD is also an aspect, creating a lower poly LOD from the edge slided object can be way more faster created than from the array modifier object.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Quick question about the curve modifier:

Before I add the spline.

After I add the spline.

Is this normal behaviour? I can move it back, but it's better if it would stay at the same place. It's also a bit higher on the Z-axis when applied.

And I don't really understand the edge slide. Could you explain that a bit further?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

That's a problem with the positioning of the model (I believe). You can fix it by moving the model to be closer to the curve, or changing which coordinate the model follows the curve on.

It seems as if it's currently following the beginning of the curve where it's at an angle of sorts, try moving it closer to that then moving it along the curve itself, it should be fine then.

here you can see what the potential offset could be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Yeah, if I move it along the X-axis (red), it's correct, except still higher than before I applied the curve modifier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeCoDe

i know this is very simple but i still like it though. also it´s actually my first 3d model that isn´t looking like complete shit
    https://gyazo.com/d99cb24f3c746b674c3410396be85c5f
    https://gyazo.com/5dba6301be33984d38aafd128a044649
    https://gyazo.com/3f2cacbe88919ae76e4dc7dfaf755fe8
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK

Does anyone know what the equivalent of Sketchup's "Follow Me" tool is in Blender?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^The closest would be nurbs curve and a curve modifier. You can watch videos and also some help above with rch and bestdani.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016

Look, Womp discovered HDRI images and neat trick to use with them. :)

Lego F40 a
    Lego F40 b
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016

Damn those both look realistic as hell! Good job.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016

While I have a strong feeling I know the answer to this, does anyone know if Autodesk Inventor export out any of the file types used in NL2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ Unfortunately it doesn't, but there is a workaround. What I do is I export the model as an STL and then I convert it to a collada (dae) model. There is a convenient online converter that I like to use here. For some reason, when I export and convert my models, they end up 1000 times too big. Therefore, I use Sketchup to scale the model down and add textures.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

Hmmm interesting, Thank you. I'll look into it
    • CommentAuthorRCW
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

A station I am working on for my current coaster!

https://gyazo.com/aedb614681adce574a0e2b841eacd093
    https://gyazo.com/acbcc7a83064e05b5b78f2f5aaf779b6
    • CommentAuthorDaz85UK
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016 edited

That brick texture looks great!

Im almost finished modelling the station area of my coaster i'm calling "Mamba"
     photo Station Model_zpsub0cb10e.jpg

soon...
    ^Um, yes please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016

^ What he said
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016

I have been thinking about those trains for a project idea, I'm excited to use them!
    Yay i cant wait to cut them up in sketchup and turn them into some custom trailered monstrosity!
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016 edited

This is my project (WiP) Tron inspirerd :

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016

That looks awesome!

•  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2016

Started a station for my 4d coaster. Also does anyone have any good tutorials for texturing in nl2